The Movie/Film/DVD thread...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
apophenian

Re: The Movie/Film/DVD thread...

Post by apophenian »

Just saw The greatest movie ever sold - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_gre ... ever_sold/

Great doco by Morgan Spurlock, creator of Super size me about product placement in media (including his film).
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

Watched The Fall on the weekend. z0mg feast for ze eyes. Adored it.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Awesome, That was directed by Tarsem Singh who directed "The Cell" wasn't it?
witty_pseudonym

T'was indeed. Filmed in the palaces and forts of Rajasthan, most of which I've been to which made doubly awesome!
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

all your b movie needs in one movie, Ruetger Hauer starring in a movie called "Hobo with a shotgun":

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/magn ... hashotgun/
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Hatsudai wrote:all your b movie needs in one movie, Ruetger Hauer starring in a movie called "Hobo with a shotgun":

I saw the trailer for that months ago, really hope it comes out soon because it looks either really terrible or really awesome
quick

Post by quick »

or both
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Hatsudai wrote:all your b movie needs in one movie, Ruetger Hauer starring in a movie called "Hobo with a shotgun":

Finally watched this last night. It was awesome. It's basically a homage to the Troma films of the 80's (Toxic Avenger, Surf Nazis Must Die, etc.). Really cheesy, over-the-top and ridiculous, but totally faithful to the genre.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

The other week i watched Never Let Me Go. Good film but hella sad crikey. So after that I watched Clint Eastwood directorial debut Play Misty For Me. It had a very young good looking Jessica Walter in it which was a bit weird. Also had some strange walking scenes in there but pretty cool flick.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

so ummm like i was like way hungover and like watched Eat Love Pray....ummm yeah

actually was okay in terms of not needing my brain, and looking and pretty pictures of places. i now want to go live in Rome and Bali lolz
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Lizkins wrote:so ummm like i was like way hungover and like watched Eat Love Pray....ummm yeah

actually was okay in terms of not needing my brain, and looking and pretty pictures of places. i now want to go live in Rome and Bali lolz
Like hungover or actually hungover? Did you watch it, or do something that was like watching it?

:teef:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Hardy wrote:
Lizkins wrote:so ummm like i was like way hungover and like watched Eat Love Pray....ummm yeah

Like hungover or actually hungover? Did you watch it, or do something that was like watching it?

kinda like the slap upside head you'll be getting when i see you on the weekend

:P
click here fo fotos
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Lizkins wrote:
Hardy wrote:

kinda like the slap upside head you'll be getting when i see you on the weekend

:P
Like a slap? Or an actual slap?
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

like, it will be like a totes surprise
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hahahah i did the same on monday....and i hate julia.

but i loved the book...the movie was okays for brain dead watchings..

still highly reccomend the book..
mrj

Post by mrj »

watched two classic films this weekend

The Deer Hunter

Stellar cast including Robert De Niro, Meryl Streep and Christopher Walken. Won best picture and best supporting actor
for Walken, Streep and De Niro were nominated but didn't win.

Its a pretty brutal look at the vietnam war (the effect at both home and there), and generally a pretty brutal film. Walken is so young in this I was startled. The whole film has a really authentic feel, and in reading up on it it seems that realism was an over riding concern for both the director (Michael Climo) and De Niro (who I have decided might actually be insane). In perusing the trivia for this movie it seems there was a fair bit of stuff that was just ad libbed (including a lot of Streep's lines) or footage that was accidental that was used because it was very real - including some botched stunts where people very nearly got seriously hurt not the least of which is a helicopter bit with De Niro that looked massively dangerous.

So overall a brilliant cast in their younger days tackling an extremely controversial subject (at the time) and risking their bodies to do so properly. The result is a superb and quite harrowing film, and I liked it a lot. Only downside was the sound, I would have expected much better given it was 1978 and they apparently spent heaps of timing mixing the audio down.

For fun, try and count how many times Axel says "Fucking A". It seems to be his only line but says it something like 20 times.

The Godfather Part I

Also cleaned up at the academy awards including Best Picture and Best Actor for Marlon Brando, with nominations for best supporting actor for Pacino, Duvaal and Caan.

I wondered why I've never seen this and to be honest I don't think I've ever seen it played on TV, but I think I worked out why. ITS SO LONG - 3 hours. Having said that I found it to be a great flick, and can see why it has become a classic. Pacino is so young in this I didn't realise it was him until about half an hour, but I think as the movie went on his face got a bit thinner and I recognised him after that. I did however recognise Robert Duval and Marlon Brando. Brando is great in this but I found him a little comical, although that may be because his performance and character in this movie have been spoofed so many times since it was made, my fave being by Tim Brooke Taylor in the goodies gangster episode. Brando's bloody hard to understand at times too.

Anyways, it didn't feel like 3 hours, and its a great movie and plenty quotable. One of those movies that you just have to see if you haven't already. What also caught my eye was the head of John Cazale who also starred in ....drum roll......The Deer Hunter. The Deer Hunter was actually his last film as he died of cancer afterwards. The director on The Deer Hunter - Michael Climo - actually was the only member of the cast or crew who knew of his cancer and kept it a secret as he believed the studio would try to replace John if they knew he was sick.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

"how i ended this summer". slow, but mesmerising. broody soundtrack as well.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
mrj

Post by mrj »

Watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 last night.

Pretty far fetched imo, I cmon mean a ginger kid with 2 friends?, as if!!
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

saw Thor with mecka yesterday, was fuckin radness! characters were great, story was great, acting was great, the worlds created were fricken cool. want to see again, best movie i have seen in ages! well impressed!
click here fo fotos
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

watched The Fall and Megamind on the weekend. Loved both! The Fall was brilliantly cast and story and cinematography (ZOMG!!!), just fell in love with it. Megamind had the lolz for sure, story line was nothing amazing but the cast was great and was funny, twus good
click here fo fotos
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

Lizkins wrote:saw Thor with mecka yesterday, was fuckin radness! characters were great, story was great, acting was great, the worlds created were fricken cool. want to see again, best movie i have seen in ages! well impressed!
nice. want to see. :fire:
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Dooo eeett!!! its goodness
click here fo fotos
mecka

Post by mecka »

Films I have seen lately:

Bridesmaids. Piss funny. Seriously, one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I can't recall the last time I laughed for two hours straight.

Limitless. Solid film. Few holes here and there but well acted, striking visual effects and neat twists.

Hall Pass. Don't bother.

True Lies. AMAZING.
quick

Post by quick »

true lies is so totally amazing

I thought limitless was shit... so many stupid things thrown into the movie to turn a good idea into a shit movie... its like they didn't try that extra bit to make a good idea into a good movie... poor poor poor execution
youthful_implants

quick wrote:
I thought limitless was shit... so many stupid things thrown into the movie to turn a good idea into a shit movie... its like they didn't try that extra bit to make a good idea into a good movie... poor poor poor execution
totally. was rubbish.

script was terrible, thought the acting was even worse and who wants to see some fuckhead become mr amazing anyway? :retzienolike:
Strontium Music

Hardy

Post by Hardy »

I thought that Limitless was cool. Not brilliant, but just a cool fun movie.

I tried watching "Valkyrie" with the girl the other day. Confusing as a motherfucker, turned it off after about 40 mins. Any movie where you constantly need to refer to the internet just to know what the fuck is going on is a fail. It's like they skip key scenes. And WTF couldn't the actors speak with a German accent? It's not like they don't get paid enough.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i didnt mind valkyrie
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

mrj wrote:watched two classic films this weekend

The Deer Hunter
The Godfather Part I
Both GREAT movies. Godfather Pt.I. is one of my favourite movies of ALL time, easily my favourite gangster movie - ahead of Goodfellas and Carlito's Way. I'm currently reading the book.

I wouldn't say I found Brando's character comical - I actually found it one of the best played characters I've ever seen on film.

Saw 'The King's Speech' and 'The Fighter' over the weekend. King's Speech was awesome, very well done. Rush, Bonham Carter and Firth did an excellent job. 'The Fighter' was also good, although I didn't find it quote as impressive as The King's Speech - was kind of unsure how to take it at times.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

mecka wrote:Films I have seen lately:

Bridesmaids. Piss funny. Seriously, one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I can't recall the last time I laughed for two hours straight.

Limitless. Solid film. Few holes here and there but well acted, striking visual effects and neat twists.

Hall Pass. Don't bother.

True Lies. AMAZING.

OMG i stupidly went to the movies and saw Hall Pass, and i want my money and 2 hours back. Soooo fricken awful. My mate fell asleep next to me during it lolz
click here fo fotos
witty_pseudonym

i can't think of a movie i want to see less than hall pass, that and the hangover 2. urgh.

i want to watch the fall again (in more sound mind). completely captivated me.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

same re The Fall. I am gonna go buy it and take it over to my Ma's to watch with her. Raved on about it to her and reckon she'll love it too. Sooo good!
click here fo fotos
mrj

Post by mrj »

I loved fall
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

saw Bridesmaides last night. Couldn't stop laughing, so dang funny! Some parts were a bit wtf? but generally the whole movie was well done, well acted and had the laughs coming non-stop
click here fo fotos
thedeadly9

Post by thedeadly9 »

Thor = Garbage
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

This weekend I watched:

Bridesmaids: Very funny, but not as good as it's made out to be. Needs to be cut by at least 30 mins. Still very much a cliched chick flick, despite what the ads and reviews say. Def had some hilarious moments though.

Sucker Punch: I quite liked it, I was expecting it to be terrible. Not brilliant and I picked the ending in the first 15 minutes, but good escapism. Just don't try to read into it.

Insidious: Started really well, then got completely ridiculous. Not just a clever title.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

the next three days. was not all that great.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

watched Easy A yesterday - not bad, had a couple of laugh out loud moments. Pretty standard teen style flick movie.
click here fo fotos
mrj

Post by mrj »

i thought easy a was a bit better than the standard teen flick. only a little better tho.

I thought Sucker Punch was pure excrement, felt like I was watching an add for Final Fantasty XXVI. Turned it off after about 20 minutes.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Watched Hangover 2 on the weekend. Piece of shit. I liked the first but the sequel was just crap. A couple of laughs, but that's about it.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

it was terrible.

watched Transformers 3 yesterday @ Imax in 3D.

Good experience watching it on the big screen
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Hardy wrote:Bridesmaids: Very funny, but not as good as it's made out to be. Needs to be cut by at least 30 mins. Still very much a cliched chick flick, despite what the ads and reviews say. Def had some hilarious moments though.
agreed. the only thing i have to add is that it has a terrible, terrible, terrible cheesy ending. rose byrne played her role amazingly well.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

Feigan wrote:it was terrible.

agreed, crap movie but visually stunning fx etc
a bit more slow stuff too than the 100% fast motion-blur filled first two
still, the 45min+ end fight seq is a bit much...
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Kaiproject wrote:
Feigan wrote:it was terrible.

agreed, crap movie but visually stunning fx etc
a bit more slow stuff too than the 100% fast motion-blur filled first two
still, the 45min+ end fight seq is a bit much...
The end fight scene was my favorite part - it just kept on giving.....
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

just got The Fall in the post! YAY! Can has owning it and sharing of the love. joy!
click here fo fotos
quick

Post by quick »

Finally watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Animal Kingdom, both awesome as...

Sucker Punch was crap

I Am Number 4 was bearable... just

Paul was ok at best... some funny moments, better than i thought it would be

West Coast vs Geelong rd 16 2011, movie of the year! :noteef:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Watched Source Code today. Was intrigued at first, then it just got utterly gay. Should have ditched all the "be excellent to each other" messages and flooded the set with robot nuns with machine gun tits and rockets that they fire from their fannies.
mecka

Post by mecka »

You haven't seen the directors cut then...
youthful_implants

Hardy wrote:Watched Source Code today. Was intrigued at first, then it just got utterly gay. Should have ditched all the "be excellent to each other" messages and flooded the set with robot nuns with machine gun tits and rockets that they fire from their fannies.
I really enjoyed it! Watched it last night.

Also saw Unknown with Liam Neeson which is on a similar (identity crisis, who am I?, am I real?) vibe. Also quite good I thought.
Strontium Music

mrj

Post by mrj »

youthful_implants wrote:
Hardy wrote:Watched Source Code today. Was intrigued at first, then it just got utterly gay. Should have ditched all the "be excellent to each other" messages and flooded the set with robot nuns with machine gun tits and rockets that they fire from their fannies.
I really enjoyed it! Watched it last night.

Also saw Unknown with Liam Neeson which is on a similar (identity crisis, who am I?, am I real?) vibe. Also quite good I thought.
oh come on

Unknown was the biggest pile of rubbish this side of the moreland tip.

I didn't mind source code though.