Health

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
witty_pseudonym

Re: Health

Post by witty_pseudonym »

:shock:

i go back to the vod, lime and sodey i think.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

deviant wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:
deviant wrote:
cider is about 250 for a whole pint afaik
so you could have 4 pints a day as long as you dont eat anything else at all?

sounds like a pretty sensible diet?
4 pints = 1000cal...

isn't 2000 about a sensible daily intake???

I know shit-all about this stuff tbh... doesn't really effect me lol
I agree, I think calorie counting is a massive waste of time tbh.
Last edited by youthful_implants on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Direkt wrote:alcohol still has calories - it's just fermented sugar. but yeah, vodka, lime and soda is about as lean as you can get.
i still like the wine buzz though.

but yeah, since being a gym person i only really drink vodka soda lime.

no matter how much you exercise, 70% of weightloss is diet.
youthful_implants

ghetto kitty wrote:
Direkt wrote:alcohol still has calories - it's just fermented sugar. but yeah, vodka, lime and soda is about as lean as you can get.
i still like the wine buzz though.

but yeah, since being a gym person i only really drink vodka soda lime.

no matter how much you exercise, 70% of weightloss is diet.
you sure about that?
Strontium Music

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

that's what ive been researching/told by trainers yes.
youthful_implants

my plan to eat and drink exactly what I always have, exercise and lose weight is working though.

I think it depends on the frequency of the exercise and what you're doing tbh....

If you burn more calories than you eat, no matter what you eat, then you're going to lose weight.
Last edited by youthful_implants on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strontium Music

huge
old boy

Post by huge »

im with the whole diet thing. i dont really exercise and eat much better than i did a few years ago. lost over 10kg without trying pretty quickly.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

That sounds very dubious to me Bo.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

huge wrote:i dont really exercise
don't you cycle every day??
quick

Post by quick »

thats what i was thinking
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

yer but that's nowhere near as much as someone who goes to the gym or whatever. not like i really do it as a workout!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

JAMESSSS wrote:That sounds very dubious to me Bo.
well as far as i understand it, once you get to a certain level of fitness (which i am)
working out more and more is not going to shift those last 5 kilos, its all diet.

when you have 40 kilos to lose, then yes, doing anything to burn calories is going to shed kilos quickly.
If you burn more calories than you eat, no matter what you eat, then you're going to lose weight.
basically, but not a hard and fast rule. depends what kind of working out you are doing as in , cardio or strength training, and what kind of calories you are consuming, as in, proteins vs fats etc.

also dont forget (mrj im looking at you!)
that when you work out, you often put on muscle, which weighs more than fat, so sometimes you are not losing kilos but you are losing inches. scales are pretty much evil but measuring tapes make you feel good.

mrj you arent a chubby guy by any stretch, so you are getting fitter and gaining muscle- thats all good!
gnat

Post by gnat »

i reckon bo is right re it being 70% diet. that's what i have also been told

dan, yeh a pint of cider is 250 cals- pretty much how it is ordered yeh? none of my mates get a pot of cider.

bloody wine is killer. 2 glasses a night 400cals. why does it taste soooo good?

females should have 1200 cals a day max, males 1500
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
youthful_implants

ghetto kitty wrote:
basically, but not a hard and fast rule. depends what kind of working out you are doing as in , cardio or strength training, and what kind of calories you are consuming, as in, proteins vs fats etc.

also dont forget that when you work out, you often put on muscle, which weighs more than fat, so sometimes you are not losing kilos but you are losing inches. scales are pretty much evil but measuring tapes make you feel good.
oh yeah I hadn't thought of that.
Strontium Music

youthful_implants

gnat wrote:
females should have 1200 cals a day max, males 1500
thats like 4 pints and a cheeseburger.
Strontium Music

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i absolutely do not calorie count.

life is too short! tried iphone apps - retarded.

i just try and limit all the bad shit - processed anything, refined carbs, sugar, etc
and eat more - green vegies, lean meat, rice/wholegrains.
Omoplata

Post by Omoplata »

Bo is right, the last bit of weight will always come down to diet.
It's rare to see a truly fit person who lives on fish & chips and coke. (some rare lucky people can get away with it in their prime - teens to late 20's - when the metabolism is still running fast naturally - i actually used to be one of these people - not any more)

It's easy to knock off those primary excess kilo's with a good exercise regime, but finally getting rid of that deep-set abdominal/arse fat comes down to diet - though some dedication to exercise definately always helps too. You want a good mix of the both to maintain both your looks, and your health. Too much exercise, you get tired and drawn. Too much diet, you look like you have done time at Auschwitz. Yet, I really think it's diet that makes the final difference.

I cut weight for sport all the time, as what I compete in depends on my weight. During this time I count all calories - and always try to burn off more than I put in (as also someone mentioned above). Also work as a PT and coach. So I deal with fatties all the time - and I turn them into ripped powerhouses - no matter how much they bitch and wobble at first. Though I do agree - counting calories every day of your life is tiresome. I would never even think about it during a 'non-comp' time.

I can let my diet slip while training hard, and get a bit of fat happening (proof that training hard is not the be all and end all). Though, two weeks after starting a weight cut, training hard, while living on vegetables, wheatgrass and tuna, I develop a 12 pack, and muscles seem to just define out of nowhere - there's some more proof about dieting, and getting that 'final' result.

Though exercise is a big part of the puzzle, diet is the key to taking looking good, or taking 'ok' to 'fit as fuck' imo.
Last edited by Omoplata on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Lets settle the score, with rhythmic metaphor.'
deviant

Post by deviant »

huge wrote:not like i really do it as a workout!
it's still exercise all the same
aroes

Post by aroes »

i also disagree re: the 70% thing

just exercise harder tbh

agree bo that working out more and more is just gonna leave you on a plateau, but you should up the intensity

i eat pretty well, but also my fair share of rubbish, plus i smash bare piss

ride everywhere i go though so constantly exercising, add to that an epic ride once a week or so

practically never gain weight, and i have sexy legs :teef:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

wrong.

:P
aroes

Post by aroes »

lol

also you smoke

give em the boot and your aerobic capacity will increase massively, enabling you to smash out way more intense work outs
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i dont think you have any idea the intensity of what im doing dude.

but bike riding is only one muscle group.

im waiting for the only actual athlete amongst us to post in here and back me up.

70% diet, 30% exercise to lose FAT.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I've always been curious about people that say things are one muscle group.

Surely energy is energy?
Don't hate me for house
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Come to think of it how can you even split something like this 70 30?

How does that even work?
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:i dont think you have any idea the intensity of what im doing dude.
he's not saying he does... he's just saying that you would be able to exercisae more intensly if you didn't smoke.... pretty true tbh
youthful_implants

deviant wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:i dont think you have any idea the intensity of what im doing dude.
he's not saying he does... he's just saying that you would be able to exercisae more intensly if you didn't smoke.... pretty true tbh
for sure. smoking is massively counter-productive in that respect.
Strontium Music

Omoplata

Post by Omoplata »

I'd go with the 70% to 30% ratio, for sure.
Maybe give or take 10-20% depending on the individual, here or there. But what we eat is all important, and exercise comes in second IMO.
'Lets settle the score, with rhythmic metaphor.'
aroes

Post by aroes »

but bike riding is only one muscle group.

im waiting for the only actual athlete amongst us to post in here and back me up.

70% diet, 30% exercise to lose FAT.
I'm not trying to argue with you. Like dan said, I don't purport to know what kind of exercise you do or how hard you do it. I could be wrong, but TBH I think the 70/30 thing is a load of crap

And who is this 'real athlete' you speak of? I rode well over 100km yesterday at a fairly high intensity. I may not look like Usain Bolt or Lance Armstrong, but I reckon that qualifies as an athletic effort in anyone's language

Basically, I'm just against the whole PT/regime thing full stop. Unless you're trying to get some kind of competitive edge, I just don't see the point. My philosophy is, find a form of exercise that you a) enjoy doing and b) isn't detrimental to your health or any chronic injury you might have. Do it often and do it hard. And don't fill your body with rubbish

But hey, what works for me doesn't necessarily work for everyone else. Just my 2c that's all
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I tried to Google this 70 / 30 thing, but all I found was an article that said treadmills give me cancer.

CANCER!!!
Don't hate me for house
youthful_implants

JAMESSSS wrote:I tried to Google this 70 / 30 thing, but all I found was an article that said treadmills give me cancer.

CANCER!!!
:lol: noooooooooooo
Strontium Music

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I don't know about specific proportions, but yeah - definitely diet is more important than exercise. Without a doubt.

It takes like a 40min run to wear off a can of soft drink... don't drink the soft drink, you don't need the run (talking about strictly weight issues here, not general health and well being).

Combine the two on you're on a winning formula.

Cycling does not just use one muscle group. There's probably four groups in the legs alone that it uses.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Any thoughts on treadmill cancer?

It's been rated as one of the most topical issues of our time.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

my treadmill had a tumor once.,.... terrible thing
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

aroes wrote: Basically, I'm just against the whole PT/regime thing full stop. Unless you're trying to get some kind of competitive edge, I just don't see the point. My philosophy is, find a form of exercise that you a) enjoy doing and b) isn't detrimental to your health or any chronic injury you might have. Do it often and do it hard. And don't fill your body with rubbish
i do actually love it. yoshi and i get to hang out in the park, its outside, and having a PT pushes me harder each time, harder than i would on my own.
i do plenty of the hiking, swimming and other stuf i love but none of that is quite enough. its all about what fits into your lifestyle, and how much you are willing to compromise other things you love, be they eating cheese or sitting on your arse reading a book.
same with diets, a balanced diet you can actually maintain is going to be better in the long run than calories counting obessively, or wistfully thinking of burritos you are 'not allowed' every night.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I couldn't justify the expense of a P/T. I spend enough on gym membership and exercise clothing as it is tbh
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:lol: 'exercise clothing" ? like running shoes every six months?

my PT costs me $60 per week for 2 sessions. I'd sooner give up my gym membership & snazzy threads than an actual investment in challenging myself weekly.

I'm trying a new diet, have been told dairy is no good for me so the love affair with cheese (5 kinds in my fridge at all times) is over.
its goat cheese and smatterings of parmesan from now on.
I'm also off all white carbs, rice, bread, pasta, everything. Eating a lot more legumes and vegies. About to try out cauliflower mash as potato substitute. see how it goes, first two days have been easy. apart from last nights midnight snack attack which i merely ignored.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

ghetto kitty wrote::lol: 'exercise clothing" ? like running shoes every six months?
No. More like the few hundred I've dropped on cycling gear in the past month or so. 3 x bibs, 3 x tops, long sleeve top, gloves, booties, sleeves, leg warmers, hats, glasses, undershirts..... those clothes. As well as running clothes and shoes, and gym clothes that have been purchased in the past year or so. Would be close to a grand, if not more. Obviously I won't need to buy all that gear too often, but it does take a toll on the old back account - and I'm not even mentioning actual equipment.

I'll need a few more things when the weather reaches true winter as well.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Sure, perhaps you need all that to ride your bike (which i kind of doubt unless you are training 6 days a week for an event) but I would rather invest $1k in 4 months of personalized attention twice a week from a one on one expert who tracks what I'm doing so all i have to do is push myself. i train to the point of absolute exhaustion with him, when i absolutely cannot do even one more rep, and i just dont do that when i train on my own.

i have two gym outfits and a hoody. a bottle of water from the fridge & good to go. bought a heart rate monitor but it shits me so hardly use it.

different strokes. :lol:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I have three sets of clothes, I ride three times a week - nice to wear clean clothes imo.

I need those clothes to ride. Riding over 40-60kms a day on a road bike isn't exactly kind to a gentleman's "saddle". The padding helps. And it's nice to not be numb with cold either...
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i rode 25km on friday in shorts and a tshirt. my arse is fine huhu. get a better seat!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

60 v 25... almost triple the distance isn't it? (edit: well, more than double at least) :wink:

Maybe you have balls of steel mate, but I'll take a padded chamois thanks.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

good points above.

Padding = must on the bike.

I rode without it to get to the BRW triathlon last week and was hating it. saying that - I'm due for a new saddle, but would still take padding every day of the week.

Diet is hugely important - GK if you want to get good results from your two sessions a week diet is essential - get away from all carbs, processed foods and sugars, grains, all dairy, oils anything starchy, BOOZE & cigarettes.

I look at it this way -

Weight loss - Diet has more of an impact than your training
Fitness - training combined with good diet

Booze is my biggest vice - weekend comes and it's beer a thon until Monday. Super Carbs = no good for the Feiganequator.

Either way - everyone commenting is doing something positive for their body = win.

except Dan - he is riding a fixie.

:teef:
youthful_implants

Direkt wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote::lol: 'exercise clothing" ? like running shoes every six months?
No. More like the few hundred I've dropped on cycling gear in the past month or so. 3 x bibs, 3 x tops, long sleeve top, gloves, booties, sleeves, leg warmers, hats, glasses, undershirts..... those clothes. As well as running clothes and shoes, and gym clothes that have been purchased in the past year or so. Would be close to a grand, if not more. Obviously I won't need to buy all that gear too often, but it does take a toll on the old back account - and I'm not even mentioning actual equipment.

I never realised looking like a wanker was so expensive.

J/K mate :teefnilly: :brohugs:
Strontium Music

youthful_implants

I just joined the local Gym and I fuckin love it!
Strontium Music

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

youthful_implants wrote:
Direkt wrote:

I never realised looking like a wanker was so expensive.

J/K mate :teefnilly: :brohugs:
ouch
youthful_implants

dont be like that!!! :(

I happen to love cycling! It was a lame jok... sorry.
Strontium Music

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Nah, it was a pretty good joke actually :wink:
youthful_implants

Direkt wrote:Nah, it was a pretty good joke actually :wink:
:phew:
Strontium Music

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Feigan wrote: Diet is hugely important - GK if you want to get good results from your two sessions a week diet is essential - get away from all carbs, processed foods and sugars, grains, all dairy, oils anything starchy, BOOZE & cigarettes.
2 Pt sessions and 2 at the gym! and yes, all that is pretty much what im doing, but limiting booze and smoking cos i wanna.

so there.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

2 + 2 is awesome.

nice work