overinflated ticket prices.

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
ghetto kitty

overinflated ticket prices.

Post by ghetto kitty »

now, THIS is something new.

$130/80 for daft punk
$75 for VANILLA ICE?!

i mean, ive spent probably over $2k on tickets alone for gigs in the last year, but I cant justify all of them, all the ones I want to go to. and im in the damn industry, its a priority for me! what about joe bloe tho?

and then a reasonably poor turnout for dj Z trip, the jungle brothers, J5, soup, DJ format, and lost of people bitching about that ticket price of $75

then there is the issue of big things selling out in TWO minutes?
i mean come ON!

Gigs like RATM and the BDO should be able to be accomodated in a city like melburn.

what the fuck is gonig on?
is the industry heading towards $100 gigs, no matter who or what they are? Add drinks and taxi fares and a night out is gonig to cost HALF of the median wage for a week. thats working damn hard to play hard.
is that the fucknig future?
Is there any way these gigs are gonig to be sustainable in the long run?

maybe im ranting but thats todays thoughts...
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

SUPPORT LOCAL!
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Format was only half full??? DAMN!!!

How was SS?

8)
nic

Post by nic »

Don't think its too bad really $75 was completely fine for Swollen Members and that dude ztrip who supported them.

Shadow was $80 a couple years back, J5 and Blackalicious were $75 2 years back as well. Doesn't it have somethings o do with the venue size/cost as well?

seems sustainable to me

don't like the prices? - don't go

(but vanilla ice 75 lol die thats crap, but if you are a true fan u will pay)
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

nic wrote:... but if you are a true fan u will pay)
Exactly the point I think Nic. I don't want anyone to barely break even on a gig but I sure as shit don't want them making 50% on the tickets

OB1, SS was pretty full but not completely. 70-75% capacity maybe a little on either side.

I'm all about percentages tonight apparently
:wink:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

I actually think 130 for Daft Punk is not that ridiculous. It is actually a festival with 5 (short) supports that would not have been cheap. Considering the rig they must be bringing over for the audiovisual feast I had no problems paying it.

And not at all surprised at Vanilla Ice price - it is difficult for me to see that tour as anything but a money making exercise.

Not trying to be argumentative Kitty, just thought those examples not too surprising. I too have noted the thousands of bucks I am spending on gigs. In general though, I find it is worth it. If I was too cut back on anything, it would be the booze/taxis, not the tickets to see artists I really like.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

In regards to ticket prices...

Ozo a while back. 2 tix @ $50.00 each. Cat Empire opened. Rad show, well worth it.

G Love earlier this year. 2 tix @ about $50.00 each. Prince of Wales. Well worth every penny. 2 hour set, weeknight, G rocked it!

We paid $55.00 each for John Butler tix a few months back. Missed the opening band, JBT played for 2 hours and it was more than worth it. I would've paid $75.00 each, no worries.

Going to Beautiful Girls on Wednesday night, $33.00 each.

The point...

Very rarely do I see a band (act) for a high price that doesn't come with the goods. They wouldn't be in the business for long charging high dollars without backing it up with a solid show.

Ticket prices have skyrocketed, but I've realized living here for so long that you gotta accept it if you want to see the quality acts. Not happy bout it, but what can I do? I love live music too much.

8)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

obliveus wrote: Very rarely do I see a band (act) for a high price that doesn't come with the goods. They wouldn't be in the business for long charging high dollars without backing it up with a solid show.

Ticket prices have skyrocketed, but I've realized living here for so long that you gotta accept it if you want to see the quality acts. Not happy bout it, but what can I do? I love live music too much.

8)
I agree with this.
I wasnt trying to bitch about paying for the gigs i go to, im totally up for supporting both local AND international acts I want to see.

My rant came more from the things i hear as a promoter, seeing GREAT gigs that are totally worth the cash (like what i meant by talking about z trip) half full on a saturday night, and then missing out on the gigs id most love to go to cause of the sold out in two minutes factor.

and constantly hearing of/from people who want to go support the plethora of gigs on offer, but cant afford two tickets or entries a night/weekend.

Most the answers here have misunderstood my initial post, so i guess it may have been jsut an ill focused rant.
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

ghetto kitty wrote:Most the answers here have misunderstood my initial post, so i guess it may have been jsut an ill focused rant.
:lol: Hope it felt good to get it off your chest mate!!
chestwig

Post by chestwig »

vanilla ice is $50. Daft Punk also has presets, sebastian & kavinsky, and cut copy. each of these acts would easily carry a $30 + price tag for a solo show...it all adds up....thats entertainment!
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

chestwig wrote:Daft Punk also has presets, sebastian & kavinsky, and cut copy. each of these acts would easily carry a $30 + price tag for a solo show...it all adds up....thats entertainment!
Damn falls and big day out etc would be expensive events if they were priced like this!
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Aret they all charging more on tickets to make up for the lost revenue from reduced album sales because everyone is downloading their stuff for free?

Back in the day, they'd be getting their cut from ablum/single sales but now I guess they rely on tickets/touring a lot more to make up that difference?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

obliveus wrote:Format was only half full??? DAMN!!!
Format had 4 people on the entire dancefloor.

Filled up later tho.
Don't hate me for house
gnat

Post by gnat »

i don't really have an issue with paying the ticket price bcoz usually i want to see them so bad and i expect a smashing gig for my money

i actually get confused-for example i thought 100 bucks to see rage was crazy cheap- expected much much more. the only time it really bothers me that gigs are carrying a 50 price tag is when i don't really know what i'm up for and i'm just interested in going for a sticky. usually this works out in my favour- ie amon tobin but i have missed a few due to bank balance not stretching to my constant curiosity

major gripe is the struggle to keep fundage up to the ticket buying. i have easily just waxed 300 bucks in the past two weeks- inc NYD

it's that time of year. will lap dance for cash

perhaps at barcode..
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

ctoafn_DMZ wrote:Aret they all charging more on tickets to make up for the lost revenue from reduced album sales because everyone is downloading their stuff for free?

Back in the day, they'd be getting their cut from ablum/single sales but now I guess they rely on tickets/touring a lot more to make up that difference?
touring was always the big money maker for music artists. releasing records just makes money for the record companies in comparison.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

gnat wrote:it's that time of year. will lap dance for cash
santa has so much to answer for.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
SONUS

Post by SONUS »

I wouldn't worry about daft punk to much, seems like 2 french dudes in helmets with a 909 a 303 some cheesy electro house loops and a bucket full of hype
grooki

Post by grooki »

I think people do charge too much - If it's a festival or something then over $80 is fine. For single acts, and especially a dj, who is only one person. A whole band has to get paid, then I feel better about paying more... Having said that, I generally go out to djs.

Dubstep is still cheap :D
http://www.soundcloud.com/grooki

Poised above the void on a cloud of dreams, Everything I grasp is sand through my hands
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

dengelman wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:Most the answers here have misunderstood my initial post, so i guess it may have been jsut an ill focused rant.
:lol: Hope it felt good to get it off your chest mate!!
:roll: man you love arguing with me lately.

i was wanting a DISCUSSION > you know, when people dont nesscarily have to DISAGREE, but merely state thier point.

as i said > im not bitching about paying for acts i want to see, and its up to the punter to decide whether each gig is worth the coin,
but as a promoter AND punter, i just worry about the future of these gigs,
and I AM really gutted that certain gigs are pretty much impossible to get tickets for..
(RATM is the best value of all these big acts lately IMO, and me gots no ticket :()

this >
major gripe is the struggle to keep fundage up to the ticket buying
is what im getting at. here, we ARE music lovers, music is a major priority in our lives. yet there is still so many gigs we miss out on casue you simply cant go to ALL of them.

i was talking with steve who runs F4 the other day, and with PPCA, lisencing changes etc etc, we were wondering if the music industry isnt getting to be less and less sustainable as a form of entertainment for the widner population.

we were hypothesising, perhaps people in the next gen will rather go to movies etc?

these are jsut thoughts, ideas. not solid steel opinions. nobody needs to get on their soap box and argue with me. but gladly, put your five cents into the mix.
gnat

Post by gnat »

system wrote:
:lol:

he has a hot sack
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

gnat wrote:
system wrote:

he has a hot sack
apparently he doesnt open it for naughty girls, but we know better dont we?

:twisted:
gnat

Post by gnat »

lol GK

hope he looks like clive owen
nic

Post by nic »

I wouldn't worry about daft punk to much, seems like 2 french dudes in helmets with a 909 a 303 some cheesy electro house loops and a bucket full of hyp
:scr1pt: x 10
french dudes in helmets :lol:
cuznmatt

Post by cuznmatt »

i remember going to the big day out in 1992 for $39.95. people out the front were selling tickets for $20-30. the meanies came on stage to open the day saying 'you paid 39 bucks to come in here today, here's a dollars worth' and then broke out into scum.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

It's harder for us because most peeps on here are into all kinds of music.

There's a constant stream of artists we wanna see so it feels like we're constantly on Ticketmaster forking out out hard earned

I think most of the tickets prices I've seen lately have been pretty fair, there's just too many of them and my wallet can't keep up

having said all that, I wouldn't complain if they were cheaper

and finally, I've found the ones who bitch the most are the same ones who get Industry priced tickets :lol:
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Agree, RATM was amazing value.

$100 for a HUGE 3pce reformed band - one private show only is great value.

Makes you wonder about the pricing on some other gigs really.

$115 for Nas (who cancels anyway). $50-odd for Vanilla Ice.

Oh well, "overcharge it and will they will come?" - supply vs demand. Surely if things are too expensive, they won't sell and the promoter will be left licking their wounds?
Or maybe not... I guess there's some artists you'd pay an arm and a leg to see regardless.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

If I were a proper perfomer, I'd FAR prefer to have a mad packed venue full of vibe then to make a little extra dosh and have it be half full.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

mixtress wrote:If I were a proper perfomer, I'd FAR prefer to have a mad packed venue full of vibe then to make a little extra dosh and have it be half full.
sure, but tours are expensive. and you do need to come out on top, or is it worth it? same as a promoter, id rather lose a bit and have the room full of great people, but it is a balancing game....

and direkt > i am fucknig gutted i dont have a ticket to RATM. id pay double.

gutted kitty :(
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

breaksRbest wrote:
and finally, I've found the ones who bitch the most are the same ones who get Industry priced tickets :lol:

this same arguments goes for people who bitch about other peeps not showing up for gigs but they get industry or free entry :roll:

anyways, i think the tickets are over priced, but only cos i remember what they used to be, and my bank account kicks me when i buy tickets these days.

i think the thing that peeves me off though is when an act comes along and i pay my $30-$40 (this for dnb) or $100 (for big name) and then they are crap (IMO). Makes me not want to spend my money on tickets as much unless i know they are def gonna bring the gold....like Z-Trip!!!! I would happily have given him a tip or something lol
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Lizkins wrote: this same arguments goes for people who bitch about other peeps not showing up for gigs but they get industry or free entry :roll:
i dont quite understand that...

everyone who gets industry or free entry SHOULD go to every gig?
gnat

Post by gnat »

the police $150
rage $100
z trip $60
NYD $90
unkle $60

and soon to add future and v

plus autobots and whatever else comes up

i'm trying for kings of leon too

death to bank account
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I don't even wanna try & add up what I've spent on tickets in teh passed couple of months
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

man i have to go see unkle. where tix gnat?

staying away from NY in city.

will pay $300 for RATM ticket.
but cant justify daft punk spend.

do NOT want to add up gigs in the last year. scary shit.
gnat

Post by gnat »

http://www.princebandroom.com.au/index. ... nt&eid=602

lol green velvet also playing prince soon

those little pills that kill a million brain cells

now that's in my head it's gonna be there for weeks
Ides-GotFunk?

Post by Ides-GotFunk? »

you guys should learn to live with it... the hit that promoters take at the hip pocket with one party is often only equalled with what they make at their more successful shows.

we've had it sweeter than sweet for decades in melbourne... i'm sorry, but i say you should learn to live with increasing prices and also learn to give your money to ppl who will suitably value it for what its worth to our community as a whole.
http://www.myspace.com/got_funk

Feb 15 (07)::FK5 vs THUNDERBALL
Nov 24 (07)::REPHRASE

27 DEC :: MBBB returns!!!
MAR 2010 :: WMC USA :D

ides :smt055 parov stelar
gnat

Post by gnat »

thank you muzak chopra

:teef:
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

dengelman wrote:I actually think 130 for Daft Punk is not that ridiculous. It is actually a festival with 5 (short) supports that would not have been cheap. Considering the rig they must be bringing over for the audiovisual feast I had no problems paying it.

And not at all surprised at Vanilla Ice price - it is difficult for me to see that tour as anything but a money making exercise.

Not trying to be argumentative Kitty, just thought those examples not too surprising. I too have noted the thousands of bucks I am spending on gigs. In general though, I find it is worth it. If I was too cut back on anything, it would be the booze/taxis, not the tickets to see artists I really like.
It was stupidly overpriced if the only you act you rate on the bill is Daft Punk and all you are getting is 1.5 hours....

I mean i would not call the Daft Punk a festival, and if they are trying to sell it as a festival, then either better and more acts or more of Daft Punk...

I am gutted i will miss DP but at the end of the day hell glad i didn;t waste money on a ticket to it either, Presets...please
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Meredith and Golden Plains have been great investments fro me this year.

Also I don't think you have to go if you have a free ticket. You don't even have to go if you have paid for a ticket.
Stray

Post by Stray »

I think the lineup for the daft punk gig is great and am happy to pay the ticket price.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Ides-GotFunk? wrote:you guys should learn to live with it... the hit that promoters take at the hip pocket with one party is often only equalled with what they make at their more successful shows.

we've had it sweeter than sweet for decades in melbourne... i'm sorry, but i say you should learn to live with increasing prices and also learn to give your money to ppl who will suitably value it for what its worth to our community as a whole.
nobody is bitching here as far as i see it!
maybe about the AMOUNT of great gigs they want to go to, but pretty much EVERYONE here is happy to pay to support whoever they love, at whatever price!

for some people vanilla ice will be gig of the year. each to their own.

i was only trying to garner some idea if this incresing of prices will be sustainable for promoters ANd punters alike. i am both. that is all.

kitty loves you, and wishes she was gonig to daft punk.
nic

Post by nic »

i also think drinks are too exy
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

drinks/ door fees will all get more expensive if the PPCA gets their way.

:?
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

ghetto kitty wrote:
Ides-GotFunk? wrote:you guys should learn to live with it... the hit that promoters take at the hip pocket with one party is often only equalled with what they make at their more successful shows.

nobody is bitching here as far as i see it!
maybe about the AMOUNT of great gigs they want to go to, but pretty much EVERYONE here is happy to pay to support whoever they love, at whatever price!

for some people vanilla ice will be gig of the year. each to their own.

i was only trying to garner some idea if this incresing of prices will be sustainable for promoters ANd punters alike. i am both. that is all.

kitty loves you, and wishes she was gonig to daft punk.
I do not mind paying prices, as Kitty has said, but like any other service I expect value for money, and sometimes quite frankly you just do not get it...

I am more than versed in what goes into putting gigs on, I grew up in recording studios and at nights due to a muso father, doesn't change the fact that some events are well over priced for the show you get in return....

That is why now i go to a few things and enjoy myself and let alot pass me by...

Kitty - i would sell the nanna to see Daft Punk, but only them am afraid
Stray

Post by Stray »

How much do you want for your nanna?

Ides-GotFunk?

Post by Ides-GotFunk? »

gnat wrote:thank you muzak chopra

I'm not sure what a chopra is but i know you're dissin me lady, check yo'teef at the door foo'!!
;)

hey kitty >> didnt intend to say that we shouldnt bitch about it... or even discuss it, this thread interests me muchly. Ive had this topic thrown at me heaps over the years from both sides of the fence... if anything, i'm bitching that they should increase, esp the week to week places!!

these issues surrounding money would be solved if we had a DJ/nightclub Union...

that is all, i'll leaf now :sad11:

tactik

Post by tactik »

... if anything, i'm bitching that they should increase, esp the week to week places!!

these issues surrounding money would be solved if we had a DJ/nightclub Union...
Shall we start a charity?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Ides-GotFunk? wrote:
good idea. if only everyone wasnt partyin so hard.

gnat

Post by gnat »

Ides-GotFunk? wrote:

I'm not sure what a chopra is but i know you're dissin me lady, check yo'teef at the door foo'!!
;)

no deepak for you miss ides?!
Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

AVOID OVER INFLATED TICKET PRICES !

COME TO BASS CAMP FOR FREE.

THURSDAYS AT LOUNGE !

http://melbournebeats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12098

Ides-GotFunk?

Post by Ides-GotFunk? »

gnat wrote:
Ides-GotFunk? wrote:

;)

no deepak for you miss ides?!
Deepak Chopra
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Deepak Chopra (Hindi: दीपक चोपड़ा; born October 22, 1946) is an Indian medical doctor and writer. He has written extensively on spirituality and diverse topics in mind-body medicine. He claims to be influenced by the teachings of Vedanta and the Bhagavad Gita from his native India, and quantum physics. He also said that he has been profoundly influenced by the teachings of J Krishnamurti. [1]His teachings have had a profound influence on the The New Thought Movement which has embraced him in the U.S .

:jerk: @gnat

everything is solved with onions