The Travel Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
numz

Post by numz »

Stray wrote:I'd love to do a road trip like they did on Top Gear.
Buy a car for around a grand, drive it up to queensland or over to WA and then when you get there sell it and fly home.

Mind you, they bought a car each.
The girlf's parents did something like that. The Plymouth-Dakar challenge. Buy a car for under 200 squid, take the boat from the south of england to Spain. Leave Gibraltar for Morrocco. And make your way through the western Sahara to Banjul. On the way hire guides in Morrocco who are supposed to know the way, but it still often ends in peeps getting caught in dunes and soft sand. This factored in with a piece of shit which would probably be canaried in Victoria... all makes for great adventure. If your car completes the journey, it gets sold and the proceeds go to charity.

check it.
http://www.plymouth-banjul.co.uk/
huh
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

two weeks two days til thailand.

plan is to stay bk for a copule nights, then up to chaing mai for a few
then back down to island hop till a few days in bk before leaving

missions include
thai cooking course
handmade boots
tattoos!
relaxation
drinking buckets by the sea

hurry up father time, this kitten is READY.
gnat

Post by gnat »

sounds rad kitty

now, need ideas. going to cambodia in october, volunteer thingo for a kinda day orphanage for street kids. they wash there, eat there and have fun, get first aid, be creative etc- land mine casualties, victims of assault, glue sniffers, rowdy lice ridden kids with tonnes of spirit and a desperate need for some sunshine in their life

anyways, i need to design some type of activity- one long one and one short one for these kids. short one might be a ball game. long one might be putting on a dance or performance of some type, making costumes etc
limited by resources and i'm not going to be able to take much over so..

any ideas>?

i'm already taking medical supplies so will be heavy on with luggage as it is-crepe paper and light stuff ok

carn creative types 8)
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

papeir mache ??

take balloons, use newspaper and flour/water glue, can make masks, dragons, have a parade or summin??

sounds like an amazing adventure babe!!

question > two and a half weeks,
should we try to go north to chiang mai as well as islands and BK or just do islands and BK ?

and also > the boy is TERRIFIED of swimmin in the ocean. was a bit scared when he was a kid, and then had some up close and personals with a shark and a stingray, not cannot go near the water. should i coax him into the azure lushness or just let him be ?
gnat

Post by gnat »

hrm.. wouldn't bother with chang mai kitty. i hear pai (sp?) is the place to go instead up north and just for a couple of days max

re hydrophobic boy, if he can resist swimming in that water at pi pi / krabi or wherever they filmed that leo movie, i'll be seriously convinced of said phobia

good one on paper mache!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

gnat wrote:hrm.. wouldn't bother with chang mai kitty. i hear pai (sp?) is the place to go instead up north and just for a couple of days max
thats what i keep hearing, apart from his best friend who has a thai wife and says we HAVE to go there to experience the culcha for real. hmmm

trying to wing it, but the urge to have some kind of plan (yes, im a control freak) is niggling.

and he is on a budget, though im not really...

re > water > im just gonna make it look so lush he has to jump in!!!

8)
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

if you dont want go in the water when you see one of those beaches you got some issues for real.

hire a snorkle and goggles. zomg.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

oh i am!!!

i just hope he doesnt hang onto his fear, or its gonna be a wierd beach holiday!

:?
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

just flash ya boobs at him while your in the water having fun. phobia cured.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hehehe i dunno if that will work.

one can try, or at least win the affections of other tourists and scuba instructors.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

ghetto kitty wrote: question > two and a half weeks,
should we try to go north to chiang mai as well as islands and BK or just do islands and BK ?
My sisters went to Chang Mai last year after they visited us in China. They loved it up there. I think a large part of the attraction though was the place they stayed in. Pampered big time!
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

so jealous of all these people who are travelling, seems like everyone I know is away or going away soon

I haven't been O/S since 1999 :( and I can't see it happening in the near future either

waaaahhhmbulance
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Polecat wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote: question > two and a half weeks,
My sisters went to Chang Mai last year after they visited us in China. They loved it up there. I think a large part of the attraction though was the place they stayed in. Pampered big time!
can you find out the name of the place for me??

brb > waaambulance is on its way!! :wink:
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Just a warning on the radio for people to stay out of Thailand for a while - apparently there is word of a planned attack there, or something.
:shock:
(Couldn't hear properly, as my attention was diverted by a mongol customer)
Anyone got the true goss?
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

breaksRbest wrote:so jealous of all these people who are travelling, seems like everyone I know is away or going away soon

I haven't been O/S since 1999 :( and I can't see it happening in the near future either

waaaahhhmbulance
Tell me about it G. The last time I went overseas was in 1978 :shock:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Wait! Does flying to King Island count as overseas??
quick

Post by quick »

If i go to Hong Kong at the end of the year, how far is it to get to Tokyo from there? I'm thinking, while I'm there, I may as well get to as many cool places as I can...
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Little Evil wrote:Just a warning on the radio for people to stay out of Thailand for a while - apparently there is word of a planned attack there, or something.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21 ... 96,00.html
quick

Post by quick »

The Mixtress wrote:
Little Evil wrote:Just a warning on the radio for people to stay out of Thailand for a while - apparently there is word of a planned attack there, or something.
oh shit my Mum is over there at the moment... need to call her.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

quick wrote:If i go to Hong Kong at the end of the year, how far is it to get to Tokyo from there? I'm thinking, while I'm there, I may as well get to as many cool places as I can...
do it, aruond a four hour flight or so,tokyo is amazing, its like a planet of city!!

and FUCK, terrorism in BK!!!

im not cancelling anything! will avoid big nightclubs and shopping malls then, and we arrive after songkrahm fetival so might be okay?

fucking terrorists.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

gnat wrote:sounds rad kitty

now, need ideas. going to cambodia in october, volunteer thingo for a kinda day orphanage for street kids. they wash there, eat there and have fun, get first aid, be creative etc- land mine casualties, victims of assault, glue sniffers, rowdy lice ridden kids with tonnes of spirit and a desperate need for some sunshine in their life

anyways, i need to design some type of activity- one long one and one short one for these kids. short one might be a ball game. long one might be putting on a dance or performance of some type, making costumes etc

any ideas>?

i'm already taking medical supplies so will be heavy on with luggage as it is-crepe paper and light stuff ok

carn creative types 8)
mrj's sister pwns creative stuff with kids. She knows where it is at.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
gnat

Post by gnat »

C.I.A. wrote:
gnat wrote:sounds rad kitty

any ideas>?

carn creative types 8)
mrj's sister pwns creative stuff with kids. She knows where it is at.
yeh, i already tapped that resource and waiting for a brief synopsis of excellent activities to claim as my own 8)

anyone done an intrepid tour? looking at ten day one for laos...
Stray

Post by Stray »

quick wrote:
The Mixtress wrote:
oh shit my Mum is over there at the moment... need to call her.
Shepherd is over there too.. ah.. so that's who he's with!

:teef:
gnat

Post by gnat »

i is going to hug the tigers at the temple in kanchanaburi

:blob2: :blob3: :blob4: :blob5:
ArrBee

Post by ArrBee »

Just paid for our trip to Fiji.
Yay!

Was in Philippines the other week and rediscovered the joy of snorkelling. A week of pondering and sussing out and our anniversary long weekend away somewhere local turned into a week in Fiji.

Now I just have to convince Helen to try diving ;)
LOL

And best of all, no annual leave gets used. Sweeet.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

ArrBee wrote:Now I just have to convince Helen to try diving ;)
You're dreaming :P LOL
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

ArrBee wrote:Just paid for our trip to Fiji.
Yay!

Was in Philippines the other week and rediscovered the joy of snorkelling. A week of pondering and sussing out and our anniversary long weekend away somewhere local turned into a week in Fiji.

Now I just have to convince Helen to try diving ;)
LOL

And best of all, no annual leave gets used. Sweeet.
Where did you go in Phillipines? What did you get up to (if anything!) aside from snorkeling? Good beaches/food? Thanks!

Re: Chang Mai and Northern Thailand: It's definately bloody awesome up there, and more "cultured" than around the islands obviously. But it's cooler and not as relaxing. It all depends on what you are trying to get out of your trip. If you want a great relaxing time in the sun with a bit of partying and shopping then it sounds like you would be better off just doing islands with a couple days in Bangers.

As with all travelling: don't try to do too much or you'll spend all your time on transport and in the most touristed places. Take some time in one spot (even if only a few days) and find somewhere you really like that will leave a lasting impression.

End Rant.

Gnat: still reckon you'd be fine going solo in Laos. Pretty well trodden route. Intrepid are pretty pricey I think If you do tour it: make sure you choose a trip where you have time off to get a bit of serenity away from the 2 annoying fuckers who will no doubt be on the tour with you. pm if want :wink:
ArrBee

Post by ArrBee »

dengelman wrote:
Where did you go in Phillipines? What did you get up to (if anything!) aside from snorkeling? Good beaches/food? Thanks!
I went for work.

I was in Cebu and then took a boat to Bohol for my last weekend there.
Didn't get up to much but enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere that Cebu has (Manilla is supposed to be a lot more full on).
Bohol is a large island about 2-3 hrs away. everyone goes there and does an island tour. This is the place where Tarsir come from. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarsier
and it also has the chocolate hills. basically coral deposits that, thru acidic rain, have been shaped into conical hills dotted around a large plain area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_Hills
Also there is some nice beach area.

The food was interesting...
Mostly grills and fried stuff. Their idea of fastfood foodcourt is pretty cool I reckon.

You grab a tray and grab the food you find most interesting. Grilled squid, pork belly, pork chops, pork skewers, crab balls, pork/vege rolls, casserole things, rice, roast port, chicken, grilled fish, noodle soups, etc etc.
All available in small serves so you can get 1 + rice for a light lunch, or combine as many depending how hungry you are. I was like a kid in a candy store, and always over ordered!!

The coolist "new food" that I tried was a whole eggplant grilled black, then skin removed and dipped in a egg/chopped vege batter and then pan fried. It was awsome!

most of the local food centers around the same style.
There are of course other options. Chinese, thai pizza etc.

San Mig Pilsen was the beer of choice for me there.
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Off to Byron bay in a weeks time, cant wait for a good holiday. Flights for 2 of us were only $550 with Virgin B) A mate rekons he will take us on a bus to Nimbin haha, has anyone on here been there? Ive heard nothing but funny stories about the place!
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Went to the uk and norway a couple of months ago.

Love the advertising in Norway...

Mandatory link here
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

BammBamm wrote:Off to Byron bay in a weeks time, cant wait for a good holiday. Flights for 2 of us were only $550 with Virgin B) A mate rekons he will take us on a bus to Nimbin haha, has anyone on here been there? Ive heard nothing but funny stories about the place!
I have indeed been to Nimbin. It's a shell of its former self now, as even geriatics go there to have a gander at the "pot heads". Once upon a time it was mostly pot when I was going there in the late 80's to early 90's. Then the town seem to have a lot more people on smack, speed and more, who were just selling pot to tourists to fund harder drug habits.

I have fond memories though of sitting out in the back garden of the Nimbin Cafe, next to the Nimbin Museum, enjoying the view, laughing at the pot plant growing in the garden, talking with the strange locals and of course... enjoying a joint with our coffee :)

Great countryside around the Byron hinterland. Enjoy your time up there. It'll be much greener than Melbs!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

off to thailand tommororw!!

no more boy coming, now good lady friend spontaneoulsy coming!

no plans at ALL, got street artist hookups the day after i get there...

adventure here we come!!!
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

can't beleive only 6 weeks til i leave. :shock:

looks like helsinki could be back on the agenda. woot!!
edit: if i can find a flight for < 50 euros. :? :(
edit #2: which looks absolutely impossible. :cry:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

ArrBee wrote:Just paid for our trip to Fiji.
Yay!

Fiji is high on my list of possibilities for my next holiday, probably around September.

Where are you guys staying?

All I wanna do is sit on a nice beach, eat seafood, drink beer and repeat
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

apophenian wrote:Went to the uk and norway a couple of months ago.

Love the advertising in Norway...

Mandatory link here
yeah, they had the 'we love boobs' ads in bus shelters here (finland) and in all the newspapers for a few months last year too. i wasn't complaining. ;)
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

witty_pseudonym wrote:can't beleive only 6 weeks til i leave. :shock:

looks like helsinki could be back on the agenda. woot!!
edit: if i can find a flight for < 50 euros. :? :(
edit #2: which looks absolutely impossible. :cry:
not to worry, lady. next time, helsinki/stockholm/tallinn. :thumbup:

clickair can do bcn<->hel for about €130 return, all inclusive, if that helps.

see you in barca! :D
menace

Post by menace »

what dates u in barc ? fooishbar ?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

menace wrote:what dates u in barc ? fooishbar ?
13th - 20th (or so), 25th - 27th, june. you?
menace

Post by menace »

ohh 3 till the 11 ... goin give sonar a miss
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

anyone here been to vegas? wouldn't mind going for a week or so towards the end of the year. I know Fickusssss was just there.
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

Shep (and GK, others...) where did you go in Thailand?

I've been a couple times, but only been a few places and not for a few years... Sure all the beaches I went to are now dead.

Thinking about going back for a bit of sun next month. Which beaches did you hit up?
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

in Thailand I've been to

Bangkok (lots of fun ... very hot but pretty vibrant. Great restaurants, lots to do)

Koh Samui (been twice in 2 years. Great beaches, amazing restaurants, good bars, nice people, great hospitality, snorkelling, diving, jet skiing, hiking etc - love the place purely for the relaxation)

Phuket - went a while ago. Nice but I'd hit Samui.

Other places to look at are Hua Hin (in Gulf of Thailand - the royal family of Thailand holiday here) - heard great reports

Krabi - not as touristy

Ko Tao - nth of Samui. Looked amazing when we went there for the day. Just beautiful!
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

#1 Koh Lanta
#2 Koh Chang
#3 Laemthong Beach, Ko Phi Phi Don

All these places are amazing and away from the tourist masses :D
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

Thanks guys.

Not sure when you were last in Ko Chang SQ... think you might find it a bit different now. I was there in 2001 (lots of construction going up) and then in 2004/5 (hotels everywhere, building more everywhere).

I dont think I would go bcak there now unless I had heaps of time and just wanted to see it... There is a full road and the Thai govt plicy has been to attract big spenders and weekenders from BKK, and to get rid of the backpackers...

I'm thinking I'll go to Ko Tao. Would love to go to Phi Phi Don but June/July is serious rain season on that side of the coast...

Haven't completely ruled out Japan but looking unlikely...

Yay! Holiday Planning is Fun! :D
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

dengelman wrote:Thanks guys.

Not sure when you were last in Ko Chang SQ... think you might find it a bit different now. I was there in 2001 (lots of construction going up) and then in 2004/5 (hotels everywhere, building more everywhere).

I dont think I would go bcak there now unless I had heaps of time and just wanted to see it... There is a full road and the Thai govt plicy has been to attract big spenders and weekenders from BKK, and to get rid of the backpackers...

I'm thinking I'll go to Ko Tao. Would love to go to Phi Phi Don but June/July is serious rain season on that side of the coast...

Haven't completely ruled out Japan but looking unlikely...

Yay! Holiday Planning is Fun! :D
was on koh tao in january last year, it was really good, especially if you are into diving/snorkelling. not over developed yet but on the way...
Back from the desert to stir things up a little :)
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

ko tao is awesome - exciting just thinking about it. I am definitely going there next year for my sun break!
lynt

Post by lynt »

:love: Koh Tao!
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

Nice to feel the Ko Tao love.

Which beaches did people stay at?

This may help: (from travelfish which is quite a good site for SE Asia)

numz

Post by numz »

not a hell of a lot to do in koh lanta, but at least you can ride a bike around. Its a pretty big island compared to the rest.

but then again, you only really go to dive, drink and do shit all.
huh