Why does the Espy have big breaks acts?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Krispy

Why does the Espy have big breaks acts?

Post by Krispy »

Why does the Espy have big breaks acts? and does anybody even like the espy as a venue? i even heard they have grime playin there too??? What is the deal Does anyone understand this phenomenom!! :? im not trying to say its crap I just want to hear people's opinion!

http://www.myspace.com/djkrispy

Word to ya mom's I came to drop bomb's

lynt

Post by lynt »

Looks fine to me :D

Bring it!
Friday

Post by Friday »

yes people love the venue!

read the last pages of this thread to see what i mean: http://melbournebeats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3817

many people have had their doubts about the venue in the past (read the start of the thread ;) ) and as you can see even those people were swayed by the recent 33&1/3 NYD event at the espy.

the venue has had massive improvements and is continuing to have changes made - all positive.

i personally love it...

:D
yenks

Post by yenks »

i personally preferred the venue 2 years ago with the massive outdoor area, where you could just go and chill out, and also go nuts to the plumps on the massive outdoor stage.

Only gripe with this years one, was that it was soo packed that i felt too confined, and just couldnt relax and feel comfortable at times. and couldnt escape to a nice area where i could sit outside.
menace

Post by menace »

NYD 2006 was off the hook ,no complaints here bring on good friday 33/3 :D
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

yenks wrote:i personally preferred the venue 2 years ago with the massive outdoor area, where you could just go and chill out, and also go nuts to the plumps on the massive outdoor stage.

Only gripe with this years one, was that it was soo packed that i felt too confined, and just couldnt relax and feel comfortable at times. and couldnt escape to a nice area where i could sit outside.
there were heaps of possies out the front Yenksy. I sat on my butt for ages out there 8) could still here the tunes an all :smt023
Friday

Post by Friday »

Lizkins wrote:
yenks wrote:i personally preferred the venue 2 years ago with the massive outdoor area, where you could just go and chill out, and also go nuts to the plumps on the massive outdoor stage.

there were heaps of possies out the front Yenksy. I sat on my butt for ages out there 8) could still here the tunes an all :smt023
true... you could take your drinks out there and hear the music etc...

plus pass out were started super early so that people could go for a wander across the road to the beach / catani gardens if they really needed to get away from it - not many venues have that right on their doorstep! ;) 8)
Krispy

Post by Krispy »

crushed at andy c WOAW!!! 33 1/3 parties have been off the hook but i cant be assed to go to st killda by new years day they need the new years party closer to cbd or in the cbd thats my only beef

breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

why would you want it in the middle of the city?
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Lindemon

Post by Lindemon »

Espy is a wicked venue IMO.
Most packed gig I been to there was Cash Money last year, (was in Byron for New Year's) I must admit it was pretty hard to move around, & took me 20 min to get a drinky in 'da Gersh' but it was alright...

BTW- See ya's @ Katalyst/Fdel/Koolism this friday night @...... ^
"Don't you EVER interrupt me when I'm talking to myself..."
strategem

Post by strategem »

dont like the sound at the espy. Not escpecially fond of the venue myself, but will go where the acts are...
as for your question- they have a smart booking manager, thats why.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

sounds like it is being suggested it is a regular thing. I can only think of two promoters using it for breaks acts. There are a few hip hop gigs there too, but thats about it. It is nice to go to a venue once or twice a year for big parties, makes it different from the week in week out.

Try to suggest somewhere else that has the option of 4 rooms, with that capacity and I am sure the promoters will take it into consideration.

*bay window looking out over port phillip, st kilda sands a stones throw, bouncing dance floor, capatibility for good sound with out to much ring in work...
Krispy

Post by Krispy »

ive been a couple times but was that chemicly altered my brain has no recolection of what i did there exectly i think some sort of fungi's was involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
but honestly id like to see stanton warriors in a better venue i could name a few but people might start calling 4 my head on a plater

numz

Post by numz »

I'm calling for better grammar.

The Espy is fine now and again.
huh
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

lynt wrote:Image

Looks fine to me :D

Bring it!
LOLZ at BRB in that photo :lol:
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

The Espy rocks! You can't fault it now.

Yeah, the back courtyard was awesome while it lasted.. but that was only ever going to be temporary.

Looking forward to another mad Easter 33 and 1/3!
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Sorry my friend, I think you've got it all wrong. The Espy has character, history, vibe and has been upgraded to more than manage the demands of an electronic music event. Every time I go there for a gig it gets better.

Dom B was fucking awesome, the whole room was vibing and the place was electric. Bring on Easter!

8)
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
mrj

Post by mrj »

scriptorific GM

I agree. Variety is the spice of life. Events are not held there that often but when they are it makes a lovely change from all the CBD venues.

I think its a pretty good venue. 8)
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
filta

Post by filta »

Espy is one of only venues that has got soul in this town. Its becoming an institute for quality.
"Change something"
mrj

Post by mrj »

filta wrote:Espy is one of only venues that has got soul in this town. Its becoming an institute for quality.
I think you're confusing it with the ponds institute!
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
filta

Post by filta »

mrj wrote:
filta wrote:Espy is one of only venues that has got soul in this town. Its becoming an institute for quality.
I think you're confusing it with the ponds institute!
:shock: :roll:
"Change something"
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I like the Espy
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

No complaints from me except the sound isn't too flash hot down in the lower bar room where all the locals usually play (whatever that room's called). Main room's cool, Gershwin room rules and that new upstairs bit where I saw Lucas play last shindig was one of the coolest rooms I've ever been in before (such a great view). I think it's an awesome place to see a show and have been meaning to get down there for a live show since I moved to this city. I like the Espy more than the Prince and that says a lot, since I've been to a billion 33 and 1/3's at the Prince.
8)
deviant

Post by deviant »

The sound was fine in there on NYD '06.....

NEXO PS15 all the way... ridiculous amount of foldback 8)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

deviant wrote:The sound was fine in there on NYD '06.....

I totally and completely stand corrected then. Hadn't been in there with the new system and had no idea it was in there. With that, any complaint I had about the place has been squashed. It rules outright!!!
8)
Krispy

Post by Krispy »

I Stand corrected. I can see there is alot of support 4 the place so i will be more responsive to going in the future!~!!!! see you at easter

numz

Post by numz »

huh
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

You have to be kidding mate? Smallest Nexo rig I've seen in my life... and foldback kept giving massive amounts of feedback into the mic's. The stage was set up all wrong, no room for the DJ's, let alone the MC's - but for some reason there was a tonne of room in front between the monitors and the decks...

I love the Espie and I'm a big fan of 33 1/3 parties - but that room (whilst an improvement on the previous year) still left a bit to be desired in my honest opinion.
Lindemon

Post by Lindemon »

Krispy wrote:I Stand corrected. I can see there is alot of support 4 the place so i will be more responsive to going in the future!~!!!! see you at easter
Nice to see that you have found the spell check function also... :lol:

Spewing I cant go to Katalyst/Koolism/Fdel tonight, too crook with the flu... :cry: :cry:
I've been looking forward to this gig for ages, arrgghhh! the irony...
"Don't you EVER interrupt me when I'm talking to myself..."
deviant

Post by deviant »

Direktor wrote:

You have to be kidding mate? Smallest Nexo rig I've seen in my life... and foldback kept giving massive amounts of feedback into the mic's. The stage was set up all wrong, no room for the DJ's, let alone the MC's - but for some reason there was a tonne of room in front between the monitors and the decks...

I love the Espie and I'm a big fan of 33 1/3 parties - but that room (whilst an improvement on the previous year) still left a bit to be desired in my honest opinion.
While not a massive NEXO ALPHA it still kicks.... + mic was not an issue for me (no MC). Maybe the stage could've been set up better space wise but "Meh" wasn't a prob for me. Only gripe was that there was no seperate control for the foldback.