The Travel Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Amick

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by Amick »

Not sure i'd want to sleep in a 5 year old's sheets...
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

Amick wrote:Shitstar
Shitestar
Fuckstar
Jetfuck
Jetscar

etc, etc...
deathstar!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

deviant wrote:I'm going to go stay here..

http://www.bottlebeach1resort.com

freakin' sweet! seriously, cheapest room is $17 per night.. most exxy... $80
so glad you guys are going there! fucking luuuuuuushhhh......and secluded...take stuff to keep yourselves occupied like books n games n things ;)

Amick - most sheets in Thailand & half of SE Asia are pastel colours. :P
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

another travel q - anyone been to ko tao? got accomm recommendations? want something pretty nice so if anyone has been please fill me in!
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

We "got stuck" there for a month.

Are you doing any diving? If so you can get pretty much free accom from the place you do diving with. Quality depends on place.

You want to stay somewhere in Sairee I reckon, unless you want to be away from everything.

If you are up for paying a bit I think you could just rock up and look at rooms ( just don't arrive the day after the Full Moon party finishes).

Ha, I have just realised my travel advice sucks.

oh just remembered this place looks MAD!

INFINTY POOL AHOY!

http://www.kohtaotoday.com/rooms_the_ro ... las_E.html
Don't hate me for house
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Yupper Ben - was on Ko Tao just a few months back.
Stayed here...
http://www.jamahkiri.com/

It is out of town, like 4wheel drive out of town - but we wanted to be away from the english backpackers scene. They do run a shuttle into town as well.

Stayed in the 'old hotel' which are effectively AMAZING rooms carved into the rock, simply breathtaking attention to detail. Has fantastic pool, it's own private beach as well. You can hire paddle craft and reach 4 or 5 other beaches in less than 1/2 hour - all with bars right there on the sand. They have their own PADI centre too if you want to dive with out the hassle of big boats and lots of people.
Not the cheapest place, but we were on our honey moon - we loved it so much.
There is also a little walking track up behind the hotel which leads further up into the mountians. A trippy family lives up there and run a 'restuarant' from their house. The Dad came out and passed a bong around during dinner - classic stuff and was some of the best fresh seafood we had.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

D that place looks awesome thankyou! edit - it's perfect. so good! you don't know how hard it is to find good places in ko tao through search engines!

JBS - thanks again. You don't by any chance know of anywhere good to stay in Paris do you (as the all knowing traveller!) I need some advice for October!
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

No worries mate - glad to recommend it.

This is my Paris... Have stayed there three times now. Paris accommodation is really different and varied, like London or New York different people like to stay in different areas. And that will depend what you are in town for. In Paris I like to stay up in what has the feeling of an artists quarter + the views at night from the top'o'the'hill are spot on. A bottle of cheap wine, some cheese and crackers, a spot on the lawn near the juggling freaks and a view over paris... yes please.

http://www.hotelroma.fr/

It is up near Sacre Couer in Montmartre. There is a subway station about 30 metres away and a little cafe below which is local based - so Paris. The hotel itself is quirky, each room is different and ohhh so Paris. It is reasonable for what it is, you won't do much better (note - I just checked the prices and it seems the areas 'cool' factor has gone up as it more expensive than when i was last there). It may not be the cleanest - but fuk I can still just sense the vibe of the place, not a straight wall in site.
It is family owned, they don't speak much English so certainly helps to know a little French, but always been more than pleasant to me, and compared to some of the nightmares you hear about it is a safe bet.

I have walked from here to St Germaine before - it takes a good part of the day, but what a way to spend the day, loosing yourself in Paris.

I got loads of recommendations I could make if you wanted.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

shepherd wrote:D that place looks awesome thankyou! edit - it's perfect. so good! you don't know how hard it is to find good places in ko tao through search engines!

JBS - thanks again. You don't by any chance know of anywhere good to stay in Paris do you (as the all knowing traveller!) I need some advice for October!
We stayed at Hotel Elysee Montparnasse. It was pretty cool and close to lots of dope crepe places and the underground. Would recommend.

No idea on cost, was a gift.
Don't hate me for house
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

wicked... all this travel talks got me fired up.

I just had my leave approved for October !!!!

Japan woot woot woot!!!!!!
gnat

Post by gnat »

i want a holiday rec- beachfront, pretty nice but not death expensive. must have warm water

been looking at fiji. seems like there's a lot of compulsory meal plans and push to be 'involved' in activities. could not for activities- fijian dancing, quoits, basket weaving or sharing a convo with other guests over breakfast either

i just want to relax and do NOTHING, walk on big stretch of white beach. and a beach out the front i can swim in. no trance. no kids. no meal plans

??
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i have checked out fiji too gnat - and decided against. too toursity and honeymoony...

sounds like you should go to bottle beach where Dan & india are going! have you been through thailand much?
loads of places away from touristas!

i am also considering the Solomon islands, like fiji before fiji became fiji....
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

dengelman

Post by dengelman »

I has the infos on the Solomons...

Breathtaking beauty (esp Western Province), but NOT cheap and not easy to travel... Can tell more if interested...

Gnat: had that same dilemma many times - always seems hard to go past Thailand TBH... Could not for Fiji package deal.

99% locked in leave for March-April

JAPAN here we come!! Woot woot! :blob5:
almax

Post by almax »

or maybe Cocos islands?
gnat

Post by gnat »

hmmm. thanks for recs guys

vanuatu is nice d- but pretty pricey to eat and drink- similar prices to aus

dengelman reckon you're right re thailand. looking at ko kho khao for a week. and a sick cliffside lux joint in samui for a week of massage and frangipani baths on the deck
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

any good sites etc for Japan accomodations etc?
mrj

Post by mrj »

lol didn't you live in Japan for 2 years?
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

yes.. LIVE not stay :P

and it was 10 years ago..

lots of you have been since so was wondering if any mad tips? :)
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

yes please all japan hot-tips appreciated. :wink:

(will also trawl back through previous 38 pages of thread i promise)

lol at gnat samui frangipani bathing holiday - gone soft or what?! :lol:
deviant

Post by deviant »

I stayed in hostels... prob not what you are after
elysium

Post by elysium »

Any recommendations of good restaurants / bars / places to go in Krakow and Warsaw? Was in krakow back in 2001 as a skint backpacker so didn't see that much besides the standard stuff. First time in Warsaw.
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
nic

Post by nic »

yeah hot girls
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Hmmm. Was in krakow a few years back, saw Andy c play in a basement club, was mad. No real recommendations though, was a skint backpacker myself. I prefered western Poland, rural areas, krakow and big W didn't really have as much charm as other cities in western Europe, but rural Poland was stunning.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Elly W & K are just awesome.

loved the (cant remember the name) square in the centre of both cities.

mad break dancing and music and show/carry on.

restaurants OUTside these squares are the winner as they arent so touristy. sorry names etc escape me... mmm peirogi... with the mad bacon sauce.. .mmmm

u going to auschwitz?

also re clubs etc.. each time I got to a city a quick google usually found me what was on and happening around town.. and backpackers usually know :)
gnat

Post by gnat »

welcome back elly. poland was too long ago for me to give you anything good sorry

and LOL dengelman i am going soft and easy up for this holiday. priming for south america next. far out there are some SICK places to stay in ko tao. and so cheap for what they are. gimme gimme lux holiday, beachfront, many alcoholic beverages and twice daily massages
Amick

Post by Amick »

elysium wrote:Any recommendations of good restaurants / bars / places to go in Krakow and Warsaw? Was in krakow back in 2001 as a skint backpacker so didn't see that much besides the standard stuff. First time in Warsaw.
Tower Pub in Krakow is good for Metal/Death Metal. In a basement, lots of metal heads/goths and cheap beer. Was a crackin' night.

Also there's heaps of good Turkish restaurants (this was in 2007), and also stay away from cheap pierogi.

EDIT: One more thing, check out the salt mine outside of Krakow.
gnat

Post by gnat »

http://www.haadtien.com/

oh hello lover...
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

:shock: holy crap that looks awesome Gnatty. not bad price on the hide away villas either!
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
gnat

Post by gnat »

i know. going full lux though in castaway jobbies for a week then a week cliffside in samui with personal plunge pool and the whole shebang

gimme gimme gimme...
elysium

Post by elysium »

Thanks all! :D
DBoy wrote:saw Andy c play in a basement club, was mad.
Do you know, one of the first things I thought of when I found out I was going to Krakow was you! hehe I remembered that you posted years ago about randomly walking down into into some kind of medieval dungeon where you saw Andy C for about 5 euro or something. Stuck in my mind.

Luke - thanks for the tips finding the good restaurants. I am looking forward to actually be able to eat at restaurants this time - last time it was a steady diet of ham and cheese sandwiches!
I did go the first time. I had for years thought I should in some weird way? And then when I actually got to Krakow I almost didn't because I felt like I would be intruding or being a rubberneck or something. One of the things that weirded me out the most was how eerily normal Auschwitz 1 was... on the outside at least. Which was somehow more disturbing than Birkenau even though that was the one that was purpose built.

Amick - definitely want to see the salt mines. I thought they were just holes in the ground where salt was mined and was not too interested -- did not realise there was all this stuff actually carved out of the salt. Looking forward to it :)

Gnatty - enjoy the beach, bevvies and backrubs - it sounds divine!
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

wow - gnat that place looks incredible. jealous!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

gnat wrote:i know. going full lux though in castaway jobbies for a week then a week cliffside in samui with personal plunge pool and the whole shebang

gimme gimme gimme...

lol i just made other people at my work jealous. but then not so lol cos i'm not going. dammit
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

this is where we stayed on Samui. Pure luxury and they had great taste in music too.
http://www.sandalwoodsamui.com/
gnat

Post by gnat »

hehe liz- it's a great site- partic by thai standards. hope it's as good as it looks

cheers d- i looked at that place. looks lovely. also got this joint on my radar:

http://www.zarabeachresort.com/home.html

man there are some whingeing khunts on trip advisor. the stuff they bother complaining about lol
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

elysium wrote:Thanks all! :D

Luke - thanks for the tips finding the good restaurants. I am looking forward to actually be able to eat at restaurants this time - last time it was a steady diet of ham and cheese sandwiches!
I did go the first time. I had for years thought I should in some weird way? And then when I actually got to Krakow I almost didn't because I felt like I would be intruding or being a rubberneck or something. One of the things that weirded me out the most was how eerily normal Auschwitz 1 was... on the outside at least. Which was somehow more disturbing than Birkenau even though that was the one that was purpose built.
i smaaaashed the peroigi hard in poland.. haha.. (Actually 3 months in Europe all up I reckon I put on 10 kilos too much good food)

It was sort of the reason I went to Europe all the stuff I'd read etc I also felt i HAD to go ..

Apart from what I already knew the sheer size of it was what I struggled to take in. Then the rooms with the hair, the toothbrushes, false teeth etc etc ..

I was honestly speechless for the next day or so ...

I stumbled on to some mad gigs also while in a few countries (eg: a crazy dnb party in venice in one of those old meeting place square things) just by googling stuff like 'dnb, breaks (insert city)' just before i arrived and stubbled on some mad parties..
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

DBoy wrote:this is where we stayed on Samui. Pure luxury and they had great taste in music too.
http://www.sandalwoodsamui.com/
looks plush dude! still pumped for ko tao after that place you showed me. looks awesome.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Decided I NEED to go to Bora Bora in august. Tahiti or Vanuatu, I dont think i mind. both look as fucking tropical paradise as the other.

anyone been?
gnat

Post by gnat »

bora bora would be sick sammy. would love to stay in those over water hut thingimys
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

Hatsudai wrote:
Amick wrote:Shitstar
Shitestar
Fuckstar
Jetfuck
Jetscar

etc, etc...
deathstar!
I've never flown Jetstar overseas.
Just to clarify:
- Is it the same as national service - ie: pay more for food, movies etc?
- Why exactly does it suck so bad?

Looking for cheap flights to Japan, and pretty much seems Jetstar and Cathay are the cheapest by far...
Thanks guys.
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

late march-april...
BANG!
gnat

Post by gnat »

dan, my sis flew back from thailand with jetstar and reckoned it had even less leg room- bad news for her 6ft 6 partner

their other gripes were paying for food, movies, blankets etc and that the staff couldn't give a shit

dunno if this is reflective of service in general though...

in terms of safety, jetstar has a better record than cathay, albeit a new airline
deviant

Post by deviant »

for $400 bux more return you can fly Malaysia Air... Great service and no extra costs... I had one bad flight with them though... was right in front of toilets.. therefore seat would not recline and had stinky toilet queue next to me and flushing sound every 10 mins.... SUCKED for 7 hours.

try and pick your seats as far away from the fecking toilets as possible
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

jetstar international is pretty crap, but fine tbh.
its like air asia really....

im really needing to plan a trip somewhere this year to get me through this season of loads of work.

but i just dunno where to go.

still interested in solomon islands, samoa or somewhere tropical and off the beaten track.
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

Hmmm... thanks for advice. Forgot about leg room - that kills me on long flights - awake and uncomfortable whilst the lady sleeps blissfully!

Still reckon I'll go with a cheapie - 400 extra shmackos to spend in a random Japanese bar!

GK: as i said I've worked and travelled in both the Sols and Samoa, so hit us up if any specific q's.
deviant

Post by deviant »

Varkala India, looks mad

http://z.about.com/d/goindia/1/0/s/7/-/-/varkala1.jpg

I'd love to go there...
mrj

Post by mrj »

ghetto kitty wrote:jetstar international is pretty crap, but fine tbh.
its like air asia really....

im really needing to plan a trip somewhere this year to get me through this season of loads of work.

but i just dunno where to go.

still interested in solomon islands, samoa or somewhere tropical and off the beaten track.
i flew jetstar international and tbh it was fine. pretty slow service on one of the flights, but still didn't matter overly so. tbh take a valium, service or lack thereof is not a problem if you are alseep.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

for $400 bux more return you can fly Malaysia Air... Great service and no extra costs... I had one bad flight with them though... was right in front of toilets.. therefore seat would not recline and had stinky toilet queue next to me and flushing sound every 10 mins.... SUCKED for 7 hours.
oh no! i had that on a JAL flight from JFK to Narita ... 14 hours of can.

Had the same thing back from BKK last year. 9 hours of can.

Pleasant.
deviant

Post by deviant »

That was Narita to KL

wasn't happy... plus that particular plane had sucky inflight entertainment system too... was mega fail