Heaps of vinyl and just don't know what to do with it

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
MudRhino

Heaps of vinyl and just don't know what to do with it

Post by MudRhino »

Hi guys, apology upfront if this is the wrong area to post this but could not find a more appropriate area.

Back from 1980 - 2000 I spent a lot of time djing at bars, clubs, raves and on radio - and accumulated about 4,500 records over that period.

Anyhow, come 1999, I gave up doing such work to pursue study and full time work - I put my records into storage and all but forgot about them until last week when I came across them whilst cleaning out my shed.

So now I have a heap of records I need to move, that range from commercial beats, to trance, acid, drum and bass, break beat, belgium newbeat, house, hip house, happy hardcore, funk, sould, rap, gabba - you name it. Many are one offs, white labels, picture discs and collectables - condition of most is good to brand new.

My problem is I have found hardly any stores that really deal in this stuff anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how or where I can move these?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks - Evan
Profession - DJ (Desk Jockey)
huge
old boy

Re: Heaps of vinyl and just don't know what to do with it

Post by huge »

list up your old dnb and hip hop
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
MudRhino

Post by MudRhino »

As you can imagine listing up 4,500 records is not an easy task. Are you looking for anything? Or if you want, you can come take a look - I live about 11kms from melbourne's CBD (Sunshine). Will try adding some tonight when I get home.
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

Hope you get some takers Evan, I might even come back and have a look if I get some time and more money together. Chuffed with the turntable thanks again :clap:
Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

burn it down and make an idol of me out of it.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
mrj

Post by mrj »

beligan newbeat?
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
MudRhino

Post by MudRhino »

Yes Belgium Newbeat was a very underground style that emerged early in the 80's and was only around for a few years. It also re-appeared toward the 90's but was extremely short lived.

Very much a more deep dark techno based version of Kraft Werk - if you can imagine it. Strangly, most of the tracks were about sex to some degree - for instance 'Taste of sugar' was a prime example. There you have it - historical education session over :angel3:
almax

Post by almax »

I think if you took the time and collated track names of the drum and bass and hip hop you have and post it here, you will get a few sales....or maybe you could say something like "$500 for 100 records, your choice, come and look through the lot."
I guess you need to ask yourself, what are you prepared to part with? how much would you be happy with.
Unfortunately in these kind of situations, the seller rarely 'wins' in their mind.

I swear i will never sell my records, i want my kids to be able to go through them and get a feel for the culture i grew up with, just like i did with my parent Jimi Hendrix, doors, stones etc records
phonky

Post by phonky »

I'd give you the benefit of my experience here, having tried to sell some vinyl, its probably not worth your time listing them. I think the best you can do here is get someone who is genuinely interested to come around and just pick out whatever it is they want and make an offer on them.
Gotta say though, thought I knew all the sub genres Belgium new beat is new to me! :)
cheers
aroes

Post by aroes »

I'd disagree, and put it to you that if you want to generate interest and make the exercise as lucrative as possible, listing them is the BEST thing you could do. I sorted and catalogued a couple of crates worth of drum and bass and posted a list in alphabetical order up here a few years back. Although it was a bit of a time consuming process, I enjoyed it and had heaps of people contact me about them in no time, and got the price I was looking for

All well and good to have people come round for a dig and buy what they want, but if the majority of the records are on the older/more obscure end of the spectrum, you'll probably just end up with a cuntload left over and a heap of your time wasted. Do you have a turntable operational at the location the records are stored? Digging is a much more fruitful process (for the buyer AND seller) when one can grab an armful then give them all a quick spin

If you post a list, interested parties can flick around on youtube and such, and rock up to your house with cold hard cash knowing exactly what they want

Bit of a ramble I know, but I guess I have a vested interest as both of you (Phonky and MudRhino) seem to be in possession of a heap of stuff I'd be keen on owning, but neither of you are particularly willing to do much legwork to get rid of it

TBH if you're dead against the idea of creating a list, I'd second Almax's idea..........
almax wrote:or maybe you could say something like "$500 for 100 records, your choice, come and look through the lot."
Anyway, good luck. I hope they end up in loving hands
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

id deffo be interested in any oldschool atmospheric dnb.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
aroes

Post by aroes »

As would I

And techno, house, or anything from the 80's and 90's that isn't happy hardcore
MudRhino

Post by MudRhino »

Thanks for all the replies. Had a few people come round and buy all the DnB, and old rap. Got heaps of techno left if anyone is interested.