New Year Resolution Stop Smoking Crew?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Kirts

Post by Kirts »

Im off the sticks too. Been 5 days now. It usually a two week cycle for me. Crook for about a week and then come good.

Just caning the k's out on my bike. I find if I commit myself to some sort of athletic activity my body just rejects the cravings. Its kinda weird.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Kirts wrote:Just caning the k's out on my bike. I find if I commit myself to some sort of athletic activity my body just rejects the cravings. Its kinda weird.
Again I agree. After I quit I walked for hours a day and got pretty fit. Then I started smoking again and I lost the urge to exercise. :cry:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

just checking in to see if Ac23 is still alive!
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

the reason you cough up black shit when you quit is that youre no longer killing ciliated epithelial cells with noxious stimuli, so they strat to grow back 12 hours after smoking, and start throwing out all the shit you put in there, doing their job really.

if you havent smoked so much as to change the cells in your throat/lungs to a cell that can handle such stimuli (ie cancer, building skin cells instead of luncg tissue/ciliated epithelia) then your regular cells can be back to normal within 3 weeks
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Citizen Smif wrote:I was thinking more on the lines of cooking with herbs ;)
:oops:
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Spherix wrote:the reason you cough up black shit when you quit is that youre no longer killing ciliated epithelial cells with noxious stimuli, so they strat to grow back 12 hours after smoking, and start throwing out all the shit you put in there, doing their job really.

if you havent smoked so much as to change the cells in your throat/lungs to a cell that can handle such stimuli (ie cancer, building skin cells instead of luncg tissue/ciliated epithelia) then your regular cells can be back to normal within 3 weeks
Question.
Before I quit, I was smoking 30 a day, along with at least 10 bongs (pot + tobaccy mix). I'd been smoking since I was 13 (I'm almost 31 now). Why didn't I cough up a lot of stuff, after 4 months free of any inhalants?
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

coz you smoked too long and your cells have changed permanently?
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

deary me
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

deary you??

I'm apparently beyond repair :crybaby:
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

some of us live for the future

i love this guys sig appearing in a thread such as this one, LOL
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

So how are the quiters going?
GO CATS! GO CATS!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Spherix wrote:some of us live for the future
The future is now.

No, wait...now.

Hang on, it's now.

The future is right.............now!
yenks

Post by yenks »

kronz wrote:So how are the quiters going?
Over 20 days, and goin strong. They have pretty much been shoved in my face nearly every day as well, everyone around me seems to smoke, maybe i need to change my environment :?

Today I never really noticed how much you fuckin stink like shit after just having a ciggie, just the ppl at coles who come in straight after their break, and walk up next to you or serve you, god its disgusting, cant believe i never really noticed how bad it was before.

For me exercise is the key...and at the moment i feel great. :D
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Keep going :wink: You're doing so well. Congratulations again :D
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

yenks wrote:
kronz wrote:So how are the quiters going?
Over 20 days, and goin strong. They have pretty much been shoved in my face nearly every day as well, everyone around me seems to smoke, maybe i need to change my environment :?

Today I never really noticed how much you fuckin stink like shit after just having a ciggie, just the ppl at coles who come in straight after their break, and walk up next to you or serve you, god its disgusting, cant believe i never really noticed how bad it was before.

For me exercise is the key...and at the moment i feel great. :D
Big Ups Bro
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

After a bad start to the year, nearly losing my job, begging for remorse at work, writing a letter of plea to Human Resources to get the days I missed at worked taken out of anual leave accruement, failing to get a full pay check, being served eviction notice, and then finally getting my old job back (the one before my cruisy one) I have had one tailor made ciggie and 3 rollies. The struggle goes on.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

black star wrote:After a bad start to the year, nearly losing my job, begging for remorse at work, writing a letter of plea to Human Resources to get the days I missed at worked taken out of anual leave accruement, failing to get a full pay check, being served eviction notice, and then finally getting my old job back (the one before my cruisy one) I have had one tailor made ciggie and 3 rollies. The struggle goes on.
Keep at it. :D

Isn't it funny, it feels like all the bad stuff comes right when you're doing so well. It's like the universe tests your resolve. It's how I fell over, don't you let that happen to you too.

BIG UPS!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

still on the ciggies, but this is my 3rd day in a row without the Bong-wah

my record is 8 days, that was in 1999

:angry2:
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
yenks

Post by yenks »

breaksRbest wrote:still on the ciggies, but this is my 3rd day in a row without the Bong-wah

nice one dude!!!!

keep at it my friend.

think of the benefits, ie memory 8)
kronz

Post by kronz »

yenks wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:still on the ciggies, but this is my 3rd day in a row without the Bong-wah

nice one dude!!!!

keep at it my friend.

think of the benefits, ie memory 8)
And the ability to dream again. In the 7 years i was a stoner i dont think i had a single dream, now i have really random ones pretty much every night.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I've never had a problem dreaming, it's remembering the details of the dream that's the problem

I can only recall snippets of the dream and try to piece it together, never works though
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

breaksRbest wrote:I've never had a problem dreaming, it's remembering the details of the dream that's the problem

I can only recall snippets of the dream and try to piece it together, never works though

Has it gotten any better now that your off the pipe?? (Are you smoking at all???)

I find my dreams are vivid as hell now, and I get flashbacks all through the day as well. But at least I wake up feeling 'awake'. :D

Good on ya bRb, big up ya-self :smt023 It's a whole new world.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

It's only been 3 days, so I'm not expecting any miracles just yet

"It wont happen overnight, but it will happen" - some dumbass model
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

early days for moi:

Ciggies stopped 3 days Pot 2 days...

ok I started late alright!

Feel a bit hyper and very mentally agile... I'm liking it.

Plus the asthma is sooooo much better now :roll: :oops:
Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

lilstormer wrote: Feel a bit hyper and very mentally agile... I'm liking it.

I'm not

:lol:
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

breaksRbest wrote:It's only been 3 days, so I'm not expecting any miracles just yet

"It wont happen overnight, but it will happen" - some dumbass model
So proud of you!! :smt023
These are the days of our lolz
mecka

Post by mecka »

I quit for nearly four months last year for somebody, and then when they left me i was right back on them.

nothing for heartbreak like cigarettes.

peteybear was hypnotised and he doesnt smoke at all now.
Johnny Hooves

Post by Johnny Hooves »

Can be done dudes, 19 months cold turkey and counting (just to brag a little bit). I still get the ocassional thought in my head like "hmm, ciggy'd b nice right bout now" like a little hans moleman voice, but he's real easy to silence.

Biggup all reformed smokers and heres to greatly enhanced stamina, good breath (or at least better), and a louder voice. Anyone fancy a spot of yodeling? Oh and if any of you are drummers, your playing is going to mysteriously improve without practice. Serriously!

:smt038
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Johnny Hooves wrote:Can be done dudes, 19 months cold turkey and counting (just to brag a little bit). I still get the ocassional thought in my head like "hmm, ciggy'd b nice right bout now" like a little hans moleman voice, but he's real easy to silence.

Biggup all reformed smokers and heres to greatly enhanced stamina, good breath (or at least better), and a louder voice. Anyone fancy a spot of yodeling? Oh and if any of you are drummers, your playing is going to mysteriously improve without practice. Serriously!

19 months JohnJohn, that's impressive...and motivational. :D
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

The Mixtress wrote:
Johnny Hooves wrote:Can be done dudes, 19 months cold turkey and counting (just to brag a little bit). I still get the ocassional thought in my head like "hmm, ciggy'd b nice right bout now" like a little hans moleman voice, but he's real easy to silence.

19 months JohnJohn, that's impressive...and motivational. :D
Werd.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

i never tried a cigarette in my life, all hail me

:P
Amick

Post by Amick »

Spherix wrote:i never tried a cigarette in my life, all hail me

but you've been to enough dnb gigs to passively inhale a few cartons worth...
advocatus_diaboli

Post by advocatus_diaboli »

Not even a marijuana cigarette?

Can we start a new threat entitled:
MB MD: Get medical advice online: Your questions answered
(disclaimer: MelbourneBeats.com takes no responsibility for illness or injury sustained as a result of misdiagnosis. See a doctor if pain persists)

Anyone to start...?
gnat

Post by gnat »

BU the quitters!

Stormer and BrB- MEGA BU re the weed.

Go you good things!!

:twisted:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
deviant

Post by deviant »

I havn't touched any drugs since NYD.... I'm thinking about keeping it that way for as long as I can.

I still smoke, still drink..... but I reckon the designers rugs have to go, at least until I feel like I would enjoy them properly (like a special occaision).... just going to a club (which I do 3-4 times a week) is NOT a special occaision :roll:

Once a month would be a nice goal to aim for I think at this point.

I am seriously considering axing the ciggies though :? still not sure.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

On ya Deviant. The rugs are definitely better when there's a massive gap in between. It's like being a newbie all over again :wink:
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

Amick wrote:

but you've been to enough dnb gigs to passively inhale a few cartons worth...
haha this is true

imagine being a smoker at a gig, crikey.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

been chain smoking like a mofo since getting off the bongs though
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

Dan, do it ! do it ! do it !

I'm so nearly there in kicking the ciggies with ya.
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

HotChipps

Post by HotChipps »

i quit for 8 months solid a few years back no tobacco at all not even a drag of a spliff - it was so easy - i just decided one day at flinders st station and when a guy asked me for one i gave him the whole packet - i had the break up ciggie 8 months later - i dont understand why i am finding it so hard this time round - just remember it dosn't matter how long its been DONT HAVE THAT 'ONE' DAYS MONTHS OR YEARS LATER thats all it takes to fuck the whole process up - when you quit you QUIT FOR LYFE! I think once you get your head around that you will find it much easier......

I highly recomend Alan Carrs Books there are about 4 different versions of it the longer more complex one i have and will lend it to anyone who asks. I do recomend starting on the 4 day one though and reading the novel after that to really unravel the minds addiction completely to ensure you dont relapse.

GOODLUCK. :)
"Do you want to spend your life just in order to function? Or do you want to stand up and FIGHT for it?" - NIc Endo
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

my brain is going a million miles a minute, I'm not used to this

I just realised I missed out on breaking my record by ONE day (I slipped and had a couple on Sunday)

5 Beers & a couple of Jagers later & I'm still bouncing off the walls

On another note, I've completely lost my appetite. WTF is that all about? I thought I was supposed to get it back, in full force. For the last week or so (since giving up) I've not felt like eating AT ALL

Please tell me this is only temporary.
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

breaksRbest wrote:my brain is going a million miles a minute, I'm not used to this

I just realised I missed out on breaking my record by ONE day (I slipped and had a couple on Sunday)

On another note, I've completely lost my appetite. WTF is that all about? I thought I was supposed to get it back, in full force. For the last week or so (since giving up) I've not felt like eating AT ALL

This is only temporary...

Whilst you're in this stage you should try and take extra vitamins, particularly C and B ones, this will help.

My appetite's ok but my sleeping patterns are rather shite, which is no good as I've never had a problem in this area before.

I know what you mean about bouncing off walls I've been hyper as!

Hang in there dude, you're doing great

Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.
soma_corp

Post by soma_corp »

This thread is for me! But then again that was my resolution last year... :cry:
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I've managed to keep off tailor mades all year apart from a couple earlier in the month before I got real serious about ditching them. 11 days off chems, feels like a life time.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

breaksRbest wrote:my brain is going a million miles a minute, I'm not used to this

i think (could be wrong) that the reason you feel you are bouncing off the walls is your body is still absorbing extra oxygen (ie the same amount it did when you did smoke to combat the nicotine/nasties etc) ... so you're getting more oxygen than you're used to which is making you feel more alert etc.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

shepherd wrote:

i think (could be wrong) that the reason you feel you are bouncing off the walls is your body is still absorbing extra oxygen (ie the same amount it did when you did smoke to combat the nicotine/nasties etc) ... so you're getting more oxygen than you're used to which is making you feel more alert etc.
True. And the vitamin idea is a good one.
bRb, I suggest you try eat a massive breakfast, like scrambled eggs and stuff. It kickstarts the appetite for the whole day. Keep at it :D
yenks

Post by yenks »

curious, whos still going on this ???

Citizen Smif ??

Its been over 4 months for me now. Going strong.