Beat.Aid - Jan 14 @ PoW - B.L.I.M, Nubreed, MC Tali + more

On Jan 14, 2005 the Melbourne Beats crew along with some 700+ people raised around $17,000 for the Asia Quake & Tsunami appeal. This forum is an archive of the organisational discussion for the event.
Ani

Post by Ani »

Sweet Cubist... see you tonight
eskay

Post by eskay »

I'm outtie... see ya tonight all and sundry 8)
Under every grief and pine
Runs a joy with silken twine.

B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

cool well im out of here (work :P) so ill see u all tonight on the toilet side of the room, looking foward to meeting some more MB headz too :D
That's so plausible I can't believe it!
XVi32 - It's a blog
Kulture - Melbourne Jungle/D&B blog
Melbourne D&B - Melbourne D&B Forum
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

I'd print all this out and bring it to the meeting at 8pm but printer no work. I'll take down some minutes or whatever if needed. Good idea's there. Interesting for all to see how the planning progresses rite thru to the party.

With this many people getting involved and their associated friends finding out about the party, there should be a bucketload of people.

I know the guys how do the PBS radio show onSaturday nite from midnite. Once we have the details, I'll get them to plug the show for us as well.

See ya at 8pm :D
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Bah. I'm not a healthy boy today, so I cannae attend. If it's any consolation, I feel bad about it. I'm still keen to lend a hand for postering/DJing/organizing/whatever though, so hit me up if there's anything I can do.
Ani

Post by Ani »

No worries Hardy- just get better.. we need you well for next week!

As I said, i'll post a rundown/ the minutes from the meeting tonight when I get home for all those who couldn't make it, and all those who did and need to go over it again!
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Ani - I don't think I've met ya before. Who do I look for or will you just try and bag the area near up the back where the pool table used to be?
Ani

Post by Ani »

Pool table? That must have been more then a couple of years ago? I've never seen one! Going to try and get the couches on the back wall, opposite the toilets. Just look for a big group of a lot of excited people. I'll probably be the only one in the place with writing paper and pens..... :?
Or ask the bar staff, we'll word them up.
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

EZ - catch ya there :o
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

cant make it tonight..

i can still do print outs. so if anyone wants to send me files email me at madcaow at gmail dot com.
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
almax

Post by almax »

damn!
just reading this post now and its 8:20. Id love to get involved, i can do distro in St Kilda/Prahran, been doing posters round there for quite a few years now so i know where i can put em etc. Can do some flyers too.
Loving the vibes
Lephrenic

Oxfam Oxfam Oxfam!!!

Post by Lephrenic »

Has a charity been selected yet? Sorry but I didn't have this stuff in time for the meeting, so consider this my contribution. I was just now talking to my aunt (who was organising sending a donation from the bookstore where she works) and she had a few suggestions about who to donate to.

- Apparently Medicins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) are stretched to their limit so there's little point giving them more money if they can't use it. A pity, because they would have otherwise been a good option.

- World Vision are a Christian organisation and sending them or other Christian groups into Muslim areas is probably not a good idea. Remember everybody has an agenda.

- Forget CARE Australia! This is Malcolm Fraser's mob and they have been in numerous scandals in the press over money.

- As for the Red Cross, their track record leaves much to be desired.

Here's a good story from Crikey about tracking the donations:
http://www.crikey.com.au/business/2004/12/30-0009.html
And, finally a word of wonder why the Nine Network chose to support just the Red Cross appeal first up, although by late Tuesday they were mentioning the other appeals.

Afterall, Red Cross has copped plenty of grief over that PwC report which showed only $4 million of $14 million raised from its Bali appeal actually went to the victims.
- Oxfam Community Aid Abroad would be the best choice as far as making the most out of the money raised, getting support to where it is most needed and most effective. They have a solid track record and are probably the most free of political interference. Plus, if they're good enough for Crikey...

Here's their address (courtesy of my aunt, who just wrote a cheque to them)

Oxfam Community Aid Abroad
156 George St
Fitzroy
VIC 3065

Ph: +61 (0)3 9289 9444
Fax: +61 (0)3 9419 5318
Email: [email protected]

http://www.oxfam.org.au/world/emergenci ... money.html

You might think any help is good help, but this stuff does matter. There have been many misguided (as well as subverted) efforts at providing aid in the past and I would hate to see all the money we raise do less than it could.

Anyway, it's not my gig. Regardless of who is chosen, I'll be there and bring all the heads I can.

Peace,
Leigh Hegg.
Ani

Post by Ani »

For all those who were unable to make it to the meeting tonight... here is the run down of what was discussed. It is only a brief rundown because we are going to put up more detailed threads in the new forum created especially for this gig (thanks to Lucas for that!). So here it is:

1. LINEUP: Hoping to have 2 rooms, but until that is confirmed, the main room will look something like this:
BLIM
Nubreed
Andy Page
Phil K
Blue Print
(and others i forgot to write down, but Eskay will fill you in! Sorry!)

Once we confirm the second room, a range of local dj's will be set to go in there.

2. A press release is being worked on by Stovequeen and Friday

3. Artwork is being put together as I type this (I believe) by Lucas and Karl. Hope to have this done within the next day or two. This artwork will be used for all posters, flyers, advertising etc, to save time and confusion.

4. A Cd is being organised by BRB and Lucas. Anyone wanting to get a track on needs to speak to either BRB or Lucas ASAP! must have all tracks to BRB by Friday.

5. Volunteers for posters and flyer distrubution are definately needed. Once we have this sorted we will give more details.

6. Volunteers for the Door and Cd sales will be needed... more details to come next week.

7. It has been decided that all funds will go to the Red Cross. They have no religious ties that may offend people and are widely known. Safe.

8. We have decided on no corporate sponsorship mainly due to time contraints.

9. As we now have HUGE headling acts, the door price has increased to $20 min. People can donate more if they wish.

10.We have people assigned to contact all media we think possible, ie, radio, street press, newspapers etc etc. Will let you know the outcomes.

I think that covers the main points. I want to thank everybody so much for their incredible support, and the action taken immediately. We all are aware of the time strain we are under to make this the best gig possible, and it is so heartening to see everyone stepping up to the challenge and giving their all. Also, thankyou to all the people who met up tonight, and those who couldn't make it but sent their support. Also a huge thankyou to the headling acts and those responsible for getting them on board. This has grown from a "what if" idea 2 days ago, to what is looking to be an enormous gig to kick the year off with. And for what better reason then helping people get back on their feet? I am just overwhelmed... the Mb community rocks.

Remember... more detailed info will be posted soon on the newly added forum. It will keep us all up to date on what everyone is doing. If you want to help with a particular aspect, get onto the appropriate thread and go for it!

THANKYOU!!
admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Much props Ani. Well done.

There's a new forum for organising this event.

Find it here:

http://melbournebeats.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

Edit: Thread moved for archival purposes.