Election 2010

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Re: Election 2010

Post by Charlie73 »

yeah cept it is in working hours! grrrrr
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

Charlie73 wrote:
same o wrote:
system wrote:+1 on the political apathy being pathetic.

get involved. avoiding providing your input into the political process just leads to bad stuff (e.g. a lack of checks, balances and controls) in the political process.
This!

If every one felt there vote did not count then nothing would happen. we are extremely fortunate to even have the democratic process we have and tbh preferential voting is by far the fairest form of voting (at least we don't have the same as USA or UK).

I really hope that the greens gain the balance of power in the senate with a labour government, maybe even one in the house of reps.
+2
+3

we might even get the Greens candidate elected in our seat (Melbourne), as Lindsay Tanner is stepping down, feel like my vote might actually count :joy:

Issues and Polls

The Greens first preference vote has increased from 15.7% in 2001 to 19.0% in 2004 and 22.8% in 2007. While the Greens still finished third in 2007, they passed the Liberals during the distribution of preferences. With Liberal preferences favouring the Greens, Labor's vote after preferences was only 54.7% to 45.3% for the Greens. Were it not for the chance of the Greens outpolling the Liberals, Melbourne would be an ultra-safe Labor seat with a margin of more than 20%. Based on Senate votes in Melbourne at the last two elections, the Greens should already hold this seat were it not for Tanner's personal vote as sitting member.
Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

lilstormer wrote:
we might even get the Greens candidate elected in our seat (Melbourne), as Lindsay Tanner is stepping down, feel like my vote might actually count :joy:

Issues and Polls

The Greens first preference vote has increased from 15.7% in 2001 to 19.0% in 2004 and 22.8% in 2007. While the Greens still finished third in 2007, they passed the Liberals during the distribution of preferences. With Liberal preferences favouring the Greens, Labor's vote after preferences was only 54.7% to 45.3% for the Greens. Were it not for the chance of the Greens outpolling the Liberals, Melbourne would be an ultra-safe Labor seat with a margin of more than 20%. Based on Senate votes in Melbourne at the last two elections, the Greens should already hold this seat were it not for Tanner's personal vote as sitting member.
Yeah big tings for Bandt and the Greens. I remember at the last mayoral election the greens candidate had some good ideas for Melb too; public transport improvements etc.

One of my uni mates is producing a C31 TV show called "The Inquiry"; political satire with some good young writers. They did one season a while back, and they're doing an election season coming up (for both federal and state).

Weekly half hour show. C31 now has a digital license in case you didn't realise too - Channel 44 on your set-top/hdtv - you will need to a RE-SCAN (auto) your channels quickly though. Well worth it.

I've done the opening titles and will be doing other motion graphics for them throughout.
I'll let you all know when it starts airing. You can watch clips from last season here:
http://www.youtube.com/theinquirytv
They had some decent guests on!
It wasn't bad considering the producer was 19 at the time and they're always improving :)
flippo

Post by flippo »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/07/27/2965803.htm

You're a fucking dinosaur, Tony. You're an absolute fucking Neanderthal. I'm often cautious to be over zealous responding to an political decision when I can't be confident I understand all the factors, but this is something I know a fair bit about and I can confidently say it's blatantly mindless, science-less pandering to the short-sighted, the ignorant and the selfish. Not an ounce of logic in this beyond catching the mouth-breather vote. The paradigm of oceanic inexhaustability belongs in the 17th century, and so do you, fuckwit.
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

http://www.theinquiry.tv/ [links to youtube clips]
http://www.theinquiry.tv/episodes/ [download full ep mp4s[
http://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/the- ... d386230709 [itunes]

The show also airs 10pm Thurs nights on C31 (CHANNEL 44 DIGITAL - just a quick re-scan of your set-top/tv if you don't get it)

Uni mate in my course is the producer; he produced season one when he was 19 (now 20), big things!
I helped out a bit this season by designing and making the opening title motion graphics and basic segment intros, lower thirds etc. in After Effects

IMO episode 2 is funnier than anything Chaser have come up with so far this election campaign!
Also features an interview with Melb Greens candidate Adam Bandt (full length interview version is up on their youtube).
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Anyone know of anywhere we can go out where they'll have the election results on TV? I normally avoid bars with TV's but I think the election is a fair exception
CoB

Post by CoB »

o.O
you have to be shitting me!!!

we don't want to threaten the lively hood of the fishing industry?
jesus christ what are they thinking?!?!?!
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Wow
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

oh god this election is shit.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Isnt it.

Saw a little bit of Q & A last night. What a twat. ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION!!! Stop ragging on the others and talking about them, WHAT are YOU going to do about it? Had to change the chanel, it was very VERY irritating, not to mention rather frightening thinking there is a chance this man may be our 'leader' :shock:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Agree. Best at evading the point ever, they must be trained up in the erms and the uhuhhms...
The thing I hate too is the ads.

Rather than tell us what good things they are gonna do, what vision they have, they just slander the other side.

MEH!
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

You try and inform yourself but seemingly need to go about it another way. :roll:
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Spot on GK... The whole election is a complete joke this time around. What a farcical system this is.

Don't even start me on the ads... There needs to be a rule that they actually have to say something about why they should be elected, rather than why the other party shouldn't. Some actual scientifically proven facts would be good rather than blatant lies too.

As for Abbott on Q&A, he didn't suprise at all. I'm not a massive fan of Julia but she did so much better than he.
Amick

Post by Amick »

ghetto kitty wrote:oh god this election is shit.
biggest understatement of 2010

side note - i'm working for the AEC this election and if I wasn't getting paid a pretty penny I seriously would not bother. i'm absolutely disconnected when it comes to this election, both leaders have not one iota of appeal to me whatsoever.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I feel like stamping my foot at the tolling booth and cracking a kid tanty

"I DUN WANNA VOTE FOR ANYOOOONEEE"

Sex Party and Greens. That is all.

so if i just want them in, how do I vote?
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

do AEC look for casual work round now?
Amick

Post by Amick »

You're about 2 months too late FS. Been working for around 10 years now at every election.

GK - i FEEEEEL your pain. ask someone who is working to show you how to vote for them, most of them should know.
FoundationStepper

yeah i work full time anyway - just thinking of someone who might want to find work for the state election though...
Amick

Post by Amick »

i work full time too, extra cash money is extra cash money.

just tell them to ring the AEC and apply. easy gig.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

ghetto kitty wrote:I feel like stamping my foot at the tolling booth and cracking a kid tanty

"I DUN WANNA VOTE FOR ANYOOOONEEE"

Sex Party and Greens. That is all.

so if i just want them in, how do I vote?
I think you either pick 1, or if you want more than 1, you gotta do that senate thing, with 18 of the fuckers. Maybe the website will have instructions.... i just remember being so pleased last time that i was only choosing one cos the form did my stoned little head in! :lol: which reminds me, note to self, dont have cones before going down to vote!
CoB

Post by CoB »

yeh, apparently a lot of the people who do choose to pick all 18 or however many end up miscounting and so their vote does not count.
genius system
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Sammy - ALWAYS HAVE CONES BEFORE VOTING!!!

:)
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

:lol:

sweeeeeet
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

Wow the postal vote system is a total fuck around.
Looks like I won't be voting this year. :?
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

I think mb.c should set up a political party.

So many people on here complaining about how shit elections are, how the government sucks blah blah blah.

If that is the case why don't they put their money where mouth is and do something about it?

Join a political party
Start one
Effect Change
do something...............

There is never going to be a political party that has perfect policies that will please everyone. Our government has finite resources and cant' fund every possible good idea, initiative or policy.

I don;t think the system is perfect and there are a hell of a lot of policy changes i would make but all in all i think we have it pretty good. We have it very good in comparison to the majority of the worlds people so i think we should all stop complaining and be grateful for what we have.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Hi Kronz,

Why do you assume that those who bitch about politics on MB are not politically active elsewhere (I don't know who is/isn't but it seems silly to assume)?

Are you saying we shouldn't complain? That we should just shut up and accept the system as it is?

I think discussing politics is actually doing something - it's not much but it's a start. Discussing, verbalising my own opinions (or putting them into words) and hearing other peoples opinions helps me to be sure about them before I take it to the next level (and no I'm not just saying I do this on internet forums but with in person with my friends and family too).
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

I just re-read your post and confirmed that you are saying we should shut up and be greatful... That's just silly! Do you think we would have it as good as we do right now if people in the past had just shut up and been greatful?
gnat

Post by gnat »

which box do i tick for dick smith?
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

The "big corporations and their rich CEO's will continue to rule the world" box? :D
deviant

Post by deviant »

I've started many parties... not overly political though
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

:lol: ...and I've joined many!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

im not even gonna answer that post Kronz.

:roll:
CoB

Post by CoB »

i would like to hear these parties.

oh wait.
i get it, party.
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

For those who want to see Conroy out of a job and live in Victoria, here's how to vote, based on your party preferences:

Filter Conroy - Voting Guides

All you have to do is vote BELOW the line.

* choose the party who would have received your above the line senate vote
* print out the voting guide for that party
* take it to the voting booth on election day and copy it onto your senate ballot paper.

You must be voting in Victoria to use these voting guides

And to have a little fun at the expense of the Greens, I've made this for your facebook pages too:

Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
FoundationStepper

like the fb thingo!

printed the instructions also
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

kronz wrote:There is never going to be a political party that has perfect policies that will please everyone. Our government has finite resources and cant' fund every possible good idea, initiative or policy.
Yeah, no shit Sherlock.

So, if that's the case, why do we even need political parties then. If no party is going to be able to provide the best answer to our country's problems, then why should we have them?

"oooh... can't have no one in power, that's anarchy.... wah wah wah party wah wah wah democracy!"

UTTER BULLSHIT!

In the same way religious beliefs are installed into young, unquestioning minds, poisoning them against logic and reason, so too are the political beliefs such as democracy is the only government that works.

The human race has thrived in a hostile environment for over 60,000 years without democracy, and in the last 400 years since "enlightenment" and "democracy" we've almost wiped ourselves off the face of the planet at least 4 times, and put in motion the destruction of the planet.

Crap, I have to go... I will be back to finish this later!

Unless I get too drunk ;)
-= www.funkyj.com =-
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

LIKE!

Please... Continue
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

ok.... bit drunk right now, but basically the political machine breeds the parts it needs, not the parts WE need.

Everyone who enters politics enters it with hopes to change the world, or at least their part of it.

Everyone who goes into politics is a hot steel beam. In the political factory, those steel beams are bent a certain way, and if you don't bend, you break.

The machine will never break.

The only way to change it is to smash it to pieces.

Even when you smash it, there's a bloody good chance you'll make another machine just like the one you smashed.

So we can never win. Although it's fun to smash things.
-= www.funkyj.com =-
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

FunkyJ wrote: So, if that's the case, why do we even need political parties then. If no party is going to be able to provide the best answer to our country's problems, then why should we have them?

"oooh... can't have no one in power, that's anarchy.... wah wah wah party wah wah wah democracy!"

UTTER BULLSHIT!
Just because something isn't perfect, doesn't mean it's not useful. According to Amartya Sen, no famine has ever occurred in a democratic country. That's a pretty good track record.
FunkyJ wrote:In the same way religious beliefs are installed into young, unquestioning minds, poisoning them against logic and reason, so too are the political beliefs such as democracy is the only government that works.
It works pretty well for Australia at this point in time, and in the context of other governments, is probably the best choice for us at present. That's all that matters, really.
FunkyJ wrote: The human race has thrived in a hostile environment for over 60,000 years without democracy, and in the last 400 years since "enlightenment" and "democracy" we've almost wiped ourselves off the face of the planet at least 4 times, and put in motion the destruction of the planet.
It's more the huge number of people living on the planet. China has 1.3 billion people, and is not a democracy, and I don't think it went through a comparative "enlightenment" phase like Europe did at that time.
FoundationStepper

great photochop guys
Attachments
963105-tony-abbott-julia-gillard.jpg
963105-tony-abbott-julia-gillard.jpg (37.6 KiB) Viewed 9472 times
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Yeah I'm totally with you FunkyJ... Not like there's gonna be revolution in this country any time soon though
quick

Post by quick »

i am not voting cos i am overseas and there is no aus embassy in Innsbruck, Austria... bah... anyone else been in this situation and not voted, what happened?
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

Love it, so true, one of my all time top 5 films....

@ Quickster - i didn't vote the whole time i was away (5years) and nothing, i just dropped off the register is all, but then again for some reason i seem to drop off even when living and voting here so go figure....

mmm do i sleep in on Sats and risk a massive que, or jsut get up and get on early, then brekkie? hmmmm
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hhahah i watched that the other day!

but im not getting into all the above, i agree with much of what funky is saying.

i cant wait till saturday is over.

I still wanna make my own party for "dubstep, graffiti, ninjas and free strawberries for all"
those policies i can make happen, whos with me?
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

I like ninja's
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

quick wrote:i am not voting cos i am overseas and there is no aus embassy in Innsbruck, Austria... bah... anyone else been in this situation and not voted, what happened?
http://www.postalvoting.com.au/?gclid=C ... bwod3TrcXQ
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

If I was able to vote in this country I would vote Green.

That is all.
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

manofunreal wrote:
Why do you assume that those who bitch about politics on MB are not politically active elsewhere (I don't know who is/isn't but it seems silly to assume)?
Becasue i know a number of people on this forum and have been posting here for years and there is very little political activity on here. For example there was recently a big protest on gay right in the city but there was no talk about it on here. There is no discussion on the environment, economics etc. So this is what i base my assumption on. However i dont know every one so i may stand corrected.
manofunreal wrote: Are you saying we shouldn't complain? That we should just shut up and accept the system as it is?
No, what i am saying is that if you feel so strongly about it, why not get up and do something about it.
manofunreal wrote: I think discussing politics is actually doing something - it's not much but it's a start. Discussing, verbalising my own opinions (or putting them into words) and hearing other peoples opinions helps me to be sure about them before I take it to the next level (and no I'm not just saying I do this on internet forums but with in person with my friends and family too).
Agreed. However this election thread has NO discussion on proposed governemnt policy in it at all. So how can it be "actually doing something" if it is full of people talking about how 'they don't vote' or how 'they hate the system' or just taking the piss.

I will admit that my post was reactionary to a numer of things (some of which are posted in this thread) but i think the points hold.

I agree with you that it would be good to "hear people's opinions" but i think a constructive discussion on policy is better that the current bullshit that is in this thread.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

apophenian wrote:
quick wrote:i am not voting cos i am overseas and there is no aus embassy in Innsbruck, Austria... bah... anyone else been in this situation and not voted, what happened?
http://www.postalvoting.com.au/?gclid=C ... bwod3TrcXQ
He has not had a fixed addy long enough of late to get that sent to....

Besides the system doesn't work, i lived in Thailand for a year and they still could not get papers to me to vote with.... If the system cannot handle those that are IN the country and WANT to vote how the hell they sorting everyone off shore....