SUNDAY SIDE UP feat BRAIN @ FIRST FLOOR!!!

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

What another massive night. More hiphop than funk/soul, but who cared?

8)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

This week at First Floor, we welcome to the decks a man-god of inhuman proportions. The Messiah of Motown makes his debut at the only thang worth half a mongrel on Brunswick Street on Sunday nights...yep, Sunday Side Up. Chip Travolta really needs no introduction, but we'll do it anyways. Here's the lowdown:

Chip Travolta, aka Ulyseus Spinbottom III, was weened on soul from the colostrom of his uber-cool madre, Philly Maude, and the regular funk lessons he received from his musician father, Phinias Garbagebucket, who learned his trade from the master of swat, Ike Turner.

Once asked where his love for the groove came from, Chip replied:

"Give me a dolla or I'll shank ya"

A stint in the Special Forces, which saw Chip serve 10 tours of Anchorage, Alaska, left the impressionable youth with a love of guns, booze, she-men and most importantly...vinyl records! Cuz we all know about the growing record scene up there, yeah?

Upon return from the Exon Valdez Oil Spill, Chip decided to ply his trade with his love for vinyl, so he stood over a local Detroit nightclub until they let him play some of the records he'd acquired over the past tours of duty, which also provided a platform for his love of she-men. A perfect circle, really. Or is that a hexagon? We digress!

Anyways, it was in this nightclub that Chip met the man who would shape his DJ career for the next 2 decades. It was at this nightclub that a young Juan Atkins, or as Chip called him, Gerardo, though nobody else was allowed to do this for fear of stark repurcusions due to the Puerto Rican of the same name with that horrible track, Rico Suave, came into the club and witnessed the heavenly mixing and song selection that was to become the staple trademarks of a Chip Travolta set.

So Chip and Juan (Gerardo) became somewhat of a team on the Detroit scene. Good ol Juan would book Chip with luminaries, such as himself, Stacey Pullen, Kevin Suanderson and Derrick May at all the hot spots and in doing so started Detroit Techno. It's only because of infighting that resulted due to the exceptional skills and ecleticism of Chip that his name is not part of that scene. But, like all negativity that has shown itself in his life, Chip's taken it all on the shoulder.

So he's finally making his first trip to Australia to show us all how it's done on the decks. Expect it all as a true gangsta of the scene will make you laugh, cry, spasm, choke, regurgitate, sway and most importantly...chirp!

Yes, a true don of the dance age. Come witness the fitness, boyee!!!

8)
Brain

Post by Brain »

^^^^^^Just a guess but I think you just made that shit up.
Scotrod

Post by Scotrod »

obliveus wrote:But, like all negativity that has shown itself in his life, Chip's taken it all on the shoulder. 8)
Only a dad could pull out a joke like that.... :wink:
You had me going up until the "Ike Turner - Master of swat" remark... :lol: funny bugger.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

:shock:

Do you two mean that you dont believe in the hype that is Chip Travolta? The man is a legend. A dynamo. A true purveyor of all that is gold in this scene. Mean, too. He's tougher than that dude that used to pull guns out at dnb gigs a while back...what was his name? Played with Lex all the time. Tried to force me off the decks once at Rainbow Serpent. Tailspin or sumthin like that. He was one tough hombre, right? Right?

Anways, Chip's the man.

:D
Enrique Sanchez

Post by Enrique Sanchez »

I can attest to the wonder that is Chip Travolta...even though he's a little light on the glorious house music that calls us all to the dance floor. Oh, shivers and ripples...

:)
"...AND ON THE 8TH DAY, GOD MADE HOUSE MUSIC"
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

obliveus wrote:Tonight is gonna be HUGE!!! Happy Easter...

8)
it was for me at least that was hella fun :D
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

I'm sure i've seen Chip play at a foam party many many years ago, from my vague memories, he's was rippin' it up back then, and like most things, it only gets better with age....
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Snowie wrote:I'm sure i've seen Chip play at a foam party many many years ago, from my vague memories, he's was rippin' it up back then, and like most things, it only gets better with age....
Yeah, Chip loves foam parties. Gets him all excited...that and Juan Atkins:

:shock:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

To prove to you all that Chip is real, I've managed to find a promo pic from his last tour...

Dont you all feel silly now?

:roll:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I actually managed to round up an old promo shot of Chip from when he was leading the Detroit Techno movement:

I know it's a bit old, but it should wet your appetite until the master himself makes it to our shores.

8)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

:wink:

:cry:
Brain

Post by Brain »

Brain be bringin the soul funk to First Floor this sunday between 1 - 3 in the mornin. What else you gonna do at 1 - 3 in the mornin on Sunday? Sleep is for pussies. :D
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Brain wrote:Brain be bringin the soul funk to First Floor this sunday between 1 - 3 in the mornin. What else you gonna do at 1 - 3 in the mornin on Sunday? Sleep is for pussies. :D
I like yer attitude, my son. Playin for keeps!!!

8)
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

wicked I'm a big fan of the maggot brain!
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mr lob wrote:wicked I'm a big fan of the maggot brain!
Me three!
Brain

Post by Brain »

Me four!
Brain

Post by Brain »

Well that was super funky!

And Ms Blackbird is way cool.