iPhone.. zomg

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
almax

Re: iPhone.. zomg

Post by almax »

i just bought an iphone 4 last week, they better not come out with the 5 soon!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

^^^ didya?

on pran? still contemplating it...
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

September is the rumoured release date.

Some nerd out there in cyberspace has made all the rumours going around into an infographic.

Dunno where he's getting his percentages from though..
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
almax

Post by almax »

ghetto kitty wrote:^^^ didya?

on pran? still contemplating it...
indeedily, switched to optarse, so far so good.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:( cannot pran kitteh.

september is 6 months away. feels like a long time when you are waiting for iphone to hang up a call for 3 minutes.

:lol:
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

just get the phone
GET THA PHOONNNEEEE.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

zaldujvhaepitubpidabqpughbvAPeiuqh

$1k is a LOT of MUNNEY for phoneeeeeeeeeee
retzie

Post by retzie »

Ain't the problem with Vodafone? So you'd still have the same shit with an iPhone 4/5/T1000??

Sounds like the only $$ worth spending is to jump to a personal plan on a different network...
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i dunno really retzie!

but cannot pay for all my calls when 75% are for work.
retzie

Post by retzie »

I take it work will only pay via their own plan? Can not has an allowance or something??
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

cannot. work plan has delaio for ten sims or summin, way cheaper etc.
must bring own phone.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Solid journalism by Ben Parr tbh.
Don't hate me for house
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

coming to fairfax syndication near you.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Security Researchers Reveal iPhone And iPad 3G Record Location Data In Hidden File

Security Researcher Alasdair Allan at the University of Exeter has revealed that iPhone and iPad 3G regularly tracks your iOS device and records the co-ordinates along with timestamp in a hidden file.

Allan and Pete Warden will speak about this topic at O'Reilly Where 2.0 Conference that started yesterday at Santa Clara, CA.

Allan has provided the following details about the information that is being recorded:
All iPhones appear to log your location to a file called "consolidated.db." This contains latitude-longitude coordinates along with a timestamp. The coordinates aren't always exact, but they are pretty detailed. There can be tens of thousands of data points in this file, and it appears the collection started with iOS 4, so there's typically around a year's worth of information at this point. Our best guess is that the location is determined by cell-tower triangulation, and the timing of the recording is erratic, with a widely varying frequency of updates that may be triggered by traveling between cells or activity on the phone itself.
Allan has raised privacy concerns as the hidden file is also backed up to your computer when you sync it, in unencrypted and unprotected form.

There is currently no evidence to suggest that this file is being uploaded to Apple servers but the researchers point out:
“Apple has made it possible for almost anybody – a jealous spouse, a private detective – with access to your phone or computer to get detailed information about where you’ve been.”
The researchers have created an application called iPhone Tracker (download link) that can be used to look at the contents of the hidden file. They have also reached out to Apple for comment but haven’t received a response yet.

If you’re worried about someone accessing this file then you can encrypt the iPhone backups through iTunes (click on your device within iTunes and then check "Encrypt iPhone Backup" under the "Options" area).

This is a bit dodgy i reckon.
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
aroes

Post by aroes »

Been using HTC Desire S for about a week now

After inundating Huge with a plethora of dumb questions and just generally having a massive sook because it's not a Nokia from the dark ages, must say I'm very impressed. Slick, does everything I want it to do. Easy

iPhones are ghey :teef:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

It's still not as good as an iPhone though!

Although I don't know how I would cope without Swype now.
Don't hate me for house
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

swype is so awes
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

swype has been a life changer. can't wait for it to get out of beta, as it's a bit buggy.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Do you get the whole doesn't work after your phone turns off till you disable and re enable it thing?

Annoys me as my phone always turns off as I can't get a day out of the battery.
Don't hate me for house
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

huge
old boy

Post by huge »

JAMESSSS wrote:Do you get the whole doesn't work after your phone turns off till you disable and re enable it thing?

mine does that sometimes. now i can't even get the thing to install the latest version cos ive run out of space huhu.

with the battery, ive started to disable data and use only 2g networks when just sitting around on wifi. 1 charge i can get into 3 days.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

JAMESSSS wrote:Do you get the whole doesn't work after your phone turns off till you disable and re enable it thing?

i did when i first installed it, but not for the past month or so. have you got the latest release (10 march)?

the bug that's killing me: sometimes swype crashes and i can't use swipe input (well, i can but it doesn't go to the active input field) until the phone is rebooted. i can still use key by key input on the swype keyboard though.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

huge wrote:with the battery, ive started to disable data and use only 2g networks when just sitting around on wifi. 1 charge i can get into 3 days.
try juice defender and nobars. they should be implemented in the os or come preinstalled with android. my battery wouldn't last a day otherwise.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

andy_hoffman wrote:Security Researchers Reveal iPhone And iPad 3G Record Location Data In Hidden File

Security Researcher Alasdair Allan at the University of Exeter has revealed that iPhone and iPad 3G regularly tracks your iOS device and records the co-ordinates along with timestamp in a hidden file.

Allan and Pete Warden will speak about this topic at O'Reilly Where 2.0 Conference that started yesterday at Santa Clara, CA.

Allan has provided the following details about the information that is being recorded:
All iPhones appear to log your location to a file called "consolidated.db." This contains latitude-longitude coordinates along with a timestamp. The coordinates aren't always exact, but they are pretty detailed. There can be tens of thousands of data points in this file, and it appears the collection started with iOS 4, so there's typically around a year's worth of information at this point. Our best guess is that the location is determined by cell-tower triangulation, and the timing of the recording is erratic, with a widely varying frequency of updates that may be triggered by traveling between cells or activity on the phone itself.
Allan has raised privacy concerns as the hidden file is also backed up to your computer when you sync it, in unencrypted and unprotected form.

There is currently no evidence to suggest that this file is being uploaded to Apple servers but the researchers point out:
“Apple has made it possible for almost anybody – a jealous spouse, a private detective – with access to your phone or computer to get detailed information about where you’ve been.”
The researchers have created an application called iPhone Tracker (download link) that can be used to look at the contents of the hidden file. They have also reached out to Apple for comment but haven’t received a response yet.

If you’re worried about someone accessing this file then you can encrypt the iPhone backups through iTunes (click on your device within iTunes and then check "Encrypt iPhone Backup" under the "Options" area).

This is a bit dodgy i reckon.
full article and video available on the o'reilly radar site
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

system wrote:
huge wrote:with the battery, ive started to disable data and use only 2g networks when just sitting around on wifi. 1 charge i can get into 3 days.
try juice defender and nobars. they should be implemented in the os or come preinstalled with android. my battery wouldn't last a day otherwise.
yer i have used juice defender. still get a butload of battery after turning off those 2 things. 3 days! not bad. not on the dodgy backup batteries i have tho. they are useless.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I never use wifi, I've had my phone for months now and still haven't got round to configuring it for my home network.

Does juice defender rely on you doing stuff or does it guess what it can turn on / off?
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hey guys,

is there any map apps or any way to use the map app for iphone to find directions without using tollways?

i can only find android forums and its confusing me.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

derp.

yes and how does one find directions without tollways jamessss ?

:P
deviant

Post by deviant »

cheapskate imo
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

fuck that. i pay taxes. im fine with an actual tollway, a guy i give actual money to or tell a riddle to to cross roads etc

but some electronic bullshit thing that costs $15 to drive on it once on a weekend is fucking shit.

boycott forever.
spiral

Post by spiral »

ghetto kitty wrote:fuck that. i pay taxes. im fine with an actual tollway, a guy i give actual money to or tell a riddle to to cross roads etc

but some electronic bullshit thing that costs $15 to drive on it once on a weekend is fucking shit.

boycott forever.
web version has the avoid toll option not sure of iphone one :(
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hmm yes, cannot find on phone.

edit - forums say
I don't know if anyone has worked it out yet but if you want to avoid toll roads, in the iPhone maps app, at the end of the destination address put a space & type "no toll" and it will avoid toll roads.
:lol: what this actually does is change your destination to .....EASTLINK!!!!

bwahahaha ffs.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

JAMESSSS wrote:I never use wifi, I've had my phone for months now and still haven't got round to configuring it for my home network.

Does juice defender rely on you doing stuff or does it guess what it can turn on / off?
It has sensible default settings, and you can either customize or select from a more or less aggressive strategy.
aroes

Post by aroes »

How exactly do I do this?

Must say that if I had one gripe with the new phone, it'd be battery life

The trusty old Nokia used to get into three days no worries as long as I wasn't on it flat out......took Desire S off charger at about 6.30 this morning and am already down to about 3/4 charge......all I've done is send a couple of texts and download a mix

:(
aroes

Post by aroes »

Ok so i didn't disable data but i did turn off wifi. Seems to already have made a difference to battery life. Will know for sure by the end of today

Tbh the only reason i was leaving it on was that whenever i opened google maps, it was telling me i would get more accurate location data if wifi was turned on. I don't see how this could be the case. Doesn't it rely solely on gps?

So yeah, i'm thinking i'll leave wifi switched off all the time unless i'm somewhere i know i can get a free and reliable wifi connection. I tested out the google maps thing this morning and it appeared to be spot on without the aid of wifi
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

aroes wrote:Tbh the only reason i was leaving it on was that whenever i opened google maps, it was telling me i would get more accurate location data if wifi was turned on. I don't see how this could be the case. Doesn't it rely solely on gps?

So yeah, i'm thinking i'll leave wifi switched off all the time unless i'm somewhere i know i can get a free and reliable wifi connection. I tested out the google maps thing this morning and it appeared to be spot on without the aid of wifi
both apple and google have built up massive location databases that can tell you where you are, often with more precision than gps (and quicker than gps), by just looking at all the wifi networks around you and mapping that to a location. it's great when gps either doesn't work or takes ages to get a fix.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
aroes

Post by aroes »

Am on an htc, not iphone

Maps seems to work fine with gps only.....so far so good

As far as the battery life thing goes, seems i may have been wrong about wifi. Got pretty much the same life whether it was switched on or off. Figured out last night how to switch off data roaming, so i'll see how effective that is (ie- only switching it on when i need a web connection, as opposed to having it on all the time)

One other thing that's been giving me the shits is typing messages in landscape mode. Hitting backspace exits the screen. Seems to be a common android bug, but have searched high and low on forums and can't find a fix. Maybe use a different message client? V frustrating

Help
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

ah heh, soz. g'luck.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Reckon you guys need your own "Android.. zomg" thread :teef:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

iphone is NOT ZOMG - iphone has died.

has to be plugged in to work - so handy!

apparently i can only buy outright from doncaster or chadstone. or online, but cant find on apple store unless linked to carrier?

JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah whoops. was on the yankee site hehehe

ffs $859 sheesh
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Salary sacrifice?
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

you mean write it off later?
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:iphone is NOT ZOMG - iphone has died.

has to be plugged in to work - so handy!

apparently i can only buy outright from doncaster or chadstone. or online, but cant find on apple store unless linked to carrier?

I might be able to fix it Bo... 3 or 3Gs?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

3Gs. I have tried everything dan! restored, reinstalled, i dont know what to do :(

i had to charge it 5 times yesterday, i cannot delete text messages anymore, it freezes all the time...
it was at 100% this morning, used it on tram for half an hour, back to 20%.

uselesssss!!!
becasue of my current situation having it work okay for another two weeks/month would be great, but it doesnt look like thats going to happen.
deviant

Post by deviant »

ADD_Boy wrote:easy lads.

I've done it from PC to MAC.. I assume this will work for the other way around (and from MAC to MAC and PC to another PC and so on and so forth).

it's something discussed on a LOT of forums.. BUT .. no-one knows how to ..

1) Back up your itunes library to DVD (on the mac) (File, Library, back up to disc)

2) Restore the itunes library on the new machine (the pc in this case)

3) DON'T change anythign on the iPhone while youre doing tha above steps..

4) Plus in the iphone and hit Sync.

5) This is ANNOYING.. You need to create your playlists again and sync that. This will remove all the music from your machine, then re-add it in the new playlist (end result is the same music will be on your machine)

6) Apps will all be removed, but then re-added.

Any questions .. let me know :)
So, I now no longer have access to the original computer :(

super worried I will lose all my contacts n apps and purchased music, and data within apps...
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:3Gs. I have tried everything dan! restored, reinstalled, i dont know what to do :(

i had to charge it 5 times yesterday, i cannot delete text messages anymore, it freezes all the time...
it was at 100% this morning, used it on tram for half an hour, back to 20%.

uselesssss!!!
becasue of my current situation having it work okay for another two weeks/month would be great, but it doesnt look like thats going to happen.
I can fix it for $50 (new battery and installation)

let me know