The Travel Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
manofunreal

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by manofunreal »

Wouldn't suprise me... Melbourne is like a small country town sometimes. The happy couple are Locky & Em if that helps?
spiral

Post by spiral »

off to london next week then copenhagen
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Copenhagen sounds awesome... Next week!? I'm jealous
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

:retzielikes:

Thanks Dr Retzie! Will compare Scotia bank and HSBC for rapage and pick the one that is a bit more gentle. Hoping for 'spooning after charge overload' service.
autumnleaves wrote:Any melbbeaters in San Francisco? I'm going there for a few months, gonna try and find work, and while I'm there would like to meet up some people who are into similar music.
:smt006

I'm doing some work in our Oakland office... heading there April/May of next year. Got some good contacts and club info. I'll share when I get around to remembering to ask :wink:

Yeah, work scene is pretty dry in the USA atm. It'll prolly get worse before it gets better... the US is in a deflationary debt spiral and the short-med term outlook is pretty FA1L.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

C.I.A. wrote:
autumnleaves wrote:Any melbbeaters in San Francisco? I'm going there for a few months, gonna try and find work, and while I'm there would like to meet up some people who are into similar music.
:smt006

I'm doing some work in our Oakland office... heading there April/May of next year. Got some good contacts and club info. I'll share when I get around to remembering to ask :wink:

Yeah, work scene is pretty dry in the USA atm. It'll prolly get worse before it gets better... the US is in a deflationary debt spiral and the short-med term outlook is pretty FA1L.
Awesome! If I'm lucky enough to be there in April/May, we should meet up :) And any contacts or club info you could pass on would be great! Please PM me when you get around to it. Thanks!
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

Well not much for us till 2012, we have decided to can all other OS travel plans and consolidate for one large trip away...

Portugal for Boom Festival, Amsterdam, Paris, Bristol, Wales, Brummie land July/August 2012

HELL YEAH
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Hell yeah is right... That sounds epic!
retzie

Post by retzie »

autumnleaves wrote:
retzie wrote:What sorta music? I've found the breaks crews pretty friendly (unfortunately, I don't actually live there.)

Also, just to be nosey, d'you mean work for those few months, or longer term work? If it's the latter, be warned: the US job market is pretty brutal at the moment and if you need a visa, you might find yourself hard pressed to find a sponsor...
nosiness welcome :) I'm meaning the latter.. perhaps unfortunately considering your appraisal.. I was kinda hoping that things might be a bit more sorted than they were a couple of years ago, but perhaps not. I would need a sponsor, something in the non-profit sector. I heard that the south west was recovering a bit better than the rest of the country, though I know Cali is in debt up to the eyeballs. Got my fingers crossed.

music would be dnb mostly, but also into breaks and reggae. Do you know of any good nights/crews that I should keep an eye out for?
thanks
Breaks crews: Space Cowboys and Seismic. Be prepared for the most overwhelming urge ever to punch people on the dance floor, though ;)

How much have you looked into the visa situation? It is not particularly straightforward and a sponsor will generally not be enough - the job will need to fit certain criteria, like requiring a degree (which you obviously need to have.) If you are Australian with a degree, an E-3 is a very tidy option (although be warned the non-refundable application fee has just gone up to $US390 Image ) If you've got questions, feel free to shoot me a PM!

As for the job market: if you are in a boutique kind of an area, all is not completely lost. The problems come when it is a job for which a huge number of Americans are qualified, so you're competing with a pool who don't have visa costs/paperwork. A trip over should give you a good idea how your industry is going, though.
C.I.A. wrote: :retzielikes:

Thanks Dr Retzie! Will compare Scotia bank and HSBC for rapage and pick the one that is a bit more gentle. Hoping for 'spooning after charge overload' service.
The one upside of my return is that a Herbie update is imminent!
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Seriously, can anyone here recommend somewhere naice to stay in Seminyak Bali for two nights for just me?

Has ANYONE here been to Bali?

ANYONE got tips for solo kitty, who may rent a jeep?
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

i have never been to Bali babe, but wil be awaiting on your report to determine if i ever will that is for sure!

Sorry honey
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

all good darling, ive been given all these leads and people to contact, and it seems as if once you move to Bali,
you dont care about the rest of the world, as i have not been getting any actual information, just random 'heeey' kinda replies. so maybe its just that awesome hehehehe
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

fukit, booked in here >>

http://www.expedia.com.au/Bali-Hotels-A ... iew&rm1=a1

looks naice.
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:Seriously, can anyone here recommend somewhere naice to stay in Seminyak Bali for two nights for just me?

Has ANYONE here been to Bali?

ANYONE got tips for solo kitty, who may rent a jeep?
youthful implants just came back from there... give him a call or something ;)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i tried to call him this morning, and sent him a text!

Alex hates me

:(
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

So I'm off to Rajasthan for a few weeks in September and am wondering if you lot have any recommendations. Plan at this stage is to head from Kolkata to Varanasi, then to Agra then in no particular order, Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur and maybe Mt Abu. Depends on how long it takes between places or how much we love somewhere I guess.

Would love to hear suggestions if you have them! :D
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

witty_pseudonym wrote:So I'm off to Rajasthan for a few weeks in September and am wondering if you lot have any recommendations. Plan at this stage is to head from Kolkata to Varanasi, then to Agra then in no particular order, Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur and maybe Mt Abu. Depends on how long it takes between places or how much we love somewhere I guess.

Well that sounds pretty darn good lady!

Lots of pictures please some desert camping in Rajasthan would ROCK!
retzie

Post by retzie »

To anyone planning a trip to the US on the Visa Waiver Program any time soon: from 8 September, an ESTA will cost $US14. It is currently free, so you might as well get one now if you have plans to travel (they are valid for two years.)
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

retzie wrote:To anyone planning a trip to the US on the Visa Waiver Program any time soon: from 8 September, an ESTA will cost $US14. It is currently free, so you might as well get one now if you have plans to travel (they are valid for two years.)
:retzielikes:

You saved us $30 AUD!

The US government need to tap any income stream that they can atm. Poor fools. They is fuqd.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

I saw on tv about this - apparently it is to fund a new national tourism department. No shit!

We are heading over end of October, and did ours a while back...
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

witty_pseudonym wrote:So I'm off to Rajasthan for a few weeks in September and am wondering if you lot have any recommendations. Plan at this stage is to head from Kolkata to Varanasi, then to Agra then in no particular order, Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur and maybe Mt Abu. Depends on how long it takes between places or how much we love somewhere I guess.

Bundi is a very cute little town, all blue!
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

So. I know I'm planning quite early here but well ya get that don't ya. Plus I'm wanting as much info as possible.
Hopefully going to vietnam in probably July next year.
Know NOTHING about the place really so not even sure where to START here.
Basically just even some basic pointers on what we should def check out, where to go etc etc.
Prob won't be a long time, maybe 2-3 weeks 3 if we're LUCKY really.
Yes I know thats not a very long time to spend somewhere like that but you get that.

So yeah would just love a bit of advice :D

fanks.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
quick

Post by quick »

Sociopathic wrote:So. I know I'm planning quite early here but well ya get that don't ya. Plus I'm wanting as much info as possible.
Hopefully going to vietnam in probably July next year.
Know NOTHING about the place really so not even sure where to START here.
Basically just even some basic pointers on what we should def check out, where to go etc etc.
Prob won't be a long time, maybe 2-3 weeks 3 if we're LUCKY really.
Yes I know thats not a very long time to spend somewhere like that but you get that.

So yeah would just love a bit of advice :D

fanks.
I spent 2 weeks there, was not long enough, but loved it and will be back. 3 will allow you to take a bus all the way from north to south or vice versa. I would start in Hanoi(fly into here), go to Ha long bay 3 days 2 nights, sappa mountains for 2 days 1 night if u only have 2 weeks, if 3 weeks stay an extra night there. Do these quickly so you have time to go to Hue and Nha Trang, cool little towns i want to go back to, and if u have 3 weeks check Da Nang as well. Then you will end in Ho Chi Min (fly home from here), which is crazy as well, do the tunnels tour, and if time a trip to the mekong delta. That should cover 2 or 3 weeks... :D
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Viet tips are:
  • Dalat, colder and lots of lush shit, flowers and fruit. Oh my god the fruit. Eat all the fruit. Stay at Dreams 2. You'll get lots of fruit for breakfast. I'm rating it best free breakfast in our entire round the world.
  • I would say do the Easyriders bike tour inland from Dalat, but it isn't the cheapest. It was the best thing we did though. Still many stars, real Vietnam, they get you the best food, etc.. etc.. Massive rave. Make sure you get a legit Easy Rider and not some con man. Do at least 3 days (say Da Lat to Nga Trang via the inland route. I can dig up a name and email if you want from our riders.
  • Hoi An is cool. Beers would be .32c AUD there at the moment. That's some cheap beer. We just wondered round, ate, drank and haggled over clothes we might end up not buying. Accommodation is crazy cheap here. Like 8USD a night with hot water, double bed and cable.
  • Hanoi is awesome. My favourite city. Good to wonder round and wonder what those crazy Viets are up to. Beer could currently be had for .24c AUD here. Make sure you go to get Cha Ca fish from Cha Ca La Vong. Best ever!!!!!!!
  • Halong bay is awesome, but you do feel a bit like it's a package tour and you are locked into a strict timetable (on a motherfucking boat etc.. etc..). Still have to do it.
  • Didn't do Sapa, should have -> go
My list of places you don't HAVE to go and you SHOULD NOT GO in Vietnam
  • Ho Chi Minh is OK, bust just OK. I would spend more time in Hanoi and less here if possible.
  • Nga Trang epic shithole liked by whiney Brit's because they only have shitty beaches over there. Has gay things like an "American Restaurant" where they import all the ingredients (including vegetables) from the US because they are a pack of retarded wierdos. AVOID!!!
  • Hue is OK. Missable I suppose. But OK. Don't get too excited about the CITADEL, it has a KFC in it. So, yeah. The old palace was cool. The BIGGEST FLAG IN VIETNAM not so much.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yes to Hanoi and Halong bay.

7 sleeps till i go! excited kitty.
gnat

Post by gnat »

just saw this bo, sorry been offline

seminyak is a good choice to be amongst it but not as ozzie yobbo scuz as kuta. fuck i hate kuta, it's horrible. place you booked looks nice! are you staying in ubud too?

make the effort to get out to la luuciola for lunch and then get a massage and pass out on the beach. best ever.

lombok will be cool. have a great time lady
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah im staying out of the way a bit, then straight to the islands..

yes to staying in ubud but think im gonna hire a jeep and drive around, have no plans really after island diving!

not into kuta, going to avoid at all costs, i aint going to party im going to get away from ze parties heeh
gnat

Post by gnat »

good plan. jeep would be cool. we hired a fella to drive for fuck all. going to uluwatu and la lucciola were my fave things i did there. highly recommend

ubud is lovely- plenty of coupley/ romantic type places to stay but not sure otherwise. we just went to the markets and ate there, didn't stay

have you checked trip advisor?
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yah could get a driver, but i like the idea of driving myself! (watch out balinese heheh)

do not want couply/romantic anything or i might die. cannot handle. needs complete removal of all coupley moments plzkthx.

i have read lots of reviews and they send me crazy tbh, so many bitchy people! hahaha
friday sent me the name of a place ill check out...
hoping that with my friendly demeanour I''l meet people who will tell me what i should go see/stay/do, seems to be the best way when travelling alone...

(apart from last tip off in cambodia that saw me at the child rapist guesthouse by boeng kak lake - fail!)
gnat

Post by gnat »

oh dear that's right. i'm glad i didn't send you there amongst my cambo tips!

agree trip advisor can do your head in- people whinge about the most bizarre things. i'm looking at thailand at the mo and people have given shit reviews based on internet connection and geckos in bathrooms. !! wtf. wankers

you'll have a ball jeeping about on your own tank girl. good times ahead
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

no no you told me to go to the nice place, which is went to at six am the next day and stayed there 3 times in that trip! while i ate what you told me to at the press club hahah gnatty travel tips FTMFW

i know! such whingers! on and on about mold in the rooms - you are in the TROPICS cunts!

can give you thailand tips if you like, swapsies!

xx
gnat

Post by gnat »

hahahah! fresko cafe and foreign correspondents ftfw! saviour after a harrowing day at the killing fields and s11

yes re tips. batter up. settled on charm churee at ko tao i think. it's rustic, not a hotel, private, has a swimmable beach (although no pool) and 30 min walk into sairee if we feel like changs withn the touristy throng... i like rustic. i like geckos too. they can hang in my outdoor bathroom. i'll even give em names

x
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i love geckos too, sounds lush babe!
deviant

Post by deviant »

Kitty is good at Thailand tips.... :D

There's geckos in EVERY bathroom in Thailand... they cute, and they make funny noises.
gnat

Post by gnat »

they shit everywhere but meh

looking at angthong marine park in thai south. anyone been? also some waterfalls 3 hours out of bangkok.. out past kanchanaburi.. look sick
quick

Post by quick »

My plans are ALWAYS changing, guess what i am doing now?
not right now, but my plans... from end of nov to end of feb i will be in Brasil, going for a mates wedding in rio thanks to a big tax refund.
So my plans now are prague in 2 weeks, then krakow, then back to berlin for marathon, not for me, but my friend from the UK is running in it... then oktoberfest, then croatia, then mid to late october, i will be back in Austria to go snowboarding... yay.
After that i go to holland, belgium, france and then fly out from london to rio. Then over the next 3 months i will travel brasil and maybe go back to colombia or check out argentina. after that i go back to UK and travel arond there and check out ireland.. then sep next year i will go home via India i think...
wow
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

jeesus quickster. is there anywhere left unexplored by the time you get back?
khazakstan perhaps?

2 sleeps to go, bring it.
quick

Post by quick »

need to do Africa still
elysium

Post by elysium »

Good bar / chilled place to hang in Barcelona??
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
almax

Post by almax »

hey Elly, i just spent 10 days in Barcelona, didn't really find that (but wasnt looking that hard)
But if you want good cheap burritos, go to a place dboy recommended me called Carabella, its right near the harbour across the road (little road) from the big ugly Roy Lichtenstein sculpture, its hard to spot as the name of the joint is only on the awnings and its sometimes covered up by the umbrellas.
I guess it could be seen as a chilled bar, but its more a street cafe, nice place to sit and have a feed and a drink or 2.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Go to Bar Mendizabal, it's a rad street cafe though not really a bar. It's outside and you can drink . I think it's on carrer del hospital, off La Rambla. Near the cat sanctuary.

Try the mango and jamon bocadillo... BEST!
Don't hate me for house
almax

Post by almax »

almax wrote:
But if you want good cheap burritos, go to a place dboy recommended me called Carabella, its right near the harbour across the road (little road) from the big ugly Roy Lichtenstein sculpture, its hard to spot as the name of the joint is only on the awnings and its sometimes covered up by the umbrellas.
I guess it could be seen as a chilled bar, but its more a street cafe, nice place to sit and have a feed and a drink or 2.

JAMESSSS wrote:Go to Bar Mendizabal, it's a rad street cafe though not really a bar. It's outside and you can drink . I think it's on carrer del hospital, off La Rambla. Near the cat sanctuary.

Try the mango and jamon bocadillo... BEST!
is this the place?if so the bocadillos there are awesome, a little expensive but the bread they use with raisins and walnuts in it is the bomb!

JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

That's it! Yeah not cheapest, but arguably the best.
Don't hate me for house
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

quick wrote:My plans are ALWAYS changing, guess what i am doing now?
not right now, but my plans... from end of nov to end of feb i will be in Brasil, going for a mates wedding in rio thanks to a big tax refund.
So my plans now are prague in 2 weeks, then krakow, then back to berlin for marathon, not for me, but my friend from the UK is running in it... then oktoberfest, then croatia, then mid to late october, i will be back in Austria to go snowboarding... yay.
After that i go to holland, belgium, france and then fly out from london to rio. Then over the next 3 months i will travel brasil and maybe go back to colombia or check out argentina. after that i go back to UK and travel arond there and check out ireland.. then sep next year i will go home via India i think...
wow
Make sure you do Salvador de Bahia (Brasil) on a Tuesday night! We stayed a week which was probably too long but we did get in 3 really good party nights in that time. Managed to get a cheap apartment all to ourselves, almost right on the Pellourinho too. Good times!
nic

Post by nic »

lolz al ate there 6 weeks back
prob sat next to you tbh
elysium

Post by elysium »

Thanks lads!! Pictures very helpful. Going to go out for a wander now and see if I can find these places :D
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
quick

Post by quick »

decisions decisions... do I go to Brasil for 3 months dec-feb or Melb for 2 months dec-jan

brasil pros - new country, amazing country, cheaper to get there and stay there, charlie :P
cons - language barrier, long ass dodgy bus rides to get around (like 24hrs), am currently a bit exhausted from traveling so may not make the most of it.

Melb pros - see fam and friends for xmas and NYE, RAINBOW SERPENT!!!, relax in awesome melb summer
cons - $550 more to fly there, more exe to stay there, will need to work a month or so more in UK to do other things i want, already been there (derr)

fuk, i don't know what to do..
retzie

Post by retzie »

^ When are you planning your indefinite return to Melbs? Unless we're talking a year or more, I say Brasil, no question. If you're only going to leave again for a few months, you'll just fuck yourself with kinda feeling like you're home again, but not really getting to make proper long-term arrangements.
quick wrote:cons - language barrier, long ass dodgy bus rides to get around (like 24hrs), am currently a bit exhausted from traveling so may not make the most of it.
Yer, that'd be any travel :P. I understand completely being a bit over the effort of travel, but there are ways of setting yourself up so it's a bit less painful. You don't have to bounce around a country to make the most of being there. Just setting up digs and treating it like home opens you up to a whole other side of a place. Then again, maybe you are a party-only traveller :?:
quick wrote:relax in awesome melb summer
Erm, you know it's going to be summer in Brasil too?
quick

Post by quick »

i will be back in Melb indefinitely around dec 2012... I have been sitting still here in Europe, no bouncing... been in berlin 7 weeks now and only 3 other countries in 3 months total, so i would do the same in Brasil but I think you need to travel more over there cos its less likely i will be back... but if i dont go now then i will most likely still go once and will probably have more effort to travel the place proppa like. Dunno, it does seem lazy to go back to Melb, but the thought of long bus rides and language barriers make me so tired already :P
retzie

Post by retzie »

If you're going to be out of Melbs for another 2 years, then yeah, I'd definitely think about doing the trip home. Apart from getting to see your peeps, it might help remind you of what you get out of travelling (or, alternatively, remind you how much of a pain in the arse travel can be...) Either way, the middle of a 4(?) year trip ain't a bad time for a little dose of reality.
quick

Post by quick »

whoops, i meant dec 2011, end of next year... will be a 28 or so month trip... but still have a good point, ta :)