The Travel Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Blaxter

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by Blaxter »

lol @ quick - you want one of us to come over and show you how to find a place to stay in SE Asia.
My hand, let me show you it.
Can has man to squirel hand holding.
nic

Post by nic »

[youtube]man to squirel hand holding.[/youtube]

:scr1pt:

sounds lik the name of a good book.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

I wanna talk about Fiji. 8)

For diving and stuff. Dont want major tourist bollocks but not totally isolated either.
Suggestions?
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:I wanna talk about Fiji. 8)

For diving and stuff. Dont want major tourist bollocks but not totally isolated either.
Suggestions?
Shoot me an email at work. I spent a month sailing and diving around Fiji. Most people go to the main island Viti Levu. Jump on a short flight to the other big (but way less developed) island Vanua Levu and you will leave all the tourists and crowds behind....... :wink: It's way safer too.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

we're going to paris in october with a stopover in dubai.

anyone have any dubai recommendations? 3-4 days there and looking for things to do, good accomm etc
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

So i have a night in KL in June.

Where is the best place to stay? Backpackers area?

Looked in Lonely Plant and couldn't find one.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
deviant

Post by deviant »

bukkit bintang is the main drag.... I guess it's alright :?

not a fan of KL in general tbh, whatever you do, do not stay in Chow Kit... ghetto as
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

KL is god awful.

just eat and get out of there :lol:
Fents

Post by Fents »

KL's alright imo. We stayed at the Shangri La and it was pretty bloody nice mind though it was a bit expensive but just depends if your after backpackers style or a nice hotel.

Go to the twin towers shopping centre it was bloody big. Also the markets in chinatown are great but beware of the hasslers. I had one guy chase me down the street trying to sell me dodgy DVD's. Just dont speak or look at them and they will go away. Also there is this great indoor market about a 15mins cab ride from centre of town, best market ever, cheap shisha pipes to be had ;)
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

wow i came in here to get excited about my o/s trip and people are bagging out KL which is where i am going. Not to worry, i am going to have a good time and de-stress!!! been way overwhelmed with stuff of late and need a break, sick of people saying i look tired and stressed

bigups to my boy's parents who are also buying us tickets to somewhere - its a surprise. could be Bali, Bangkok, Singapore, who knows! Excited!
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

i take that back, i just read Fents post and am excited all over again! YAYS! :D
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i only hated KL cos i had just been on the ultra relaxo holiday jungle time in Borneo, and KL was like being reamed with about 50 cultures and massive ads and lights and neon and sleaze after that - culture shock.

im sure there is great things there, I only had time for a stopover and you cant find out shit about a place on a mission like that. youll have a ball - its completely different to anything aussie, and how exciting for secret destination too!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

ahhhh i see, that completely makes sense, i reckon i wouldn't do well with a place after relaxo time either.

my boy's parents live there, so they are taking us to all the local places they go too. already lined up for a massive dinner thing with all their ex-pat mates on the first night. should be sweet :)
click here fo fotos
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

awesome liz will have to pick your brain for where to eat and an ok area to stay when you get back. seems like it's mostly high end hotel chains from what i've seen on the interwebs. want somewhere with a bit of nightlife and good noms for the night.
Fents

Post by Fents »

liz you will not be dissapointed. As kitty said its a stopover for most people and as its a major city it can get pretty hectic, especially the traffic...watch those scooters fly in every direction.

we had also just come back from borneo so it was a bit of a head fuck at first but once we got settled it was all cocktails!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

witty_pseudonym wrote:awesome liz will have to pick your brain for where to eat and an ok area to stay when you get back. seems like it's mostly high end hotel chains from what i've seen on the interwebs. want somewhere with a bit of nightlife and good noms for the night.
yeah for sure lovey :D

cheers Fents! :D
click here fo fotos
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Thanks Fents.

I am there for less that 24 hours so i am looking to eat, get pissed, eat some more, get even more pissed, maybe eat again and then go to bed.

So backpackers area could be good, don't want to spend heaps as it is a stopover place not a holiday place.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
gnat

Post by gnat »

you'll have a ball liz. you can get carried away with feedback sometimes. take it with a grain of salt

we're doing thai holiday just after xmas now so i need a warm oz destination for a week in october to get me through. not too pricey, not WA.. gimme a destination...
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

KL has a bar called Traders that you NEED to go to if you can. Fuck me, its totally amazing!!! 33rd floor or something is this bar and it has 360 degree views of KL. There's a pool in the middle too, flush to the floor level!! Sunkin in seats and just brilliantly comfortable.

Monorail is way fun too :)

Pricey drinks, but you have 1 or 2 for the afternoon and just take in these views, sooo worth it!!

We then pretended we were staying there and got their free shuttle to the other side of the city :lol: take advantage of the giving attitude!!

I didnt like it very much the first day i was there, but once I got used to it, i loved it!! The Towers are amazing, the markets are pretty fun and for me, it was such an interesting place. Its as if its trying to be like all these other places so theres something for everyone, and yet by doing that, they seemed to not have an existance of their own. If that makes sense.
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

Need travel soon, Daily Grind is grinding.....
gnat

Post by gnat »

thailand after xmas is too bloody expensive. anyone been to the phillipines? was looking at boracay island. looks pretty schmick. the more i look the more confused i get, between juggling seasons and weather and pricing etc

death. i just need a holiday. preferably in october/ nov.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Go Fiji Natty, cheap as chips. Package deal with everything included, relaxo is the only option.
October got whales and turtles for diving and no cyclones cos there not in season.

A guy I work with is married to a Phillipino chick so goes every year. There is apparently some islands that are rarely visited and he reckons there almost the best islands in the whole world. I can get more info if you like????
gnat

Post by gnat »

hmmm yeh little lady. i want to be able to swim at the beach i'm staying at. one of our mates went and they had to get a bloody boat to a swimming beach. that's so fail imo.

also a lot of places i looked seemed to be very 'package orientated' highly exciteable about group activties (orgies?) etc and communal dining. sounds like certain death to me.

am open to suggestions though. my brain is inside out. needs cheap hot destination as south america on the near horizon so this is a filler

vanuatu looks pretty pricey, bali already done and didn't really like it.. port douglas is pricey.. am defo interested in the phillipines islands lady. would appreciate muchly!
deviant

Post by deviant »

thailand only ~$800 return in Oct/Nov

mind you, I paid $580 return for Feb this year.
gnat

Post by gnat »

yeh but october is end of monsoon... prob still get good weather though.. would shops and restaurants be open on samui/ ko tao i wonder?..

i was looking after xmas as november and early dec out and flights were $1800 due to the season! i could fly to beunos aires for that
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Hatsudai wrote:Need travel soon, Daily Grind is grinding.....
same here.

i have got the same problem gnat....where tropical, cheap that I havent been before etc

vanuatu is expensive but amazing apparently, samui and kho tao will totes be open and happening year round...

why didnt you like Bali?

ach, if i dont go away in winter i wont be able to till next fuckin winter. :(
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

Required:

1 x Romantic Cottage, with open fire, pref with Spa bath, but secluded, beach or mountains OK just a little getaway for snuggling up in, and drinking wine, and eating... and snuggles....

Suggestions?
gnat

Post by gnat »

http://www.dulc.com.au/ gramps charlie? or heaps of places here for bright: http://www.stayz.smh.com.au/holiday-at-bright

we've stayed at the evening star twice and charan oaks is also really good

hmmm GK.. bali was foul- full of hideous australian tourists but having said that our hotel was in kuta and then jimbaran bay which was honeymoon central..

i'm now looking at the malay peninsula. see this joint:

http://www.japamalaresorts.com/rooms-Tioman-Island.html

you look and i'll look and between us we'll find a holiday lady!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

if i was going to go to bali i would head as far away from Kuta as i could get tbh, thniking Lombok and Ubud tbh,
Friday told me theres heaps of good stuff if you know how to escape the touristas...
but yeh, never been on my radar before due to it being THE place whitey trashbags go for holiday.

If you are thinking Malaysia, look into Borneo babe, i really loved it...
some of the islands of kota kinbalu look exactly like hat resort you posted...
cheap accomodation, lots to do n see, very friendly people.....etc...cost us $500 return from melb via KL!!
check out my pics on FB, happy to give you more detial if you decide to go.
witty_pseudonym

i want my holiday NOW.
i think i'll just eat my way around vietnam tbh.
BRING.IT.
gnat

Post by gnat »

ghetto kitty wrote:if i was going to go to bali i would head as far away from Kuta as i could get tbh, thniking Lombok and Ubud tbh,
Friday told me theres heaps of good stuff if you know how to escape the touristas...
but yeh, never been on my radar before due to it being THE place whitey trashbags go for holiday.

If you are thinking Malaysia, look into Borneo babe, i really loved it...
some of the islands of kota kinbalu look exactly like hat resort you posted...
cheap accomodation, lots to do n see, very friendly people.....etc...cost us $500 return from melb via KL!!
check out my pics on FB, happy to give you more detial if you decide to go.
thanks lady. will check your pics

borneo adds another contender to the mix. my mind floweth over!
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Natty, will ask guy next week, he's away. Will get special secret recommendations :wink:
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

gnat wrote:http://www.dulc.com.au/ gramps charlie? or heaps of places here for bright: http://www.stayz.smh.com.au/holiday-at-bright

hmmm GK.. bali was foul- full of hideous australian tourists but having said that our hotel was in kuta and then jimbaran bay which was honeymoon central..

OOOH Dulc looks great! thanks honey i never thought of Bright... nice spot tho!

Thanks heaps
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

I'm back! had an awesome time! Went to KL, Singapore, Jahore Bahru (border of Malaysia) and Langkawi

i loved KL. Crazy mash of culture all in one, its jungle meets the city. Its beautiful, its filthy, its crazy driving, lovely people, really humid weather and full on showering rain every day, china town is the bizz! The food! The shopping! Just loved it. I stayed with my boy’s parents out in Bangsar which is about 10-15mins out of the main city. We were in a condo which had a pool, so swimming every day! Awesome! Miss it!

Tips for Witty – go eat at Mei Keng Fatt in Ampang off Hulukelang. The food was absolutely amazing! Also check out any of the main restaurants along Jalang Pettling (Jalang means road) which is the main strip in China Town. China Town can probably be full on, but just embrace the crazy and you will love it. I didn’t make it to the swimming park, but as Oli and Fents say, its pretty rad. I went to the bird park which was pretty cool and also the twin towers and telecom tower (which is the better one to check out the 360 degree view of KL.

We then went and stayed in Jahore Bahru and travelled back and forth between there and Singapore for a few days. We stayed in a pretty nice resort place that Liam’s parents took us too, so that was pretty sweet. Singapore was okay, but i wouldn’t do it again. Its pretty boring really and feels like they sucked out the culture of asia out of it, which i found to be well weird. We did the night safari and day zoo which was probably the highlight. Oh wait, we also went to Sentosa which is by the sea and did some silly rides like the luge, and did zip-lining and chair-lifts etc. They were pretty cool, but not crazy extreme really.

We then did a crazy trek back from Singapore straight to the airport, bought tickets to Langkawi and were on a plane an hour later. Awesome! Fricken loved Langkawi and wished we’d stayed longer. Nothing beats walking from your room, down to the beach (like 10 to 20 meters away), laying on a beach chair and sipping pina coldas all day long, with a spot of jet skiing. Also the food in Langkawi was great! Went to Fat Mums place for dinner one night, yum yum crab. Also ate some Mexican for lunch one day which was probably some of the best i have ever tasted.

Overall, i am in love with Malaysia
click here fo fotos
witty_pseudonym

farking wicked lady.
thanks for the tups.
lunch soon! :D
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

no worries hun! and yes yes to lunch! :D
click here fo fotos
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

gnat wrote:anyone been to the phillipines?
Going in early Sept.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

glad you had a great time liz!
Last edited by ghetto kitty on Tue May 04, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retzie

Post by retzie »

Heads-up kids: cheeeeeeap Qantas flights to the US. I've only been looking in August, but for then, they're back around the $AU1k mark.
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
Fents

Post by Fents »

sounds awsome liz! how bloody nice and friendly are all the people! salamat pagi (hello) everytime we spoke to someone.

damn you took me back just thinking about that water park flying down waterslides at break neck speeds with oli in tow and just laughing. nned another holiday stat.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

gutted i missed the water park, but laying on the beach in Langkawi def made up for it. now i want to go back to Langkawi for like a week or two and drink pina coldas, jet ski, paraglide and feed the baby sharks. savings plan already happening!
click here fo fotos
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

retzie wrote:Heads-up kids: cheeeeeeap Qantas flights to the US. I've only been looking in August, but for then, they're back around the $AU1k mark.
ken oath... saw them to LA or SFO for $999 with Qantas return... so want to go to NYC, and in summer too!!!!

Damn lack of savings! :(
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Charlie73 wrote:
gnat wrote:http://www.dulc.com.au/ gramps charlie? or heaps of places here for bright: http://www.stayz.smh.com.au/holiday-at-bright

OOOH Dulc looks great! thanks honey i never thought of Bright... nice spot tho!

Thanks heaps

man Bright does look the goods, that Evening Star place looks amazing. will keep this link for possible anniversary weekend away me thinks
click here fo fotos
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Fents wrote:salamat pagi (hello)
actually, it means "good morning".

bali and lombok are indeed tops.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
gnat

Post by gnat »

liz the evening star is gorggggeous. deafening silence and bath with wine and a view is best therapy ever

after deliberation upon deliberation we've settled back on thailand early dec. ko tao and ko samui. total mack. non monsoon. low season cheapness. locked and loaded GIMME

(i'm still interested in the phillipines sammy though so if you find out anything post it up :) )
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

man, i learned indo for near on ten years and never even went there ... of course now i've forgotten all the vocab. huhu.

anyone ever lived or spent any decent amount of time in montreal? i've only been there once for a week and it struck me as fairly shit, but happy to be proved wrong.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
retzie

Post by retzie »

^ Just got back from there. It was only a short trip for me, but I was staying with mates who have been there for a year and love it. Rent is cheap, food is amazing - what's not to like?

(Well, apart from the cold.)
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

hm, interesting. (i love the cold.)

what's it like for bars and general interesting shit to do? i'm already resigned to subpar coffee because i hate tim horton's - maple syrup also not a fave, heh.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

Liz did you go to the sky bridge thing? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langkawi_Sky_Bridge
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
witty_pseudonym

you moving foo?