kitty published in NZ

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
ghetto kitty

kitty published in NZ

Post by ghetto kitty »

hey guys...

i got published in the NZ graff/hip hop mag back2basics
no money, but they only edited a little and its so nice to see your words in print...

photos by a friend of mine travis argus

and if you cant read it, heres the words for ya...

Last Stop Franga

The moon is high and turns the road blue as giant cyclone fencing separates us from the sculpture garden that is the Brooklyn train yards, on the last stop of the Frankston line out of Melbourne in Victoria.
There is a bend in the fence around the size of a crouching body, and barren dirt paddocks surrounded by factories where giant monoliths of wrecked carriages loom in the semi darkness.
Hulks of steel that once carried people to work or to meet their lovers at midnight, now lay stacked together disembowelled on their sides, like pieces of Lego from some toddler giant, torn windows and shards of glass a testament to his strength.
The guts of metal and wiring spill out and cover the dirt like entrails. In this age of rapid technology and industrial waste, these toys have become a playground again, but now, for an altogether different kind of youth. Now they are a peaceful museum where trains go to die, hushed and streaked with metallic sunsets where the monochrome trains burst into rainbows.

They are exiled here, to be dismantled by Sims metal, into categories- heavy metals and all other refuse, two piles.
Slashes of colour peek out from the twisted metal carnage, soft rounded lines of design with sparkle seem to overtake the dead trains and make them live again, as a new kind of canvas not bound by convention or boundaries. This absence of written rules is what makes these places so special, there are unspoken codes that you choose to learn, or you choose to deny.
Hidden from the public eye, from art schools and galleries, whichever crew your in or whoever’s side your on, there is so much creativity and wonder in these yards it’s hard to believe they haven’t made headlines already.

People come here to paint, to marvel at other’s styles, and to paint.
Prepare yourself with weapons of art and a hoody, and head out to the wastelands of the city, with motivation purely to test your skills and create some more wicked colour in a grey world, and join the unranked army of modern art ninjas, who deem the streets, buildings, and waste of economy theirs for the remaking.

Public discourse in the form of Graffitti that began in the neandethal caves has found brothers and sisters in the far reaches of the world, in the factories of Germany and in the suburban wastelands of Australia alike. The geography and the message itself may change but the urge to get up, be heard, has not.

Giant lashed ladie’s eyes peer bigger than life from the rubble, arrows are framed in neon green and dangling wires. Long tunnels made from sideways carriages that run four high and four deep make use of the term art-itechture
And the crunch of glass underfoot seems louder out here. A flock of feral sheep graze and watch in awe as the graff kids and metal workers deface and dismantle the trains. Ripped seats and old adverts covered with tattoos of marker, from scrawled tags to throwies to giant pieces the length of two carriages, characters and faces tell stories of people, real people, who lived and learnt and had something to say, enough to come out here and damn well say it.

And yeah its dangerous, and yeah its trespassing, and yeah we’ve got more pressing obligations like homework or jobs or family. But when you step back, with the stars your only witness, and walk back into the darkness, a smile slowly spreads. And you know, that somewhere in this world, somehow despite what everyone often tells you, you have a voice. You have made your mark. You are there.
deviant

Post by deviant »

nice one :thumbup:
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

wikkid work. especially that last paragraph. that's what it's all about. I use to work with at risk youth, and one of things I kept telling cops and youth workers and arts council committe members was that some of these 'taggers' don't have anything in the world to lose, but they can mark a mark on the world, and that would usually be their tag, something to indicate their releveance in a world that doesn't care.
Last edited by factory worker on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
gnat

Post by gnat »

Excellent and big ups to you too FW

:smt023
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

Nice!

but i thought brooklyn was in the western suburbs???
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

factory worker wrote:wikkid work. especially that last paragraph. that's what it's all about. I use to work with at risk youth, and one of things I kept telling cops and youth workers and arts council committe members was that some of these 'taggers' don't have anything in the world to lose, but they can mark a mark on the world, and that would usually be their tag, something to indicate their releveance in a world that doesn't care.
word...ive worked swith troubled kids too and often they feel like theyre not allowed to have a say about anything in the world..

ive been teaching stencilling at schools and the kids just love the idea that the world is their canvas, even if by law it is classed as 'vandalism'

and lauer > hmmm my mistake maybe..
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Nice work bo! ;)
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Wow that is a wicked a read g kitty. Great use of words. I loved how everything was described as it gave my mind full on visiuals as if I was actually there! Nice!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

nice work Miss Ghetto Kitty :D 8)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Great work there Bo! Congratulations!

Haven't had a chance to have a decent read yet, will do so tomorrow.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

ghetto kitty wrote:
factory worker wrote:wikkid work. especially that last paragraph. that's what it's all about. I use to work with at risk youth, and one of things I kept telling cops and youth workers and arts council committe members was that some of these 'taggers' don't have anything in the world to lose, but they can mark a mark on the world, and that would usually be their tag, something to indicate their releveance in a world that doesn't care.
word...ive worked swith troubled kids too and often they feel like theyre not allowed to have a say about anything in the world..

ive been teaching stencilling at schools and the kids just love the idea that the world is their canvas, even if by law it is classed as 'vandalism'

and lauer > hmmm my mistake maybe..
max props GK.
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

aw thanks for the props guys...
its all about the kids for me.

doesnt matter whether its music/art/graff/fashion or writing
drug education/options in life without university...

i just want to teach stuff....

:D
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

Nice one, bigups to ya! :thumbright:
That's so plausible I can't believe it!
XVi32 - It's a blog
Kulture - Melbourne Jungle/D&B blog
Melbourne D&B - Melbourne D&B Forum
skiba

Post by skiba »

DAMN GK thats cool nice work