The Travel Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
ghetto kitty

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by ghetto kitty »

Im not buying anything in this current climate as a single person. totally impossible. I dont want to live in a flat in Darwin fuckin!

So I just bank my cash and wait for something to happen, and in the meantime, travel as much as i can....
RK

Post by RK »

ghetto kitty wrote:
anyone who can help me with accomodation in Ubud, or other must see places please let me know! also need help from scuba divers, in the diving thread..
Dived some awesome sites in Bali, Topayakeh on Nusa Lembongan is frickin awesome if ya gonna head over there, and Manta Point is good if there aren't too many thrashing Japanese tourists scaring all the mantas away! Also the USAT Liberty wreck at Talumben is pretty sweet if ya haven't done a wreck dive before, somethin different. Gilis are also nice but only really the deeper sites because of top corals being destroyed in the last 10-15years. Some of the deep sites are SICK if you are certified to go that deep.

Stayed at an awesome place in Ubud too but I can't remember the name, will see if I can find.
On the mish.....
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hmmm Im not certified for anything but PADI open water at this stage....but heading to gili trawangan and i thin kits manta dive im staying at....wonder if i should do the course for deep/wreck diving as I am really into the idea of wreck diving!
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Wreck diving is AMAZING on a big boat.

recommend doing your deep & wreck ticket Bo if you can.

Vanuatu wreck dive image for you I did with the old man in Feb last year.

The last photo is taken at approx 61 mtrs

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

full on. looks aweosme.

will look into it for sure!
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

looking fwd to business trip to US in Sept - NYC/PHI/LAX/SFO - 16 days. 9 of those in NYC boom plus stays at the ACE in NYC, Roosevelt in LA and Intercontinental in SFO. Feet up!
quick

Post by quick »

Europe travel fail so far... been here 6 weeks or so and have only seen 2 cities in Sweden and Berlin...

its Berlins fault, its way too good, I have been here 4 weeks already, I want to stay here for another month or 2... and I can, will cost me about $300 AUD a month to have my own room in middle of Berlin with an awesome French chick... got so many friends here now its really hard to leave... and daily living is so cheap, I could stay here without working for 9-10 months easy... hrmm... not sure, I know I should see the rest but its more exe in UK and I can go for a week now and again to Amsterdam and Prague and other places... just dont know if I shold continue backpacking or live it up in one of the coolest cities ever...
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
gnat

Post by gnat »

hmm that's interesting you saying it's cheap quick- i reckon it was pretty pricey as far as european cities go. however, room deal is cheap as! but i reckon keep moving unless you are working there

there's so much more to see! eastern bloc countries are cheap as hell- hungary, czech rep, poland.. so so good. would hate to have missed them...

reckon the gloss will wear off berlin sooner or later, as it would any other place you are effectively squatting in as a traveller. leave while the good times are fresh and keep rollin imo..
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Fuck that.

If you are having fun stay put.

If you aren't keep going.

Travel is about the experiences, not ticking boxes.

Squatting in Berlin would be mad!
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

agree with Jammmmes.

stay there, then you have LIVED somewhere, not jsut passed through like every other tourist!

sounds like the universe is telling you what to do by giving you the option quickster!
gnat

Post by gnat »

agree with those comments totally but does he want to see other places? it's personal innit

not talking about doing a contiki 15 countries in 2 weeks but has a fair bit of time to see more still if that's what he wants. if you want quick?! depends what you want

you're not locked in- so maybe stay while it's good and move off when it starts losing its shine, that might be a month or 4 months or never.. :-) so jealous. i'd love to be anywhere but dragging myself to work every day in melbs
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

The only things I regret not seeing while OS are those which I missed because of $$

Totes should have maxxed all available cards, babes.

Never regretted staying somewhere, because if I didn't want to leave it was obviously RAD.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I need accommodation recommendations in Kuta, Seminyak or Sanur
i fly in at 2am and so would like somewhere closeish to airport (how far is airport from those places?) I stay one day, then off to Gilli Islands off Lombok by fast boat at 6am next morning.

got any for me guys?
nic

Post by nic »

JAMESSSS wrote:The only things I regret not seeing while OS are those which I missed because of $$

Totes should have maxxed all available cards, babes.

Never regretted staying somewhere, because if I didn't want to leave it was obviously RAD.
:retzielikes: :scripteef:

blates, hon.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

oh4sure!
Don't hate me for house
nic

Post by nic »

huge
old boy

Post by huge »

thinking of moving to panama. anyone got any tips?
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
mecka

Post by mecka »

Bring yer togs.
quick

Post by quick »

huge wrote:thinking of moving to panama. anyone got any tips?
yeah, dont... lol

Colombia is just south and a fuck load better... Panama is the most US influenced south/central american country. Awesome beaches and islands, but not many nice cities or towns.
Last edited by quick on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

huhuh. right on.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Why the fuck would you move to Panama!!!

Boquette is the only livable town I saw (unless you wanna go for Bocas, but hell you'd slit your wrists after a month a reckon) and it's expensive and full of elderly american property investors.

Costa Rica is too Americanised as well.

If you are really gonna move to Central America go to Nicaragua, we met heaps of people buying land there on Ometepe isaland, cheap as chips and construction is even cheaper.
Don't hate me for house
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Looking for a holiday later this year. Got to be baby friendly.

Thinking capervan around the South Island.

Anyone else been of successful trips with bubs?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Friends just did Japan with a 4 month year old. Kyoto, rinsed it. Osaka, rinsed it. Hiroshima, rinsed it. Tokyo, had to rinse it.
Don't hate me for house
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

lol obviously im not moving to panama. just saw pics of their womens "cricket team" :teef:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I think you should move Huge.

Bring fixies to Latin America.
Don't hate me for house
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i've calculated that the next time i will be able to holiday or travel anywhere other than buninyong will be 2 or 3 weeks after my 65th birthday.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Bring fixies to Buninyong?
Don't hate me for house
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

they actually train olympic cyclists in and around buninyong. you should see the hills, leg death.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

i would love to live o/s for a while. i reckon would be well rad, maybe do once bought the house and lived there for a bit, then maybe rent it out and move o/s for a year or two....hmmmm i just thought of that, and it was a good thought! hazzah!
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
deviant

Post by deviant »

JAMESSSS wrote:4 month year old.
:scratch: :tard:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

OK .3 year old then
Don't hate me for house
gnat

Post by gnat »

outlook reminder now says 'YOU NEED A HOLIDAY'

pops up every 6 months. time just flies and i realise i am really really over work and then go uh i've had a week a year ago

gots so much leave. time to start waxing it. HR's nudges about excess are getting firmer
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

So, anyone rented a car in Bali?

thinking of road tripping around the island fear n loathing kitty styles. I'm a good defensive driver here and have international lisence, but wondering if I am crazy? I want a jeep.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

had no idea immunisation shots were so exxy!! like $250 for a buch for china (about 5 each thing)

anywhere does this cheapish?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

they are all pretty standard in price i think.

you need $250 worth for china?! like what??

i reckon ive had everything ill need for Bali in the last two years of SE Asia trips but yes, fuck, another thing i need to check out.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

i think it's all pretty standard and definitely pricey.
I had $800 before coming to India.
TVMC on Little Bourke are excellent.
FoundationStepper

hep a + b (cheking if om OK for b)
typhoid
polio

maleria maybe if going to the south
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

ah yup, they can be expensive, specially as i think you need 3 for Hep A or B...

i got to my local semi dodgy doctor, his name is ZOLTAN VILAGOSH and when you google him, his career as a champion fencer comes up :lol:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Isn't he the director of Fencing Victoria?

I miss fencing, must start again.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i dunno, is he?

he is a very strange man.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

They usually are.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

FoundationStepper wrote:had no idea immunisation shots were so exxy!! like $250 for a buch for china (about 5 each thing)

anywhere does this cheapish?
I got $50 back on medicare, and then about $75 back on top from NIB

works out to be not too bad
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Anyone had any experience with those foreign currency bank-cards?

Not wanting to be completely shafted... apparently five dollar charge for each forex exchange using standard bank-card at foreign atms and visa debit is also liable to force me to bend over and accept unwanted charges.

Other pain is that I am being paid in AUD while I am living OS and will need to pay stupid amounts to convert to local currency.

Any way to lock in current exchange rates, or am I shafted with the AUD pay thing?
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Hmmm.

I have a US Social Security card and a Bank of America account.

Perhaps I should open an account with a Canadian bank.

Hmmmm.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

Any melbbeaters in San Francisco? I'm going there for a few months, gonna try and find work, and while I'm there would like to meet up some people who are into similar music.
retzie

Post by retzie »

C.I.A. wrote:Anyone had any experience with those foreign currency bank-cards?

Not wanting to be completely shafted... apparently five dollar charge for each forex exchange using standard bank-card at foreign atms and visa debit is also liable to force me to bend over and accept unwanted charges.

Other pain is that I am being paid in AUD while I am living OS and will need to pay stupid amounts to convert to local currency.

Any way to lock in current exchange rates, or am I shafted with the AUD pay thing?
If you open a Canadian bank account, you could do regular transfers using XE. Prolly be a pain in the arse having to do it every time you get paid (and mileage will vary according to exchange rate,) but it'll involve the least amount of cash heading toward your bank.

Another option would be to open an account with an international bank like HSBC. I'd say they have their fair share of fee-rapeage, but would (should?) have the convenience of accessing your AU account from overseas.
autumnleaves wrote:Any melbbeaters in San Francisco? I'm going there for a few months, gonna try and find work, and while I'm there would like to meet up some people who are into similar music.
What sorta music? I've found the breaks crews pretty friendly (unfortunately, I don't actually live there.)

Also, just to be nosey, d'you mean work for those few months, or longer term work? If it's the latter, be warned: the US job market is pretty brutal at the moment and if you need a visa, you might find yourself hard pressed to find a sponsor...
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

retzie wrote:What sorta music? I've found the breaks crews pretty friendly (unfortunately, I don't actually live there.)

Also, just to be nosey, d'you mean work for those few months, or longer term work? If it's the latter, be warned: the US job market is pretty brutal at the moment and if you need a visa, you might find yourself hard pressed to find a sponsor...
nosiness welcome :) I'm meaning the latter.. perhaps unfortunately considering your appraisal.. I was kinda hoping that things might be a bit more sorted than they were a couple of years ago, but perhaps not. I would need a sponsor, something in the non-profit sector. I heard that the south west was recovering a bit better than the rest of the country, though I know Cali is in debt up to the eyeballs. Got my fingers crossed.

music would be dnb mostly, but also into breaks and reggae. Do you know of any good nights/crews that I should keep an eye out for?
thanks
FoundationStepper

nmight want to ask on ozreggae a fair few people have done us trips
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Sigh... I was so close to buying an apartment but now that's not gonna happen so I've got a bit of cash up my sleeve and nothing to tie me down.

I was seriously considering the Paradise In Bali Festival but I would have been doing that by myself.... Then an old friend suggested I meet her (and a bunch of her friends who I don't know) in NZ in January. They're just gonna hire a van in Auckland and drive around for a couple of weeks. Think I'm gonna do it... Heard so much about outdoor drum'n'bass/dub/reggae festivals in NZ that I've always wanted to check one out but also keen on some hiking and cultural stuff too. Any tips about anything from van hire to places to visit would be appreciated.

I've got a wedding in Vanuatu to look forward to late next year!

On a slightly less exciting note, I'm going on an all-expenses paid 4 day trip to Wilsons Prom and Walhalla in September, to go hiking and then I'm getting paid to write about it!

Life is pretty good really...
deviant

Post by deviant »

manofunreal wrote:I've got a wedding in Vanuatu to look forward to late next year!
my house-mate mentioned something along those lines last night... :scratch:

mutual friends?