TAXI DRIVERS

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

DBoy wrote:just this Saturday gone my girls friend from bendigo left revolved at 8am. Caught taxi and asked to go to Resevior. CAlled me an hour later, she had been dropped of $50 later about 1/2 hour from where she asked to go. I had to walk her home with aid of Melways cause she had no money left.

Guy totally just went towards his house then made her pay and get out of the cab. She is not used to Melbourne so freaked out cause he got all scary on her arse. Was 8am so she did not think to get taxi number.
Should have reported the fucker.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Lizkins wrote:man some of these stories are full on.

have had some good cabbies, great conversations about life, politics and what have you. Even ended up staying in the cab even when arrived at the destination to keep chatting.

but my worst experience would have to be Christmas a few years back when I was really drunk, got into the cab hugging a bottle of wine (all class), the cabby started grabbing at me and then shoved his hands between my legs before preceding to drive off in the opposite direction to where I lived. I started yelling at him when I realised what he was doing and then I tried bailing at the lights. He apologised and turned the car around in the direction of my place and took me home.
That's FUCKED!

After that story about the guy saying 'I won't rape you' the news suggested girls don't catch taxi's by themselves late at night. What the fuck else are you meant to do?? Shouldn't they weed out the pricks instead putting the onus on the girls to be safe?? Makes me mad as hell :evil:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

i had a terrible cabbie experience in Barcelona :cry:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

ive been locked in a cab before, in adelaide. going the opposite way to where i was headed.
i threatened to break the window and jump out till he stopped the car.

bad experiences in other countries too.

fucked.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Arrbee and I recently got ripped off when getting a cab home from the international airport. The fare was $37, the driver quickly turned the meter off and told us it was $45 owing because of the citylink toll and airport charge. We said "that's a bit high" and he replies knowing we'd been out of the country, "fares went up last week".

We handed over the cash, but then I kept on the case. I called the Victorian Taxi Directorate and no there hadn't been any fare increases. They asked for the cab number, date and time to pursue it all but I hadn't recorded it.

The extra charges should have been $3.50 for the Tulla citylink (airport to Brunswick Rd) and $2 for the airport charge.

Another taxi driver advised me in cases like that to ask for a receipt as it details the charges and gives you the cab info.

I support Melbourne cabbies all the time since I don't own a car, but that BAD EGG had made me a doubter :(
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

RMHC wrote:I once got in a cab that had amazing disco lights, big spacious seats, cool as big North African driving and as soon as we started off the theme song from shaft kicked in...

might have been the acid though :teef:
I've been in that cab!!!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

stovequeen wrote:i had a terrible cabbie experience in Barcelona :cry:
What happened Stovie?
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Direktor wrote:
What happened Stovie?

at a guess Direktor, terrible and crying would not warrant a story on here...

could be wrong though
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Fair enough. Not meaning to pry.
gnat

Post by gnat »

when my fam was here once we were cabbing to st kilda running late for dinner. guy picks us up and i say go back of spring st and brunton av onto punt rd

he fucks around and drives down russell st and down swanston, can barely speak english. i'm asking where the hell he's going and he just shrugs

we get to collins st and the meter from brunny to there was already 38 bucks!

i said fuck that- that is not right- it'd be max $16- do it all the time

we got out and told him to buggar off, no way was i paying 38 dollars- he was ripping us off flat out, thinking that we were all from interstate and not just my mum who told him that when we got in

guy went nuts wanting us to pay saying he'd call the cops. i was like go right ahead- you've so shonked us here.

we got in another car and told the driver and he agreed that he'd bumped the meter and that we should complain

pretty wrong- if my mum had of been on the can alone she would have thought that was kosher and just paid it
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
mrj

Post by mrj »

I can't think of anytime I've ever had a really bad driver. I've had some speed demons, but usually that makes me happy.

I've had some swervy drivers but usually I've only really noticed that a lot because I've been very drunk and its resulted in me eventually spewing.

I think I've been incredibely lucky because prob every time the dodgiest person in the cab is me.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Polecat wrote:Arrbee and I recently got ripped off when getting a cab home from the international airport. The fare was $37, the driver quickly turned the meter off and told us it was $45 owing because of the citylink toll and airport charge. We said "that's a bit high" and he replies knowing we'd been out of the country, "fares went up last week".

We handed over the cash, but then I kept on the case. I called the Victorian Taxi Directorate and no there hadn't been any fare increases. They asked for the cab number, date and time to pursue it all but I hadn't recorded it.

The extra charges should have been $3.50 for the Tulla citylink (airport to Brunswick Rd) and $2 for the airport charge.

Another taxi driver advised me in cases like that to ask for a receipt as it details the charges and gives you the cab info.

I support Melbourne cabbies all the time since I don't own a car, but that BAD EGG had made me a doubter :(
That happens to me all the time.

I think about four times now I've asked for the complaints number and they've suddenly remembered my route costed less than they orgianlly thought/
Don't hate me for house
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

jbs wrote: That happens to me all the time.

I think about four times now I've asked for the complaints number and they've suddenly remembered my route costed less than they orgianlly thought/
That was the first time I've had it happen from the airport in 6 years plus of living here. It's super dodgy. I will remember your trick though for the future.

For other people's reference, the number is on the bottom right of the sticker that must be displayed in all cabs with the details of fare charges. In our dodgy cab from the airport this sticker was on the front glove box, so we couldn't check it from where we sat in the back seat.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

I always memorise the rego number before I get in...just in case. I'm a parnoid little fucker :smt036
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I've been in a few cabs where the ID holder is empty.

That scares me.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

^^ Me too. The last time we had that happen was going home from Room one time. The driver looked very young, and absolutely frightened of driving. He subsequently ran a red light on Punt Rd, after trying to take me the long way because he really had no idea how to get to Lygon St. That should have been warning enough!

We got out of that cab early and walked the remaining 3 blocks home.

It's the cab number they like if you're going to report someone. It's on the outside of the cab.
gnat

Post by gnat »

when i put my mates in a cab i always stick my head in and say gday mate and get their number which i save in my phone

we always say in front of driver too 'txt me when you're home'

can't hurt
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

always get a receipt even if you pay cash - it's a good fallback in case something odd happens, overcharging, losing belongings etc
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Lizkins wrote:
Direktor wrote:
What happened Stovie?

could be wrong though
correct Missy, NFI

Mark, lets just say i was very close to not making it home from EU in '05.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

stovequeen wrote:
Lizkins wrote:
Direktor wrote: What happened Stovie?

could be wrong though
correct Missy, NFI

i'm glad you made it home babe :smt056

wish i could give you a real hug right now....
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Lizkins wrote:
stovequeen wrote:
Lizkins wrote:

could be wrong though
correct Missy, NFI

Thanks Missy :D

It's all good, i've got over it now. Regardless of Spain or Aus it can happen anywhere.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

stovequeen wrote:
Lizkins wrote:
Direktor wrote: What happened Stovie?

could be wrong though
correct Missy, NFI

Far out Fi, didn't hear that part of your adventure!!! Glad you did make it back in one piece.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

stovequeen wrote:
Lizkins wrote:
stovequeen wrote: correct Missy, NFI

Thanks Missy :D

It's all good, i've got over it now. Regardless of Spain or Aus it can happen anywhere.

true true, what doesn't kill ya aye....
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

I had taxi driver deliberately hit me whilst i was standing on the road once. I was pissed that he accepted a couple of young ladies instead me (even though i had rang and booked it) thus i stood in front of his car until he drove me home. Was not much space to manoeuvre, so he backed up then accelerated to about 30-40 kph and collected me. Thank fully i rolled across the bonnet instead of under the car, escaped with a couple of bruises. The next day i went to file a complaint (with number plate details in hand) only for the police to accuse me of wasting their time of an incident that was 'created by myself', thus they told me the best thing to do would e to complain to the taxi company, whilst they washed their hands of any paper work that may have been associated with it. Fucking taxi drivers, fucking cops.

P.N I do think taxi drivers and police are divided into two, the fuckwits and the dudes.
deviant

Re: TAXI DRIVERS

Post by deviant »

they have gone to far with this fare refusal shit.....

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ginge ... 1c2zk.html
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

holy shit that is terrible, poor guy
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
nic

Post by nic »

need more taxi driver bashings / burnings IMO
wankers
deviant

Post by deviant »

A taxi driver we had a few months ago actually got out of his cab and headbutted another taxi driver in the face for flashing his lights at him :shock:

fucking psycho cunt
aroes

Post by aroes »

I had a good one a couple of years ago

Trains weren't running so me and a random dude shared a cab from Dandy to Caulfield. Upon arrival, the meter showed about $40, and the cabbie says "right, that'll be (roughly) $30 each". Not surprisingly I said something to the tune of er no, we shared the cab, we'll split the fare down the middle thanks. The cabbie spins some crap about both parties having to pay 75% each when sharing a ride. We get into a fairly heated argument and the cabbie tells me to look at the sticker on his glovebox, which he says clearly states the rules. Feeling a bit sheepish and feeling as though I was about to be schooled, I read said sticker and learned that the rule he'd referred to actually states that when sharing a ride, one party will pay no more than 75% of the total fare. After attempting to explain this rationally to the blithering idiot, he got in my face screaming and pushed me. At that point I suggested he back the fuck up and I walked away from the cab without parting with any cash whatsoever

Kind of felt bad coz the dude I split the ride with was a fresh off the boat Indian whose English was dodgy at best. I get the feeling that after I stormed off in a huff, the cabbie may have strong armed him into paying the entire bullshit amount

Fucking shady cunt
deviant

Post by deviant »

I don't understand why it matters who pays what portion of the fare :?:
aroes

Post by aroes »

I'm guessing the rule exists to avoid situations where shonky cunts share cabs with randoms and try to avoid paying their share

If one party isn't allowed to pay more than 75% of the total fare, the cost is more evenly spread

This dickhead wanted us to pay 75% of the total EACH, meaning he was going to net a fare and a half
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Pretty sure the Taxi driver was right, the intention is that you both pay 75% when you end your portion of the trip (which was at the same place in this case).

It's pretty unclear if it can be considered multiple hiring if you both get in at the same place though.

Always seemed like a stupid rule to me.

http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/Doi/Int ... enDocument
Don't hate me for house
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

i reckon there needs to be like taxi school where they are taught the road rules, how to drive in Australia vs the country they just came from, what are the taxi driving association rules

The amount of times i have chatted with cabbies and discussed the different driving ways in different countries and told them how not to do the same in Aus because unlike, say India, where the horn is your weapon, here in Aus you may not be so lucky. I have said they need to see the back of the tyres of the car in front, and to always use your indicators especially for changing lanes. They are always shocked when I explain it to them, but its like a light switch goes off cos they realise that is why they have prob been having issues on the road.
click here fo fotos
aroes

Post by aroes »

JAMESSSS wrote:Pretty sure the Taxi driver was right, the intention is that you both pay 75% when you end your portion of the trip (which was at the same place in this case).

It's pretty unclear if it can be considered multiple hiring if you both get in at the same place though.

Always seemed like a stupid rule to me.

http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/Doi/Int ... enDocument
Yeah I dunno. The taxi directorate sticker in his car was worded alot differently. Vague as the document you linked to is, I still reckon I was in the right. We both got in the cab at the same time, so as far as the cabbie was concerned, me and the other dude were the same entity. I called the company and hired the cab. Before it arrived to pick me up I asked the dude next to me if he was going to Caulfield and if so would he like to share the ride. If anything, I reckon the dodgy prick was just preying on the fact that me and the other bloke clearly didn't know each other

I've told a few cabbies about the incident since and they all said he was out of line and that if I'd taken his number down and reported it, the company would've thrown the book at him

Besides, the guy is shit at life in more ways than one. Only a month or two before that incident, he'd refused me a fare from the station to my place coz it wasn't far enough. Like fuck. It's a bloody $10 fare. Was pissing down rain too
deviant

Post by deviant »

nah man, you should've walked.... how dare you asume that a taxi should take you to your warm house for only $10, just coz it was raining.... suck it up princess
aroes

Post by aroes »

remiss of me i know
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

I had a full blown argument at about 8am out the front of my house once with a driver who attempted to get me to pay something like $80 for a trip from the airport to macleod.

i wasn't actually in the car my little sister who is from the gold coast was, I had given her really specific instructions on how to get to my house, which wasn't hard considering its ring road greensborough bound, right at greensborough then right into my street.

He proceded to go the wrong way down the ring road and my sister was messaging me all the while he then pulled over in the emergency lane to consult a melway and realised he was going the wrong way.
At no time did he turn the meter off on the way back down the ring road towards airport turn off.

I fly often enough to know what my fair would be so argued masively while my sister went and hid in the house haha. I won in the end thank fuck.

I dunno how many times I've had drive offs in the city though after saying where I want to go or because I've been with a male.

On my own or with GFs I've never had issues. Actually found it easier to flag one towards the end of december with just me standing trying to flag then the boys ran over at the last minute and got in as opposed to us all standing as a group.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
mecka

Post by mecka »

Few problems with taxi drivers here but other passengers can get fucked.

Got pulled out of a cab at the end of last year by a woman who insisted that she'd hailed it first. In spite of the fact that the cab was on my side of the road, the cabbie had asked me where I was going and I was already in the passenger seat.

Apparently chivalry is dead, according to the bitch that left me in the gutter.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I don't think taxi drivers are allowed to turn the meter off are they?
Don't hate me for house
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

I think Taxi drivers should pass an exam before they can be one.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

click here fo fotos
gnat

Post by gnat »

Prof Fels said drivers should have a clean criminal record and be trustworthy, have good English skills, and have good driving ability and basic knowledge of the streets.

LOL. i can't say i have actually experienced this phenomenon in recent years

for the most part dodgy rude assholes

i despise melbourne taxi drivers

would be happy to pay more for london taxi type service
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

what are those renegade cabbies called in london? just hang out on the street asking if you need a cab and drive you around in their own car. super dodge huhu.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
gnat

Post by gnat »

town cars
aroes

Post by aroes »

We had a town car experience in Melbourne a few years back

Bout 15 or 20 of us were at a house party just off Flinders Lane. Walked out to Flinders and Hosier to get a couple of maxis and this hilarious Vietnamese dude pulls up and asks where we're going. We said Collingwood via the bottle shop and he piled all of us into the back of his van. Cops pulled up next to us at lights and noticed what was going on, said to the dude "There's quite a few people in your car mate, you do know that's illegal right?"......he just laughed and nodded, cops didn't bother pulling him over

Pretty sure he ended up charging us about $5

:retzielikes:
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

once going from brunswick st to pete's old place ...

'it's just up in brunswick, near albion & lygon'
'(ignoring tomtom on the dash) can you give me directions?'
'... yeah ok, go up nicholson st'
'where's that?'

RIGHT FUCKING NEXT TO US
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

got hit by a cab running that was running a red light on nicholson st while i was riding a couple of years ago, totalled bike didn't see its rego...
have had driver come back across town to return phone sunday mid-morning...
quick

Post by quick »

huge wrote:what are those renegade cabbies called in london? just hang out on the street asking if you need a cab and drive you around in their own car. super dodge huhu.
mini cabs... they are everywhere, and a LOT cheaper than black cabs... u set price before u leave, also depends on how many people... they are set up all around popular night spots so its easy to get home.. fully legal
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

totes dodge. i paid 50 squid for a 20 min ride to a mate's in total desperation one night. just got off a flight, missioned to oxford st, no buses for an hour and a half and pissing with rain. i cried most of the way knowing i was forking out over $100 for a cab ride. felt like the biggest tourist sucker in the back of that merc.
quick

Post by quick »

well u were if u paid that :P
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick