the most ridiculous thing in a long time

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
factory worker

the most ridiculous thing in a long time

Post by factory worker »

killeye wrote:
factory worker wrote:
Friday wrote: this is the most ridiculous thing i have heard in a long time.

writing a review for an event is a JOB and not an excuse to get a free ride for you and a mate to party. treat it professionally or don't do it at all. all of the pro writers such as cyclone for herald sun or andy drever for the age don't even ask for this.

you are meant to be writing about the performance of the acts and the pro and cons of how the party was put together - if you can't do this without a drinking buddy you should re-think your ability to do it at all.

:?
actually writing is a passion - much like DJ'ing or producing music.
professional means getting paid. do your afore mentioned reviewers get paid?
and I disagree about the buddy thing, one of the biggest factors involved in a gig is vibe. why should a reviewer go to show by themselves. do you go to shows by yourself? and drinking buddy is a very speculative comment which has nothing to do with my ability.
'Payment' is entry to the gig. And people do get paid for their passions-be that writing or producing music!

I go to parties by myself all the time and it does not have any impact on the 'vibe.' The vibe comes from the performers and the overall feel within the venue.
Talk about missing the point here Kill Eye. Friday claimed asking or expecting a Plus One entry is not what professional reviewers do.
Not all reviewers are on a payroll. They get a Plus One - which in effect costs nothing for the promoter unless its a sell out gig in which case they have quite possibly broken even - if the maths was done right.
Of course people get paid for their passions - that wasn't in question at all.

The most ridiculous think I have heard in a long time? Expecting a reviewer to attend an event by themselves. Tell me why a reviewer should feel good about going to a gig by them self (for free) on their own time and write a review for free after the event and submit it with no other reward or recognition other than having their name at the bottom of the review.

Payment is not entry to the gig. Do the doorbitches, lighting tech/ VJ's DJ's get payment as entry to the gig?

I've been involved in many facets of the entertainment industry and know full well that bribes, freebies and payola are methods used by promoters, publishers, and music companies to hype, create awareness or otherwise publicise their product.
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
breaksRbest

Re: the most ridiculous thing in a long time

Post by breaksRbest »

factory worker wrote: Expecting a reviewer to attend an event by themselves. Tell me why a reviewer should feel good about going to a gig by them self (for free) on their own time and write a review for free after the event and submit it with no other reward or recognition other than having their name at the bottom of the review.

I thought it was a 'passion'?
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

this hardly deserves it's own thread. :?

get over it.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Who do you review for?
killeye

Re: the most ridiculous thing in a long time

Post by killeye »

factory worker wrote: Tell me why a reviewer should feel good about going to a gig by them self (for free) on their own time and write a review for free after the event and submit it with no other reward or recognition other than having their name at the bottom of the review.
You mentioned it yourself, its called passion.
"That's my desire, keep pushing, keep striving"

killeye myspace
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

witty_pseudonym wrote:this hardly deserves it's own thread. :?

get over it.
Lucas may disagree with you. It certainly should be adressed in it's own thread. Feel free to ignore it.
breaksRbest wrote:
factory worker wrote: Expecting a reviewer to attend an event by themselves. Tell me why a reviewer should feel good about going to a gig by them self (for free) on their own time and write a review for free after the event and submit it with no other reward or recognition other than having their name at the bottom of the review.

There was some agreement on the original thread that producing music, DJ'ing writin whatever are passions that some people get paid for. You think DJ Shadow hates what he does, or travels the world as a volunteer broken beat misisonary.
Direktor wrote:Who do you review for?
That’s not relevant. The point I was trying to make was the irony of a local promoter who declines Plus One entry for reviewers has become involved in a collective putting on a night called Plus One.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

EAT BALLS !!!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Shadow said he'd only play if they gave him a Plus One

show could be cancelled kids :(
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

didn't you just go through the usual guest list bizzo FW?

or do reviewers go through other channels?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

factory worker wrote:
That’s not relevant. The point I was trying to make was the irony of a local promoter who declines Plus One entry for reviewers has become involved in a collective putting on a night called Plus One.
As much as everyone is attacking you and I'm not just jumping onboard, I think it's definately relevent. (PS... it's all so easy to say you write reviews and ask for freebies, but what are you really offering in return -- not you personally?)

If I was a promoter (which I have been), I'd be very hesitant in handing out 'freebies' to any publication that I haven't heard of or don't rate.

On the other hand, if promoters aren't kicking out a couple of freebies to a well regarded publication then I'm all for what you're saying.
Obviously it's their call, but at the end of the day if they get good exposure for a couple of freebies (who may not have turned up initially) then that's a decent trade in my book.

PS: whilst it'd be relevent to my view, if you'd rather not reveal - no worries.
Last edited by Direkt on Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

its a good publications if i recall correctly.

not sure what all the haters are for though :?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

factory worker wrote:That’s not relevant. The point I was trying to make was the irony of a local promoter who declines Plus One entry for reviewers has become involved in a collective putting on a night called Plus One.
eh, what's it matter anyway? they're locals too, not shadowesque superstars. why not just get down there, cough up the few bucks required, and have a good time? for you, surely it's just the difference between another beer and not, a couple of bottles of coke, better brands vs. normal stuff at the supermarket ...
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Isn't it like $12.00 ??

Come on !!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

true. you on da guestlist?
Friday

Post by Friday »

writing may be a passion but writing a review for an event for publication is a job.

in my opinion no self respecting promoter should give plus ones to all it's reviewers. it pisses me off that people expect this.

when i a new pair of sneakers get's reviewed in a magazine do you think they send the mag a pair for the reviewer to write about, and then chuck in an extra pair for his girlfriend? :?

for an average 33&1/3 gig (prince size show) we would give out about 25 tickets for reviewers / photographers / interviewers. if all of these were +1 it at a $40 ticket price, it would be $1000 of extra possible income that would not be possible to make back when a show sells out. with the tight margins that events run on this would no doubt increase the ticket prices.

it has always been industry standard that the entry price to an event is fair trade for a review of an event, if you think otherwise then perhaps it's not something that you should be looking at doing as i don't see this changing. this has been my experience in working for companies such as creative entertainment big day out for three years, a year with coppel and 5 years at agent mad. leading up to a large 33&1/3 event i would get on average of 15 emails / calls a day with people telling my why they deserve free tickets for one reason or another and i'm sorry but i just don't buy it.

entry to the event should be more than enough compensation.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

who you review for is completely relevant factory worker.

Promoters have every right in the world to deny a +1 regardless of what their party is called.
factory worker wrote:
witty_pseudonym wrote:this hardly deserves it's own thread. :?

get over it.
Lucas may disagree with you. It certainly should be adressed in it's own thread. Feel free to ignore it.
breaksRbest wrote:

There was some agreement on the original thread that producing music, DJ'ing writin whatever are passions that some people get paid for. You think DJ Shadow hates what he does, or travels the world as a volunteer broken beat misisonary.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

man this is annoying, i can see both sides. but i can kinda see more Lucie's side of this one FW. i do see the irony. but get your "plus one" and a mate to go through guest list. sorted.
deviant

Post by deviant »

We were quite straight up about the fact that we DO NOT DO DOOR LISTS..... We have been somewhat forced into doing door lists because of bitches like this. The amount of people that used to come to the door at our gigs and demand a cheaper entry or a free entry because they know us was ridiculous.

Our BEST MATES used to pay full price because the appreciated what we were trying to do. I am mainly talking about bunker lounge here. The venue is TINY... it would probably be full of only people that we know anyway. Where do you draw tne line?

it's only $5!!! (in our case), I would never or have never asked (let alone expected) free entry to a party. I have and do however get in free alot of the time, but that is not the point. I would pay full price if that was the deal, I understand what it is like to throw parties with certain amounts of risk etc etc.....

GET OVER IT!!!
Friday

Post by Friday »

f.w. if you feel that you and not being duely compensated for the time and effort you put into a review that perhaps you should be speaking to the media outlet that your review is published through and asking them for payment? or at least to cover your costs of entry and cab ride etc?

they are the ones benefiting from your review through readership of their publication...

why should the responsibility fall on the promoter? i don't really believe that the promoter is the one really benefiting. this should really be the case to ensure the review isn't biased in anyway as well...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Friday wrote:f.w. if you feel that you and not being duely compensated for the time and effort you put into a review that perhaps you should be speaking to the media outlet that your review is published through and asking them for payment? or at least to cover your costs of entry and cab ride etc?

they are the ones benefiting from your review through readership of their publication...

why should the responsibility fall on the promoter? i don't really believe that the promoter is the one really benefiting. this should really be the case to ensure the review isn't biased in anyway as well...
Now that, is a point that is good.
ESC

Post by ESC »

Friday wrote:writing may be a passion but writing a review for an event for publication is a job.

in my opinion no self respecting promoter should give plus ones to all it's reviewers. it pisses me off that people expect this.

when i a new pair of sneakers get's reviewed in a magazine do you think they send the mag a pair for the reviewer to write about, and then chuck in an extra pair for his girlfriend? :?

for an average 33&1/3 gig (prince size show) we would give out about 25 tickets for reviewers / photographers / interviewers. if all of these were +1 it at a $40 ticket price, it would be $1000 of extra possible income that would not be possible to make back when a show sells out. with the tight margins that events run on this would no doubt increase the ticket prices.

it has always been industry standard that the entry price to an event is fair trade for a review of an event, if you think otherwise then perhaps it's not something that you should be looking at doing as i don't see this changing. this has been my experience in working for companies such as creative entertainment big day out for three years, a year with coppel and 5 years at agent mad. leading up to a large 33&1/3 event i would get on average of 15 emails / calls a day with people telling my why they deserve free tickets for one reason or another and i'm sorry but i just don't buy it.

entry to the event should be more than enough compensation.
Well said Fiday!
UPCOMING:
MARCUS INTALEX & DOC SCOTT - 20TH JULY, FRI
KLUTE - EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES ALBUM TOUR - 8TH SEPT, SAT
CALIBRE & DRS - 6TH, OCT, SAT
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Surely if you aren't happy with payment, don't do the job.

I'm sure the promoters won't loose sleep.

And you'll be happy, as you are not subscribing to what you feel is an unjust trade.

Easy.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

one of my mates used to pretend to be a photographer for ITM.... he got in free EVERYWHERE... so yeah, I wouldn't be handing that shit out unless I'd specifically asked the publication personally to send someone down.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Direktor wrote:
Friday wrote:f.w. if you feel that you and not being duely compensated for the time and effort you put into a review that perhaps you should be speaking to the media outlet that your review is published through and asking them for payment? or at least to cover your costs of entry and cab ride etc?

Lets step back a little. I'm not griping about the compensation I get from the reviews that I write. I was simply making a connection between an action and event.
Lucie - if no one in the industry wants to give out Plus Ones' that's fair enough but it just makes the irony of my original post a little bit more delicious.

Liz- thanks for your support and being reasonable enought to regard multiple points of view.

Director + Ben - 3DWorld.

The resto fo you haters, chill out, and let's see if we can discuss something music related with our crying into a tissue for a change.
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Ah c'mon F.W. don't be a stinge, eh. :wink: :teef:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

factory worker wrote:
Direktor wrote:

Lets step back a little. I'm not griping about the compensation I get from the reviews that I write. I was simply making a connection between an action and event.
Lucie - if no one in the industry wants to give out Plus Ones' that's fair enough but it just makes the irony of my original post a little bit more delicious.

Liz- thanks for your support and being reasonable enought to regard multiple points of view.

The resto fo you haters, chill out, and let's see if we can discuss something music related with our crying into a tissue for a change.
See this is actually the bit where you are meant to flail your virtual arms and spit out something incoherrant and logic defying.

Not come back with a response that not only makes sense but also clarifys your point!

Well put.
Don't hate me for house
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

factory worker wrote:
Direktor wrote:

:smt023 i could see your point matey :D
Friday

Post by Friday »

factory worker wrote: I'm not griping about the compensation I get from the reviews that I write.
it may not be about the financial compensation for you but it is for the promoters.

they're not saying no to a +1 to spite you. they're saying no as it sets a precedent that they have to give all media +1 which will greatly effect the profitability of an event.

so what is it about then? really? you're saying it's not about getting compensation ie an extra ticket, but you said yourself you're pissed off about not getting an extra ticket... eh?
factory worker wrote: I was simply making a connection between an action and event.
to be honest i think it is a little malicious to attack a specific promoter in the way you have done when they are only doing something what the majority of other promoters, who are realistic about their long term viability in the scene, would do as well.

going back to your original post...
factory worker wrote: For example how do people feels about certain promoters, (not Keir) throwingf a party called Plus One and refusing to supply double tickets for reviewers. Good way to get dumb reviews, ie "The venue was pretty packed but no one was really friebdly so I sat in ther corner by myself where the sound was shit and had a pretty crap time before going home to see my girlfriends.
i don't see any irony... what do you think is ironic about this??
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Friday wrote:
factory worker wrote: I'm not griping about the compensation I get from the reviews that I write.
it may not be about the financial compensation for you but it is for the promoters.

they're not saying no to a +1 to spite you. they're saying no as it sets a precedent that they have to give all media +1 which will greatly effect the profitability of an event.

so what is it about then? really? you're saying it's not about getting compensation ie an extra ticket, but you said yourself you're pissed off about not getting an extra ticket... eh?
factory worker wrote: I was simply making a connection between an action and event.
to be honest i think it is a little malicious to attack a specific promoter in the way you have done when they are only doing something what the majority of other promoters, who are realistic about their long term viability in the scene, would do as well.

going back to your original post...
factory worker wrote: For example how do people feels about certain promoters, (not Keir) throwingf a party called Plus One and refusing to supply double tickets for reviewers. Good way to get dumb reviews, ie "The venue was pretty packed but no one was really friebdly so I sat in ther corner by myself where the sound was shit and had a pretty crap time before going home to see my girlfriends.
i don't see any irony... what do you think is ironic about this??
A party called plus one - a promoter who doesn't offer plus one tix for reviewers.

BTW - I haven't bagged out any specific promoter and for all those that can't read or understand what's been written - this is not about the Plus One party itself. My experience derives form a recent experience whereby a promoter stiffed me on a plus one - said review was offered to me (I never asked anyone for a plus one comp) and the publication have provided me plus one comps nearly everytime I've reviewed for them. There are situations where a venue has been oversold, such as Room 680 and comps have been limited which I understand completely - in fact I have even accpeted refusal of entry in such a situation cause I know that the viablity of running events is a priority.

Just to reiterate I'm not pissed off. I'm actually seeing the humour in this whole situation. Theres no malicious attacking on part. In facvt some responses have actually had a go at me.

Let's keep it intelligent or post on another thread.
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

Lame thread. You should do something because you love it not because you can/might be able to get free stuff/money out of it. Totaly wrong reason to do something.
That's so plausible I can't believe it!
XVi32 - It's a blog
Kulture - Melbourne Jungle/D&B blog
Melbourne D&B - Melbourne D&B Forum
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Give me a free ticket, i can write.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

kronz wrote:Give me a free ticket, i can write.
:smt021
XVi32 - It's a blog
Stray

Post by Stray »

B0mBjAcK wrote:Lame thread. You should do something because you love it not because you can/might be able to get free stuff/money out of it. Totaly wrong reason to do something.
Wow so you work for free do you? How do you survive? On the love huh?
You'll have to tell me how you do that sometime. :wink:

Either a reviewer gets a free ticket or their publisher reimburses them.
Seems simple to me.
If you want a mate along, fair enough, but they aren't there to work so why should someone pay for them to be there?
Do the door bitches and lighting guys get plus ones?
They should cough up the ticket price themselves, or you could go halves in an extra ticket if you have trouble getting someone along.

I see the irony in an event called plus one that doesn't give out plus ones.
You could easily be mistaken for thinking this event offered two for one tickets because of the name.

I'm a bit taken aback by the amount of haters in this thread though.
So very un-melbourne beats.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Stray wrote:
B0mBjAcK wrote:Lame thread. You should do something because you love it not because you can/might be able to get free stuff/money out of it. Totaly wrong reason to do something.

Seems simple to me.
If you want a mate along, fair enough, but they aren't there to work so why should someone pay for them to be there?
They should cough up the ticket price themselves, or you could go halves in an extra ticket if you have trouble getting someone along.

You could easily be mistaken for thinking this event offered two for one tickets because of the name.

Seems like any serious discussion about beats and beat related topics generates low level comments.

Finally some one relaizes the point of my original claim.
This was never about me and my woes.
Interesting angles that people have about 'free rides'. I reckon a plus one is fair compensation - free entry for doing the review and being there - not all gigs are enjoyable - and the plus one freebie fro the time and effort it takes to knock up a piece of writing and submit it. There's no free ride involved. You commit to an avent and when everyon else is nursing a hang over or recovering theres usually a deadline to adhere too.
deviant

Post by deviant »

factory worker wrote:
Stray wrote:

Seems simple to me.

Seems like any serious discussion about beats and beat related topics generates low level comments.

Interesting angles that people have about 'free rides'. I reckon a plus one is fair compensation - free entry for doing the review and being there - not all gigs are enjoyable - and the plus one freebie fro the time and effort it takes to knock up a piece of writing and submit it. There's no free ride involved. You commit to an avent and when everyon else is nursing a hang over or recovering theres usually a deadline to adhere too.
yes, but isn't it the publishers responsibility to provide that? not the promoter?
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

deviant wrote:
factory worker wrote:
Stray wrote: Wow so you work for free do you? How do you survive? On the love huh?

yes, but isn't it the publishers responsibility to provide that? not the promoter?
And who do they get them off?
Some times the promoters use door lists and sometime tickets get mailed out in the post.

Is it the programme directors responsibility to get the music they give to DJ's to play on the radio?
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

Stray wrote:

Seems simple to me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Heres an idea: go get some tissues and dry your fckn eyes.
XVi32 - It's a blog
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

B0mBjAcK wrote:
Stray wrote:

Seems simple to me.

why don't you get some tissues and wipe that jizz off your face.
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

factory worker wrote:
B0mBjAcK wrote:
Stray wrote: Wow so you work for free do you? How do you survive? On the love huh?

Seems simple to me.

why don't you get some tissues and wipe that jizz off your face.
:lol: that was just fckn lame. Do you want a spoon to eat my arse lil shirly? Coz I don't fckn care...

and that's it I'll leave it @ that.
XVi32 - It's a blog
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Stop hijacking my thread. Go post you family photos some where else.
Friday

Post by Friday »

factory worker wrote:A party called plus one - a promoter who doesn't offer plus one tix for reviewers.
right... i wasn't there when they picked the name but my guess is that maybe it was a piss take on this sort of attitude??
factory worker wrote:BTW - I haven't bagged out any specific promoter and for all those that can't read or understand what's been written - this is not about the Plus One party itself. My experience derives form a recent experience whereby a promoter stiffed me on a plus one - said review was offered to me (I never asked anyone for a plus one comp) and the publication have provided me plus one comps nearly everytime I've reviewed for them. There are situations where a venue has been oversold, such as Room 680 and comps have been limited which I understand completely - in fact I have even accpeted refusal of entry in such a situation cause I know that the viablity of running events is a priority.
cool. i'm just trying to understand your viewpoint here... so it's ok for people to barr people on the door for and event that is 'oversold' (something which a responsible promoter should never do in my opinion), but it's not ok for them to look at their budget and decide at the outset, and inform people from the outset, that giving plus ones to media would be an additional cost that they cannot wear?
factory worker wrote:Just to reiterate I'm not pissed off.
it's been kinda hard to tell that from some of the stuff you've been saying… i honestly still don’t get the point you’re trying to make. you say it’s not that you want more compensation for you work writing a review? do you believe that all media should be given plus ones, the cost of this being worn by the promoter or not? or is it just that there is irony in the ‘Plus One’ event name? to me it seem more like shit stirring for the sake of shit stirring rather than putting forward an opinion - correct me if otherwise… but i personally still can’t see what your point it.
factory worker wrote:I'm actually seeing the humour in this whole situation. Theres no malicious attacking on part. In facvt some responses have actually had a go at me.

wasn’t aware that i wasn’t :?
Stray wrote: Either a reviewer gets a free ticket or their publisher reimburses them.
Seems simple to me.
this i agree with... makes perfect and simple sense. :D

why oh why should someone get a freebie for their mate because they are working!!
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

factory worker wrote:Stop hijacking my thread. Go post you family photos some where else.
Oh no hijackers!!!!!!
XVi32 - It's a blog
deviant

Post by deviant »

Friday wrote:
Stray wrote: Either a reviewer gets a free ticket or their publisher reimburses them.
Seems simple to me.

why oh why should someone get a freebie for their mate because they are working!!
I could by a domian name for $40 then put a few opinion based reviews up online, then claim I had a legit review job/business and get in anywhere I like +1.... I wouldn't give freebies away unless I had personally asked the publication to send someone along. If they asked me then I would make a value judgement, if they kicked up a stink about getting a mate in I'd tell them to fuck off.... pretty clear cut really.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Friday wrote:i wasn't there when they picked the name but my guess is that maybe it was a piss take on this sort of attitude??

cool. i'm just trying to understand your viewpoint here... so it's ok for people to barr people on the door for and event that is 'oversold' (something which a responsible promoter should never do in my opinion), but it's not ok for them to look at their budget and decide at the outset, and inform people from the outset, that giving plus ones to media would be an additional cost that they cannot wear?
factory worker wrote:Just to reiterate I'm not pissed off.
it's been kinda hard to tell that from some of the stuff you've been saying… i honestly still don’t get the point you’re trying to make. you say it’s not that you want more compensation for you work writing a review? do you believe that all media should be given plus ones, the cost of this being worn by the promoter or not? or is it just that there is irony in the ‘Plus One’ event name? to me it seem more like shit stirring for the sake of shit stirring rather than putting forward an opinion - correct me if otherwise… but i personally still can’t see what your point it.
factory worker wrote:I'm actually seeing the humour in this whole situation. Theres no malicious attacking on part. In facvt some responses have actually had a go at me.

wasn’t aware that i wasn’t :?
Seems simple to me.

OK if you weren't there you just speculating.
I know your coming from the angle of a promoter. Like I mentioned previously, I have been involved many facets of music and know what's involved. I remember when I found that the vinyl we had just spent 2 grand pressing was not going to break even as we didn't budget on having to give away promo copies.

I agree that an event shouldn't over sell. ButI'm gracious enough to cut mylosses and not push the point or have a go at an overstressed promoter.
I can honestly say that the event in question wasn't oversold or packed causeI still went and did the review.

The jibe at haters and unintelligent posts wasn't directed at you Friday.

I've already outlined why I think two tickets to a gig is worthy of the work involved earlier in this thread. And for sure, I will probably think about reviewing any further events by the promoter in question.

Finding out that there is no Plus One less than 24 hours before an event, if it did sell out wouldn't help in any case cause a friend or partner wouldn't be able to get a ticket to attend anyway.

It's about integrity to me, and if a promoter is up front than that's cool. If they want their event reviewed and know a Plus One is expected than they should either be honest, do the right thing or realise that they may not be able to get some one to come to a gig and write a review for free.
Broken Beat Assault

Post by Broken Beat Assault »

Stray wrote:[quote="

if you had come across any of the Plus:One promotion you would be aware of the Plus:One guestlist, guess how it works?? :roll:

the most ridiculous thing in a long time would have to be this thread.

Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Stray wrote:

Seems simple to me.

:scr1pt: i don't get the haters at all. and well put to the rest of your post Stray 8)
Fents

Post by Fents »

Broken Beat Assault wrote:

if you had come across any of the Plus:One promotion you would be aware of the Plus:One guestlist, guess how it works?? :roll:

Good free advertising tho bro ;)
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

ur a classic j. huhu ;)
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Broken Beat Assault wrote:

Thsi isn't about the Plus One party. But while youre on the subject. Why don't you explain yourself inseat of asking people to guess -that just leads to more confusion.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

FW maybe you've just been spoilt in the past by 3Dworld and now it's time for a reality check?

As an editor it was very rare that I would ask for a plus-one for a reviewer. This is because
a) the reviewer has volunteered for the job and will be compensated for their time spent writing the review, by not having to pay entry
b) the "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" relationship between media outlet and promoter only goes so far. I respect that I am not the only editor chasing a freebie for a reviewer and or photographer. Getting 2 tixs for 1 media outlet is still a good deal I think.
c) In my experience the reviewers or photographers who demanded a "plus one" when doing the job weren't in it for "the passion" at all. Just a free night out with their partner or best mate at everyone's expense.

If you can't get that plus one that obviously means so much to you, then don't do the review. If you're still up for the night out, then you'll pay out of your own pocket and support the scene.

If the reviewing means a lot of you, you'll go on your own and hope to bump into friends there or hey, maybe make some new ones! woo!
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.