The Movie/Film/DVD thread...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

money?
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

valuetime wrote:
Rob M wrote:I saw "The Machinist" starring Christian Bale the other day. Very well thought out movie. can't believe he was anorexic -- really siuted the movie well.
i wanna see that. he dropped like 25kgs for that movie...
yeh he looked really grotesque. amazing he bounced back straight from that movie to play the upcoming batman role and he's all buff and shit. amazing turnaround in 2-3 months gym work (and eating).

i urge everyone to watch The Machinist, then watch Batman or his other fave movie of mine "Equilibrium" -- Batman is of course coming out soon.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

i watched Capturing the Friedmans and The Triplets of Belleville last night.

have been meaning to see The Triplets of Belleville for tiiiiiiiime. amazing animation. very cool story even tho there is about 10 words spoken the whole 87mins.
When her grandson is kidnapped during the Tour de France, Madame Souza and her beloved pooch Bruno team up with the Belleville Sisters--an aged song-and-dance team from the days of Fred Astaire--to rescue him.
Capturing the Friedmans is quite interesting. quite disturbing.
Documentary on the Friedmans, a seemingly typical, upper-middleclass Jewish family whose world is instantly transformed when the father and his youngest son are arrested and charged with shocking and horrible crimes
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:i watched Capturing the Friedmans and The Triplets of Belleville last night.

have been meaning to see The Triplets of Belleville for tiiiiiiiime. amazing animation. very cool story even tho there is about 10 words spoken the whole 87mins.
When her grandson is kidnapped during the Tour de France, Madame Souza and her beloved pooch Bruno team up with the Belleville Sisters--an aged song-and-dance team from the days of Fred Astaire--to rescue him.
Capturing the Friedmans is quite interesting. quite disturbing.
Documentary on the Friedmans, a seemingly typical, upper-middleclass Jewish family whose world is instantly transformed when the father and his youngest son are arrested and charged with shocking and horrible crimes
A very pregnant woman came into the store and told me she was dying to see capturing the friedmans. I gave her a quick run down of the plot, and she said "that sounds awesome".

I cant help but feel a little weird about that.
...and basically that's the situation
TimmyG

Post by TimmyG »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote: have been meaning to see The Triplets of Belleville for tiiiiiiiime. amazing animation. very cool story even tho there is about 10 words spoken the whole 87mins.
How good is Triplets of Belleville?

Love that stylised ocean liner.
mecka

Post by mecka »

Saw Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou last nite. Brilliant stuff... Wes anderson has firmly cemented himself as one of my favourite directors.

Willem Dafoe is a genius.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

Has anyone seen Ring 2 yet?
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Mellogs wrote:Has anyone seen Ring 2 yet?
I'm too scared! :shock: Still recovering from the last one. Every time I see a telly with static, I slowly back out of the room :smt095
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

watched Kopps the other night. was conveniently on SBS, have been wanting to see it for a while.

very funny.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0339230/
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

also Kung Fu Hustle

funny.
lynt

Post by lynt »

mecka wrote:Saw Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou last nite. Brilliant stuff... Wes anderson has firmly cemented himself as one of my favourite directors.

Willem Dafoe is a genius.

Saw it as well.. brilliant !!!!
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

saw it last week as well. Wes Anderson's best film to date by far.

Cate Blanchett, Willem Dafoe and Noah Taylor are fantastic. Ditto Bill Murray and Anjelica Huston, but what else do you expect from them?
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
lynt

Post by lynt »

"I've also got this rabbit ear so I can pipe in some music"

< insert casio music >
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

"play Ned's theme in the background, would you?"

< ditto on the Casio, but add some Squarepusher D&B as well >

:lol:
mecka

Post by mecka »

"can I call you dad in this shot?"

"How about you call me stevie?"
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

The Mixtress wrote:
Mellogs wrote:Has anyone seen Ring 2 yet?
I'm too scared! :shock: Still recovering from the last one. Every time I see a telly with static, I slowly back out of the room :smt095
omg Im the same. I watched the Ring with my dog, and the poor thing couldnt breathe I was hugging her so tightly!

I figure if I take dboy he'll hold my hand :)
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

watched De-Lovely the other night...

an original musical portait of American composer Cole Porter (Kevin Kline), filled with his unforgettable songs. In the film, Porter is looking back on his life as if was one of his spectacular stage shows, with the people and events of his life becoming the actors and action onstage. Through elaborate production numbers and legendary hits like "Anything Goes", "Its De-lovely", and "Night and Day", Porter's elegant, excessive past comes to light - including his deeply complicated relationship with his wife and muse, Linda Lee Porter. (Ashley Judd)

Also cameos from Robbie Williams, Sheryl Crowe and Alanis Morrisette.

Kevin Kline is one of my favourites!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

how farken LAME is Oceans 12 :smt078

especially the Julia Roberts lookie-loo bit :roll:

on a good note, Quinn got the collectors edition DVD of Fear & Loathing, the bonus disc has heaps of cool shiznit!
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

Im getting the collectors edition of the Labriynth and the Dark Crystal.

David Bowie 8)
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

mecka wrote:"can I call you dad in this shot?"

"How about you call me stevie?"
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Any one seen "Maria Full of Grace"

Saw a review on ABC's movie show ! Looks brilliant !!! :D

Gonna go check it @ da Nova on Monday

Link = http://www.mariafullofgrace.com/
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

ADD_Boy wrote:Any one seen "Maria Full of Grace"

going to check it out this weekend, will let ya know..
gks

Post by gks »

Just saw Hitch on the weekend with my girfriend. That was "CRAPOLA" I expected a lot more from Will. I really thought he would up to his Fresh Prince dayz, but far from it. At least 50 first dates and Along Came Polly were more funny than Hitch.

Deuce Bigalow European Gigolo seems to be funny. Saw the trailer of it, theres a scene in Amsterdam at the red light district, immediatley ive said "thats Amsterdam" in the cinema and every1 has just turned around ooops!
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

stovequeen wrote:

Did u end up going SQ ?
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

ADD_Boy wrote:
stovequeen wrote:

Did u end up going SQ ?
no sorry.. went to this http://www.mca.com.au/default.asp?page_ ... nt_id=1438 instead.

Def. keen to catch Maria tho.. heard good reports :)
lynt

Post by lynt »

Heard MFOG is wicked.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

stovequeen wrote:
ADD_Boy wrote:
stovequeen wrote: going to check it out this weekend, will let ya know..
Did u end up going SQ ?
no sorry.. went to this http://www.mca.com.au/default.asp?page_ ... nt_id=1438 instead.

Crazy Pics !! looks worth checkin (Specially cos it's free) :D

I'll let u kno how Maria goes.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

ADD_Boy wrote:
stovequeen wrote:
ADD_Boy wrote: Did u end up going SQ ?

Crazy Pics !! looks worth checkin (Specially cos it's free) :D

I'll let u kno how Maria goes.
Yeah.. the MCA is in Sydney tho.. but that exhibtion may travel to Melb. Keep your eyes out for it :)
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

watched ocean's twelve on the wknd. that was rubbish worthy of a very long diatribe. total cash in by soderbergh and co, which sucks because he's done some awesome films that didn't get major/any cinematic attention (solaris and full frontal (if you haven't seen full frontal, do it)).

half the cast did absolutely _nothing_ in the movie... there wasn't even the roles for them to play the same puzzle pieces that made the first movie work so well. bernie mac had one twenty second monologue, then nothing. don cheadle had nothing. gould, reiner, garcia, affleck and caan did _nothing_. they all wore shitty expensive italian suits. the plot made little sense in a stupid triplecross movie way, and absolutely none in any logical sense. the julia roberts thing just made me groan and walk outside to smoke a cigarette and try to erase that disgusting old witch from my retinae.

in fact, the only good parts were the first scene, and watching vincent cassel speak in french, then bad french-english, then almost flawless english.

then i watched hero, which made me feel like i hadn't wasted my entire day. good ass movie.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

valuetime wrote:watched ocean's twelve on the wknd. that was rubbish worthy of a very long diatribe. total cash in by soderbergh and co, which sucks because he's done some awesome films that didn't get major/any cinematic attention (solaris and full frontal (if you haven't seen full frontal, do it)).

half the cast did absolutely _nothing_ in the movie... there wasn't even the roles for them to play the same puzzle pieces that made the first movie work so well. bernie mac had one twenty second monologue, then nothing. don cheadle had nothing. gould, reiner, garcia, affleck and caan did _nothing_. they all wore shitty expensive italian suits. the plot made little sense in a stupid triplecross movie way, and absolutely none in any logical sense. the julia roberts thing just made me groan and walk outside to smoke a cigarette and try to erase that disgusting old witch from my retinae.

in fact, the only good parts were the first scene, and watching vincent cassel speak in french, then bad french-english, then almost flawless english.

then i watched hero, which made me feel like i hadn't wasted my entire day. good ass movie.

we also watched Oceans 12. what a waste

*shakes head*
quick

Post by quick »

Need to watch Hero.
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

also watched the Clearing with Robert Redford & William Dafoe.

Rather slow but definately recommended for a sunday afternoon. the ending is very unexpected!
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

valuetime wrote:good ass movie.
supoyb! :lol:
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

Got a preview of the Forgotten at home? Anyone seen it yet?

I think I might have built up enough guts to go see Ring 2 tomos night

Meanwhile, the Japanese version of Ju-on (Grudge 2) is out on dvd... :lol:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Watch Bill Hicks dvd last night. Unfortunately as i have read his works and watched his shows before i knew most of his jokes/points of view, etc.

But still it was damn good, and man were there bits that i was continually laughing out loud at. I give it an 8 out of 10 - fine holiday fun! :D
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

finally saw The Incredibles on DVD

I laughed :lol:
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Lizkins wrote:Watch Bill Hicks dvd last night. Unfortunately as i have read his works and watched his shows before i knew most of his jokes/points of view, etc.

But still it was damn good, and man were there bits that i was continually laughing out loud at. I give it an 8 out of 10 - fine holiday fun! :D
Who's Bill Hicks?
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

DBoy

Post by DBoy »

today a young man on acid realises that all matter is merly energy condensed to a slow vibaration............

and now heres tom with the weeather....
TimmyG

Post by TimmyG »

Lizkins wrote:Watch Bill Hicks dvd last night. Unfortunately as i have read his works and watched his shows before i knew most of his jokes/points of view, etc.

You should come over then and watch all the extremely rare footage I've got of him performing at the comedy club etc...

I finally got around to watching 2001 - A Space Odessy last night. Don't know why it's taken me this long to see it. An impressive feat for when it was made to say the least. Biggups SBS for airing it.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

great_magnet wrote:

Who's Bill Hicks?
You serious? :? He is one of the most brilliant comedians ever to walk to earth. He was kind of a prophet too. Absolutely gold stuff! I highly recommend checking out his stuff. btw - the great man unfortunately passed away back in the early 90's.

dboy - love it, he did that last night. bloody great stuff.

timmy - hell yeah! i was actually thinking you and me with a supply of beer and "other stuff" sit through all your dvds and mine :D 8) :D the thought just popped into my head while watching it last night :wink:
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Lizkins wrote:
great_magnet wrote:

Who's Bill Hicks?
You serious? :? He is one of the most brilliant comedians ever to walk to earth. He was kind of a prophet too. Absolutely gold stuff! I highly recommend checking out his stuff. btw - the great man unfortunately passed away back in the early 90's.

timmy - hell yeah! i was actually thinking you and me with a supply of beer and "other stuff" sit through all your dvds and mine :D 8) :D the thought just popped into my head while watching it last night :wink:
Hey Liz, my avatar and quote are both Bill Hicks - I was being a smart arse, ironic little turd...

Hook, line and sinker :D

He is a sheer genius 8)
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

lol
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

great_magnet wrote:
Lizkins wrote:
great_magnet wrote: Who's Bill Hicks?

Hey Liz, my avatar and quote are both Bill Hicks - I was being a smart arse, ironic little turd...

Hook, line and sinker :D

He is a sheer genius 8)
oh fuck :oops:
quick

Post by quick »

ownd :lol:
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Watched Solaris again the other night. Not the recent U.S. version with George Clooney but the Russian film from 1971 directed by Andrei Tarkovsky.

SO SO SOOOOOOO much better than the new one! Tarkovsky's images are simply amazing and the music by Eduard Artemyev is nuts. If you can find this one you really should watch it.

Big up my ACMI membership. Best money I ever spent.
quick

Post by quick »

Saw Secretary for the first time yesturday... weird and enjoyable.
mecka

Post by mecka »

Screw all these fancy schmancy live action adult films.

I bought the Spongebob Squarepants movie on friday and it is easily one of the funniest films i have ever seen.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Nah Ice Age kicks arse over all! But then again I haven't seen Sponge Bob. However i heard that it had David Hasselhof (sp?) in it to keep the adults entertained. :roll: poor kiddies, they wouldn't even know who the hell that old geezer is.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

I had to watch Spongebob 4 times at work on friday night..

I'm already so over it. Meanwhile, as soon as any kiddies see it playing they stand there for ages like > :smt118

I've also seen quite a few like :smt017

one like :smt035

and one unfortunate tyke where I was like :smt064