Buying stuff from America or elsewhere

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Buying stuff from America or elsewhere

Post by Lizkins »

anyone used something like this before?

http://www.myus.com/cgi-bin/aff/new_lan ... pAodHBz0DQ

what do people do when a site won't send over here?
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
almax

Re: Buying stuff from America or elsewhere

Post by almax »

Lizkins wrote: what do people do when a site won't send over here?
Buy from another site where they will!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yup, pretty much.

or ask someone nice in the states to recieve and ship it for you!
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

try this site: http://www.hopshopgo.com/hsg/welcome.do?l=en&c=AU

getting a mail forwarder in the usa can be expensive unless you're planning on receiving a lot of mail.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

found this site too

http://www.priceusa.com.au/

saw this one on some crappy current affairs show when at the gym. not a bad idea really

some things are hard to find as cheap as in the US at the moment and who will ship here.

don't know anyone in the US to ask to ship here for me
click here fo fotos
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Lizkins wrote:found this site too

http://www.priceusa.com.au/

saw this one on some crappy current affairs show when at the gym. not a bad idea really
that sounds like a terrible idea tbh - money upfront for someone to buy stuff for you on spec? no way. kinda defeats the whole idea of buying online, don't you think?
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
deviant

Post by deviant »

Lizkins wrote:don't know anyone in the US to ask to ship here for me
yes you do...

Lynt
Dust
Retzie
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

system wrote: getting a mail forwarder in the usa can be expensive unless you're planning on receiving a lot of mail.
totes. i have looked into it before, but as Dan said, i bet all those people would forward you stuffs!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

ha! i hadn't thought to ask them to be honest, is it rude to ask to do that though?
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i dont think so, what's a trip to the post office between internet friends?
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Lizkins wrote: is it rude to ask to do that though?
Yep. Buy local! :P
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

ghetto kitty wrote:i dont think so, what's a trip to the post office between internet friends?

haha funny

Retzie? Karlos?
click here fo fotos
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

quiet roar wrote:

be cheaper! :P its not books anyways.
click here fo fotos
retzie

Post by retzie »

Lizkins wrote:ha! i hadn't thought to ask them to be honest, is it rude to ask to do that though?
Not at all - I will just say no if it's going to be a hassle! For reference, previous services have included collecting roadkill :D :herbie: :D

Lemme know details once you've decided on things (size of package, what shipper they use) and I will give you a good address.

You should know: shipping from here to Oz is not cheap or fast. They took away the surface option, then started some new security shit with stuff going on planes (ie. now everything). So it costs more than surface but takes just as long :?
deviant wrote: Lynt
Whereis?
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
deviant

Post by deviant »

retzie wrote:
deviant wrote: Lynt
Whereis?
Karl has lived in NYC for over a year
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

quiet roar wrote:
:scr1pt:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

retzie wrote: You should know: shipping from here to Oz is not cheap or fast. They took away the surface option, then started some new security shit with stuff going on planes (ie. now everything). So it costs more than surface but takes just as long :?
i sent a beat and inpress mag to the states and it cost me over $30 and took over 3 weeks to get there! feckin ridiculous!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

thanks Retzie

i guess paying the extra is just easier than the drama, which is annoying

Direkt - its makeup that i am wanting to get o/s. So saying shop local is a useless statement. to buy is like $56 for the product i want, but in the US its $28. Most makeup is made in the US and is WAY cheaper there...of course...
click here fo fotos
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Lizkins wrote:Direkt - its makeup that i am wanting to get o/s. So saying shop local is a useless statement. to buy is like $56 for the product i want, but in the US its $28. Most makeup is made in the US and is WAY cheaper there...of course...
Hey I've been guilty of a couple of online o/s purchases myself where the savings have been ridiculous.

I just think it's sad how much money we're all sending off shore that's ultimately depriving our workforce of jobs, and our economy of money. I think our Government is stupid not to be taxing ALL such imports, and reinvesting these monies into Australian business.

Retail has taken a massive hit in Australia over the past 18-months, and the media aren't helping things. The amount of articles and segments I've seen promoting direct importation from overseas stores selling online is offensive. Particularly when these media based businesses derive a lot of their income from other local businesses and brands advertising with them. And I don't think it's just retail who takes the hit.... it's all the auxiliary businesses who feed off retail... wholesalers, freight/courier companies, utilities, banks, hospitality industry, etc etc. Even the Government must be losing revenue from taxes and duties that wholesalers would normally pay.

Shopping locally hasn't got any more expensive, in fact it's got cheaper - just not as cheap as directly importing certain items ourselves.

[end rant]
aroes

Post by aroes »

retzie wrote:You should know: shipping from here to Oz is not cheap or fast. They took away the surface option, then started some new security shit with stuff going on planes (ie. now everything). So it costs more than surface but takes just as long :?
True. Whenever I've bought stuff online from the states (mainly shoes) I've tried to beef up my order to make the postage cost worthwhile. I remember paying about $90usd for a pair of Nikes and then being stung about $40usd for postage! Ridiculous. Fairly stark contrast to say the UK.....have bought a fair bit of stuff from cycling sites and usually if the order totals about $50aud or more and isn't fragile, postage is FREE
deviant

Post by deviant »

Direkt wrote:
Lizkins wrote:Direkt - its makeup that i am wanting to get o/s. So saying shop local is a useless statement. to buy is like $56 for the product i want, but in the US its $28. Most makeup is made in the US and is WAY cheaper there...of course...
Hey I've been guilty of a couple of online o/s purchases myself where the savings have been ridiculous.

I just think it's sad how much money we're all sending off shore that's ultimately depriving our workforce of jobs, and our economy of money. I think our Government is stupid not to be taxing ALL such imports, and reinvesting these monies into Australian business.

Retail has taken a massive hit in Australia over the past 18-months, and the media aren't helping things. The amount of articles and segments I've seen promoting direct importation from overseas stores selling online is offensive. Particularly when these media based businesses derive a lot of their income from other local businesses and brands advertising with them. And I don't think it's just retail who takes the hit.... it's all the auxiliary businesses who feed off retail... wholesalers, freight/courier companies, utilities, banks, hospitality industry, etc etc. Even the Government must be losing revenue from taxes and duties that wholesalers would normally pay.

Shopping locally hasn't got any more expensive, in fact it's got cheaper - just not as cheap as directly importing certain items ourselves.

[end rant]
I personally hate shopping in stores (always have)(except vinyl, that used to be fun)... sales people annoy the feck out of me. Plus you are limited to only the stock that shop has etc. I do by audio equipment locally, I just know the guys at the store and usually know exactly what I want before I go in.

online is HEAPS more attractive generally,
  • bigger selection.
  • you don't even have to leave you house.
  • no sales people to deal with.
  • cheaper.
  • it get's delivered directly to your house.
All the things you say are true, but they are hidden issues (to most people). Unfortunately you can't compete with that. Same as a big chain store moving to town and wiping out the little retailers, people are NOT loyal when it comes to savings and a bigger selection.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Haha sales people shit me too. My missus reckons it's rude when they don't engage you when you walk into the store. I reckon it's AWESOME. Leave me the feck alone so I can shop plz haha
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

regarding shopping in stores, must admit I often feel uncomfortable too, more so when shopping for clothes.
Most stores have a policy to either approach a customer and ask if they need assistance, or not bother them unless approached. I guess if you find a store that treats you right, is reasonably priced and has what you like - you're on a winner!
I recently bought a bike from BSC in Fitzroy, the guys have been so nice to deal with that I certainly don't regret the decision to shop local. They given me heaps of help. service and advice for no added expense. I do hear what you're saying though.

And online shopping from Australian stores, would solve at least half of the issues I ranted on about earlier.
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

I buy a lot of outdoor equipment from the US. Even with postage included, I can save over 50%. Some stores wont ship certain brands over here due to their distributors restrictions. Essentially these comapnies want to protect their lucrative Australian market. Outdoor equipment is rediculously overpriced in NZ and Australia. I can buy a NZ brand from the US and have it shipped to Australia and still save over 50%.

For a particular brand that I can't get shipped here, I use: www.shipito.com
They only charge you what it costs to ship it here + and $8.50 handling charge, You can also setup a virtual mailbox and have mutiple parcels repackaged as one and sent over.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

bassfreak wrote:Some stores wont ship certain brands over here due to their distributors restrictions. Essentially these comapnies want to protect their lucrative Australian market.
Not really mate. If the supplier has an independent distributor out here (and most do with the exception of global companies such as Nike or Ford), it's not a lucrative market at all. We're around 2% of the global market, and the supplier usually makes a little bit less out of selling to the Australian distributor - as the Australian distributor buys in bulk, and sometimes receives "price protection".

Lower GP + lower turnover = not a lucrative market.