"groundbreaking" drum and bass

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

play nice.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
on tour

Post by on tour »

Maybe i have had too much acid in my life and as a result, i am blessed with the ability to see many different shades of light when it is enshrouded within the shadows of negativity.

Drum and Bass is still 'groundbreaking' now as it was before. There are intelligent producers out there are using the available technology in ways never thought possible, coming up with sounds and shapes that beg for the tower of terror to return. So many artists in this world are making tunes that although take their influence from the music's history, are still pushing boundaries. We're discussing a genre of music that is fundamentally based upon the most simplistic of concepts - the drum and the bass. Rhythm. So would it be fair to say that it is a boundless entity and in reality only limited by the imagination of those writing such compositions? And isn't the generic rubbish we tend to hear in this day and age partly the result of those who dj and promote the music, the labels that need to make money so don't take so many chances? There has always been such tight security around how it should be played or how it should be made that the majority of the international drum and bass population, especially those discovering it in recent times, are familiar with the mundane crap that can be dished out. I mean to survive as a drum and bass artist in the UK it appears that one has to make the kind of DnB monkeys would churn out if they were taught to push buttons that made a sound in return for 'treats'.

Amit brought new vibe to the table, Proket, his mixing and selection is off the hook and probably suicidal to hear through a solid rig on speed, Current Value, the sonics that appear on Dom's releases are frightening and epic, Lynx and the boys that push minimal, Implex and his psycadelic tendacies, Limewax's production and drum structures are genius, listen to Raiden when he comes out and deny his blend of quality techno w/ DnB has all been done before, I have some PBK releases that you could play at Rainbow and i guarantee the Isreali's psy heads could grow to appreciate in their own psy way, some of Masheen's stuff is a little challenging to just drop without regard, Leon Switch and Kryptic Minds are making deep music to be heard through state of the art rigs, the progressive influence in 'Spacecoke'...

What i think will happen is that DnB will start drawing more and more influence from other music that it will one day, prove even more difficult to categorize. And also more and more, producers will look to the past to see where it can go. And it will also be cursed because to really appreciate this music is serious soundsystems tuned by pro's that know what bass looks like. Soundsystems engineered for Drum and Bass and nothing else. We don't have that here in Melbourne.
We will chant with robes on you will learn...
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Interesting read and a great outlook. I believe that if you think a genre is stagnant or the there is a lack of boundry pushing releases, you probably are not looking in the right places. This is not limited to DnB.

I think the comment about the soundsystems is interesting. I recently had a conversation about a mix that was being played at a party. I think it was a Commix mix from last year. As it goes, and we have all said it, it would have sounded better on a bigger system. Surely as producers become more and more refined in the technology available, more and more will DnB require better sound to hear the intricacies of the production. (even more so than now?) A curse? not so sure about that, just part of what makes listening to it such a special experience.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

this thread wasnt meant to be negative about dnb in general (least isnt what i had in mind) just thought the press release for the album was a bit misleading.

loads of good dnb around, but like nay genre its mostly outweighed by loads more shit stuff/rechurned garbage lolz imo ffs omg wtf
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Yeah Lex. I hear ya except...
on tour wrote:And it will also be cursed because to really appreciate this music is serious soundsystems tuned by pro's that know what bass looks like. Soundsystems engineered for Drum and Bass and nothing else. We don't have that here in Melbourne.
Heartical Hi Fi

Twice I been to UK and I heard a number of systems inculding Dillinjas Valve System. I believe Heartical Hi Fi sounds better than Valve. Valve and many other club nights in London use front loaded 18" subs. Heartical Hi Fi use J Bins. It's a more organic Big Bass feel.

The only other Sound System I heard that sounds better than Heartical is Irration Steppas in Leeds http://www.irationsteppas.co.uk But its build and run in the same way as Heartical. J Bins with custom built pre amp.

Melbourne is running propa sound. Heartical Hi Fi Sound System.
Fents

Post by Fents »

Cubist wrote:Yeah Lex. I hear ya except...
on tour wrote:And it will also be cursed because to really appreciate this music is serious soundsystems tuned by pro's that know what bass looks like. Soundsystems engineered for Drum and Bass and nothing else. We don't have that here in Melbourne.
Heartical Hi Fi

Twice I been to UK and I heard a number of systems inculding Dillinjas Valve System. I believe Heartical Hi Fi sounds better than Valve. Valve and many other club nights in London use front loaded 18" subs. Heartical Hi Fi use J Bins. It's a more organic Big Bass feel.

The only other Sound System I heard that sounds better than Heartical is Irration Steppas in Leeds http://www.irationsteppas.co.uk But its build and run in the same way as Heartical. J Bins with custom built pre amp.

Only right thing to do now would be to book lex for a 4am (2 hour) assault with all these new dark bits he has to play on the heartical system yes?
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

The Heartical Hi Fi would sound a lot better if you positioned it a lot better inside the night owl. Trust me, I'm not just a pretty face!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

DEAN G wrote:The Heartical Hi Fi would sound a lot better if you positioned it a lot better inside the night owl. Trust me, I'm not just a pretty face!
But you is defintely a pretty face my boy, oh yes! :wink:
on tour

Post by on tour »

Spherix wrote:this thread wasnt meant to be negative about dnb in general (least isnt what i had in mind) just thought the press release for the album was a bit misleading.

loads of good dnb around, but like nay genre its mostly outweighed by loads more shit stuff/rechurned garbage lolz imo ffs omg wtf
I understood exactly where you were coming from dude, and i know you weren't negative. It is a pity that i ain't getting any more pieces like ebola, clarity, psyphon, pterion, soulwork, and so on. HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Some of the best material to come out of Melbourne and so for that i will work forever!!!!!

And Eden, even though i haven't had the opportunity to hear your system yet, i would be impressed if those who designed and built it did so with the sole purpose to play DnB. From what i hear it is serious sound. But this is what i meanhttp://www.voov-experience.com/lang/de/e_sndsys.html

The system they use at voov took years to refine and now is reputed to be the best in the world for psycadelic trance. Nothing else.

And Boom festival have finally found how to tweak the complete Funktion One for their epic festival.http://www.funktion-one.com/Boom-2006.htm http://www.funktion-one.com/Boom-2006.htm[url]

Dedicated systems.

Please don't think that i'm disregarding the P.A. Don't get me wrong but you see my perspective????[/url]
on tour

Post by on tour »

And i only used psy as an example because one could argue that it manipulates sound as much as solid DnB does. Different frequencies but still.....
L-J

Post by L-J »

system wrote:i've heard at least one dubstep tune that could chart very well commercially.

Tes La Rok-Round The World Girls...i could imagine this doing well in charts...or even that Black Ghost's Tune.

Its not as snorestep as many of u belive...Just gotta look a lil deeper.

P.S this album is alright 8)
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Fents wrote:
Cubist wrote:Yeah Lex. I hear ya except...
Heartical Hi Fi

Only right thing to do now would be to book lex for a 4am (2 hour) assault with all these new dark bits he has to play on the heartical system yes?
Yes, Defianately!
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

on tour wrote:And Boom festival have finally found how to tweak the complete Funktion One for their epic festival.http://www.funktion-one.com/Boom-2006.htm
:shock:
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

DEAN G wrote:The Heartical Hi Fi would sound a lot better if you positioned it a lot better inside the night owl. Trust me, I'm not just a pretty face!
the best ive heard heartical is in a back yard. the night owl is pretty poky for that pa, makes hard work for the system - plus it rattles to buggery
where would you set it up in there?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Heartical HiFi PR wrote:Yeah Lex. I hear ya except...
Heartical Hi Fi

do you just copy and paste the stock promo? :teef:
Fents

Post by Fents »

huge wrote:
on tour wrote:And Boom festival have finally found how to tweak the complete Funktion One for their epic festival.http://www.funktion-one.com/Boom-2006.htm
:shock:
:shock: :shock: thats out of control.
beatski

Post by beatski »

The Heartical System certainly has alot of bottom end which you don't hear much of in Melbourne these days. But, it doesn't have any punch on the drums. It needs more mid's and hi's!

Melbourne's only kick arse sound system...The Tower of Terror!

And don't tell me it wasn't. Just ask any international dj who played at Tekstep gigs.
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

beatski wrote:The Heartical System certainly has alot of bottom end which you don't hear much of in Melbourne these days. But, it doesn't have any punch on the drums. It needs more mid's and hi's!.
Its got the mids and hi's, don't worry bout that. But I have been running the mids and hi's too soft at the last few gigs. You right.
L-J

Post by L-J »

beatski wrote:The Heartical System certainly has alot of bottom end which you don't hear much of in Melbourne these days. But, it doesn't have any punch on the drums. It needs more mid's and hi's!

And don't tell me it wasn't. Just ask any international dj who played at Tekstep gigs.

Was that the rig some fella called Scotty used to Bring in,Cos that was BAD!!
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

SNAP
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

and bass rules over each and every thing.
beatski

Post by beatski »

leejay83 wrote:
beatski wrote:The Heartical System certainly has alot of bottom end which you don't hear much of in Melbourne these days. But, it doesn't have any punch on the drums. It needs more mid's and hi's!

Was that the rig some fella called Scotty used to Bring in,Cos that was BAD!!
Yes...thats the fella!
It was also eq'ed by a pro. Not just some bloke who plugs speakers into a amp.
And im not dissing the Heartical fella.

That sound system was used at the Sydney Olympics.

Nuff said. :lol:
Last edited by beatski on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

beatski wrote:Not just some bloke who plugs sneakers into a amp.
photos, i want to know how this is done
beatski

Post by beatski »

hahah
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

it was a lie wasnt it... i see through ur lies
flippo

Post by flippo »

beatski wrote: That sound system was used at the Sydney Olympics.

...... so was Nicky Webster.....

:teef:
beatski

Post by beatski »

thats no lie!
The Tower of Terror was used at the opening ceremony at the Sydney Olmpics
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

BUT WHERE WERE THE SNEAKERS!!!!!
HOW WERE THEY PUT IN THE AMP !!!!
DID NIKI WEBSTER HAVE NY THING TO DO WITH THESE SAID SNEAKERS
spiral

Post by spiral »

beatski

Post by beatski »

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

:lol: @ Petey
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT DO SNEAKERS HAVE TO DO WITH GROUND BREAKING DNB
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

flippo wrote:
beatski wrote: That sound system was used at the Sydney Olympics.

...... so was Nicky Webster.....

:teef:
:lol:
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

nic

Post by nic »

lol too fixated on teh snare
lynt

Post by lynt »

This made me convert to being a lover of Psy. More in Melb ftw.

In saying that, Heartical is a mammoth system and should be out and about more often. Serious.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

half way through setting up in london.
ghost at the controls, mammoth sound.
RK

Post by RK »

Groundbreaking sneakers
On the mish.....
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

RK wrote:Groundbreaking sneakers