quality food...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:ok. here is my breaky dinner. it was fantastic! one of the eggs were slightly overdone. but still runny goodness.

oh no next page!!

MUSHROOMS ARE KING!
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
quick

Post by quick »

:lol:

hard work can't go unnoticed hey Hughbert??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

damn straight! LOOK AT IT!

its got 4 rashers of bacon in there. 3 eggs. 2 tomatos. 3 cloves of garlic. shitloads of spinach, and MUSHROOMS!

OMG

ive done me dash. need a rest. let my heart deal with all that BACON FAT!

mmmmm.
www.dubstep.com.au
ukime

Post by ukime »

haha nice one AO - is that a nice, sugary glass of coke to go with that in the background?
"I have ridden the mighty moon worm." - Al Gore.
quick

Post by quick »

Red Wine I bet.
ukime

Post by ukime »

Ah, suppose thats a bit better for ya - not sure if it'll combat any of that grease though =p
Friday

Post by Friday »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:i think im gunn make a massive breakfast fry up for dinner.

is that wrong? ive done it before and got away with it OK.
i do that all the time :oops:
yours looks the bomb!
i'd make up some homemade hollandaise with that too and it would be poifect :D ;)
quick wrote:I wan't to start a new thread, sorry Friday, about all the $10 parma/porterhouse and pot deals around melb, I really need to know where one is every night of the week.
:lol: no need to apologise :P
do it ;)

ok...
so sure enough we just had pumpkin risotto and apple turnover for dinner.
sauteed up some onion and cooked that in the risotto and also added some mushrooms... was ace.
added some clove powder and nutmeg to the apple turnovers too. yumo!
thanks for the recipes guys :D
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

Friday wrote:i'd make up some homemade hollandaise with that too and it would be poifect :D ;)
i actually made hollandaise for the first time a few weeks ago at my girlfriends house! it worked and it was awesome.

made way too much tho. haha.
www.dubstep.com.au
Friday

Post by Friday »

i love it...
i've have to had to cut back a bit though :P
i got to the point that i was eating it on everything :oops: :roll:
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Well, tonight I had a chicken, bacon and avocado burger from burgerepublic on Errol St. Pretty good.

But I don't know why I didn't just make the damn thing myself. I've always thought cooking is easy, it's the shopping that counts.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:i think im gunn make a massive breakfast fry up for dinner.

is that wrong? ive done it before and got away with it OK.
No, nothing wrong with that. If you can have a chicken & bacon burger for dinner, I see very little difference.

I actually think it's wrong that we eat that sort of thing for breakfast. Ever heard of fruit, people?
mecka

Post by mecka »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:
Friday wrote:i'd make up some homemade hollandaise with that too and it would be poifect :D ;)
i actually made hollandaise for the first time a few weeks ago at my girlfriends house! it worked and it was awesome.

made way too much tho. haha.
Yeh and hollandaise is really easy to fuck up as well... big ups to u hugh.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

Special Hegg wrote:I actually think it's wrong that we eat that sort of thing for breakfast. Ever heard of fruit, people?
isnt it better to have a massive breaky then smaller lunch then a light dinner?

i hardly ever eat breaky during the week. only on the weekend when its usually about midday and usually a big fry up. haha.

:P

and yeah, i was surprised at the sauce when i made it. took ages tho. all about not heating it too fast or too much.
www.dubstep.com.au
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Lats night I made a shpherds pie pie

it was left over shepherds pie, in puff pastry in my pie maker

it was GOLD!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

A0, yet another geeza who has no idea how to cook Bacon :?

Crispy or STFU
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

breaksRbest wrote:A0, yet another geeza who has no idea how to cook Bacon :?

Crispy or STFU
i cook it how i like it! its crispy on the edges. i wanna be able to put a whole rasher in my gob at once.
you STFU. or STFU.
www.dubstep.com.au
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

No Soup For YOU!

now

STFU
ukime

Post by ukime »

Friday wrote:so sure enough we just had pumpkin risotto and apple turnover for dinner.
Sounds yumo indeed Friday! Yay! Threads can be useful in real life!

Yeah I agree, Hollandaise sauce would have topped that off perfectly AO. Speaking of which, anyone got a decent recipe for making it?
AO wrote:isnt it better to have a massive breaky then smaller lunch then a light dinner?
Yeah, that would make sense ... since you need most of your energy during the day (unless you're headin out for the night).
Feigan wrote:No Soup For YOU!
Anyone got any good soup recipes? ;)
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

new menue at work looks so tasty, cant wait
Friday

Post by Friday »

ukime wrote:
Friday wrote:so sure enough we just had pumpkin risotto and apple turnover for dinner.
Sounds yumo indeed Friday! Yay! Threads can be useful in real life!

Yeah I agree, Hollandaise sauce would have topped that off perfectly AO. Speaking of which, anyone got a decent recipe for making it?
yes they can be useful! :P
i used to know how to make hollandaise of the top of my head but i haven't made it in a while :(

it's basically
butter, white wine vinegar, egg yolks, white pepper, cayenne pepper and salt.

will look up the quantities tonight n let you know ;) :D
ukime wrote: Anyone got any good soup recipes? ;)
seriously try the mexican black turtle bean one i posted on the first page. it looks really basic but it's one of those things where simple = perfection :wink:
you gotta like a bit of spice to be into it though :D :wink:
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

i think i used too much butter when i made it. or maybe it just seemed like too much.
www.dubstep.com.au
ukime

Post by ukime »

Friday wrote:seriously try the mexican black turtle bean one i posted on the first page. it looks really basic but it's one of those things where simple = perfection :wink:
you gotta like a bit of spice to be into it though :D :wink:
sweet. copied and will try ;)
Friday

Post by Friday »

i also made another soup the other day that was really nice.

just get any basic leek and potato soup recipe but chuck in a big handful of rocket and a squeeze of lemon juice before you blend it.

once it's blended up the rocket and lemon just add a really nice peppery bite to it ;)
Friday

Post by Friday »

oh yeah....

another thing i made that is really yummy is picked onions!

this is a recipe that someone else sent to me...

now we can have ploughmans lunch all the time (baguette bread, tasty cheese and pickled onions ;) )

Ingredients:-
· 2 kg small onions (brown or white, or any mix of brown and white is O.K.)
· 1.5 litres vinegar (see notes)
· Pickling spices. (see notes)
· Sugar (see notes)
· Salt (see notes)

Notes:-
The vinegar should be at least 6% acidity. Cheap supermarket vinegars do not seem to indicate the acidity on the label, so are probably less than 6%. Almost any mixture of vinegars seem to work well; cider, wine, spirit or malt, depending on preference. Good quality vinegars (7% or above will increase the overall acidity)

The picking spices I use are available in local supermarkets in 15gm or 20gm packs. They consist of several types of peppercorns; black, white, brown and of differing sizes. Also in the pack are some small seed husks, which may be mace. To this I add a cinnamon stick and a few bay leaves, but the choice is up to individual taste.

The sugar is added to take off the sharpness of the acidity of the vinegar and the amount used will vary depending on personal taste.

The salt is used to make a brine to soak the onions and the amount depends on the size of the container used.

Method:-
Skin the onions, removing the outer membranes and any blemishes. Place the onions in a large container (plastic or enamel coated, not metal), cover with water and add salt to make brine. The amount of salt is not critical: I add salt slowly until the water becomes slightly cloudy. Place container in a cool place overnight, to allow the brine to draw out the juices in the onions.

Next morning, pour the vinegar into a heating pan, add the spices and heat slowly until the mix reaches boiling point. Turn the heat down, and, stirring occasionally, simmer until the spices have infused their flavour into the vinegar (test this by smell or, if you can bear it, by tasting; about 20 minutes is enough). Turn off the heat and add 3 tablespoons of granulated white sugar; stir and allow to dissolve. Taste vinegar to see if its acidity is sufficiently reduced for your liking. If acidity is too strong, add 1 tablespoon of sugar and taste again. Repeat until the balance between acidity and sweetness is to you liking. Set aside the vinegar mix and allow to cool to room temperature.

Strain the brine off the onions and rinse onions in fresh water to remove any residual brine. Pack onions tightly into glass containers . The containers should be of the type that can be capped (coffee companies sell their coffee in glass jars with half glass/ half plastic lids, which are ideal), but not sealed, as the vinegar/sugar mix can cause some fermentation and build-up of pressure. Pour the cool vinegar into the containers until all the onions are covered. Don’t be afraid to allow some of the spices to go into the containers; not only is it visually appealing, by where the spices come into contact with an onion, they impart an extra flavour.

Place containers in a safe, cool storage for 4 weeks, after which the onions can be tasted. They should be really good. Enjoy them. If you feel they have not sufficiently absorbed the spiced vinegar (i.e, still taste like ordinary onions), then leave another 2 weeks and try again. However, they have a limited lifespan, and will start to go soft if kept too long, although this can be increased by refrigeration. 8 months is probably the limit, when stored at 20 deg C or less.

Remember this:- pickled onions made to this recipe are quite aggressively acid (unless you add heaps of sugar), so they should not be eaten with other strong-tasting foods ( i.e. blue cheese) The flavours will conflict. A more bland cheese and unsalted biscuits are more suitable.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

check this shit out. :homerdrool:

www.dubstep.com.au
ukime

Post by ukime »

boh :shock: Chocolate Raspberry Waffle (!!!) Pudding!

... and I thought my chocolate self-saucing puddings were good.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I had a Chicken Curry and some Potato Roti from Ghurka's last night. Nothing to write home about though.

I'm jonesin' for a good Indian curry. Ever since I moved house there's not an Indian place close to my house anymore :(
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

we get this super food ideas mag at work. im reading it now. (its where i got that waffle pudding from)

its making me drool all over my desk. omg.

i gunna cook so much rad stuff.

its got a mad lookin cheese and herb damper with mustard and honey butter recipe that i might just fire up the pizza oven for while im on holidays!!

drooooooooooool x1000000000000
www.dubstep.com.au
Friday

Post by Friday »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote: its got a mad lookin cheese and herb damper with mustard and honey butter recipe that i might just fire up the pizza oven for while im on holidays!!
that sounds awesome!
recipe?
i like the one they do at bakers delight - spinach & feta dampa. has big chunks of feta in it.

i reckon gurkhas has gone down hill brb :(

i've also been looking for a good indian place in the windsor / prahran area... can't find one that seems to have a proper tandoor over... anyone know one?
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

i'll scan the page in.

too many words. hah.
www.dubstep.com.au
Friday

Post by Friday »

:lol:

thanks! :D :D
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Friday, bRb:

Bala Di Dhaba on Malvern Rd is pretty damn good, about the only decent Indian in the area. Otherwise there's an number of good places in South Melbourne (Bedi's etc) that you probably already know about.

Nothing but Thai and Japanese in our neck of the woods...
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

you get a free salmon thingo too. :P

Last edited by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 on Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.dubstep.com.au
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

great_magnet wrote:Nothing but Thai and Japanese in our neck of the woods...

yeah, I know. I'm getting over it pretty quickly.

Flavours of India on Commercial Rd or Shiva on Malvern Rd are both good, but they both require me to drive there :roll:
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

breaksRbest wrote:
yeah, I know. I'm getting over it pretty quickly.

Flavours of India on Commercial Rd or Shiva on Malvern Rd are both good, but they both require me to drive there :roll:
Next time I'm coming to the coop let me know and I'll pick up an order from Shiva, I'm all of 1 minute from them... :wink:

They deliver but they charge $5 :shock:
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Friday

Post by Friday »

that damper looks sooooo yummy.
i remember how we used to make damper in bonfire at our holiday house when i was little.
mmmmm.

i don't know about that call about just thai and japanese... there's a heap of other stuff too. and there is actually a fair amount of indian - i reckon there are about 5 within a few minutes of my place - just none have a tandoor over :(
Friday

Post by Friday »

great_magnet wrote: Next time I'm coming to the coop let me know and I'll pick up an order from Shiva, I'm all of 1 minute from them... :wink:

how much do you charge :?:

:idea: :P
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Friday wrote:
great_magnet wrote: Next time I'm coming to the coop let me know and I'll pick up an order from Shiva, I'm all of 1 minute from them... :wink:

how much do you charge :?:

:idea: :P
Hmmm... could be on to something!!

You're right about the Japanese/Thai thing, I was just being facetious. Plenty of options around Toorak/Prahran/Windsor, we're spoilt really...
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

Fents wrote:
TheOperatives wrote:ok

For duck i must say pacific house (vic st , richmond)

King of kings - Russell st - Egg chiffon with a choice of roasted meat (try the spare ribs)

Desert house - lt bourke st- combo noodles (choose your condiments and sauce base) proper boh....

Indian Star - Maribrynong Rd

Stokers -Ivanhoe - crepes... mmmm
Peing Duck or normal duck poon? Next time we go to Da Hu in Lt Bourke you and crew are coming.

Stokers in Ivanhoe is a MUST - Best pancakes in Melbs...and its on the way to Watsie ;)
serious roast duck biz........

and for a good roast chicken recipe:

get a whole chicken and marinade with dark soy, light soy, honey, salt, pepper, sesame oil(few drops, stuff is potent), and sambal(or chilli paste) and stuff the inside with whole garlic cloves and pickled onions.

cook in oven @180 degrees for between 35 to 45 mins depending onsize of chicken...

pour sauce into a small pot, remove excess oil and add a bit of water.. heat.. and theres a wicked sauce for the chicken....
ImageImage
mecka

Post by mecka »

breaksRbest wrote:Flavours of India on Commercial Rd or Shiva on Malvern Rd are both good, but they both require me to drive there :roll:
Jesus is Flavours of India still open? I used to work there, a long time ago. I haven't been able to eat curry since working there and that was... what 4 years ago?
Stray

Post by Stray »

Can anyone recommend a good recipe website?
I've been looking at a few but it's hard to tell the difference between the good and the bad.. :?
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

The BEST indian in Melbourne is at Bedi's near albert park lake..
...and basically that's the situation
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

Mellogs wrote:The BEST indian in Melbourne is at Bedi's near albert park lake..
i think i may have heard of that joint.

i reckon ive tried every single indian joint within 5km of my house. and there is a lot of em.

:jalfrezi:
www.dubstep.com.au
quick

Post by quick »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:
Mellogs wrote:The BEST indian in Melbourne is at Bedi's near albert park lake..
i think i may have heard of that joint.

i reckon ive tried every single indian joint within 5km of my house. and there is a lot of em.

:jalfrezi:
Singhs is good on Lygon St Brunswick.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

indeed it is.

:D
www.dubstep.com.au
Friday

Post by Friday »

chestnuts.... mmmmmmmmm.....

:D :D 8)
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:isnt it better to have a massive breaky then smaller lunch then a light dinner?
Sure. But regardless of how much one eats, wouldn't fresh food be better for you in the morning than a plate of grease? All about the slow release energy.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

my stomach can't handle fruit in the morning (bananas maybe), so i either poach, scrambled or fry eggs with bacon on rye, and tomato or spinach if i can be bothered. i do this almost every day, my cholesterol is fine and i'm still on the bones of my ass.
gnat

Post by gnat »

Quick, primo meal:
PASTA with pesto, cherry toms and fetta

Cook fresh spaghetti, toss through a jar of Sacla Rocket pesto and sauteed grape toms (whole punnet halved) +
few big handfuls baby spinach and lots of crumbled fetta.
10 mins- delish..
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

has anyone mentioned Clay Pots yet?

mmmmmmmmmmmmm Fish
quick

Post by quick »

Anyone in the area of Fitroy wanna come down for a din dins at marquis of lorne tomoz... good food, I'll be down there with a few others from here.