ELEMENTZ PRESENTS: TOTAL SCIENCE!!! - 11TH AUG, FRI @ POW

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
ESC

ELEMENTZ PRESENTS: TOTAL SCIENCE!!! - 11TH AUG, FRI @ POW

Post by ESC »

Yo Ppl,

No rest for the wicked!!

TOTAL SCIENCE "MARS NEED TOTAL SCIENCE" ALBUM TOUR

Elementz are proud to announce the return of the craziest guys in Drum & Bass! Nominated as Best Drum & Bass act at the Urban Music Awards 2005, Total Science enter 2006 ready to raise the benchmark of what their fans anticipated - the reaction to what's coming is going to be big!

Amongst their other plans for 2006 is a fourthcoming album "MAR NEED TOTAL SCIENCE" and is much more than a collection of songs - it's an inspirational project crafted over the past year in two studios: one in Oxford and one in Philadelphia. Featuring artists: Grand Agent, Phonte, Patrice Williams, Kaidi Tatham (from Bugs in the Attic), DJ Craze & MC Conrad. "MARS NEED TOTAL SCIENCE" showcases a selection of acclaimed genres.

This is Total Science in their true form, illustrating a different side to their musical personalities. Tipped as Total Science's strongest & most interesting album to date, this is one sound not to be ignored!

Local Support: Seven, Dust, JPS, Blanco, Motive & Tray MC

11th Aug, Fri @ PRINCE OF WALES

TICKETS @ $30 + BF on sale now at:
ALLEY TUNES, HAWTHORN 9819 9449
CENTRALSTATION, CITY 9642 5744
COLLECTORS CNR, CITY 9663 3442
PRINCE OF WALES, ST KILDA 03 9536 1168
DMC RECORDS, PRAHRAN 9824 0944
MINISTRY OF STYLE, FITZROY 9419 4952

Online tickets @:
http://www.inthemix.com.au & http://www.princebandroom.com.au

UPCOMING:
MARCUS INTALEX & DOC SCOTT - 20TH JULY, FRI
KLUTE - EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES ALBUM TOUR - 8TH SEPT, SAT
CALIBRE & DRS - 6TH, OCT, SAT
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

one of the best parties ive been to, TS at Hi Fi a few years back.

Quiff is a funny (looking) man :teef:
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Joe Seven

Post by Joe Seven »

buckle up!
killeye

Post by killeye »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:one of the best parties ive been to, TS at Hi Fi a few years back.

Quiff is a funny (looking) man :teef:

was that with Marcus Intalex? When they came out that last time, 'science' was spelt wrong on an ad and since then I've referred to them as per that ad....total sconce :lol:

Will be cool to see em again :D
"That's my desire, keep pushing, keep striving"

killeye myspace
mecka

Post by mecka »

Hey cool...
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

Wikkid! JPS & Motive fckn 8) Marrs need Total Science is a dope album too, cant wit for this one. I can never wait... meh :smt023
That's so plausible I can't believe it!
XVi32 - It's a blog
Kulture - Melbourne Jungle/D&B blog
Melbourne D&B - Melbourne D&B Forum
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

killeye wrote:was that with Marcus Intalex? When they came out that last time, 'science' was spelt wrong on an ad and since then I've referred to them as per that ad....total sconce :lol:
ROFL. me and a mate do the exact same thing, for the exact same reason.
killeye

Post by killeye »

valuetime wrote:
killeye wrote:was that with Marcus Intalex? When they came out that last time, 'science' was spelt wrong on an ad and since then I've referred to them as per that ad....total sconce :lol:
ROFL. me and a mate do the exact same thing, for the exact same reason.
:lol: zero hour's in on it too!

killeye myspace
Blush

Post by Blush »

Lock up your brussell sprouts
Professional Gift

JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

A POW gig.

Awesome.
Don't hate me for house
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

killeye wrote: was that with Marcus Intalex?
No, it was with Sonic (& MC Direkt!) from what I can remember...

:happytimes: :D
simcard

Post by simcard »

Yea saw these guys at phat 06 in nelson nz to bad i have no memory of it looking forward to seeing them soberish. It it true that one of them cant really mix because hes fucked his air or was someone talking shit to me?
dust

Post by dust »

simcard wrote:It it true that one of them cant really mix because hes fucked his air or was someone talking shit to me?
I'm not really sure what you mean by having fucked air??!!

But if you mean having a fucked ear then your mate might have been talking about Optical.

Pretty sure the Total Science lads are all good.

Looking forward to this party. Whooooooop. Go Elementz.

:oops: that sounded like a cheerleading cheer or something.
beatski

Post by beatski »

BIG UPS!

Q PROJECT- FARK YEAH
killeye

Post by killeye »

Direktor wrote:

:roll: never mind me...was getting it mixed up with the klute and marcus intalex gig :D

killeye myspace
Will

Post by Will »

Total Scones at that horrific little basement place a few years ago was awesome.

Guys just have mad vibes.

Hopefully they'll be coming up in this direction too...
simcard

Post by simcard »

dust wrote:
simcard wrote:It it true that one of them cant really mix because hes fucked his air or was someone talking shit to me?
I'm not really sure what you mean by having fucked air??!!

But if you mean having a fucked ear then your mate might have been talking about Optical.

Pretty sure the Total Science lads are all good.

Looking forward to this party. Whooooooop. Go Elementz.

:oops: that sounded like a cheerleading cheer or something.
Yea the person who told me that must of been full of it anywayz :P looking forward to this one
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Nice one :smt023
exploited

Post by exploited »

Will wrote:Total Scones at that horrific little basement place a few years ago was awesome.

ahhh, that gig was the popping of my drum and bass cherry, they played for about 5 hours and were still going when I left...
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

that was a funny gig, full alpha e series nexo set up, blanco and i holding light fixtures in the roof as the bass unscrewed them one by one from their places in the ceiling.....

hehe.....
ImageImage
almax

Post by almax »

Direktor wrote:

your first drum and bass internatty if i recall correctly, also i remember the after party and some shenanigans back at motives house with a camera and two internatty in a room with one girl. camera man hanging out the window :lol:
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

Saw Total Science about 3 years ago at Fu bar in Auckland...Mad Gig. Nosher was being thrashed about that time....

Those boys love playing long sets......I recall them playing from 2:30 right through till close at 7am, and they were loving it all the way.
Cant wait til I catch em again
Joe Seven

Post by Joe Seven »

For a taste of things to come check out the new Qproject LP in Store at DMC !!

(Q Project being 1/2 of Total Science for those that dont know)
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

More POW POW please!
Don't hate me for house
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Will wrote:Total Scones at that horrific little basement place a few years ago was awesome.

The back of Inflation right.

I was on mushies that night - someone stole my hoodie, I thought someone was trying to kill me all night and then had to bail about an hour into their set due a sever case of the 'noids kicking in.

Not happy times. :cry:
dust

Post by dust »

This is next weekend!!

Oh how time flies.

:D
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

almax wrote:
your first drum and bass internatty if i recall correctly
Spot on brethren. I think you hooked me up with the gig at the last minute if I remember right.

Good times....
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

The time is near.......
Will be expecting a marathon set by the boys
Set times anybody?
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

May get down for this one, always love to see some Quiffy antics!
fikuss

Post by fikuss »

dust wrote:This is next weekend!!

Oh how time flies.

i completely forgot to mention it in my column because i didn't realize it was this soon. sorry roger.

Lookin forward to it.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

fikuss wrote:

Oh how time flies.

i completely forgot to mention it in my column because i didn't realize it was this soon. sorry roger.

Lookin forward to it.
BAN!!!!!!!!!!!
Will

Post by Will »

Direktor wrote:

I was on mushies that night - someone stole my hoodie, I thought someone was trying to kill me all night and then had to bail about an hour into their set due a sever case of the 'noids kicking in.

Geddes Lane I believe it was. I had a completely different experience.

I think it was JPS who dropped Morning Light as one of the last tunes of the night. Fucking magic.
ESC

Post by ESC »

Hi Guys,

Here's a good interview done for Perth showing what the boys have been up to recently... I have put in a request for a marathon set, and will know by Thurs if the guys are up for it. Knowing them, if the night is running, they won't stop! As usual, expect a night of the freshest cutz!!

++++++++++++

Total Science is the stage name of drum and bass producers Jason Greenhalgh and Paul Smith.

The pair first met in 1987, both living on Blackbird Leys estate in Oxford, England and brought together through a mutual love of hip hop and school girls. Distracted by the arrival of hardcore in the early nineties, record collecting was quickly followed by DJing and eventually production. Greenhalgh was the first into the studio, with "Freestyle Fanatic" launching his career in 1991.

However it was the establishment of the Legend imprint and specifically Greenhalgh's "Champion Sound", which took their profile beyond the slew of anonymous white labels that were dominating the music at the time. In 1994, the pair started recording together, with "Got to Believe" the first in a series of records which pushed the label away from the darkside movement and more towards the epic string sections and rolling beats which started to appear on labels like Lucky Spin, Basement and Good Looking.

After six years of recording singles for others, the pair established the CIA label in the closing months of 1997 with the help of Brillo from Timeless. The release of their Silent Reign EP for Goldie's Metalheadz breathed a new lease of life into the project, and the pair achieved a further boost with a well-timed Bad Company remix of "Champion Sound" which conjured further interest in what they were doing at their own label. Their debut album Advance exposed a further field of interest, with downtempo experiments logged as a series of "Breaks" on the majority of their early EP's extended to some deep house, this breadth taken a step further with their Skin Deep imprint which has forged brokenbeat to considerable acclaim. Their pioneering of a revival in old school sounds and arrangements, together with Digital and Reinforced, dominated drum & bass throughout 2001.
++++++++++

Q&A INTERVIEW:

You guys met on your mutal love for electro & hip hop, what sort of artists come to mind when you think back to those days?
Captain rock, Aleem, Big Daddy Kane, KRS1 and Scott Le Roc and too many more to mention

Your Australian tour is to launch the release the album "Mars Needs Total Science", can you tell us a bit about the style of the album, how long you've been working on it, and does it include any clownstep? (joking!)
The album is a lot more musical and features more vocal tracks than previous and a number of highly acclaimed artists such as Grand Agent, Bugz etc. We had been working on tracks on this album for the last couple of years and it's full of clownstep(cock!)

For the Australia tour, apart from your own tunes, what are a few tunes that we could expect to hear you play?
We’ll be playing all our favorites from the full spectrum of drum & bass styles from artist such as , Bungle, Marky, State Of Mind, TC, G Dub, Gridlok, Danny Byrd , Calibre ...the list goes on...

Apart from your Album, have you guys been up to much else lately, touring, collaborations, remixes etc?
Loads. Infact, the next big thing for us is the Soul Patrol 12" which features MC Conrad and has remixes from MJ Cole on it. Aside from that, there's a lot in the pipeline, more EPs , collaborations with Marky , artist LPs etc etc but there's also a lot we don't want to speak about at this point so best just keep an eye out!

Aside from the Soul Patrol release we have an EP from Bungle, which is a precursor for a Bungle LP on CIA. There's also going to be a EP from Laura Pacheco, who is a vocalist that featured on the track 'I know' off 'Mars Needs...'. This EP will feature production from State of Mind, Bungle, Q Project and Total Science. Of course, this is just for CIA.

On Advanced we have 12"s from Zero Tolerance, Danny Byrd, Baby Origami, Funky Technicians and Tactile and on Fix we have some tunes coming from Tropic, Rawtee and Splittin' Atoms.

For the CIA Ltd imprint Taxman has been on the case and has done a remix of Splittin' Atom's "Bulletproof Monk". Other remixes are being done as we speak by artists such as Tactile and Atlantic Connection.

Also we are sub-dividing CIA into CIA Deep Kut which will be an outlet for the deeper side of the music we sign with 12"s from Calibre, Atlantic Connection and ourselves.

Mention Total Science around the Perth DNB scene, and one gig comes to mind, Grooverider & Total Science @ Drum Club here in Perth. This gig featured the likes of Greg Packer and Elhornet, back in the early stages of the Perth DNB scene and also the starts of the careers of lots of other local Perth DJ's. Do you guys recall this event?
We remember the gig well because it was the third gig in 24 hours that we did. We started in Sydney, then played the Grooverider after party in Adelaide and then this gig. We were both totally fucked!

Have you guys been following what’s been happening in the DNB scene in Australia (Perth and Pendulum in particular) and New Zealand, and got any comments on it?
Of course. We would have had to of locked ourselves away not to have heard about it. Pendulum have done alot for the dnb scene in Australia especially Perth which is a good thing for everyone. As for New Zealand, we have been putting out music from the State Of Mind guys for the last year or so , they are really on top of their game at the moment. In our opinion some of the best drum & Bass in the world comes from down here.

Globally it seems drum and bass is heading main stream, with remixes of big name tunes, featuring in movies and TV show's, and breaks and dnb artists working together on remixes, what’s your thoughts on this? Where do you see your music heading?
We don't think that dnb is becoming more global it's just we didn't have such a big media machine back in the early 90s as we do now in which to hear and see music such as dnb. So it just seems like dnb is more in our face but its always been there. Where ever on the planet we seam to travel there are like minded people like us who have been fighting the cause since day one , that’s what drum & bass is about and regardless how big or small it gets its that love that we will always have for it .

Finally, When you’re not in the studio or touring, what else do you guys enjoy doing? or maybe a funny story that you would like to share?
We've always enjoyed a spot of arm wrestling down the local pub - The Man Arms. We also like to dress up in women's clothes and go punting around Oxford . for a funny tale come and see us and we’ll tell you everything !!!

For more info on Total Science, check out www.myspace.com/totalscience and www.cia-records.com
UPCOMING:
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Will wrote:
Direktor wrote:

Geddes Lane I believe it was. I had a completely different experience.

I think it was JPS who dropped Morning Light as one of the last tunes of the night. Fucking magic.
Back in the days before chemicals started destroying memory capabilities
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
Fents

Post by Fents »

Got you on the Soulllllllll Patrollllllllll...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

fikuss wrote:

Oh how time flies.

Lookin forward to it.
What column homie?
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

Direktor wrote:
fikuss wrote:

Oh how time flies.

Lookin forward to it.
What column homie?
Ask Aunty Tim, fashionista Schumman answers your costume and dress up dilemmas.

Looking forward to the gig, still have such wicked yet vague memories of that gig and know quite a few headz that this was the gig that turned them from punter to junglist, i just remember forcing myself to leave cos i couldn't dance anymore, but i couldn't stay there and not dance :broken:, expect karoke styles in the absence of Conrad, we came to free your mind

Boh!
Back from the desert to stir things up a little :)
downtime

Post by downtime »

You're right, at one point, Quiff (sp?) 'perforated his ear drum' and was advised not to expose it to loud noise until it healed, so i'm guessing he's okay now. Anyway that's what Paul Smith said in an interview from a while ago. It's probably still on dnb arena...
ESC

Post by ESC »

News just in!! The boys have promised to do at least a 3hr set, but most likey they will stretch it to 4HRS for melbourne! Now that's worth it! :)
UPCOMING:
killeye

Post by killeye »

:D bring on the sconce!

killeye myspace
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

ESC wrote:News just in!! The boys have promised to do at least a 3hr set, but most likey they will stretch it to 4HRS for melbourne! Now that's worth it! :)
Fckn wikkid! Nice one!! :thumbright: Can't wait, only 2 more sleeps!
XVi32 - It's a blog
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

So do we have some approx set times???
I like to be organised!
Aint been to a dnb giig at the Prince, will be a nice change
See yall on the floor
ESC

Post by ESC »

Set Time as follow:

1030 - 1130 - JPS
1130 - 1230 - Motive & Seven
1230 - 0130 - Blanco & Dust
0130 - CLOSE - TOTAL SCIENCE (4HR set)!!!
UPCOMING:
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

Cheers!
:D :D :D
David Bass

Post by David Bass »

gonna be an awsome night.....4hr set!!! that is huge!!!! not long now.....
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

hell yeah that is awesome, going to need a 'few cans of red bull' to keep going in my old age, but i am stoked and today can't finish soon enough.

thats made my day, love a long journey set and with the tunes those boys will have up their sleeves it will be sick!

going to have to try not to chair dance too much in the office listening to the next chapter now.
Back from the desert to stir things up a little :)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

4hrs!!!! Goodness me....
dust

Post by dust »

Getting really amped for this gig now.

fikuss

Post by fikuss »

cj the taniwha wrote:
Direktor wrote:
fikuss wrote: i completely forgot to mention it in my column because i didn't realize it was this soon. sorry roger.

Lookin forward to it.
What column homie?
Ask Aunty Tim, fashionista Schumman answers your costume and dress up dilemmas.
yeah that's the one. its in mardi gras weekly (otherwise known as zebra).

i'll be on the float tonight... or something. bring all your fashion queries (pay me for my advice with beer)

4 Hour set should be mad. boh!
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

dust wrote:Getting really amped for this gig now.
Hell yes! Can't wait!

Yes! It's tonight! 4hr set double YES!!! YES!!! Going to be a party & a half!
XVi32 - It's a blog