post your artwork thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
sweetcheeks

post your artwork thread

Post by sweetcheeks »

i did a giger-esque piece for the mark n party because i'm dead sick of graphics all over everything, so i did this and made it as low-key as i could so text would sit good over the top without looking crowded. it's as low key as it could possibly be subject matter considered. i don't get much time to make shit or paint anymore and it costs a lot, most of the work i do is on the run and this is the only thing i've completed in months so here's my contribution to start things

it was begun in the comfort of an armchair at upstairs Pony during a Maladroit set and completed on various trams and trains, all in my trusty a5 visual [don't leave home without it, it's my brain centre]. it took me in dribs and drabs and sporadic bursts about a month to complete. i don't usually do much large-scale crosshatching because i don't have the patience but i did this time for some reason. it's a bloody wrist for the bloody fist.

anyone else have pictures of their pieces, graff, canvases, whatever, put it here for all of us to admire [you know we will]...

are there any painters here too? i'd love to see people's work
lynt

Post by lynt »

wicked idea for a thread.

that is all.

continue. :D
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Wow! I didn't ralise you actually drew it! Nawce!
Wicked thread topic BTW.
I'd contribute but I can't art for shit. I always wanted to be able to draw, but I never did done anything about it.
This may a daft question, but what is the best way to get started? There's things in my head that must be unleashed.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Hardy wrote:This may a daft question, but what is the best way to get started? There's things in my head that must be unleashed.
pen, pad, stfu?
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

lynt wrote:
Hardy wrote:This may a daft question, but what is the best way to get started? There's things in my head that must be unleashed.
pen, pad, stfu?
I'll 'ave you ya cheeky brickbear. I meant to learn fool.
Rob M

Re: post your artwork thread

Post by Rob M »

sweetcheeks wrote:i did a giger-esque piece ...
wow, yeh really uncanny, I thought it looked like his style. I saw the pic first and thought you had sex on the mind when drawing that. because you know what that looks like to me....

seriously good pic.

I created this when I was doing a training course at job network for people on the dole; for motivation, interview and resume skills upkeep. I already knew it all so decided to dabble.

I came up with this, don't think it's brilliant but not bad for a non-artist like me. I do more digital art, rather than ink. but i'd love to eventually learn.

no need to critique this i know it's shit.
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

yeah i know, im pretty good
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

i would love to share with you what i created under the influence last satdee morning......

NOT :shock: :oops: :lol:
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

stovequeen wrote:i would love to share with you what i created under the influence last satdee morning......

NOT :shock: :oops: :lol:
lol was it on a canvas or on a sidewalk? ;)
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

lightbox my girlfriend and I designed, and I built. We came up with the idea and how to go about it during a phone conversation (we didn't get it from some magazine or anything like that) made it for my one year old niece Lucy :D

SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Hardy wrote:Wow! I didn't ralise you actually drew it! Nawce!
Wicked thread topic BTW.
I'd contribute but I can't art for shit. I always wanted to be able to draw, but I never did done anything about it.
This may a daft question, but what is the best way to get started? There's things in my head that must be unleashed.
go buy a set of Derwent artist pencils and some a4 and a3 paper from your local stationary / arts supply store
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

SoulWhiteMan wrote:
Hardy wrote:Wow! I didn't ralise you actually drew it! Nawce!
Wicked thread topic BTW.
go buy a set of Derwent artist pencils and some a4 and a3 paper from your local stationary / arts supply store
Dammit, I need some of magical way where I learn to draw brilliantly without doing anything. Awright people pray for me and maybe i'll wake up tomorrow and be arty. Or I'll go buy some pencils.
sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

Hardy wrote: I'd contribute but I can't art for shit. I always wanted to be able to draw, but I never did done anything about it.
drawing is one of those things that absolutely everyone is capable of. the truth is most people get bogged down in their attempts to be faithful to the vision in their heads and when they don't see immediate results in what they're doing, they get frustrated. that piece above took about 2 weeks before it looked like anything, i made the initial shapes with little marks and after then it was a matter of giving it more depth and form. basically with crosshatching techniques you can make series of diagonal dashes running as you would feel a shadow would fall on an object. ever heard of chiaroscuro? [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaroscuro ] those are the principles i think about when giving something form, i'll make stronger, bolder, longer dashes on 'the dark side of the moon' sts, and have less emphasis and unmarked paper where my light hits. don't think you can't do it, i did all of that with a black ballpoint, don't think what you use will make all the difference, it's how you intend on using it. and whether you're willing to let it use you.

what i'd suggest you do, is buy a visual diary [acid free cartridge, you can buy them for not much anywhere that sells stationary really, try target], some Sharpies, some black pens, a REALLY good eraser and some pencils [go 2B for some darkness, these are great for smudging and blending, really good for giving tone in your piece quickly without a lot of labour (for example, you can make definite lines with a 2b, then run your finger along it and make it fuller. try making a closed shape just for practise and trying this principle. if you make a circle and do this carefully and blend upwards or downwards you can make 3d circles really quite easily), the further up in succession that you go in the B's will equal darker grains, try the H series for making initial marks and guides but not indelible ones, same principle, for color pencil with clean lines but blendability, try Prismacolors. they will shatter if you drop them, but for $20 from any good art store they canna be beat for true, not-overly-waxy color to play around with]. as for what you've got in your head, just start with one piece at a time, and let your mind go from there. sometimes its better and more rewarding when you don't force it and you just give in.

actually, materials wise, get the visual diary, and a Progresso. progressos are the BOMB, a graphite pencil that depends on your touch, heavy handed equals darker, smudgable and lighter can still give form but is less heavy on the paper [also more easily correctable]

that was probably no help. sorry hardy honey i tried. i want more money for paint and canvases.
Rob M wrote:
wow, yeh really uncanny, I thought it looked like his style. I saw the pic first and thought you had sex on the mind when drawing that. because you know what that looks like to me....
i made it for jason, he likes giger stuff a lot, he wanted to use giger orginal work for posters but i have a problem with biting intellectual property from people on whatever scale, so i made this, we weren't going to use it initially cause it could be considered rude but we had to in the end. we probably would have in any case.
fuck that. no unconstructive criticism in this thread please, don't scare the people off, i want to see what the fine, talented folk on this place are doing with their art
Last edited by sweetcheeks on Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Rob M wrote:

seriously good pic.

I created this when I was doing a training course at job network for people on the dole; for motivation, interview and resume skills upkeep. I already knew it all so decided to dabble.

I came up with this, don't think it's brilliant but not bad for a non-artist like me. I do more digital art, rather than ink. but i'd love to eventually learn.

WHOA WHOA WHOA
nothing wrong with that AT ALL!!!! I like it, with pen, you are limited in terms of shade and stroke technique (no masturbation jokes please), if you were to do THE EXACT SAME DRAWING with some decent artist greyleads, you'd be happy with the results; you'd have more shades to work with, than trying to manipulate one pen color through lighter and darker strokes ;)
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

sweetcheeks wrote:
that was probably no help. sorry hardy honey i tried. i want more money for paint and canvases.

It was actually quite inspirational! I'm gonna do it.
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

SoulWhiteMan wrote: WHOA WHOA WHOA
nothing wrong with that AT ALL!!!! I like it, with pen, you are limited in terms of shade and stroke technique (no masturbation jokes please), if you were to do THE EXACT SAME DRAWING with some decent artist greyleads, you'd be happy with the results; you'd have more shades to work with, than trying to manipulate one pen color through lighter and darker strokes ;)
dont underestimate the ink, its a better media then the lead
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

DEAN G wrote:
mmm....fair enough, I was just thinking Rob was upset with the way it "looked", I like the "picture" in it; if he wanted to sharpen it up IMO grey would have worked better.... I dunno why he doesn't like it, that was the only reason I could think of
sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

Hardy wrote:I'm gonna do it.
:D Image go son
SoulWhiteMan wrote:lightbox my girlfriend and I designed, and I built. We came up with the idea and how to go about it during a phone conversation (we didn't get it from some magazine or anything like that) made it for my one year old niece Lucy :D

Image s'very cool SWM
DEAN G wrote:
it's certainly cleaner for the most part. with harder greyleads you can spend an age getting the shading just right, then after a brief tough it's fucked, all your bare sections get dirty
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

yeh i've seen some wicked ink penmanship, my efforts are really uncomparable to what others of more talent can do. I just do it if i'm inspired enough. haven't really got patterns and shading down pat yet. I think that's why I failed art in year 9. digital art is another story though.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Image s'very cool SWM

thanks babe :D
and the image reall is BLANK; the only reason you can see the outline in the top one, with the light off, is because of the flash, and I showed it to Lucy and she broke out in a huge smile, started laughing and did excited baby movements........awwwww; me and deb got the 'invisibility' be using a few layers of tracing paper, and the image we lifted from the net and printed onto a transperancy (shhhh)
sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

SoulWhiteMan wrote:Image s'very cool SWM

thanks babe :D
and the image reall is BLANK; the only reason you can see the outline in the top one, with the light off, is because of the flash, and I showed it to Lucy and she broke out in a huge smile, started laughing and did excited baby movements........awwwww; me and deb got the 'invisibility' be using a few layers of tracing paper, and the image we lifted from the net and printed onto a transperancy (shhhh)
very very cool. i dig lightboxes, i made a few in high school with a similar method, it's a beautiful idea for a gift for a baby too :)
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

definately a project worthy of coolness SWM. makes me want to get creative at this hour :D :cry:
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

did this when i was bout 15 i think inspired my the matrix..
it was inspired by a sketch i saw, cant rember who by ny ways
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

here is another one i did at bout the same age... it has two picks in it..
if u look hard u can see the face of a bird
lynt

Post by lynt »

hey i see it !
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

they are rad pete

i cant draw for shit anymore. i used to draw when i was younger. lots. mostly animals and shit.

i know some people that are extremely talented at drawing manga style.

freaking amazing.
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

nice one some one can see it.. i didnt mean to do it.. i just did one pic put it onto photo shop copied it and it did that.. lol
flippo

Post by flippo »

they look cool samo. Would make good t-shirt prints i recon
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

got a lot of art work at my folks house, havn't got any pieces on me where im at for now, but here is a prototype for a recent bag i designed and made:

it was a storage bag for digital devices, such as cameras, mp3 players, portable game consoles, etc,etc.
safire

Post by safire »

this is some of Tobias J's stuf. he does all the flyers for brokenbeat assault parties, his profile will be up on the bba stie v soon with lots of visual too some be sure to check it!

Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

Haven't drawn/done "real" art for ages but heres a doodle I did the other day:

ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

safire - Those are out of control! Lovin the 1st and last shots..

Hatsudai - Am I reading correctly ? "Set of Old Men" ?? (OYAJI)
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

safire wrote:Image
awesome
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

ADD_Boy wrote: Hatsudai - Am I reading correctly ? "Set of Old Men" ?? (OYAJI)
Yup
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Hatsudai wrote:
ADD_Boy wrote: Hatsudai - Am I reading correctly ? "Set of Old Men" ?? (OYAJI)
Yup
:lol: :lol: @ Oyaji !!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
dust

Post by dust »

Hatsudai wrote:Haven't drawn/done "real" art for ages but heres a doodle I did the other day:

Love it. Reminds me heaps of the drawings of English artist Paul Davis. I would post some up here, but that is a little too technologically advanced for me. You can find his stuff on the net though.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

I use to draw the benefit,
which greatly affected my motivation.
Know I can hardly draw the curtains at night
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
Stray

Post by Stray »

Not a drawing.. but still a work of art! Even if I do say so myself :wink:
I made this a couple of years back.
It's an arcade table, plays over 2000 arcade games and also
doubles as a jukebox with which you can queue up songs.
It currently houses about 10,000 tunes.
Consists of a steel metal frame, steel space invader for the front, mdf
panels, 51cm TV, pentium 3 PC, 2 speakers with subwoofer, proper arcade
controls and a working coin slot.
I still haven't got the glass for the top... slack as.

As you can see, in my old apartment I had it connected to my TV and stereo for maximum amusement.
lol.. it took up so much space in that place.

Number one most played game - PUZZLE BOBBLE!

ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

That's mad Stray!

My mate made one of these recently .. Nowhere near as Schmick-O tho !!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
reverb

Post by reverb »

That is wicked Stray!
anyting test - dead!
Terry Tate
Location: come in! this is lonely soldier! my location is....bookshop!

Post by Terry Tate »

dont have any of my artwork on this computer and not enough time to hunt it down on internet. but heres some drawings my best friend did a fair few years back. i used to love just sitting watching him draw and watch this awesome picture come together from a few lines to a finished piece.

misfits skull. hes got this tattooed on his forearm nowdays.

shirt design for my friends band 'from the ruins'

tattoo design for our old 'enemy crew'

New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting.
Stray

Post by Stray »

Thanks guys.. I just wish I had made it smaller! :roll:
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

heh, i wish I had the tools and know-how to make me a mame box like that. nice on stray :D
nic

Post by nic »

Those flyers are rad! The one AO quoted roxorz.

Is nice style, is the graf/text bits 3d? I like.
Im gonna go home n get some stuff.
Wicked thread, I love seeing just what peopel actually are into and produce.
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

is this art?

http://www.5-steps.net

see if u can get to the end....
nic

Post by nic »

^cool stuff! I cant get anywhere past the drops.
Its yours?
Stray

Post by Stray »

Here's a pic that one of my mates sketched and then coloured in photoshop.
His pics are farken rad.

Rob M

Post by Rob M »

that is incredible. go unreal tourny!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^^^ DANG DIGGITY DANG!!!! Big ups to ya mate. :wink:
quick

Post by quick »

Sick picture.... any more?
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick