Ableton question

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
autumnleaves

Ableton question

Post by autumnleaves »

Hi there

Would appreciate some help with this. At the moment ableton is saving ALL files I record into the one directory, how can I tell it to automatically save samples into unique directories for each song I'm working on??
ie
I want it to be C:\ableton\song A\song A samples\
rather than C:\ableton\every sample i ever made

Problem I'm having is that if I delete a file I'm working on, all the recorded files remain. Also, how do you make it so that only referenced recorded files are kept? I've probably got a heap of bad takes that are taking up space
Thanks all :)
spiral

Post by spiral »

save the project before you start recording
this puts your recordings in the project directory rather than a temp directory
then live should save the relevant samples in each project folder as you record more

i have had a look through my prefs and cant see what makes Live save in that structure but it just does.

does live make project folders when you save new track?
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

It just seems to keep saving it in the one project folder, even when I purposefully save it outside of that folder..?
spiral

Post by spiral »

sorry man
no idea
mine does

/project/projects.als
/project/samples/recorded
/project/samples/processed

for each project by default.
i've been through settings and cant find what does that
and i dont collect and save
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

From what i could gain from the help and what i've learnt from 6 years of ableton, basically before you save, it "should" save in the tempory directory, when you save and select that all sample are save in the project directory it "should" save them there. Here's a stupid question/statement, you obvisously know that the project file is basically a directory not just a file, you can drill down from that by double clicking as per normal when using explorer to transverse directories. Can i ask what version are you running ? Live 7.01, 6 ? Personally when i start a project, i make a new directory, and then save the project in there, but hey everybody does things in different ways. For me it just make sure that it is seperate.

i hope that helps otherwise get a new version or check out the ableton forums.
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

autumnleaves

Re: Ableton question

Post by autumnleaves »

Hey guys
Think I worked it out.
FYI I had to actually go ALL the way out of the Live directory (I'm using ableton 6 on mac) and create a new directory for each new project. I don't get macs sometimes, they seem so straightforward but the way they organise files seems all over the place compared to Windows.