the news thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

the news thread

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

is this a good idea?? no? yes? yes?

i'll start

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/taliba ... 95254.html
A senior military commander of the Taliban says the Taliban will give 100 kilograms of gold as a reward to anyone who killed the person responsible for "blasphemous" cartoons in Denmark, Afghan Islamic Press has reported.
outstanding.
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

so sick of hearing about those damn cartoons.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/p ... ing03.html
Currently, the Defense Department says it is spending about $4.5 billion a month on the conflict in Iraq, or about $100,000 per minute.
that doesn't include any reconstruction or body armour either, just bombs, guns and helliburton.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

fooken hell
www.dubstep.com.au
Fents

Post by Fents »

Oh Oh Oh can i be the weather man!?!?!?!

And now heres todays weather and a 3 day forecast :

Thursday
Rain clearing eastern suburbs this morning. A few showers this afternoon and a
fresh southwesterly wind.

Max 22

Suburban Temperatures

Laverton Max 22 Yarra Glen Max 23
Tullamarine Max 22 Mt Dandenong Max 19
Watsonia Max 22 Scoresby Max 22
Frankston Max 21 Geelong Max 21

UV Index 9 [very high]

Friday
A shower or two clearing. Min 14 Max 23

Saturday
Fine. Min 13 Max 23

Sunday
Fine day, late change. Min 13 Max 27

That is all :lol:
dust

Post by dust »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/ ... 98895.html

I really hope this passes. It should do, which would mean that decisions won't be made by politicians who still can't separate religion and state!

Incidcentily my mum was very involved in getting this bill to the table and made several presentations to the council. She said it was scary being harassed by all the pro-life folk.

Barnaby Joyce says the pill is a 'murder' pill.

I love that guy.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Stray

Post by Stray »

system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Gratuitous promotion. Down 5 points.
lynt

Post by lynt »

system wrote:
Gratuitous promotion. Down 5 points.
:lol:
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

pimpwar.com, MB stylee. :)
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

@dust: crikey hits the nail on the head.
Crikey wrote:"I've never been one," the Prime Minister said yesterday, "who believes it makes much sense to devote an enormous amount of time and energy and commitment of one's life to win election to parliament, and to the high office of decision-making, and then to spend the next stage of life busily handing over decisions to people who are not accountable." He was explaining why he believes Cabinet should maintain personal control over dispensing the RU486 abortion pill – and yet, when it comes to "busily handing over decisions to people who are not accountable," that's precisely what the Prime Minister and his most senior colleagues did when it came to the "decision-making" involved in paying apparently illegal bribes of $300 million to the regime of a country he was about to invade...

Look at it this way. In the most recent survey of countries and companies, Australia is ranked as the world's tenth largest economic entity, capitalised at $991 billion. Its CEO, John Howard, says he believes in the concept of hands-on decision-making, even to the extent of deciding which pills its shareholders should consume. Yet when it comes to paying the world's biggest bribes to one of the world's most obnoxious dictators, Australia's CEO chose to delegate that decision to people he says are "not accountable."

Or look at it this way. The micro-managing CEO who is opposed to handing over decisions to unaccountable managers when it comes to an abortion pill was prepared to delegate management responsibility for the reputational risk involved in the payment of bribes, and didn't even have a warning system in place in his $991 billion empire to alert him to a cock-up of that importance. Now we know.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Stephen Mayne does such good work. such a shame that he had to lose his house and had to sell the business..
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

nic

Post by nic »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 20501.html

BAD LUCK TONY.
Take that back to your church and sit on it!!!

Your dated awful legacy is coming to an end Brian Harradine. Dont choke on that altar boy now.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/us- ... 94033.html
THE US has entered the row over the Muhammad cartoons, accusing Syria and Iran of stoking up protests against the caricatures to suit their own ends.

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said she had no doubt Iran and Syria had gone out of their way to inflame sentiments and have used it for their own purposes. "The world ought to call them on it," she said.
lol.
gnat

Post by gnat »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11257662/

Yeah I know when the whole world was losing it for Crazy Frog, I was right on that bandwagon.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

us vice president elmer fudd accidentally shoots man while hunting:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... OE=NEWISVA
mrj

Post by mrj »

valuetime wrote:us vice president elmer fudd accidentally shoots man while hunting:

:shock:

:smt044
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

ABIX Summary: Demand & Supply

The way Australian households use electricity may change under a national initiative. All governments in Australia have agreed to a national rollout of "smart" electricity meters from 2007. Smart meters record electricity use at different times of the day, the peak, shoulder and off-peak times. The smart consumer could choose to use many appliances at off-peak times, to pay less for electricity. Experts agreed that high-demand households would pay more for electricity. There are several types of metering systems being tested. The tests indicate that the average user, if choosing carefully when to use certain appliances, could save up to 10% a year on electricity bills

ABIX Summary: Competition & Competition Policy

The Australian Government wants to increase its powers regarding appointments to the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC). The proposed change would give the Government two votes when appointing new commissioners to the ACCC, while the states and territories would each have one vote. The Federal Government would also have a casting vote. The reforms would reduce the influence of the states and territories regarding the composition of the ACCC. Several states were able to use their power of veto to block the appointment of Graeme Samuel as ACCC chairman in 2003, although the Federal Government eventually secured majority support
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
witty_pseudonym

system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

I was listening to her being interviewed by Alan Jones this morning, on the way into work. good to see the right to lifers working their way back in with a new angle.

breed or be enslaved, people! :roll:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

dust wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/ ... 98895.html

I really hope this passes. It should do, which would mean that decisions won't be made by politicians who still can't separate religion and state!

Incidcentily my mum was very involved in getting this bill to the table and made several presentations to the council. She said it was scary being harassed by all the pro-life folk.

Barnaby Joyce says the pill is a 'murder' pill.

I love that guy.
Pro-lifers are fucking scum. Yes that's generalizing, but I don't give a shit.... they all need to choke.

What does your ma do Georgia?
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

i read that article twice earlier today and i still don't get it. what do they mean by 'muslim nation'? there's NOTHING at all in the article that talks about muslims.

sadly, conflating the abortion-pill debate with old-fashioned middle-class suburban racism is like shooting fish in a barrel. fucks me off.

re, pro-lifers. "life begins at conception and ends at birth."

edit: ok, i finally found what the article was missing. now i get it:
The Australian Muslim population, while relatively small, has been increasing steadily with immigration. More significantly, birth rates among Muslims, while starting to show a slight decline worldwide, are still significantly higher than non-Muslims. Although Muslims make up only 1.12% of the Australian population, the demographic shift is tilting sharply away from Australia remaining even a nominally Christian country.

High rates of birth among Muslims also mean that while the general population of Australia is aging, Muslims are starting to make up significantly higher proportions of youth. The 1996 census showed of Muslims in New South Wales, 52.5% were under 25 years of age. In the general population of New South Wales, only 35.6% were under 25.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Donna Vale wrote:every sperm is sacred!
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

valuetime wrote:us vice president elmer fudd accidentally shoots man while hunting:

The wine shop on Errol St put it best: "Tired of killing by proxy, Cheney decides to bag himself a human."
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

so glad the other hunter didn't die and we can all laugh about this (although seeing cheney face jail would be even better).

Rob M

Post by Rob M »

system wrote:
Donna Vale wrote:every sperm is sacred!
lol quoting monty?
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Vale appears to have been, yeah.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

kinda sad.

my belief is that woman have a choice, and must have a choice. your body is your own temple.
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Rob M wrote:kinda sad.

my belief is that woman have a choice, and must have a choice. your body is your own temple.
I agree. People have their reasons, I really can't stand how people bark at other people on how to live their lives and try to make decisions for them. :roll:
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Donna Vale wrote:that's 5 million potential Australians we won't have here
So is she saying the Muslims aren't real Australians?

Could she stir the shit any more? Fucking redneck.
mecka

Post by mecka »

in breaking news... .

:tittybite:
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Special Hegg wrote:

yeh, we are ALL terrorists for aborting a potential population growth that Australia severely needs; so that our young fetis' can grow into big strong fighting machines and save people like Donna Vale from the tyranny of people who don't believe in God. People who don't believe in God are by default Muslim.

She is a spiritual warrior. And all females who take the RU486 are dark sided, astrology-researchin' hippy googlers. Australia is her kingdom of heaven.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

man, i love the daily show:

jon: this is a very unfortunate situation. how is the vice president handling it?

rob: jon, tonight the vice president is standing by his decision to shoot harry whittington. now according to the best intelligence available, there were quail hidden in the brush. everyone believed at the time there were quail in the brush. and while the quail turned out to be a 78 year old man, even knowing that today, mr cheney insists he still would've shot him in the face. he believes the world is a better place for him spreading buckshot throughout the entire region of mr whittington's face.
dust

Post by dust »

Heard on the radio this morning that the State Government is about to approve the planned construction on Smith St.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

what, not that fucking mall where video busters and go-lo is?
dust

Post by dust »

Yeah. They've scaled it down a fair bit, but its going ahead!
witty_pseudonym

hooray another mall!
mrj

Post by mrj »

valuetime wrote:what, not that fucking mall where video busters and go-lo is?
NO!

NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Video Busters rocks. If that goes then all we will have is that farken video ezy with their disc inspecting antics and ugly ugly staff. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Save Video Busters. Save Video Busters.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

www.dubstep.com.au
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

yeah and how good is video busters!? man that joint is BIG and CHEAP!

copied many a DVD from them! :teef:
www.dubstep.com.au
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Krispy Kreme's is 100% confirmed to open at Westfield Fountain Gate Shopping Centre in the near future. How do I know this? I just received an invitation to their launch party!!

Currently considering CBD locations as we speak...
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
Stray

Post by Stray »

Independent World Television is building the world's first independent global non-profit news network.
Online and on TV, IWT will deliver independent news and real debate -- without funding from governments, corporations or advertising.

I hope this takes off and doesn't get shut down by political/corporate pressure.
calstro

Post by calstro »

Special Hegg wrote:

Muslims are the new Asians. :P
Stray

Post by Stray »

Stray wrote:Independent World Television is building the world's first independent global non-profit news network.
Online and on TV, IWT will deliver independent news and real debate -- without funding from governments, corporations or advertising.

I hope this takes off and doesn't get shut down by political/corporate pressure.
Why I think this needs to work
The Smirking Chimp wrote:The Pentagon has developed a comprehensive strategy for taking over the internet and controlling the free flow of information. The plan appears in a recently declassified document, "The Information Operations Roadmap", which was provided under the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) and revealed in an article by the BBC.

The Pentagon sees the internet in terms of a military adversary that poses a vital threat to its stated mission of global domination. This explains the confrontational language in the document which speaks of "fighting the net"; implying that the internet is the equivalent of "an enemy weapons system."

The Defense Dept. places a high-value on controlling information. The new program illustrates their determination to establish the parameters of free speech.

The Pentagon sees information as essential in manipulating public perceptions and, thus, a crucial tool in eliciting support for unpopular policies. The recent revelations of the military placing propaganda in the foreign press demonstrate the importance that is given to co-opting public opinion.
http://www.smirkingchimp.com/article.ph ... ed&order=0
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

great_magnet wrote:Krispy Kreme's is 100% confirmed to open at Westfield Fountain Gate Shopping Centre in the near future. How do I know this? I just received an invitation to their launch party!!

Currently considering CBD locations as we speak...
Is it Great_Magnet +1.

I'll be your best friend :D
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
dust

Post by dust »

Stray wrote:
Stray wrote:Independent World Television is building the world's first independent global non-profit news network.

Why I think this needs to work
The Smirking Chimp wrote:The Pentagon has developed a comprehensive strategy for taking over the internet and controlling the free flow of information. The plan appears in a recently declassified document, "The Information Operations Roadmap", which was provided under the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) and revealed in an article by the BBC.

The Pentagon sees the internet in terms of a military adversary that poses a vital threat to its stated mission of global domination. This explains the confrontational language in the document which speaks of "fighting the net"; implying that the internet is the equivalent of "an enemy weapons system."

The Defense Dept. places a high-value on controlling information. The new program illustrates their determination to establish the parameters of free speech.

The Pentagon sees information as essential in manipulating public perceptions and, thus, a crucial tool in eliciting support for unpopular policies. The recent revelations of the military placing propaganda in the foreign press demonstrate the importance that is given to co-opting public opinion.
http://www.smirkingchimp.com/article.ph ... ed&order=0
Thanks for the links on this. I've just been reading up and its a brilliant and incredibly important initiative and I have just donated some money to them and sent the info to my friends.

I urge everyone on here to go to the site and have a good read. There is NOTHING more important than independent media at this present time, both politically and socially.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

^^^ Big Brother pieces of shit Pentagon bastard cunts ^^^
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive