quality food...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Friday

quality food...

Post by Friday »

ok....

i reckon we need a thread to discuss good foods, markets, restaurants, recipes. basically all things good food :D 8)

to start it off... has anyone tried that new(ish) place in south yarra called souk? http://www.souk.com.au
looks pretty damn good and i know has recived a great review in the age but i haven't made it there yet. worth checking out?

also who has tried urban burger or grill'd yet? best burgers ever! personally i swing more towards urban burger than grill'd but i know some people disagree...
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

i made a rad baked pumpkin risotto the other night.

easiest risotto ever.
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Where's this Urban Burger? I love burgers, are they expensive - what have they got on 'em?
elysium

Re: quality food...

Post by elysium »

Friday wrote:ok....

i reckon we need a thread to discuss good foods, markets, restaurants, ..
Livebait in the docklands is yummy as, albeit a bit $$ - the desserts are divine...
Realm Korrupt

Post by Realm Korrupt »

Shakahari on Faraday St in Carlton... the bomb vegetarian goodness!!!
Like two skeletons copulating on a tin roof...
CRITICAL @ BUNKER - Sat Feb 18th
Hip Hop/Grime/Ghetto Tek/Jungle/Drum n Bass
Bek - Kammo - Quick - Livewire
flippo

Post by flippo »

who calls a resteraunt livebait? lol.
Friday

Post by Friday »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:i made a rad baked pumpkin risotto the other night.

easiest risotto ever.
recipe? :D :wink:

Direktor wrote:Where's this Urban Burger? I love burgers, are they expensive - what have they got on 'em?
www.urbanburger.com.au
they're not really cheap but they a worth it for sure.
there has been one in port melbourne for a while and we'd driver over there from work in our lunch breaks - it's not really that close but we'd make the effort once a fortnight or so :oops: :P
they've just opened one in windsor now on chapel - 2 minute walk from my house!
Realm Korrupt wrote:Shakahari on Faraday St in Carlton... the bomb vegetarian goodness!!!
LOVE shakahari...
haven't been there for a while though.
have you check out the other places by those owners?
madame fangs or isthmus of kra.? they do meat at those two - not just vege. both are incredible food....
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Friday - I've been to Souk, it's been there about a year I think, maybe a little more actually.

Great tapas, I haven't eaten there for about 6 months, but the place is really good. Service and lay out was spot on - great feature wall at the back of the restaurant if my memory serves me correctly. Fairly pricey though - but that's expected on Chapel st.

Can anyone fill me in on a restaurant/take away called MYO (Make Yor own) I kno there's one on litle collins & one on StKilda Rd somewhere - is this place any good? word on the street is that you can make anything you want in there

I also love spud bar - soooooooo much

and try the new burger place called Grill'd - there popping up everywhere. I had a sweet chilli chicken burger from the one on Acland St last week and it was V nice! It filled me up proper.
Friday

Post by Friday »

i made a mexican soup last night.

* soak 1.5 cups of black turtle beans overnight (they kinda look like red kidney beans but are darker).

next day saute up 1 onion, 1 leak, a couple of cloves of garlic and some chillis in some oil.

once softened add the drained beans and 1 litre of vege stock.

stir in a few table spoons of salsa (you can make your own or just use a jar if you're feeling lasy).

bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and let it simmer for 1 hour.

after an hour seperate the soup in halves. blend one half and then put them back together.

serve with chopped jalapenos on top and a dollop of sour cream.

it's a super good winter warmer soup ;) :D
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

It's all about Misuzu's and Chinta Ria for me at the moment.

:wink:
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
Friday

Post by Friday »

Feigan wrote:Friday - I've been to Souk, it's been there about a year I think, maybe a little more actually.

Great tapas, I haven't eaten there for about 6 months, but the place is really good. Service and lay out was spot on - great feature wall at the back of the restaurant if my memory serves me correctly. Fairly pricey though - but that's expected on Chapel st.
cool. i'll give it a go :)
yeah, i saw on the website that mains are about $30 each plus entrees $15-20. ahhh well, will just have to make sure i enjoy it! :P
Feigan wrote: I also love spud bar - soooooooo much
totally!
i eat there AT LEAST once a week.
i few weeks ago i ate there 4 times in one week :oops:
it's soooooo good though :D
Feigan wrote: and try the new burger place called Grill'd - there popping up everywhere. I had a sweet chilli chicken burger from the one on Acland St last week and it was V nice! It filled me up proper.
grill'd is ok but i reckon the salads they use are kinda limp and the vege burgers are really dry n bready...
good chips though!
i've been an urban burger port melbourne fan for ages - been to the windsor one once since it opened (less than a week ago) and it didn't quite live up to port melb. give them a couple of weeks to get into the rhythm of it though and they may pick up their game ;)
Last edited by Friday on Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dust

Post by dust »

I went to Souk about a year ago (if you mean the one on Chaps near corner of Greville and Chapel.

I thought it was hugely overpriced and a bit pretentious actually. My calamari was chewy. Good wine list though.

On the other end of the spectrum I went to Walters for my anniversary recently and that place is AWESOME. Best steak ever and beautiful tapas.
Friday

Post by Friday »

great_magnet wrote:It's all about Misuzu's and Chinta Ria for me at the moment.

chinta ria was my regular for a while but i haven't given it a go for a while. should get back into it :)

misuzus rocks!
what do you get there?
front counter stuff or stuff of the main menu?
i'm in love with their soba noodle salad.
and the dengaku - that sweet miso paste they make on the top of it is fucking awesome!

i've just decided what i'm having for lunch ;) :P
Last edited by Friday on Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

I like red orange in commercial rd... probably not ideal for vego's though :wink:

also saigon rose in chapel for vietnamese... mmm beef la lop! *drools*
Last edited by Mellogs on Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and basically that's the situation
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

If you're a King Island produce fan you can't go past Pure South on Southbank.

Mouth-wateringly beautiful food...
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Friday

Post by Friday »

dust wrote: I went to Souk about a year ago (if you mean the one on Chaps near corner of Greville and Chapel.

I thought it was hugely overpriced and a bit pretentious actually. My calamari was chewy. Good wine list though.
hmmmmm.

i need to find a quality restaurant around there to take some peeps in a couple of weeks.... i thought i had it decided!

any other suggestions?
dust wrote:
On the other end of the spectrum I went to Walters for my anniversary recently and that place is AWESOME. Best steak ever and beautiful tapas.
only been there once... nice stuff ;)
pretty meaty for a vegetarian though :( :P
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

I also received a pie maker recently for my birthday

it's called "Pastry Creations"

This is one of the reasons why I haven't been eating out very much lately

I'm hooked on sweet filled pies at the moment - apple, cinnamon & blueberry was last nights menu

although I made a big proper shepherds pie aswell, and there was left overs, so I think that tonight I will have a Shepherds pie pie (if that makes sense)
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Friday wrote:
great_magnet wrote:It's all about Misuzu's and Chinta Ria for me at the moment.

chinta ria was my regular for a while but i haven't given it a go for a while. should get back into it :)

misuzus rocks!
what do you get there?
front counter stuff or stuff of the main menu?
i'm in love with there soba noodle salad.
and the dengaku - that sweet miso paste they make on the top of it is fucking awesome!

i've just decided what i'm having for lunch ;) :P
I generally go to the Sake Bar. Love everything on the menu, especially the Yaki Niku, Tempura Prawns etc etc - it's all good.

Had a mixed platter next door which was amazing...

Still haven't been upstairs, saving that for my anniversary! :wink:
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

if you're north of the brown:

dinner:
- umago's, of course. nuff said.
- fitz curry cafe on johnston (near laundry) does the best indian i can find in the fist.
- ume nomiya on gertrude for japanese cuisine, about $14 for a main. farkin good.

lunch:
- bimbo's calabrese pizza for cheap weekday lunches.
- that unnamed deli on brunners next to the flower shop for BLTs, spinach and silverbeet pies, sambusics and meatball wraps.
- boscastle pies.

breaks:
- ici, corner of napier and kerr.
- cafe rosamond (behind off ya tree, just off smith st)
- cafe element on derby street.
mrj

Post by mrj »

The last word on food....

Pearl Resteraunt, Church St Richmond

Entree - Minced Quail San Choi Bow

Without a doubt the most delicious thing I have ever eaten in my life.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Friday

Post by Friday »

:lol:
my boy joe really wants one of those pie maker things...
i think i need to fork out and surprise him with one.
they look pretty damn good...
i wanna get a bread maker too. i didn't realise that you can actually set them to knead and rise pizza dough or pasta dough as well. that's pretty damn cool! i'll make home made pasta more often for sure knowing that!

the misuzus platter is pretty damn good... once you get to know the menu though you can just choose all the things you really like and make your own platter (ends up cheaper and you get all your faves ;) )...

hate to ruin it for you but upstairs is the same menu as the restuarant! not like the sake bar part where they have different options. it's just another seating area.... :(
still get a table up there some time though! :D
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

omg i need food now :fat:
www.dubstep.com.au
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

CAKE! FETTUCINE!

Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

Friday wrote::lol:
my boy joe really wants one of those pie maker things...
i think i need to fork out and surprise him with one.
they look pretty damn good...
i wanna get a bread maker too. i didn't realise that you can actually set them to knead and rise pizza dough or pasta dough as well. that's pretty damn cool! i'll make home made pasta more often for sure knowing that!

the misuzus platter is pretty damn good... once you get to know the menu though you can just choose all the things you really like and make your own platter (ends up cheaper and you get all your faves ;) )...

hate to ruin it for you but upstairs is the same menu as the restuarant! not like the sake bar part where they have different options. it's just another seating area.... :(
my dad used to have a bread maker on his boat. got really creative and started making cheese and spinach breads... you can get ones with timers so you can set it to have bread made when you wake up in the morning. yumo!
Friday

Post by Friday »

Mellogs wrote:I like red orange in commercial rd... probably not ideal for vego's though :wink:
i haven't been there yet. i love orange though (it's the same owners right?) so i should check it out.
we went up to have breaky at orange last weekend and it was too packed so tried the place next door - zen.
they have a really good menu... french owners so a good french influence on it.
i had a breakfast baguette - mushrooms, tomatos, spinach, egg etc in a baguette.
joe had a north african breakfast with spicy sausages and grilled potato chunks etc. he said the sausages were some of the best he'd had.
Mellogs wrote: also saigon rose in chapel for vietnamese... mmm beef la lop! *drools*
good choice ;) :)
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Friday wrote::lol:

:cry:

Back to the drawing board... :wink:
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
flippo

Post by flippo »

can't get enough pumpkin latley

my pumpkin/sausage pasta is good.

fry choped butternut pumpkin, chorizo (or some kind of well seasoned sausage), onion, chilli and spinach and garlic. no herbs its better clean, just some parsley in there. Put a small amount of chilli sauce and some xtra virg olive oil in.
whack on some pasta, salt n pepa and yum!
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

i eat at work alot (public house), my favs at the moments are

puy lentils with goats curd and quail eggs
morrocan lamb meatballs
seared rare kangaroo on cauliflower puree

bigups to david danks the head chief, loves his dnb and breaks makes working with him an absolute pleasure...when it gets busy we chuck on andy c and brock out

other place im really liking

flavours of lakhoum on swan street, mmmmm morrocan lentil soup

and Vin in prahrah...top quality wine list there
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

Mellogs wrote:also saigon rose in chapel for vietnamese... mmm beef la lop! *drools*
^^ best green curry i've ever eated.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

Friday wrote: grill'd is ok but i reckon the salads they use are kinda limp and the vege burgers are really dry n bready...
good chips though!
i've been an urban burger port melbourne fan for ages - been to the windsor one once since it opened (less than a week ago) and it didn't quite live up to port melb. give them a couple of weeks to get into the rhythm of it though and they may pick up there game ;)
100% agree. Grill'd is okay but the vegie burger I had at the Glenferrie one was shitful ... but the dipping sauce for the chips - yum.

Urban Burger is a beast ... those burgers are works of art and will fill you for days!
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

Friday wrote:
Mellogs wrote:I like red orange in commercial rd... probably not ideal for vego's though :wink:
i haven't been there yet. i love orange though (it's the same owners right?) so i should check it out.
we went up to have breaky at orange last weekend and it was too packed so tried the place next door - zen.
they have a really good menu... french owners so a good french influence on it.
i had a breakfast baguette - mushrooms, tomatos, spinach, egg etc in a baguette.
joe had a north african breakfast with spicy sausages and grilled potato chunks etc. he said the sausages were some of the best he'd had.
Mellogs wrote: also saigon rose in chapel for vietnamese... mmm beef la lop! *drools*
good choice ;) :)
I used to love eating at Orange... until a bad incident with a chocolate milkshake.
Was given warm milk with cocoa in it (gross!)
Sent it back saying a. the milk isnt cold, b. wtf is with the cocoa! and c. where the hell is the icecream and choc syrup??

got another warm milk and cocoa powder.. their excuse was that they couldnt keep ice cream cold. :shock:
Friday

Post by Friday »

Mellogs wrote: my dad used to have a bread maker on his boat. got really creative and started making cheese and spinach breads... you can get ones with timers so you can set it to have bread made when you wake up in the morning. yumo!
yum!

i make bread a fair bit anyway but would make more i'm sure with a breadmaker...

i really like making italian breads. ciabatta. or an olive and rosemary loaf.
get some good olive oil to dip them in - they don't need anything else on them. yumo indeed!
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

bread = carbs = evil!
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

$50 for a 2 pie maker Friday

even comes with the pastry cutters and a little recipe book which you don't really need because you can just chuck anything in there that you want!

I went Cecconi's @ southbank once - that was good - bloody expensive, but bloody good!
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Mellogs - your dad had a boat?

My dad also has a boat - but it has no pie maker

what sort of boat does your dad have?
ukime

Post by ukime »

Winter is great for cooking - cozy up in a nice warm (central heated) house with good wine, food and company.
AO wrote:i made a rad baked pumpkin risotto the other night.
Pumpkin & pinenut risotto is one of my specialties too - such a good Winter dinner; filling and tasty.

Did a cook up with some friends on the weekend - all fresh and healthy. Pasta salad, garden salad (with crumbled Greek fetta), sushi and for a main: freshwater fillets baked in foil and seasoned with garlic, lemon and corriander.

yum yum and yum.
"I have ridden the mighty moon worm." - Al Gore.
dust

Post by dust »

tiggus85 wrote:i eat at work alot (public house), my favs at the moments are

morrocan lamb meatballs

bigups to david danks the head chief, loves his dnb and breaks makes working with him an absolute pleasure...when it gets busy we chuck on andy c and brock out

You work really close to me. I work on William St. just off Church, but i've never been to Public House. Perhaps I should come say hi one day.

Anyway Flavours of Lakhoum rules. Particularly for someone like me, who can't have dairy or wheat. Their lamb kebabs with salad are awesome!
Friday

Post by Friday »

shepherd knows ;) 8)

but bread is so good mel! as long as it's in moderation... everything in moderation ;) :D

risotto sounds good ukime. share the recipe!
i've been using danish fetta in some salads recently instead of greek. creamy n yummy :D
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

has anyone got any nice filo pastry recipes ... i had these goat cheese ones when I was in Thailand and they were beyond words! They look pretty easy to prepare.
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

dust wrote:
tiggus85 wrote:i eat at work alot (public house), my favs at the moments are

morrocan lamb meatballs

You work really close to me. I work on William St. just off Church, but i've never been to Public House. Perhaps I should come say hi one day.

Anyway Flavours of Lakhoum rules. Particularly for someone like me, who can't have dairy or wheat. Their lamb kebabs with salad are awesome!
yeah pop in, its worth a look for the food, most of the clientele are wankers on fri-sat nights but week nights are nice in there, just ask for tigga and ill sought you out with some good food i also make a mean spicy bloody mary. dont know how much we have that is non dairy or wheat based, :?
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

ukime wrote:
AO wrote:i made a rad baked pumpkin risotto the other night.
Pumpkin & pinenut risotto is one of my specialties too - such a good Winter dinner; filling and tasty.
yer. this is waay too easy to make. its not real tho. but it doesnt matter.

1 can of cream of pumpkin soup.
1 litre vegi stock
teaspoon of mixed herbs.
1 3/4 cups of aborio rice
some crushed garlic (however much you can handle)

mix it up in a ovenproof thing (i used a casserole dish) bung it in the oven for about an hour or a bit more on 190 stirring occasionally.

when its nice and risotto like, take it out and stir in a cup of peas, 1/2 cup of grated fresh parmisan cheese, a handfull of pine nuts and 75 grams of baby spinach leaves. bung in some pepper and salt too.

let it sit for a bit and then eat it!

yum. makes a crapload too.
www.dubstep.com.au
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yo PIE KING!

Where can u get one of those Pie Makers at? I want one... I'm very hungry!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I thought Souk was really good, so did the clients we took there. Pretty good Tapas, but not the best I've had.

probably going to Urban Burger for lunch

Also have to recommend Quinns restaurant called Za Bar on Acland St, he's the wickedest Chef around and his desserts are to die for. Banana & Chocolate Spring Rolls with Raspberry & Chocolate sauce or Passionfruit Wontons with dipping sauce. :homerdrool:

GM is a Noah, Chinta Ria has the best Curry Laksa I've ever had.

for Seafood check out Watergrill on Toorak Rd

somebody mentioned Pearl aswell, my Boss lives directly above it and we eat there all the time, pretty bloody good!
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

yeah brb - pearl is excellent. have eaten there 3 times this year and always loved it. good for boozy long lunches.
Friday

Post by Friday »

i haven't been to public house - must check it out...

or pearl or za bar for that matter! where is pearl? what kind of food?

pumpkin risotto for dinner tonight... :wink: 8) :D
Friday

Post by Friday »

breaksRbest wrote: probably going to Urban Burger for lunch
do it!

check out that menu...

it seriously doesn't get much better than this shit!

Beef patties are low fat and made from 100% pure beef.

Any style of burger can be served without a bun for measured-carb-intake diets.

All chicken is chemical and hormone free.

All burgers come in a fresh daily baked bun and are a sour dough wholemeal blend.

urban classic $7.20
1/3 lb prime beef, salad, relish, aioli.

urban legend $9.90
1/3 lb prime beef, bacon, melted cheddar, dijon mustard, salad, relish, aioli.

royale with brie $7.90
1/3 lb prime beef, briecheese, salad, relish, aioli.

sensei $9.20
1/3 lb wagyu beef, wasabimayonnaise, salad, relish.

loaded hog $9.90
1/3 lb prime beef, avocado, bacon, salad, relish, aioli.

satay spice $7.80
1/3 lb prime beef, spicy peanut sauce, salad, relish, aioli.

sombrero $7.80
1/3 lb prime beef, jalapeno sauce, salad, relish, aioli.

stilton style $7.90
1/3 lb prime beef, blue cheesedressing, salad, relish.

bambino $5.20
mini prime beef, salad, relish, aioli.

urban chick $8.20
fresh breast of chicken, salad, relish, aioli.

c.a.b. $10.50
fresh breast of chicken,avocado, bacon, salad,relish, aioli.

triple c $9.90
fresh breast of chicken,camembert, cranberry sauce,salad, relish.

pear infusion $9.80
fresh breast of chicken,fresh pear, parmesan cheese,rocket, relish, aioli.

brie twist $9.90
fresh breast of chicken, brie, fresh pesto, salad, relish, aioli.

urban kai $9.60
fresh breast of chicken, fresh tomato, coriander, rocket, relish, sweet chilli sauce & lime.

chorizo $8.90
spicy chorizo sausage, dijon mustard, rocket, tomato, relish, aioli.

bambino chicken $5.90
fresh chicken strips, salad, relish, aioli.

tofu special $7.90
organic tofu & vegetable pattie, horseradish, salad, relish, aioli.

port melbourne $7.90
marinated portabella mushroom,red peppers, rocket,red onion, pesto, aioli.

vegan vibe $7.90
red kidney bean, lentil, coriander & chilli pattie, avocado, salad, relish (aioli optional).

lite & lush $7.90
grilled eggplant, bocconcini, fresh basil, baby spinach, relish, pesto.

ub fries $3.00

ub dipping sauces $0.50
satay sauce, tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce, aioli (homemade roasted garlic mayonnaise).

ub shakes $3.80
chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, banana, lime, caramel, jaffa, coffee, butterscotch, (malt optional).

8) 8) 8)
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Hook into ZaBa - I'm a big fan

Thursday night until 9 is half price cocktails & 2 foir 1 pizza's aswell - Great pizza too!

Pie makers can be sourced from any of your favorite white good retailers -The Good Guys, Clive Peeters etc.

get on to it Spies Dog

we should start a pie appreciation thread - I'm on to it
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Pearl is on Church St, just as you cross over the bridge from Chapel St. I would describe it as modern Chinese. Beautiful food.

Went to Ezard's a couple of weeks ago, lordy... :shock:

Still have a soft spot for Mecca at Southbank - Middle Eastern goodness!
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Friday wrote:
royale with brie $7.90
1/3 lb prime beef, briecheese, salad, relish, aioli.
Mmmm, that is a tasty burger...
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
ukime

Post by ukime »

AO wrote:mix it up in a ovenproof thing (i used a casserole dish) bung it in the oven for about an hour or a bit more on 190 stirring occasionally.
oh right - never made a baked risotto ... does it go mushy at all? That sounds awesome for a quick made risotto meal. Mmmmm..

I normally:

1) brown onions in olive oil in dish
2) add aborio rice and heat a little
3) add heated vegetable stock bit by bit, slowly stirring into rice until it all starts to absorb (careful how much though, your aborio will go mushy if too much liquid and stirring) and the rice goes a bit more see through.
4) cook rice for a bit, until kinda chewy, but not too soft.
5) add mashed roasted pumpkin with whatever else you want (you can add more stuff here if you want)
6) cook until "rice is nice".
7) anything else you wanna add fresh/cooked (such as pinenuts).
8) stir as needed, serve warm.

You dont wanna cook the rice too slowly with everything in, otherwise it'll get mushy and dries out ... it's about practice.
"I have ridden the mighty moon worm." - Al Gore.