Speaker Suggestions :: Small Party

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
lucas
emission reductionist

Speaker Suggestions :: Small Party

Post by lucas »

I need to give some advice about a DJ setup for a small party. About 100 peeps, music won't really be the focus.

I don't really know too much about amps and speakers. I was thinking that it would be easier just to hire some powered speakers and run them directly out of a DJM-600.

Anyone got any speaker suggetions? I was thinking JBL or Quest, but I don't really know what models I should be recommending.
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

100 peeps = 2 15" JBL or Quest or RCF powered staright outta the mixer

or 4 12"

its always better to run thr a power amp, to make that do most the work not ya speakers , but if music isnt the main focus of teh party

i;d get 2 15" JBL's and run straighjt from the mixer, done a million private function with the same amount of people that way ;)

goodluck!
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

my alesis mk II actives crank it out.

had many party at the Towers and never needed any more speakers. mucho bass from them when turned up.
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

ohh dude dont use your monitors!!

I admitt i have been guilty of this in the past - especially when i still enjoyed dj'ing as much as making tunes,

but fark me you learn pretty quick when it costs you in excess of 100 to get the bass woofer replaced!! ouch, happened to me about a month ago, and i wasnt dj'ing either, just producing , so i guess i must have stretched em in the dj;ing days yeah?

either way i would adivse against it - they are cheap monitors, but still alot more expensive than the sh*tty floor towers i now use ;)

just tryin to save a brother from the pain i experinced not long ago
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

ahh i stopped producing years ago :P
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

:lol: sweet - well bash the fark outta them! :lol:

altho yeah the woofer cone is still expensive :cry:

Side note: should have thrown the m1's in the bin then and there, got my eyes on the new genelecs ;) reckon you could pour beer on them, kick em off the balcony have ya mates wrestle one to the ground and they'd still be dope
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

Default is to just hire some Eon15s or equiv. they are only like $60 a pair from Warehouse Sound...

if its multiple spaces you need covering or a big long room then 4x12" like RCFs wouldn't be bad...

if you expect to crank it later then a sub to accompany wound't go astray, cost you an extra $40...

just call a hire co like Warehouse (used to work there 94174866) or RTR and chat to them
strategem

Post by strategem »

powered boxes are the simplest answer, specially when you the music isnt the main thing. i'd go rcf before i went jbl eon. I like most everything else that jbl have done, dont like their powered boxes. not only does eon have an off sound to me but they look like shit. rcf/ mackie is the way to go.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

ive done a gig for around 150 with 2 of my RCF ART300's
If you wanted that extra thump you would probably have to add a sub.
strategem

Post by strategem »

500's have plenty of low end, even the new 322's have fairly good bass response. of course, it really depends on how accurate you want the sound reproduction to be. given that it isnt the main point i would think a sub would be a bit of a waste.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

strategem wrote:powered boxes are the simplest answer, specially when you the music isnt the main thing. i'd go rcf before i went jbl eon. I like most everything else that jbl have done, dont like their powered boxes. not only does eon have an off sound to me but they look like shit. rcf/ mackie is the way to go.
Agree... was using Eons only as a point of refernce... the 12/15" powered box - many options really...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Quest make damn nice monitors!
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Using near field monitors si not only lazy (but possibly a cheap option if you own them) but they aren't designed to throw sound around a room. the best sound quality is achieved through proper placement.
theres heaps of $50 packages around (check beat classifieds) and for a little more you can hire form rent the rig or warehouse sound.
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

there's a place on smith st collingwood that has sick deals.
its between gertrude and victoria, kinda orange coloured next to cobra cane

they rent behringer rigs amongst other better gear
for $120 we got a setup that did a warehouse party of 300 people in a big space. think they go down to $50 for a couple of self powered 15"
sound quality lacks a tad of clarity, but is sufficient for what it sounds like you need