Commonwealth Games

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
elysium

Post by elysium »

cool, thanks Dust :smt023

Duck explained :D
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
mrj

Post by mrj »

Kilgore_Trout wrote:Didn't see the ceremony, but saw in the paper that they used the W-class trams and CONDUCTORS as part of it.
WTF!?
They sacked all the conductors, replaced them with shitty machines, and then imply that they're somehow part of Melbourne culture. :?
an excellent point. 8)
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

nice article that sums up most of the cynicism perfectly:
http://www.crikey.com.au/articles/2006/ ... -6927.html
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
Prontoid

Post by Prontoid »

elysium wrote:Weren't there two ducks - the real duck he carried and the mechanical duck that metamorphosed into that flying goose-woman.

What was with all the ducks?

I was waiting for Plucka Duck to come out - what a dissapointment
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

witty_pseudonym wrote:it's a nice poem and all...but what does it have to do with the games?

:confused:

I was thinking that the whole way through

:smt017

and I whole-heartedly agree with bobinabottle's post.
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
elysium

Post by elysium »

^^^ :smt045 :smt023
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
quick

Post by quick »

Assies 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the pool, Stephanie Rice getting AUS the first gold for the games thus far...

GO AUSSIES!!!!!!!!!!!!
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
killeye

Post by killeye »

Yea! Big up the Meares sisters on the bikes! Gold and Bronze!

I'm going to have a squizz at the time trails (cycling) on Beaconsfield pde next week...can't beat the vibe...stuff you whingers :wink:
"That's my desire, keep pushing, keep striving"

killeye myspace
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Rubgy 7's was dope :D

I represented for my three countries: NZ, Fiji & Aus. The smaller African nations were great.. such big hearts 8)

bobinabottle

Post by bobinabottle »

it was my first shift of volunteering tonight so i couldn't go and see jimmy cliff which i was disappointed about - but instead on my way home from volunteering i saw Wicked Aura Batucada at fed square

it was fuckn awesome - go melbourne festival and all its free entertainment THATS what makes me love melbourne so much

http://m2006.com.au/Festival+Melbourne2 ... tucada.htm

also, on their site they have a few videos, for the peeps that miss them heres a taste of what you missed:

http://www.wickedaura.com/Videos/womads ... 202005.mpg
quick

Post by quick »

Fents... still up for some table tennis action?
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Nice one Fi.

How good does the MCG look ?

:green:
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

ADD_Boy wrote:Nice one Fi.

Hey Luke :D

It's actually the Telstra Dome :D . First time i been near the revamped Spencer St station too... looks so different.. I :love: Melbourne :D
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

stovequeen wrote:
ADD_Boy wrote:Nice one Fi.

Hey Luke :D

It's actually the Telstra Dome :D . First time i been near the revamped Spencer St station too... looks so different.. I :love: Melbourne :D
Der.. Just noticed the roof.

Nice!!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

stovequeen wrote:Rubgy 7's was dope :D

I represented for my three countries: NZ, Fiji & Aus. The smaller African nations were great.. such big hearts 8)
You crafty girl!!

Pretty much got all abses covered haven't you?
Don't hate me for house
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

jbs wrote:

You crafty girl!!

Hehe.. just turns out i spent my life in three of the best 7's countries :wink: (tho Aus got pipped by the Poms last night :? )
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

In 7s???? Jesus.
Don't hate me for house
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

jbs wrote:In 7s???? Jesus.
yar.. malfunction of sorts :roll: :lol:

So many kiwis there last night mate. Felt like i was in AKL or CHCH :D
marcus

Post by marcus »

stovequeen wrote:
jbs wrote:

You crafty girl!!

Hehe.. just turns out i spent my life in three of the best 7's countries :wink: (tho Aus got pipped by the Poms last night :? )
Disappointed I missed it. Apparantly the Australians were down to five players at one stage. As a result we play South Africa in the Quarter Final (who were beaten by Tonga I think).

Fiji look the goods to me.

EDIT: Just re-read it, you lucky girl! Wish I'd gone along.
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

marcus wrote:
stovequeen wrote:
jbs wrote: You crafty girl!!

Disappointed I missed it. Apparantly the Australians were down to five players at one stage. As a result we play South Africa in the Quarter Final (who were beaten by Tonga I think).

Fiji look the goods to me.

EDIT: Just re-read it, you lucky girl! Wish I'd gone along.
Yeah... Aus got a yellow card.. went down to 6 players.. but he was the played was back on field when they conceded a try.

South Africa were looking strong when they played last night. Aus will need to pull their socks up if they want to be in with a chance.

The game of the night was Tonga v Uganda. The little known African team pulled one up on the Tongans and finished with a 10 point lead. Their tears of joy were priceless. Seemed like the whole stadium was behind them.. was wicked!

No luck involved in getting to the game Marcus. Ticket purchases were easy, only $15. There are still tickets to todays games ($11) and the finals tonight ($45). :D :D :D
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

stovequeen wrote:First time i been near the revamped Spencer St station too... looks so different..
:nono: Southern Cross station. :P
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

We didn't place in the 400m free last night! I think we had won the event something like 17 out of a possible 19 times in the past!

It's a bit sad with no Thorpey or Hackett in the mix these Games.
Focus

Post by Focus »

system wrote:
stovequeen wrote:First time i been near the revamped Spencer St station too... looks so different..
They should have just kept it Spencer St, dont like this southern cross shit.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Focus wrote:
system wrote:
They should have just kept it Spencer St, dont like this southern cross shit.
me neither. its fuckin bollocks.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/ ... 04535.html

3 page article about the duck (And reactions from Aus and around the world)

Very ambigous though.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

I love the fact that Mike D from the beastie boys represents australia in shooting ;)
There's no justice, just us.
mrj

Post by mrj »

aspekt wrote:I love the fact that Mike D from the beastie boys represents australia in shooting ;)
"strap on the ear goggles and I'm ready to go"
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

FUCK THE GAMES AND IT'S BULLSHIT MAINTENANCE OF IMPERIALIST VALUES AND HISTORY WHICH FACILITATED THE SLAVE TRADE, THE RAPE OF AFRICA AND SOUTH AMERICA, AND THE CONDITIONING OF A WORLD SYSTEM IN WHICH EXPLOITATION THRU NEO-COLONIALISM THRIVES THROUGH POWER AND TRADE RELATIONS WHICH ENSURE THE '3RD WORLD' WILL CONTINUE TO SUFFER AT THE EXPENSE OF WEALTHY WESTERN CAPITALISTS

stick that up ya commonwealth :teef:
andspace

Post by andspace »

Sustain wrote:FUCK THE GAMES AND IT'S BULLSHIT MAINTENANCE OF IMPERIALIST VALUES AND HISTORY WHICH FACILITATED THE SLAVE TRADE, THE RAPE OF AFRICA AND SOUTH AMERICA, AND THE CONDITIONING OF A WORLD SYSTEM IN WHICH EXPLOITATION THRU NEO-COLONIALISM THRIVES THROUGH POWER AND TRADE RELATIONS WHICH ENSURE THE '3RD WORLD' WILL CONTINUE TO SUFFER AT THE EXPENSE OF WEALTHY WESTERN CAPITALISTS

I hear a Rage Against The Machine quote coming on, but will renege.
The right to voice ones opinions through free speech is diminishing, so how bout you also offer some alternatives to our misguided ways while you still can. Should we maybe revert to a fascist dictatorship to reconcile world suffering?
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

andspace wrote:
Sustain wrote:FUCK THE GAMES AND IT'S BULLSHIT MAINTENANCE OF IMPERIALIST VALUES AND HISTORY WHICH FACILITATED THE SLAVE TRADE, THE RAPE OF AFRICA AND SOUTH AMERICA, AND THE CONDITIONING OF A WORLD SYSTEM IN WHICH EXPLOITATION THRU NEO-COLONIALISM THRIVES THROUGH POWER AND TRADE RELATIONS WHICH ENSURE THE '3RD WORLD' WILL CONTINUE TO SUFFER AT THE EXPENSE OF WEALTHY WESTERN CAPITALISTS

I hear a Rage Against The Machine quote coming on, but will renege.
The right to voice ones opinions through free speech is diminishing, so how bout you also offer some alternatives to our misguided ways while you still can. Should we maybe revert to a fascist dictatorship to reconcile world suffering?
You're cooking what for dinner?
strategem

Post by strategem »

these games are a fucking insult, an outrage and an atrocity. All hiding behind the guise of a very naughty thing.
Never have I seen waste on such a massive scale. I'm disgusted. All this to try and make Melbourne look more appealing to the rest of the world. Here is an idea for appealing. Take that $100+ million and spend it on education and health care. A city like ours is already fairly appealing, but add to that a decent (or at leasted better) education system and enough hospital beds and staff to actually treat everyone who needs it and we would be the most appealing place on the planet.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
quick

Post by quick »

Yay for the games.... GO AUSSIES!!!!!!!!!!!!
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

How good was the end of the women's marathon? that was fucking epic. I feel sorry for the chick who came second. I can't imagine too many people in the mcg were wanting her to win over an aussie.

respecognise to that bloke who came last in the men's marathon. what a champ!
quick

Post by quick »

The weightlifting was great to watch....
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

I noticed something last night that bothered me...

The Olympic Games are about the whole world coming together, all walks of life, all economic backgrounds etc.

The Commonwealth Games are about commonwealth countries coming together. Countries that all suckle from the teat of one nation...England.

Notice how Australia's winning buckets of medals over everyone else?? Notice all the poorer countries not coming in anywhere on the rankings?? Why the fuck should they ever bother coming to compete when we'll kick their asses every single time?? It's not that we're better athletes naturally, it's all about the Aussies having the money and the backing to buy training and equipment that other countries don't get. The games aren't fair! We may all come from the one monarchy but talk about more for some than others. It was like that at school and it's the same on a global scale. The kids who's parents could afford proper basketball shoes, or tennis racquets were the kids who won medals.

That sucks.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
quick

Post by quick »

The Mixtress wrote:I noticed something last night that bothered me...

The Olympic Games are about the whole world coming together, all walks of life, all economic backgrounds etc.

The Commonwealth Games are about commonwealth countries coming together. Countries that all suckle from the teat of one nation...England.

Notice how Australia's winning buckets of medals over everyone else?? Notice all the poorer countries not coming in anywhere on the rankings?? Why the fuck should they ever bother coming to compete when we'll kick their asses every single time?? It's not that we're better athletes naturally, it's all about the Aussies having the money and the backing to buy training and equipment that other countries don't get. The games aren't fair! We may all come from the one monarchy but talk about more for some than others. It was like that at school and it's the same on a global scale. The kids who's parents could afford proper basketball shoes, or tennis racquets were the kids who won medals.

That sucks.
Like the Olympic games, the Commonwealth games is more about personal achievement, and representing your country, not necessarily your country beating others overall. Certainly the team events are country vs country, but it still comes down to the achievment of the team.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

It is about pride, I'll grant you that, but it's also about glory. I'd feel pretty shitty if none of my team mates or myself managed to win anything over another country. We are to the Commonwealth Games what the U.S is to the Olympics.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Daylight saving time has been extended by a week due to Games. YAY!!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

ADD_Boy wrote:Daylight saving time has been extended by a week due to Games. YAY!!
you fuckin serious? i thought that was a joke.
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

The Mixtress wrote: Notice how Australia's winning buckets of medals over everyone else?? Notice all the poorer countries not coming in anywhere on the rankings?? Why the fuck should they ever bother coming to compete when we'll kick their asses every single time?? It's not that we're better athletes naturally, it's all about the Aussies having the money and the backing to buy training and equipment that other countries don't get. The games aren't fair! We may all come from the one monarchy but talk about more for some than others. It was like that at school and it's the same on a global scale. The kids who's parents could afford proper basketball shoes, or tennis racquets were the kids who won medals.

That sucks.
sorry but that's life.
That said, it's not supposed to be about winning which is why no country "wins" the games. I don't think it really matters if you win or lose, the fact that these random islands with a population of 1500 send 35 people or so to compete is awesome. Just look at the guy who came last in the men's marathon. that guy is a champ. He lost by a mile but he had the determination to finish. That's what the games spirit is supposed to be about.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Yeah I get that...I just wish everyone had a fair starting point. Just seems we're stealing everyone else's glory. There's not much on the telly besides Australian gold.

Don't get me wrong, Aussie gold is aces.
quick

Post by quick »

The Mixtress wrote:Yeah I get that...I just wish everyone had a fair starting point. Just seems we're stealing everyone else's glory. There's not much on the telly besides Australian gold.

Don't get me wrong, Aussie gold is aces.
Mixie, smaller countries win gold medals, just not as many. The glory isn't just winning, the glory is competing as well.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

^^Yeah, and how many Aussies were in the event^^

I just feel bad for em... :cry: I know you guys are all giving me excellent reasons not to, but I do anyway.
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

the Commonwealth games could be worse, they could still be calling them the Empire games!
quotient

Post by quotient »

i dunno if any of you have been watching the hockey, or are even interested, but trinidad & tobago have got one of the best players i think i've ever seen playing for them.

never mind that they're losing 8-1 or whatever, Kwandwane Browne is fucking sublime. trinidad would be hard pressed to make a champions trophy or a world cup, but the commonwealth games give them a chance to get out there and mix it with the best. plus if i can see a magnificent motherfucker like this play hockey, then more power to them.
quick

Post by quick »

Anyone watch the 5000m last night? great race...
lynt

Post by lynt »

Saw the highlights. Been digging the Games when I catch it. I love watching people compete.

Such an awesome thing to do.
quick

Post by quick »

lynt wrote:Saw the highlights. Been digging the Games when I catch it. I love watching people compete.

Such an awesome thing to do.
WORD

8)
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

So when are the duck races on ?? :teef:
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
lynt

Post by lynt »

Those skeet shooters were amazing. Half a second, spotted, fired, destroyed.