Street Art

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
DBoy

Re: Street Art

Post by DBoy »

Get down to this.

nic

Post by nic »

:P
http://www.theage.com.au/national/the-p ... -6xzy.html

oh noes banskys little diver got done over :teef:

whoever decided putting perspex over it had it coming anyway tbh. the perspex only appeared after some stupuid auctioned valued a similiar one in london quiet highly.

aroes

Post by aroes »

The Age- "But someone has ruined the iconic little diver, by tipping silver paint behind the plastic protector and tagging 'Banksy woz ere' on the plastic, potentially ruining the artwork forever."

yes, i can see the potential

The Age- "Banksy, the elusive street artist, keeps his identity secret and hardly ever gives media interviews."

how odd, a graffiti writer who is elusive and won't give an interview

The Age- "Fans and buyers of his works include Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt and Christina Aguilera."

loltown
NakedAge

Post by NakedAge »

There was actually a peice on him in Sunday Arts I think, quite some time ago. (I think. I remember a peice about a street artist whose work was fetching alot of money and was being brought by clebrities such as Angelina Jolie.)

You'd be suprised how in touch with Hip-Hop culture the ABC network tries to be. Like, I can't say if they're on the ball or not, but atleast they try.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

:(
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
tee193

Post by tee193 »

:lol: i think its funny. basquiat styles ruining fancy art as he used to throw paint buckets on art galleries and leave messages.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

if one wanted to purchase some spray cans, where would one be best to look ?
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Stray

Post by Stray »

ADD_Boy wrote:if one wanted to purchase some spray cans, where would one be best to look ?
If you buy spray cans you will be arrested and thrown in jail
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

lol - plenty of places ADD. I only know South Side though. Most hiphop stores will sell them.
This Is It on Church St Richmond and Obese in Prahran have plenty of selection.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

hardware shops sell them i'm pretty sure? prob cheaper too.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

yeah, but depends what you need them for. Hardware shops will sell you Dulux paint, ok for coverage, but not for detail or fine looking colours.
I have always been a Krylon man, but these days there is a much larger selection.

What is the purpose ADD?
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

ahh...i wouldn't have the faintest.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

NakedAge wrote: You'd be suprised how in touch with Hip-Hop culture the ABC network tries to be. Like, I can't say if they're on the ball or not, but atleast they try.
banksy's art has fuck all to do with hip hop culture really....hes more on the culture jamming, anti advertising tip....way different in the world of graff and street art imho.

spray cans >
hardware shops do not sell proper spray paint. they sell martha stewart spray paint, for wanna be mums to put stencils of ducks in sunshine yellow round the top of their impending sprogs walls.

yes to those souhtside dboy said, but northside there is giant in north melbourne too...
my favorite is montana golds.....nobody does spray paint like ze germans do!
dont be fooled by ironlak, yes cheaper and yes aussie made, casue they are shit!
tee193

Post by tee193 »

haha yeah they are explosive, literally, paint all over your clothes and bound to ruin a mission.

mind you the other cheaper aussie paints are all fairly good, but you are right if you have the money go montana golds or even belton
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

D. Gonna make me some stencils. :)

Any1 know about anywhere near thornbury firztoy etc?

Thanks GK there's a paint shop accrosa the road I was about to go over & grab some..
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

only place near that side would be villian on sydney rd...

but its well worth the trip to giant in northcote...cheapest and best range in melburn!

are you cutting your own designs or found images or whatnow? im excited to see what your doin!
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Bit of both actually... Will b a while but started to play with some stuff.

Where's giant? Just googled and no findy. Just up the road from me northcote :)
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Oh yes and how much u looking at per can roghly?
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
tee193

Post by tee193 »

ironlaks 8 dollars
montana blacks 10 dollars or 10.50
belton molotows 13
there was also a shop in brunswick doing 5 dollar cans of aeroskills, a bit far for me to travel but and cant remember the name sorry.

on the real, if your doing stencils, and dont want specific colours, just use exports, 3.50 and quick as hell
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

tee193 wrote::lol: i think its funny. basquiat styles ruining fancy art as he used to throw paint buckets on art galleries and leave messages.
yeah...., fuckin' pisser :? :roll:

:tool:
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Stray

Post by Stray »

tee193 wrote::lol: i think its funny. basquiat styles ruining fancy art as he used to throw paint buckets on art galleries and leave messages.
Yeah exactly, it's something he would do to his own work if he were back in Melbourne.
Stencils aren't supposed to stay up forever covered in perspex.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

ADD > sorry i meant north melbourne!!!
and they wont be listed on google ;) pm me for more deets if you wanna gonna go there
closest place to northcote is villian or this is it...
tee193 wrote: on the real, if your doing stencils, and dont want specific colours, just use exports, 3.50 and quick as hell
depends what your painting on/for tho!
if they are quick street stencils (which are meant to be transient and banksy would agree! ;) )
then export is fine, but if you want to do white over colour, paint on fucked surfaces and get good coverage, or do anything worthwhile on a canvas, then exports are fail.

so what's your plans ADD?
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Big ups OBEY !! Front cover of time worldwide.
aroes

Post by aroes »

i boughted one of the P.E tees
John Connor fanboy
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

ghetto kitty wrote:
NakedAge wrote: You'd be suprised how in touch with Hip-Hop culture the ABC network tries to be. Like, I can't say if they're on the ball or not, but atleast they try.
banksy's art has fuck all to do with hip hop culture really....hes more on the culture jamming, anti advertising tip....way different in the world of graff and street art imho.

spray cans >
hardware shops do not sell proper spray paint. they sell martha stewart spray paint, for wanna be mums to put stencils of ducks in sunshine yellow round the top of their impending sprogs walls.

yes to those souhtside dboy said, but northside there is giant in north melbourne too...
my favorite is montana golds.....nobody does spray paint like ze germans do!
dont be fooled by ironlak, yes cheaper and yes aussie made, casue they are shit!
quite expensive for most real writers, who would be mixing their own from line marking paint x cheap paint, ultra sticky, ultrathick, and shade controllable, all for peanuts
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

sure...

but ADD was askin where to get good quality spray paint.

i love line marking paint.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Someone told me that someone had managed to buff the Banksy spaceman in Flinders Lane?
Truth?
tee193

Post by tee193 »

mmm dymark yellow

wish i was not as lazy as i used to be with mixing, shit was fun but left lots of mess

also like to shed my hatred of the 1 dollar plasticote factory that was in north melbourne, explosive black all over my hands gahh!
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

hello all

my sons outdoor childcare play area (rooftop in city) is a whole lot of bare walls at the moment, but i think the centre is coming into a bit of $ (probably only paint costs) for a spruce up.

i thought id ask about people who might be able to do some larger works suitable to this sort of space. a while ago I was asking who the artist was who did the works of birds and girls, which I saw by misty and also in fitzroy - nice as it was a larger work incorporating trees and nice images - i think a kiwi as I recall mokos and NZ fauna

but no-one seemed to know the works I was talking about... thought id ask again though? or any other suggestions on artists? its a large space and natural imagery and colour would be nice
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i think i know the walls you mean, but dont know who the artist is, but i bet if you walked into the shops next to the wall i think they would pass their details onto you for a commission like that...

I am still hooked up with the sketch city guys and there is some really amazing artists in that crew who could do something if you want me to put the feelers out...just let me know!

in other street art news, there is a show opening on thursday night called "your kid cant do this", the artist ELK does MAD shit, think logan hicks but from brisvegas ;)

the blurb > Long expected and now finally opening in Melbourne after its showing in Canberra and before traveling to Sydney is the international stencil art exhibition Your Kid Can't Do This.
Canberra artist E.L.K. has assembled works by 23 artists from six different countries, including Orticanoodles, Vexta, Tesura, Deed, A1one, Lucamaleonte, Joshua Smith, Kirpy, Papermonster, Haha, Czarnobyl, Penny, Soule, Snik, Adam5100, Eyeski, E.L.K., Jamin, Spizz, LECKOmio, Jef Aerosol, Byrd, John Koleszar and Penny.
Opening on Thursday, 8 April from 6 pm. This exhibition runs from 8 - 26 April.
at Famous When Dead Gallery 207 victoria st west melbourne.

im going.
FoundationStepper

ghetto kitty wrote:I am still hooked up with the sketch city guys and there is some really amazing artists in that crew who could do something if you want me to put the feelers out...just let me know!
would really be appreciated, good to make contact with people, plus id like to be able to direct the centre person to a few images to show that a 'street artist' could be really suitable...

ttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii975321`u-boatioi[
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

send me an email @ [email protected] with some more specifics, like where/when/ideas etc
and ill forward to some suitable artists for you k?

meeeeeeoeoeoeoeooeooowwwwwwww
botias

Post by botias »

your gallery on your site ghetto fucked my head up
10mo
mrj

Post by mrj »

FoundationStepper wrote:hello all

my sons outdoor childcare play area (rooftop in city) is a whole lot of bare walls at the moment, but i think the centre is coming into a bit of $ (probably only paint costs) for a spruce up.

i thought id ask about people who might be able to do some larger works suitable to this sort of space. a while ago I was asking who the artist was who did the works of birds and girls, which I saw by misty and also in fitzroy - nice as it was a larger work incorporating trees and nice images - i think a kiwi as I recall mokos and NZ fauna

but no-one seemed to know the works I was talking about... thought id ask again though? or any other suggestions on artists? its a large space and natural imagery and colour would be nice
tbh sounds like ghost patrol to me.

http://ghostpatrol.net/
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

botias - its not ready yet, thats why its all head fukky, standby for official update launch ;)

and @ mrj > phhht to ghostpatrol, it def was not him. he is good at drawings and other stuff, but not for big mural jobs like this imho.
mrj

Post by mrj »

oh ok was whole mural.

cos sometimes i have seen him do kiwi bird. plus little girl type things. yanno. YANNO.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I KNO!!!!

;)
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

I LOVE GP !!! :)

Hey .....

Does anyone know that D*FACE is in the hizzle at the moment? And when i say hizzle i mean melbs...

http://bigmouthproject.com

interesting..

Been seeing all these posters around the place and logged on to the website the other day and surprise surprise..
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

ohoh yeah . .its on display till 10am today ...
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
FoundationStepper

gk - still mean to email you on this project, thanks... but wondering, people, perhaps it might be bonsai, two or them together?

http://www.niceproduce.com/grassroots/view.php?t=hg3

the backgrounds look kind of familiar. there was a nice bird piece from bonsai i saw in the foyer of a building on exhibition, near russell the other day too
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I LOVE bonsai and two's stuff. Ive got two big prints from them that i bought with lmb and brb at a show.

Im not sure if its thier piece on the wall you were talking about though, where was it exactly again?
FoundationStepper

hmm looking over the older stuff again

i think my memory if failing me on the older works, realising now there were quite different.

The bonsai I saw with the birds in the building of exhibition was nice. The bonsai and two example linked above also looks lovely

im looking again and realise that the hosier lane was two works near each other which i confused. the hosier one was mainly these ones of the girl: http://vexta.com.au/1.0/?page_id=3 - images 17 and 18, middle of middle row on the page. the detail of the flowers behind her were really nice

but it also worked in with this larger work: Image

with animals and birds and stuff, so i was thrown. who is this? there is also a piece in palmer st, fitzroy, possibly by same artist?

but anyway, get the feeling bonsai or bonsai and two might be a good idea for the place - know of more online examples i can show to the childcare?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

you know that vexta is an artist right? she did the big pink girl stencil in the one above, but that is a huge collab with loads of artists,
even french fafi to the left who is one of my favorites!

i think you'd be better off finding the artists youd like to approach and then asking them for interest before emailing pics of their work to the childcare. not sure if the artists you are talking about would do a wall just for paint as payment, as some of them are in high demand, but I could be wrong.
FoundationStepper

gotcha - didn't know vexta was an artist... i like that work.

yep ill get some more info on the space and funds then maybe source some contacts...?

thought there might be some accessible online examples of works from gallerys/canvas etc to help sell the idea to the centre first though? (they dont really get where im coming from yet)

yep ive been imagining that they would be expecting more than just materials but i need to fly the kite with the centre first up

thanks for the advice!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

why dont you look through this thread for some good examples of melbourne stuff to show them

http://www.stencilrevolution.com/forum/ ... opic=12265

;)
tee193

Post by tee193 »

went to that d*face exhibition, was major MEH, so hyped up and a lot of people asking "wheres the art?"

pirate ship ride did win though
Friday

Post by Friday »

FoundationStepper wrote:hmm looking over the older stuff again

i think my memory if failing me on the older works, realising now there were quite different.

The bonsai I saw with the birds in the building of exhibition was nice. The bonsai and two example linked above also looks lovely

im looking again and realise that the hosier lane was two works near each other which i confused. the hosier one was mainly these ones of the girl: http://vexta.com.au/1.0/?page_id=3 - images 17 and 18, middle of middle row on the page. the detail of the flowers behind her were really nice

but it also worked in with this larger work: Image

with animals and birds and stuff, so i was thrown. who is this? there is also a piece in palmer st, fitzroy, possibly by same artist?

but anyway, get the feeling bonsai or bonsai and two might be a good idea for the place - know of more online examples i can show to the childcare?
i know who did the giraffe fs if you mean that? it's a diff person to the other animals... pm me and i can give you their contact details ;)
plasmo

Post by plasmo »

FS: if you mean the stencils of flowers and birds to the right, they're by Flox, she's a NZer. :)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

they is gorgeous.
FoundationStepper

YES! they were the original ones that gave me the idea for this. i love em. pity she is nz based!