Illegally downloaded music

Post links to mixes here.
fooishbar

Illegally downloaded music

Post by fooishbar »

Yarr.

If you're going to upload a mix here, please don't put illegally downloaded music (skips every 2 bars because it's a MySpace clip, or track name isn't actually the track name at all, but the name of a rip + release crew, etc) in them. If you do, the mixes will be removed.

Cheers.

-mods
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
nic

Re: Illegally downloaded music

Post by nic »

name and shame.
witchhunt etc?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

lolz.
deviant

Post by deviant »

so you can put legally purchased and/or downloaded music up for illegal download?
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

I agree in principle, but enforcing this will be impossible most of the time. I'm still in shock at how easy it is to spread music with blogs + rapidshare/zshare/megaupload etc. There's even sites like rapidspread now which upload to multiple hosting sites for you. The file hosting sites don't make it easy to take down files either - you have to prepare a carefully written DMCA notice with a lot of personal information to get them removed, so rapidspread is basically just a big "fuck you" to any industry that sells products in the digital realm. People keep saying "think of it as free promotion"... but when the legal + illegal channels to obtain music are so closely aligned (just open up a browser and Google a track name), I find the whole thing a bit like opening up a free pirate DVD stand right next to a legitimate DVD stand, then calling that "free promotion". Not much can be done about it though... DRM sure isn't the answer. What we really need is some sort of positive incentive for people to obtain music legally. No idea what that is though. Maybe a 4c petrol discount coupon, or Fly Bys with every MP3 purchase. LOL.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Good work Foo.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

he said please
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

a1studmuffin wrote:I agree in principle, but enforcing this will be impossible most of the time. I'm still in shock at how easy it is to spread music with blogs + rapidshare/zshare/megaupload etc. There's even sites like rapidspread now which upload to multiple hosting sites for you. The file hosting sites don't make it easy to take down files either - you have to prepare a carefully written DMCA notice with a lot of personal information to get them removed, so rapidspread is basically just a big "fuck you" to any industry that sells products in the digital realm. People keep saying "think of it as free promotion"... but when the legal + illegal channels to obtain music are so closely aligned (just open up a browser and Google a track name), I find the whole thing a bit like opening up a free pirate DVD stand right next to a legitimate DVD stand, then calling that "free promotion". Not much can be done about it though... DRM sure isn't the answer. What we really need is some sort of positive incentive for people to obtain music legally. No idea what that is though. Maybe a 4c petrol discount coupon, or Fly Bys with every MP3 purchase. LOL.
heh. yeah, no-one's under any delusion that this is going to kill soulseek and whatever, and we're not going to be going around dmca'ing anyone. all it means is that if your music's illegally downloaded, put it whereever you want but on mbc.

god knows drm isn't the answer there though. bugger all extra effort for the pirates, just pisses everyone else off 'cause they can't play it in their car.
deviant wrote:so you can put legally purchased and/or downloaded music up for illegal download?
is it a mix? :P
lynt

Post by lynt »

Dirty fucker.
deviant

Post by deviant »

fooishbar wrote:
deviant wrote:so you can put legally purchased and/or downloaded music up for illegal download?
I'm just questioning the legallity of uploading mixes (with legal and/or illegal content) for public download.... does anyone know the actual law regarding this?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I do.

But I'm not telling.
lynt

Post by lynt »

I ain't sayin' nuttin'

a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Surely it would vary depending on which country you lived in. I'm almost certain it's illegal in good ol' Australia, where technology laws are currently equipped to handle anything prior to 1973.
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

deviant wrote:
fooishbar wrote:
I'm just questioning the legallity of uploading mixes (with legal and/or illegal content) for public download.... does anyone know the actual law regarding this?
Doesnt it have somehting to do with it being a 'promo' tool like when crews used to make Promo mix cd's and just makr them "for promo use only' to get aroud any possible headaches. Sure if the tunes were in singular form but mixes where they are all mixed up is a little different.

Anyway, I've read on a lot of my vinyl that "you must have the artsist consent to play this recording in public' or something of that nature, which I found funny cause thats pretty much the only reason DJ's buy the things in the first place? I think I saw it on some Breakbeat Kaos stuff, probbaly on a Pendulum release with them getting all up thir own asses even more.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

name and shame ftw.

I would be very embarassed to be ousted like that! :lol:

reminds me of a certain johnny 'breaks' chicago with his trademarked 'concrete' mixing style and illegal mixtapes for sale.

oh how he burned. ;)
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

I wouldn't do it out of respect and principle, but it's a sign of the times...the only way of controlling is to name and shame...illegal samples are used in most underground rmx's or bootlegs relying on the fact the scene is too small for anyone to give a shit... i suppose we all should get used to it... producers be more carefull what you do with your music, if its online then what can ya do...if you go old school and cut ya tunes to vinyl you should be safe but who wants to do that anymore... we are all doomed bring on armagedion :idea:
youthful_implants

illegal samples and bootlegs are one thing, rips from myspace or radio are just straight up lame.

tis a creative paradox more than a moral dilemma.
Strontium Music

obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I'm getting Serato this Friday (yeah, sell out, I know). I've already had 3 Serato DJ's offer for me to come over and copy their external hard drives filled with music...if they can do the same with my external hard drive...which has nothing on it right now. Doesn't seem right to me, so I'm just going to convert the records which I've purchased legally to my macbook or songs I've purchased online. Not going to do the hard drive swap, that's fer sure.

I also seem to notice that a lot of Serato DJ's have the same sets of songs they pull out. You notice these things when you're constantly being sandwiched between them. I asked one where he got all his music and he told me about some blog where you just type in a name and all the tracks and remixes pop up...FOR FREE!!! He says he's spent maybe $100 on music since buying Serato a year ago. I told him I spend that much in a week sometimes, on vinyl, and he looked at me like I was an idiot. I reckon the younger DJ's on the scene nowadays have no idea what true digging means and their respect for the music is as disposable as the majority of these remixes ya'll are talking bout.

But that's just the opinion of an old fart like me.
youthful_implants

obliveus wrote:I'm getting Serato this Friday (yeah, sell out, I know). I've already had 3 Serato DJ's offer for me to come over and copy their external hard drives filled with music...if they can do the same with my external hard drive...which has nothing on it right now. Doesn't seem right to me, so I'm just going to convert the records which I've purchased legally to my macbook or songs I've purchased online. Not going to do the hard drive swap, that's fer sure.

I also seem to notice that a lot of Serato DJ's have the same sets of songs they pull out. You notice these things when you're constantly being sandwiched between them. I asked one where he got all his music and he told me about some blog where you just type in a name and all the tracks and remixes pop up...FOR FREE!!! He says he's spent maybe $100 on music since buying Serato a year ago. I told him I spend that much in a week sometimes, on vinyl, and he looked at me like I was an idiot. I reckon the younger DJ's on the scene nowadays have no idea what true digging means and their respect for the music is as disposable as the majority of these remixes ya'll are talking bout.
But that's just the opinion of an old fart like me.
a. If anyone did that to me, I would probably stop being their friend. And I would never respect them as a DJ

b. Its so true, and the problem is that we all suffer as quality control falls through the floor.
Strontium Music

nic

Post by nic »

If anyone did that to me, I would probably stop being their friend. And I would never respect them
cereal business
:stop:
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

Its funny becuase my move to semi digital is about the extra digging im doing online, linking artists etc and picking up dubs or otherwise unknown or limited access tunes
nic

Post by nic »

scrpts
deviant

Post by deviant »

I've had friends offer to copy their hard drives, in exchange for mine.

I usually tell them I'll write down the track names they like and they can go and buy them themselves. @ $2 per track you can't really have a whinge.

on this note, I might pick up serrato this week.... feeling the urge. It's about $2400 cheaper than 2xCDJ1000s, which is my main motivation... Coz technically I'd rather 2 CDJs, but yanno.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Stick to your guns OB1 - don't share (aka rob'n'steal).

As you said, they will want your hard-drive in return, which means (as you said), that you'll all have the same songs. Not to mention any bonus viruses and nasties that you may pick up... (this kinda sounds like the DJ version of sleeping around!)

Fuck that, if you're a professional DJ - support the friggin' industry that enables you to work in the first place.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Only crappy thing about Serato is you need to bring your own laptop to clubs.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Direktor wrote:Fuck that, if you're a professional DJ - support the friggin' industry that enables you to work in the first place.
That obviously wasn't aimed at you OB, more so at the culprits.
FoundationStepper

a1studmuffin wrote:Only crappy thing about Serato is you need to bring your own laptop to clubs.
and fuck around with birdsnest in a lot of cases. not for me, just terying to get better with cdjs
deviant

Post by deviant »

^^^ yeah, that bothers me...

and tbh, I like playing on cdjs.... but the cost is just too much.. plus I have good lappy now and want to use it for something other than pr0n :lol:
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Yeah, I really enjoy playing on CDJs too. They're large, and there's always dedicated (and clearly labelled!) button/knob to do everything. Plus they light up at night. Aw yeah.
marcus

Post by marcus »

Picked up Serato a few months ago - definately the way to go to make your buck go further in terms of tunage and variety, and it's ready to go without the need to burn it to cd (bit scary though, I'm one of beatport's "special" customers and some guy sends recommendations which I either hate or have got already :lol: ). Still pick up the occasional bit of vinyl, but this tends to be bits you can't buy on MP3 or oldies. Got a CD player, but will probably sell that now as it's just gathering dust.
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
youthful_implants

a1studmuffin wrote:Yeah, I really enjoy playing on CDJs too. They're large, and there's always dedicated (and clearly labelled!) button/knob to do everything. Plus they light up at night. Aw yeah.
yeah and you can do spinbacks on em and bring everyone to a standstill just to gawp at them. :lol:
Strontium Music

marcus

Post by marcus »

So, the Ultimate Beats and Breaks 7 inch collection (for those of you familiar with it) I purchased a few months ago, would that be classified as engaging in obtaining illegal music?

:?:
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
BEATS INC.

Post by BEATS INC. »

Serato is such a great way to dj with the whole vinyl feel approach. And also its a cheeper way to go, but I will always prefer a vinyl collection any day. The question I always ask myself about switched to digital is what happens in ten years time when your collection is lost on some hard drive some where? There is nothing like going through ze ol collection. Long live vinyl.
FoundationStepper

I backup my drives in two differnt locations, one at work

If my house burnt down or was burgled I could lose my records for ever, but my files i would still have
eN

Post by eN »

Plus if yur really keen u can hire offshore data storage centres, dunno who could be bothered uploading gigs of wavs to those badboys though :P
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

few people who 'back up' their data ever actually test the quality of the 'back up'.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

vinyl is for kings.

I SPELT IT RIGHT!@!!!
FoundationStepper

system wrote:few people who 'back up' their data ever actually test the quality of the 'back up'.

I erase the drive then do a carbon copy clone, shoudl be pretty safe?
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

FoundationStepper wrote:I backup my drives in two differnt locations, one at work

If my house burnt down or was burgled I could lose my records for ever, but my files i would still have
I have a file on my home computer called the 'peterfile' huhuhuhuhu
BEATS INC.

Post by BEATS INC. »

Digital is for cheap skates and sounds like shit! haha
spin

Post by spin »

it was nice to see krush and marky on serato this year... cheap skates!
ANYTHING:TEST
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
http://gutterhype.blogspot.com/
BEATS INC.

Post by BEATS INC. »

Vinyl is for kings! Just like graff on a piece of paper is for toys! Boh
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

krush was ace on serato

deekline n wizzard crazy dual serato scratchin

traktor scratch better tho

and yeah as long as you backup you won't lose all your tunes, more likely to lose/have all your cds stolen like a couple of my mates
even if mostly burnt a lot of effort burning and labelling down the drain

but yeah vinyl won't die
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

BEATS INC. wrote:Digital is for cheap skates and sounds like shit! haha
Cheap skates vs economically intelligent

Sounds like shit: I think it depends on the genre of music. Tek type stuff, the digital format adds clarity in the mid-top end IMO. But for "vintage" sounding hip-hop, I think vinyl gives it that authentic "warmth".

But... pretty much most of the music peeps on these boards would listen to is originally produced digitally isn't it? Anyone still use tape?
BEATS INC.

Post by BEATS INC. »

HAHA...Tape...thats a good one! I still don't have one of those.
portal

Post by portal »

I thought it was illegal to post mixes anyway?

You're making the music in the mix available to others who haven't purchased it.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Depends where you are in the world, and in a lot of places the law is pretty ambiguous about it to the point that the best lawyer will win. On the one hand, it's giving away music at reasonably good quality for free, but on the other hand, it's free promotion for the labels/artists in the new medium that has essentially replaced conventional radio. I guarantee if you actually asked the labels/artists none of them would have a problem with it, unless you put the original unmixed track up or posted your mix at 320kbps, or the label was associated with the RIAA. If posting mixes is one day unanimously declared as being illegal, Apple, MySpace, Last.fm, Pandora etc are going to have a lot to answer for - Apple made podcasting mainstream, and all of them have pounced at the opportunity to make the most of the technology, declaring war on the traditional music business in the process. If that's not a mixed message to the consumer I don't know what is.

The practical implications of posting a mix online also depends on what style it is. If you're playing commercial tracks, I'd expect the big labels to come after you, or at least DMCA your ass - look at how disgraceful the behavior of the RIAA has been. Even in this situation, you can stick your mix on zshare or some other file sharing site which effectively absolves you of responsibility since you're not hosting the file. (Morally of course this doesn't always add up, but legally it's the way it goes for most places.) But for independent music (which covers pretty much all dance music that isn't top 40 stuff), the scene isn't large enough that there's big fat tycoons at the top of it watching everyone's every move. It's more flat + wide, with tonnes of artists + labels from all around the world contributing, and often barely making enough money to get by from week to week.

The music industry is in the middle of a revolution, and it's a strange and scary place to be a part of right now for everyone. Good times. :)
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

i cant belive this debate has gone on for so long.

dont put music that u havnt bought or been given by the producer in ur mix.

:STANDARD:
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

here's the 10 second guide:
a1studmuffin wrote:I guarantee if you actually asked the labels/artists none of them would have a problem with it, unless you put the original unmixed track up or posted your mix at 320kbps, or the label was associated with the RIAA.
sAme'0 wrote:i cant belive this debate has gone on for so long.

dont put music that u havnt bought or been given by the producer in ur mix.

:STANDARD:
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

+1 foo/petey

I mean I reckon a in a good mix the end user shouldn't be able to edit a track out to play or whatever anyway.

End to Enders... Thats another story.

-Lachie
"Anybody want some motherfucking Earl Grey?" -Cleveland