Flood aid

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
deviant

Flood aid

Post by deviant »

Hey guys.... Just puting the feelers out....

would anyone here want/like to help with such an event????? I really want to do something for the relief effort. I have donated a meisly $50 but would love to do more.

is there anything anyone knows of in the pipeline already?

venues? DJs? anyone really
huge
old boy

Re: Flood aid

Post by huge »

http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

there is a hip hop gig at the corner on friday with pharoe monch & a bunch of other acts for $20 with all proceeds going to the premier's flood relief fund too.

i was going to start organizing one yesterday, but im looking at doing something more long term, with an alcohol sponsor on board at the venue, that all promoters can utilize and punters can get behind. still working on that idea.

however, I would be totally happy to assist a crew if they wanted to use Miss Lib's for an event, and i was thinking a sunday, bbq into music type thing would be perfect. I honestly just cant do it on my own, Help Haiti took it out of me and with working at rainbow next wkend etc I just cant commit to doing it on my own right now.
deviant

Post by deviant »

Huge: I guess I should have googled that....
huhuh
I really mean broken beat events... stuff that I would be able to get involved with... that event looks gash tbh.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

dan i am totally up for a RLT + Ghetto Arts + whoever party here.

call me,
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

totally gash huhu. saw it on the facebook flood photo group
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

huge wrote:totally gash huhu. saw it on the facebook flood photo group
looks shiiiit! I think you'd do a better one Dan and Bo. I'd love to help!
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

well at least someone is listening!

awesome alex.

;)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

but since everyone seems to want to look at this thread and not say or do anything....go along to one of these instead.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/eve ... 02&index=1

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/eve ... 33&index=1

also this > Burlesque Bar & Red Bennies are hosting a HUGE cabaret and burlesque benefit across Victoria on Thursday 27th of January to raise funds for the QLD Flood Relief fund.

that is all.
mrj

Post by mrj »

yes that event looks gash but the point is to raise heaps of cash for flood victims and I guarantee that event most definitely will.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
deviant

Post by deviant »

totes josh....
FliP

Post by FliP »

i dont wanna be negative on the floods or what you wanna do with this dan, its a great way to help a great cause, but after the poor response we got from doing that fire aid gig during the last bushfires, do you think it'd be worth it..?

that didnt exactly go to plan, and we worked our nuts off.
deviant

Post by deviant »

I hear ya Phil... I just can't keep watching the news and not doing any thing :-/
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

Won't the government be helping these people out?
nic

Post by nic »

take loads of drugs to help people whose cars got flooded
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

autumnleaves wrote:Won't the government be helping these people out?
Of course the government will but the amount these people have lost and will need to re-coup is astounding.

The government honestly can't do it all on their own, peoples donations go a massive way to help.
You'd also be surprised how many people will be left with literally NOTHING due to lack of insurance and stuff, these people are gonna need bare basics like clothes and shelter. Yes It's a bit silly to not have insurance but nothing can be done now but to help...
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

Not to minimize their suffering, but there are many, many people in the world who could use a fundraiser who have no option of buying insurance and no government to support them, and who are in serious life or death situations all the time. If we're talking about effectiveness for money, then donating the money to buy malaria tablets, gastro medicine or landmine clearing could go so much further in the third world, both in terms of bang for buck and overall effect. The only reason I say this is because our government is gonna help these people, and I don't see why borders should make a difference.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

autumnleaves wrote:Not to minimize their suffering, but there are many, many people in the world who could use a fundraiser who have no option of buying insurance and no government to support them, and who are in serious life or death situations all the time. If we're talking about effectiveness for money, then donating the money to buy malaria tablets, gastro medicine or landmine clearing could go so much further in the third world, both in terms of bang for buck and overall effect. The only reason I say this is because our government is gonna help these people, and I don't see why borders should make a difference.
by way of context:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -dead.html
CoB

Post by CoB »

yeh i only heard about that this morning, due to my location, all news seems to be about floods in brisbane, didn't hear anything about that until someone posted it on facebook >.<
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

FoundationStepper wrote:
autumnleaves wrote:Not to minimize their suffering, but there are many, many people in the world who could use a fundraiser who have no option of buying insurance and no government to support them, and who are in serious life or death situations all the time. If we're talking about effectiveness for money, then donating the money to buy malaria tablets, gastro medicine or landmine clearing could go so much further in the third world, both in terms of bang for buck and overall effect. The only reason I say this is because our government is gonna help these people, and I don't see why borders should make a difference.
by way of context:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -dead.html
Pretty much. Haven't even heard about that on the news.
retzie

Post by retzie »

Good on you Dan, Bo and Alex. I think it is important to do what you can to help. It is a shame that the benefit gigs are not always very lucrative, but they do raise awareness and show those who are affected that people do actually care enough to put some effort in. Even if it doesn't offer massive material support, it's still concrete, visible, moral support, which is a damn site better than sitting at home thinking "well, that's fucked."
I can see your point, but this is not a helpful attitude. There is an endless multitude of things going wrong in the world and an individual cannot possibly digest/address all of them at once. In fact, thinking about too many things normally just paralyses people into inaction, so they don't do anything on any front. It is a depressive's "everything is too hard" vs. "today, I'm going to the shops to buy milk, cereal and bananas with this $10."

Of course a local disaster will attract more attention. Most of us know someone affected and can empathise very directly by seeing the effect on people and places we actually know. Yes, there are much more dire circumstances elsewhere, but I don't see that trying to guilt people into thinking about them instead is going to inspire a 'better' response. In fact, it may even guilt people into not supporting the local effort.

If you would like to effectively use the current swell of local support to increase awareness of other situations, can I suggest you wait until the emergency subsides here? 'Make sure your own mask is in place before helping others.' Once things calm down, perhaps point out the comparisons with elsewhere and encourage people to extend their support. Until then, I think it's important to appreciate that people are willing and able to help the local effort.
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
deviant

Post by deviant »

couldn't have said it better myself retz
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

nice one Dan and Bo for coming up with some rad ideas

gotta say, after all the ones the MB community has put on, the one thing i have noticed that really worked in the first one in comparison to the others, was a big headlining act/s. i could be wrong, but the first one, Beat Aid, had Lucy organising the big acts for it and we raised $17k.

this was the line up

9.00-9.45 Blueprint
9.45-10.45 Brewster vs Lynt
10.45-11.30 phil K
11.30-12.15 Nubreed
12.15-1.00 Andy Page
1.00-2.00 BLIM
2.00-3.00 Tali
3.00-4.00 fletch & seven
4-5 kombat bass
5-6 Lucas

even if it wasn't to raise money, just that line up alone would pull a lot of people.

i think the other ones we did were great, could have done with a bit of tweeking on some things, but generally we did a good job. just my thoughts on the matter

but there does seem to be a lot happening already which is good.
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
youthful_implants

its true actually, you could definitely snag internationals who are already here on tour without having to go to great expense.
Strontium Music

mrj

Post by mrj »

Having said that last time at Beat Aid all the internationals who played were either Melbourne based internationals or were close friends with mb.com people, and usually both.

Its seems less likely to me that you could say "hey listen Andy C I dont really know you but whilst you are here in Melbourne dont suppose you could play a free charity gig". Maybe you could, I dont know the guy so I dont know how he'd respond, but I imagine its a bit of a stretch.
youthful_implants

bit different if you know them though innit. ;)
Strontium Music

FliP

Post by FliP »

youthful_implants

a deluge of flood parties! at this rate we'll be over-saturated.
Strontium Music

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

well as I said, I am totally up for offering Miss Libertine if anyone wishes to do something.

I have donated cash already, but I also want to do more.

When I did Help Haiti, the disaster was far removed from us, and even at $10 entry we had people giving us $50 on the door, so even with only locals its still worth doing something in my opinion.
mrj

Post by mrj »

youthful_implants wrote:a deluge of flood parties! at this rate we'll be over-saturated.
we might be a bit out of our depth, but should be able to keep our heads above water, and I expect they will all go swimmingly.
youthful_implants

mrj wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:a deluge of flood parties! at this rate we'll be over-saturated.
we might be a bit out of our depth, but should be able to keep our heads above water, and I expect they will all go swimmingly.
I agree. Currently just going to see where this tide of public support leads.
Strontium Music

deviant

Post by deviant »

we can only hope not to get bogged down in this political quagmire
deviant

Post by deviant »

Looks like we might be doing victorian floodaid :-/
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

and WA fireaid

whats next?
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
youthful_implants

?

Strontium Music

mrj

Post by mrj »

hahahahahahahahaha
youthful_implants

you know they actually banned a lucozade advertisment in London in the early 90s because the strapline read "Lucozade aids recovery" and everyone thought it was a cure for HIV.

bellends!
Strontium Music

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1 ... 8631549912

this just up from Jerry.

nice one. gah, wish i knew what was going on with rainbow cos i would really like to be involved with this.
youthful_implants

^^ looks good!
Strontium Music

gnat

Post by gnat »

lotta stuff on. good vibes peeps, good vibes. BU's!

and autumn leaves we support all causes here at mb. my transfer a tenner day- to green gecko orphanage in cambodia a few years back amassed a tidy little sum
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
nic

Post by nic »

FliP wrote:Image
this would be the one to go to IMO
dont see how another trance party is goig to stop teh deluge
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Im in for sure if you do anything. As we said over and over for the last ones, $4 is better than nothing and if makes people feel their helping, bring it on. Simple.