33&1/3 Good Friday - 14th April - line up announced!!

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Awesome photos and reviews :D 8)

You all looked like you had a fuckin ball! :D Rad stuff!
mecka

Post by mecka »

Tony Coleman makes me want to touch myself. And the people around me.
dust

Post by dust »

mecka wrote:Tony Coleman makes me want to touch myself. And the people around me.
Yep, its those glasses, they seem to have that effect on everyone.
lynt

Post by lynt »

dust wrote:
mecka wrote:Tony Coleman makes me want to touch myself. And the people around me.
Fuck that, it was his camo on white BAPEstas that got me motivated for touching.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

dust wrote:
and that awesome dancing he had gwarn.

pitty this one was blurry. far too much shaking.

one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Friday

Post by Friday »

tony coleman left a wet patch in my groin area - literally.

he knocked over two beers and a vodka orange straight into my lap.

:roll: :P :lol:
dust

Post by dust »

^^ I saw that L. He walked into the room really drunk and sat down on a beer!!

He was such a funny drunk, he was talking to me on stage and not one word of what he was saying made sense! After a while I just started nodding anyway.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Friday wrote:tony coleman left a wet patch in my groin area - literally.

he knocked over two beers and a vodka orange straight into my lap.

:roll: :P :lol:
Happy 2,000 miss :smt038
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

Thanks heaps for the hook up Agent mad I had an awesome time playing and was stoked to be playing before OG and to be involved with a gig with such good production. The set up was awesome

Unfortunately I had to bail early, just when everything was warming up, but it sounds like one less heavy drinker would hardly have gone un noticed!!

Peace!
Friday

Post by Friday »

dust wrote:^^ I saw that L. He walked into the room really drunk and sat down on a beer!!
yeah i know! it was on that bench seat and he came to sit next to me and as he swung his leg over it knocked all the drinks that were sitting there straight onto me! he did it again later to someone else too - i can't remember who (hazy :oops:).
dust wrote:He was such a funny drunk, he was talking to me on stage and not one word of what he was saying made sense! After a while I just started nodding anyway.
i know! he got very huggy too. hilarious drunk! :lol:
stovequeen wrote:
Happy 2,000 miss :smt038
ohhhhh!!! thanks!! hehe - what a funny post to be my 2k!!
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I applaud you all. I spent the day at...ahem, church. God's on my side now.
:D
MilkyBar

Post by MilkyBar »

dust wrote:^^ I saw that L. He walked into the room really drunk and sat down on a beer!!

He was such a funny drunk, he was talking to me on stage and not one word of what he was saying made sense! After a while I just started nodding anyway.
lol. he got wasted in singapore a year ago in zouk.. was hilarious... no spillages... but i managed to get him to eat a really spicy small chilli. :twisted:
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

I knocked up a review a couple of days after the event which I thought I'd share with y'all....

33 1/3 EASTER

Rushing out of the taxi through the ever-increasing downpour, I paused to take in the facade of the Espy in all its battle scared glory. Something inside me enjoys the juxtaposition of climbing the stairs to this iconic place of rock n roll worship whilst hearing the guttural thump of heavy basslines emanating from within. It's almost as if you can capture the inexorable evolution of music culture mixed with a historic reverence for the days of yore, but only in your peripheral vision or perhaps as a muffled conversation you can't quite catch.

Walking through the doors I was immediately assaulted by the pristine basslines from the Front Bar as Brewster B was midway through "Overneath" by Aquasky & Meat Katie. The first thing that hit me was the quality of the sound. It was both thick and heavy, yet also clear and clean with high notes and subtelties not lost amidst the throb of the bass. Having taken in the initial landscape, the next destination was the semi-infamous booth that had become headquarters for previous engagements at The Espy and the inevitable epicentre of mayhem for tonight's festivities. Following the usual round of greetings, hugs, backslaps and excited conversations, laced with enthusiasm for what was to follow, it was off to the bar for a preparatory Gin & Tonic.

The crowd continued to grow as darkness overwhelmed St Kilda and the rain continued unabaited. It was time to establish an appropriate vantage point to catch Uberzone, bouyant with anticipation at the spectacle I was about take in. Taking to the stage with an exuberance and passion that showed his clear love for the music he plays and produces, Uberzone began proceedings by building "Mad World" by Tears For Fears into a crushing tribal groove that continued unrelenteningly through some of his classic tunes, including "Black Widow", "Fuego" and "Cous Cous". It was a truly amazing experience to witness such a highly-regarded producer tear through productions spanning his entire career as he pounded the drum pads with unwavering abandon and astonishing precision. Watching the crowd react to such a spectacle from the staircase was akin to witnessing a true tribal gathering as both performer and audience fed of each other as the set built to a stunning conclusion. It was going to be hard to top Uberzone for such an intoxicating combination of brutal exuberance and indelible skill.

A-Skillz stepped up to the decks, giving me a much needed break after damn near destroying myself dancing to Uberzone. Taking it back to the more funky end of the breakbeat spectrum, A-Skillz demonstrated the flexibility and sheer range of options that mastery of Ableton Live offers an artist with the talent and vision to stretch the boundaries. As he built his set with a diverse range of musical rarities, crowd pleasers, accapellas and sly bootlegs, it was great to be able to sit back and enjoy a musical banquet that ended in an aural food fight as the hungry crowd spectacularly responded to Rage Against The Machine's epic, "Killing In The Name". It was heartening to hear a party set accepted so well without the need to define it with the inevitable genre boundaries that exist within electronica.

Next on the agenda was Lynt, a man with an enormous collection of musical gems and the tried and tested ability to grab this night by the scruff of the neck and drag it to new levels. As only a quality player can do, Lynt seemlessly grew his set from the party-tinged flavours of A-Skillz toward the dark and twisted late night stylings of BLIM. Basing his set around a heady mix of new releases, timeless classics and some of his own productions, Lynt took the crowd on a bassline journey through the realm of breakbeat. Stone cold classics such as PMT's remix of "Voices", Player One's "Into The Darkness" and the still amazing "The Sermon" by Rennie Pilgrem and Dub Species built excitement and anticipation levels to a growing crescendo.

It was time for one of Melbourne's favourite internationals to grace the decks. As only a true professional can do, BLIM announced his arrival to the stage by dropping Gnarl's Barkly's "Crazy", almost as if to draw the crowd from its reverie and announce a change of pace. Following this with his Miami electro-flavoured production "My Signal Fluctuates", BLIM proceeded to demonstrate why his incredibly tight mixing, sense of theatre and track selection have made him such a welcome addition to any Melbourne party. Bouncing around behind the decks, BLIM tore through some amazing tracks from Roxiller, Chris Carter, Addicted, Vlad and many of his London contemporaries, whilst also throwing in some classic cuts from his extensive back catalogue. His precision mixing and clear passion wowed a packed house in the Front Bar, particularly when he climaxed his set with Icehouse's "Great Southern Land".

As the night descended into fractured conversations, strange hilarity and booth-defying antics from all and sundry (as nights tend to do) it slowly became time to brave the brutal onshore seabreezes and disreputable transport systems as the comfort of couches, heaters and tracksuit pants beckoned to weary legs, disjointed heads and smiling faces. As early morning conversations turned to the night that had past it was clear (in a hazy way) that the nights festitivies had whet the diverse musical palettes of all in attendance. Drifting off into contended sleep, my mind kept considering the one thought that there's something inherently fulfilling and deeply satisfying about forgetting who you are, where you're going and what you're doing and opening yourself to the sheer joy and deep resonance of quality live music.
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Well fuckin done Mr GM, take a bow dude :D :smt038 :D :smt038
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

very impressive review mr magnet.

looks like good times were had all round. :D
lynt

Post by lynt »

Mad review G_M, proper love in there, innit!
Blueprint

Post by Blueprint »

GM with the vocab! Nice review mate..

Thought A Skillz and Uberzone rocked it.. loved the drum roll.. Lyntos and BLIM always in fine form, thought Space DJz totally missed the mark.. Air Chicken crowd surfing a highlight.. :)
(A Skillz was using Serato)
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Big ups and mad respect to the 33 crew behind these parties. Made some difficult decisions all for the greater good of putting on a quality party. rezpect

I know I must have mentioned it a kajillion times on the night but that sound in the front room was in my most humble opinion as good as sound gets. Just absolutely blown away with the clarity and depth of that setup. Big ups to sound production/engineers and I fucking :smt049 NEXO!!!!

Nice, entertaining review GM. :wink: It's nice to read a review from someone who actually knows and loves what they are talking about unlike some other major national "nameless" dance site. You even talked about the music Mr Magnet which I would have thought was reasonably important in doing a "Beats Party" review. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here’s my review: :teef:
Once again UBERZONE ruled!!! :twisted:
BLIM was totally awesome as expected
A Skills was the big suprise for me with a brilliant display of how to throw down a BIG party set.
Lynt as expected always throwing down the quality beats n basslines.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

I had a great time (wrote myself off almost an hour after entering the venue). apologies to everyone I trampled or knocked over at any point.

best bit was Sean, Karl and Lex. loved BLIM's closing tune too - it's been a while since I've hread Icehouse really loud.

it was excellent getting to meet some of the faces behind the MB.C masks (Glenn, Josh, Lucas, Luke, Nik, Nat, Ollie, Sal and anyone else I met). hope to get to actually talk at some length to you guys in the future. same goes to any friends I saw - I don't know what must have come out pretending to be conversation. great to see SQ out and about.

thanks again. :wave:
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Nice one mate... cigars a plenty :)
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

I've uploaded a few pics at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lilstormer ... 111004689/

here's a small sample...

Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.
lynt

Post by lynt »

BLIM looking mightly impressed... :lol:

Oh, Sal, don't forget to add them to the Breakbeat Flickr pool!
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

lynt wrote:BLIM looking mightly impressed... :lol:
I think he was honoured to share the stage with the legendary air chicken.

BTW Lynt - your set at 33 was my fave set of yours ever... props to you :smt038
lynt

Post by lynt »

Aw thanks :oops:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Air Chicken was invited up on stage

:roll:
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

breaksRbest wrote:

be sure to get your invoice in mate :D :P
lynt

Post by lynt »

breaksRbest wrote:

Well of course! :roll:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

stovequeen wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:

I play for the :smt049 of it

;)
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
lynt

Post by lynt »

breaksRbest wrote:
stovequeen wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:

;)
That's what they all say, but wait until the record purchases and taxi charges increase. :lol:
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Sash - Great to finally meet u too man !! Me and Natty tuned in to PBS the other night to listen to you ... "Unfortunately we are unable to contact System and he will not be playing tonight" :lol: u shonk !! I wouldn't have been able to do anything that day either...

Sal, Great shots. Farken hell there are some gurners in there!! God knows what I'm doing in some of them...

Air Chicken !!! U rock !!!

Haven't really posted in here yet.

I had a great day . I was absolutely FLOGGED sideways !!!!

Uberzone, LE (didn't see much), BLIM & Lynt did it for me.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
marcus

Post by marcus »

Great photos Sal. Will need to get some of those hi res so they can be posted in the album :wink: .
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

lynt wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:
stovequeen wrote: be sure to get your invoice in mate :D :P

;)
That's what they all say, but wait until the record purchases and taxi charges increase. :lol:
Air Chicken don't need rekkids. :lol:
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

ADD_Boy wrote:Sash - Great to finally meet u too man !! Me and Natty tuned in to PBS the other night to listen to you ... "Unfortunately we are unable to contact System and he will not be playing tonight" :lol: u shonk !! I wouldn't have been able to do anything that day either...
short cut of a long story: had a very old mate's buck's night pre-PBS. some devious mates found out about the radio, then proceeded to load me with copious shots and ended up totally legless. still living that one down (and there are photos I am trying to stop going on the 'net).

I-am-a-shonk. :oops:
ADD_Boy wrote:Sal, Great shots.
:scr1pt: awesome results! I thought would the lighting would have been hell.
dust

Post by dust »

Nice photos Sal. I look blurry, which is how i looked in the mirror later that evening.

:lol:

@ Luke. You were classic that day. Everytime I saw you you had a massive smile on your face. I'm guessing you had a good time.

And Guy, it was good to finally chat to you. I'm sure we'll do it again some time. :D
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

dust wrote:Nice photos Sal. I look blurry, which is how i looked in the mirror later that evening.

:lol:

@ Luke. You were classic that day. Everytime I saw you you had a massive smile on your face. I'm guessing you had a good time.

And Guy, it was good to finally chat to you. I'm sure we'll do it again some time. :D
hey G, if you want any high res copies let me know lady
gnat

Post by gnat »

Great shots Sal! Sorry for random banter which likely made zero sense whatsoever. Wasn't planned that way... :?

Sash, you were F.I.N.I.S.H.E.D when I ran into you. Nevermind though- my finale wasn't far behind you :P

Air Chicken pWNS for sure. Standard that he'd do a Vs with BLIM.

Such a fun day. My brain hurts still.

Rewind!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

:smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038

Another wicked 33.3rd :D . Big ups Agent Mad and MB possie :D

Set highlights of day: Uberzone, BLIM, Lynt & London Electricity & MC Wrec :love:

Maximum respect goes to the Mad sound crew, Espy staff and all friendly little bunnies i ran into :D

:smt023 :smt049
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

stovequeen wrote::smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038

Set highlights of day: Uberzone, BLIM, Lynt & London Electricity & MC Wrec :love:

Maximum respect goes to the Mad sound crew, Espy staff and all friendly little bunnies i ran into :D

You on acid again Fi? :lol: :D
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Lizkins wrote:

Who me? :P
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

stovequeen wrote:
Lizkins wrote:

Who me? :P

:lol: nice one babe 8)
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

love the 33 parties, the rain did not damper the vibe in the place one bit....

big ups to the MCs on the night Wrec and Verse who definitely kept me entertained... djs, not a big breaks head but uberzone were def entertaining.....love dem drums... sean deans "come mr dj won't u turn the music up", excellent as always, LE was proper....

other than that, it was all a blur....
ImageImage
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

TheOperatives wrote:it was all a blur....
you know it. in-POON-cievable how anyone else managed.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

tony coleman dropping cold fresh air cyantific remix.

omg boh tune. boh
www.dubstep.com.au
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:tony coleman dropping cold fresh air cyantific remix.

omg boh tune. boh
is that hugh ... saying he ... liked a tune ... and it wasn't psytrance or inperspective/bassbin?

:shock:
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

cold fresh air rmx or stfu

:teef:
www.dubstep.com.au
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

chinstroker

myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

stick this in your beard and stroke it.

i cant think of anything right now. check back later.

www.dubstep.com.au
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

On a less wordy level, I had an absolute ball, was great to hang out with the usual suspects and meet someone new ones... Sash was a pleasure meeting you and sharing some kind of flogged logic, I have no idea what we discussed but I'm sure it was deep and earth shattering!

To all those i gurned on or plurred all over I apologise profusely, I set out to be a unit and a unit I was. Photographic evidence tells the story really...

Much love to the booth crew, it was well and truly debaucherous in every shade. Until next time...

:D
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
Brain

Post by Brain »

[Mod Edit: Removed]
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Brain wrote:Had a great time last Friday.

Dust was playing when I turned up - mmmm funky drum n bass.

Then had the pleasure of seeing four great acts in a row: Uberzone, A Skillz, Karl and Blim.

Mighty fine tuneage from all.

And big-ups to both the booth and stairs crews - fun fun fun :D
big ups to dance floor partners :wink: :D