The Drum & Bass Thread

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Johnny Hooves

Post by Johnny Hooves »

feelslikeafukinrevolution wrote:not quite off topic..

HOW GOOD IS THE JUNGLE SOUND GOLD CD ?

very
Wicked!

Funnilly enough i heard a compilation yesterday called radio jungle from the mid 90s, it woz soooo lush!
calstro

Post by calstro »

Johnny Hooves wrote:Actually I wanna add to that, I made the mainstream call from experience in bands. Ive seen bands with a bit of JJJ airplay get heaps more than attention than just as dope bands with none. Its easy to underestimate just how many people are listening to the radio, and also how many people dont really even know drum and bass exists.
its also the squeakiest wheel at JJJ.... enough people request stuff it gets played...

most dnb heads would never even think of requesting a dnb track thru JJJ.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

calstro wrote:
Johnny Hooves wrote:Actually I wanna add to that, I made the mainstream call from experience in bands. Ive seen bands with a bit of JJJ airplay get heaps more than attention than just as dope bands with none. Its easy to underestimate just how many people are listening to the radio, and also how many people dont really even know drum and bass exists.
its also the squeakiest wheel at JJJ.... enough people request stuff it gets played...

most dnb heads would never even think of requesting a dnb track thru JJJ.
I think there have been occasions where someone's posted a thread asking us all to request a dnb tune to see if it makes it on. Cubist comes to mind.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

feelslikeafukinrevolution wrote:not quite off topic..

HOW GOOD IS THE JUNGLE SOUND GOLD CD ?

very
lol no it isnt.

huhu
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Fents

Post by Fents »

black star wrote:
Direktor wrote:
Fents wrote:There needs to be a dnb show on Syn 90.7 (their target audience is 25y.o and under), 3 triple RR, PBS and Kiss which Joe does.
I'd love to. You have to be of a certain age and a student though... don't you?
No old men allowed. lol
You dont have to be a student, you just have to be under 25.

Best bet is to get in contact with someone who already does a show there and dosnt mind DnB and guest DJ on their show for long enuff then ask for ur own show.

AC23 played dubstep on it last sat night.
calstro

Post by calstro »

RE: Requests

And did anyone request it?

When I want dnb I put it on.. I dont make requests...

When I listen to radio.. it certainly aint for music.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

FLaFR wrote:HOW GOOD IS THE JUNGLE SOUND GOLD CD ?
want to bite Darrison's nose off!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

calstro wrote:RE: Requests

And did anyone request it?

When I want dnb I put it on.. I dont make requests...

When I listen to radio.. it certainly aint for music.
Word/ditto.

I think it got on, but then it got scrapped cause of copyright laws, something, something.

The point is, if everyone wants to expand the scene, then requesting dnb on commercial radio is a way to go.
calstro

Post by calstro »

The Mixtress wrote: The point is, if everyone wants to expand the scene, then requesting dnb on commercial radio is a way to go.
Exacto.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

gnat wrote:i'm just promoting discussion here guys..

i have a 22 yr old sister who's a househead and we took her to a d n b gig at the prince, can't remember who it was we saw now

she was like this is weird- it's really dark and everyone's got like a uniform- all black hoodies and caps and heads down, no one's really off their heads talking your ear off friendly like at house gigs

it was different to her being out with candy ravers jumping about with glow sticks i guess

we were going to take her to deep eleven! that was dark down there and pretty full on. i remember going down there for the first time about 4 years ago and just thinking holy fuck, this music is heavy

anways, re the prince d n b she didn't dig it at all at the time yet i gave her pendulum and she loved it, went to the gig and had an absolute ball

i dunno

totally agree with the darkness of venues for dnb nights, i have said and often thought it unnecessary. Some nights have been so dark i could barely see where i was even walking, and i have good eye sight! Would come across a little off putting possibly.

heh and yeah, no way would i take a non-dnb head to deep eleven, even that place freaked me out when i first went there. seemed kinda dark, dirty and like vampires were gonna jump out and attack you....could be what i was on that made me think that, but ya get the idea.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

feelslikeafukinrevolution wrote:Lets do it..

Lets band together and destroy the house scene.

lets put all our spare time into creating a drumnbass scene to rival the worlds best.
start a rebellion and make it happen..
create the music scene we want.

DISTROY DISCO..

or we can hang around and wait for it to happen
no diss but this kind of rubbish is why a music scene goes to shit - forget about trying to rid the city of music you don't like, focus on your own shit. I don't get this music superiority rubbish ... doesn't make any sense.
simcard

Post by simcard »

I am young as in 20. I have been going to only dnb gigs since i turned 18(due to an older bro) in nz and melbourne. The scene is abit older over here. I find house gigs more strange then the dnb gigs where u have to dress a certain way and dance a certain way. Its a pritty good scene here we get all the internationals way more then NZ. There are cool all day gigs such as at the espy that have more then on international DJ. All melbourne needs is some younger crowd and a local scene. But the only reason why there is no local scene is because there are internationals every second weekend. Bring ur brothers and ur sisters down people and there friends just give them some pingers.....
Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

shepherd wrote:
feelslikeafukinrevolution wrote:Lets do it..

Lets band together and destroy the house scene.

lets put all our spare time into creating a drumnbass scene to rival the worlds best.
start a rebellion and make it happen..
create the music scene we want.

DISTROY DISCO..

or we can hang around and wait for it to happen
no diss but this kind of rubbish is why a music scene goes to shit - forget about trying to rid the city of music you don't like, focus on your own shit. I don't get this music superiority rubbish ... doesn't make any sense.

Well I'm not talking about bombing one love or anything.
but, putting our energy into creating a dnb scene to rival (and hopfully take over ) the current Electro/salmon polo Scene.
Fents

Post by Fents »

The Pedge - What up partner

tune.
TheBrains

Post by TheBrains »

When I was younger, I drew parallels between metal and drum and bass. I felt a raw energy and drama in Drum n Bass that I didn't get in other styles of music besides metal. It presented an alternative to the sappy four-on-the-floor crap I was forced to listen to in shopping centres and inner-city cafe precincts...bleh.

I've always liked the idea of an underground fraternity of dnb heads. I know that promoters and producers might feel differently but I really dig that its a tight scene; you used to be able go to a show and see the same folks you saw at the last five shows.

Mixtress, when I first started going to parties I would've agreed with your little sister, it is a bit imtimidating. I remember going to a deep eleven night when Blanco and JPS played (elementz crew maybe - years ago anyways) and I went there by myself because my friends weren't into drum and bass. I was pretty overwhelmed by it all but I met some cool people some of which I became good friends with purely because I was going to the same gigs all the time. I don't think anyone can go to just one night and "get" a feel for a drum n bass crowd though. There's a bit of effort involved, the music is not so easily consumed as house or techno I reckon and it takes a certain person to get into it. I think maybe that's a good thing though because a majority of house and techno parties tend to be a bit throwaway in my opinion but then at least theres a better girl to boy ratio and people look stupid in headbands and acid wash jeans and bizarre fake tan rings around their faces and you can laugh at them... Discreetly. That's always nice :)
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

simcard wrote:Bring ur brothers and ur sisters down people and there friends just give them some pingers.....
:mrgreen:

Gnat, in reference to the Pendulum thing... I gave my friends some of their tunages too and they got into it that way, but at the end of the day my mate's are hoes and they want to be out there picking up hoes (their words not mine!) and as fun as they are and they have a good time when they come to a dnb night, they think with the same thing and that draws them to the other side!

Bring on the Unite! :wink:
nic

Post by nic »

i really liker ella hooper.

saw her in sth melb jap lunch shop
she bought gyoza i bought gyoza she didnt say anything to me.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

toolazytofindwhowrotethis wrote:Well I'm not talking about bombing one love or anything.
a little capsicum spray in the air vents perhaps?
beatski

Post by beatski »

PBS pulled my show (Better by the Pound) and asked me to do a new show that played not just dnb. I said no. I have been doing a once a month mix, every second thursday of the month on a show called The Blend, but thats no enough. I think its about time I put in a submission for a new show. Maybe they have changed their minds.
Johnny Hooves

Post by Johnny Hooves »

Do it bro!
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Johnny Hooves wrote:Actually I wanna add to that, I made the mainstream call from experience in bands.
It's cool John. I've nothing against the mainstream side of things - I used to play drums in a cover band years ago.

I merely wish to challenge the all too common assumption: that one HAS TO make commercial/accessible music in order to succeed. I still believe there's a lot to be gained for an event by establishing a good reputation, be it of quality, integrity or whatever. Most often that's what makes people come back.
NinjaGaijin

Post by NinjaGaijin »

haha 'succeed' that is a term you must define - financially or artistically? Lol :)
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Each to their own.

But if it weren't possible to succeed by making innovative and out there music, would the likes of Aphex Twin be selling albums and touring big shows all over the world?
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

Special Hegg wrote:Each to their own.

But if it weren't possible to succeed by making innovative and out there music, would the likes of Aphex Twin be selling albums and touring big shows all over the world?
Good call sir.
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

random but good d+b song

Photek: The Margin '98 (Doc Scott Remix)
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

It seems for most ppl that when they go out they want something familiar and accessible; Pendulum fit both categories.

I have loads of mates who love dnb, but they won't come to a party till Pendulum (or Roni) play. They have a great time, they love all the other djs who play, talk about it for days, yet I still struggle to get them out to another gig! I wave tickets in these guys faces all the time but they won't come out..
However if Pendulum or Roni play they'll actually get off their arse and seek out the tix themselves

This is the issue: how can we monopolise on the success of parties like BBA at Metro? How can we bring those punters back in?

Furthermore, dnb parties seriously lack ladies. Lots of ppl like to have a crack at picking up while there out... this is highly unlikely in dnb...
I'm not advocating the presence of sleaziness but the guy/gal ratio really is pretty sad innit
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

^^^having said that, i must say that i was pretty livid when i got knocked back from a dnb party in melb for being in a group of four guys!

yet still; i think it's evident that the absence of selective door policies is not the problem here...
spiral

Post by spiral »

one thing not mentioned so far is community engagement, things like sydney rd festival or northcote high st festival, get d n b + hip hop sound system is another way to raising awareness, also working with community groups, you run an hour DJ class with a bunch of somali refugees for a few months, you can pretty much guarentee they are going be coming down to your next party, time spent vs your return is likely to be more than an hour spent on commercial radio for a few months, plus something is being given back to the community
Fents

Post by Fents »

Hatsudai wrote:random but good d+b song

Photek: The Margin '98 (Doc Scott Remix)
Doc Scott - Tokyo Dawn - GLR 8)
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Sustain wrote:Furthermore, dnb parties seriously lack ladies. Lots of ppl like to have a crack at picking up while there out... this is highly unlikely in dnb...
I'm not advocating the presence of sleaziness but the guy/gal ratio really is pretty sad innit
I know what you're trying to say Sustain, but this comment made my defensive prickles stand up. "Have a crack" indeed! I don't like to be hit on when I'm at a dnb night cause I don't expect it...our community is tight and I feel safe. I can go to a gig by myself and not feel like a target.

The idea that the main reason for blokes to come out is to scout chicks makes me a little mad. I thought it was about the music ay? If you wanna "have a crack" then go to Chapel St, where the girls are there for the same reason. It's unlikely at a dnb night b/c the girls are different to the ones you'll find at Chasers or whatever. We're there for the music.

If you happen to meet a bonnie lass at a dnb night, good for you. It's not the major point though, is it?
Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

ulyssian wrote:
toolazytofindwhowrotethis wrote:Well I'm not talking about bombing one love or anything.
a little capsicum spray in the air vents perhaps?
that's more the idea.
Fents

Post by Fents »

Chill out mixy

I've meet and kissed many nice ladys through dnb gig's. In fact my last 3-4 ex's have all been through dnb gigs. Its not intentional it just happens and it makes a way more special night and when your single and on the hunt of course your going to be looking at girls every single dnb gig.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

I'm not saying not to look at girls Fents, don't be silly! Shit, I check boys out all the fucking time. Come to think of it, I check girls out too :oops:

But it seemed Sustain's motive behind the comment was to try get more chicks to dnb nights specifically so blokes can hit on them, not so we can expand girl's appreciation of the music and extend the scene.

Like I said, I knew the point he was trying to make. It was just made badly and it had the potential to make newbies girls in the scene feel like pieces of meat.
nic

Post by nic »

girls are essential at all party
flippo

Post by flippo »

Mixi, as for being a 'target'. Gees give males some credit! Guys are not predators by default for goons sake. We arent out there looking for canibal food or a thill-kill, or some other kind of potential victem. It's just love.

PLus I don't want to meet a girl who goes to chapel street to Frostbytes. Fuck that how annoying would she be. I wan't a jungle girl dammit!

Even male:female ratio at club nights just creates a more healthy and diverse social atmosphere, whether you are single, passive, activley seeking, gay or strait. It's nothing sinister.

relax :)
gnat

Post by gnat »

maybe drum and bass needs tp get some pointers off those people who take city girls to the country bcoz of the laydee drought out there

most of the chicks are full poggas though for real
Last edited by gnat on Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
flippo

Post by flippo »

poggas?!!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

I am relaxed.

The comment "having a crack" is the one I disliked. It conjures up images of exactly the things you mentioned Flippo ie: guys being predators and girls being victims. I don't relate to that, so I wrote a few words about it.

I stand by this comment:
But it seemed Sustain's motive behind the comment was to try get more chicks to dnb nights specifically so blokes can hit on them, not so we can expand girl's appreciation of the music and extend the scene.

I simply didn't like the terminology "having a crack". No girl would, I imagine.

That is all.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

:roll:

chicks. lol.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

way to all jump down a chicks throat when she expresses her opinion fellas :roll:

boys club much?

anyways, on a similar note, i played some stuff to a chick here at work and she didn't dig dnb stuff, she found it too much, but jungle she liked a lot and easy to listen too, and said she could easily go dance to something like that.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Look, I think we can ALL agree that "Fast Car" was a big old load of bollocks.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Lizkins wrote:anyways, on a similar note, i played some stuff to a chick here at work and she didn't dig dnb stuff, she found it too much, but jungle she liked a lot and easy to listen too, and said she could easily go dance to something like that.
That's cooool!! I wouldn't expect that cause jungle seems to have a longer drum sequence than most up down, up down dnb stylez.

Awesome :D

lol at Lynt
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

lynt wrote:Look, I think we can ALL agree that "Fast Car" was a big old load of bollocks.
not as bad as s-bag.
beatski

Post by beatski »

John B - Tits and Arse!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

:yawn:

I like the drum and bass, it is a nice one.

huge
old boy

Post by huge »

fooishbar wrote:
lynt wrote:Look, I think we can ALL agree that "Fast Car" was a big old load of bollocks.
not as bad as s-bag.
start da car
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

What about if we all decide a certain day in particular.... say april 1st & we all call commercial radio stations and we all request DnB tunages????
?????

Mixtress, I'm with you on the fact that you can go to a DnB night and not feel anxious or have to fend off drunken hoods. They are probably the most respectful crowd; fellas and ladies that I have ever met out (with the exception of a couple).
As my mate said though, if there were more hoes he would go for sure (sad eh!)
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I had someone try to tell me that it was great because it showed Dillinja had totally divorced content from music, truely showing he was a master in his class.

What a crock of shit.
Don't hate me for house
calstro

Post by calstro »

What about if we all decide a certain day in particular.... say april 1st & we all call commercial radio stations and we all request DnB tunages????
for starters... dnb producers would need to make radio edits of their tunes...
or much shorter tunes...

ie.. The scene was quite vibrant when tunes like LK, Shake ur Body etc were out... because those sort of tunes are the most likely to get air play... And it was these sort of tunes that ended up attracting a lot of different people to the dnb scene... and once there... they would be exposed to other styles... and maybe / maybe not like it and search for more.

AS much as I love TB.. I cant imagine JJJ ever dropping one of his tunes, and esp couldn't imagine fox or nova... (maybe Gold though :teef: )

What tunes out there at the moment have this same sort of potential?
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

calstro wrote:
for starters... dnb producers would need to make radio edits of their tunes...
or much shorter tunes...

ie.. The scene was quite vibrant when tunes like LK, Shake ur Body etc were out... because those sort of tunes are the most likely to get air play... And it was these sort of tunes that ended up attracting a lot of different people to the dnb scene... and once there... they would be exposed to other styles... and maybe / maybe not like it and search for more.

AS much as I love TB.. I cant imagine JJJ ever dropping one of his tunes, and esp couldn't imagine fox or nova... (maybe Gold though :teef: )

What tunes out there at the moment have this same sort of potential?
i'd love to hear soul patrol on the JJJ's

and as much as it has been overplayed to me jenna g's in love thing
Back from the desert to stir things up a little :)