2am Lockouts

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

I don't want to keep on the off topic of impress and beat, but they both fucking suck IMHO.

I've contacted both numerous times about writing for them.

It's not like I have no talent nor experience. Hell, I've even had my work published in both magazines before!

But they don't even have the courtesy to send me an email saying "no thanks, we don't need any writers right now"...

So fuck them both.
Last edited by FunkyJ on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

shepherd wrote:you don't need a mag/print media to do this. this could be done online without a price tag.

Very good point.
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
deviant

Post by deviant »

shep: beat have had their gig guide online for years...

http://www.beat.com.au/music.php

not the greatest I klnow, but it's there.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

deviant wrote:
I know I'm no better for arguing with you, but thb it's kind of amusing.

me too, i am on my bosses computer cleaning up emails etc and this is keeping me entertained.
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

shep > beat does this online listing thing now, but its shit.
you have to enter the details every week, its not streamlined and fuck knows who goes there but other promoters...

i dont use it...

deviant and blaxter

go get inpress. read bottom of page 20 of zebra.

id like both of your opinions on that.

plzthxbye.
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

shepherd wrote:i am still shocked the core elements of street press haven't migrated online - those being gig guide and club guide as well as club photo's. These are the 2 things that fuel street press readership and relevancy ... and could be easily placed online, in a way that was more
The whole point of street mags is so you have something to read in the pub, toilet or on public transport.

Yes, you can get online with your phone, PSP, hairdryer and what have you now days, but web navigation still sucks on the majority of devices, and have you ever tried to read your phone when taking a crap??

Paper will ALWAYS be a medium for this kind of stuff.
-= www.funkyj.com =-
deviant

Post by deviant »

I read beat/inpress at a cafe on saturday arvo...

I enjoy it... online would be meh... we've got ITM for that.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

FunkyJ wrote:
Paper will ALWAYS be a medium for this kind of stuff.
ok i'll quote you in 5 years when things change. there is a better medium than street press to get that information to consumers. just cos right now it's not evident doesn't mean it won't be in the short term.
shep: beat have had their gig guide online for years...

http://www.beat.com.au/music.php

not the greatest I klnow, but it's there.
just becuase it's online doesn't mean it's useful. just mirroring your gig guide listings online is pointless. why not add all the things online allows to give it a point of different
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

What happened to the 2am thread???????????????????????????????????????????

get angry at Brumby... & L.L.A., not each other......... be friends!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

FYI > due to a few different factors, I have dropped my bi weekly ad with beat. for now. well see what happens.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

ghetto kitty wrote:FYI > due to a few different factors, I have dropped my bi weekly ad with beat. for now. well see what happens.
Right when i'm playin bass camp :P Couldnt find the ad this week!
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

its in inpress this week mate.

bi weekly inpress, then beat.
now only bi weekly in inpress.

and its a generic ad for the next few weeks so im afraid the guests arent listed.

my bad. 2am's bad. brumby bad.
Spicy

Post by Spicy »

do you reckon it will last? i wonder what the authorities are thinking now, seeing as the violence past 2am continues.

while going home (around 4am) i saw chapel street on saturday night - full of dickheads as usual, and no sign of police. i heard some chick got beat up there on friday night but missed the newspaper reports. anyone have any info on this?
Charly says always tell your mummy before you go off somewhere!
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

it cant last beyond three months, unless the process for making a permanent one happens
deviant

Post by deviant »

To be honest the scene outside Night Owl/The Joint on Saturday night was much more controlled than before the lockouts.

Totally inconvenient for punters who couldn't go out to money from ATM etc etc, but the street outside both venues was nowhere near as rowdy as usual, or even anywhere near as rowdy as beofre 2am on that same night.

NO WAY am I standing up for the lockouts, just an observation.
Spicy

Post by Spicy »

^^ but what about numbers, were there the same amount of punters? i noticed it's a little quieter around town in recent weeks.
deviant

Post by deviant »

night owl was rammed, can't speak for anywhere else.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I played Loop on Saturday from 1-3am. Numbers were definitely good and it seemed more showed up later, too. I didn't know they had an exemption. Played a breaks set, too. Been a while, but it was fun. Haven't watched peeps dance to those records in 2 years...

:lol:

8)
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

- Moved Colonial Hotel + Brown Alley to 'maybe' list after what seems to be a back flip on their part.
I saw this on this facebook 2 am exemptions group thing that lists all the bars that have been exempted and seems to updated regularly
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 758&ref=mf

Anyone know anything about this?
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

some venues are choosing to enforce lockouts because of the conditions that being exempt entails.

i believe this is why the list is changing...
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

shepherd wrote:i am still shocked the core elements of street press haven't migrated online - those being gig guide and club guide as well as club photo's. These are the 2 things that fuel street press readership and relevancy ... and could be easily placed online, in a way that was more

- cost efficient
- environmentally friendly
- labour friendly - lower costs via CMS
- better user experience - integration of maps, aggregated data etc

Plus there is still an advertising model around it. Amazes me that people still utilise the same old dated gig guide/club guide format. The only point of difference it offers is it is available when you are out and about - hopefully mobile web/iphone etc will eliminate this with GPS based services and lower data costs.
I completely agree mate. Australia in general seems reeaaally slow off the mark with new technology compared to the US + UK. I was stunned when I went to both the Beat and Inpress websites recently and found nothing but a mention of the current issue that was out. Maybe they just want to avoid competing with inthemix, but that's a bit of a head-in-the-sand approach IMHO.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

a1studmuffin wrote:Maybe they just want to avoid competing with inthemix, but that's a bit of a head-in-the-sand approach IMHO.
i highly doubt that is the reason why.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

You're probably right... so what's the reason then? Are Australian punters really so uncouth that a decent street press website would be lost on them? Or are Beat/Inpress just slackers? Hmmmmmm.... the mind boggles.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

selling advertising in print media is one thing, selling it online is another thing entirely...
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

its the cost

had a mate who was far up the chain at Beat and earning crap. working long hours etc etc. I said she should push more for a payrise and she said she had, but no use as sooooo many people would happily take crap pay to work there.
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Fair enough ghetto kitty... I take it their biggest expense is employee salaries over printing?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i dont know what you mean really, salaries over printing??

but to get people to advertise, you have to show them how many people its gonig to hit, or possibly hit.

so they can say they have a paper circulation of so many thousands of copies, which hopefully end up in punters hands, but they cant say definitively that 10,000 people are gonna click on thier site in a month...a week...

you get me?

the beat thing is a great idea but really poorly executed...
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

those who sell print advertising for street press should be able to sell online - the premise is the same (audience, intent), only the format is different.

the barrier is neither street press probably want - or understand the need - to invest in the infrastructure required to do it (ie a strong online execution) and the technology (maps, ad serving, analytics) properly ... especially as the cheques keep on rolling in regardless.

i don't think street press get the internet in all honesty. they are one way publications - very old media ... push out a message, no 2 way dialogue, limited functionality.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

shepherd wrote:. especially as the cheques keep on rolling in regardless.

i don't think street press get the internet in all honesty. they are one way publications - very old media ... push out a message, no 2 way dialogue, limited functionality.
yes. if we all decided to drop ads with both papers and told em to get online, you can bet they would do it.

the thing is, i dont think a LOT of media OR buisness owners get the internet.
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote: i dont know what you mean really, salaries over printing??
umm,,, their salary costs are higher than their printing costs ;)
ghetto kitty wrote: but to get people to advertise, you have to show them how many people its gonig to hit, or possibly hit....
of course they can.... ITM does it, any other major website that is driven by advertising do it.

ask ITM for a price list for online ads.... it's very interesting.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

deviant wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote: but to get people to advertise, you have to show them how many people its gonig to hit, or possibly hit....
of course they can.... ITM does it, any other major website that is driven by advertising do it.

ask ITM for a price list for online ads.... it's very interesting.
sure, but ITM has been there a while, and has a proven record.
beat online has not.

the main point is what shep said > they havent seen the value of it yet or they would put the funds into making it work.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

ads online are sold on a CPM basis - cost per thousand impressions.

working back of an average frequency of say, 3 (dependent on spend) you can then get an idea of your potential reach. work in user demographics (easily available) and you can get pretty concrete predictions of your reach and which demo's this works against.

much more accoutanble than broadcast.

inthemix is good but for me the real jewel for promoters/venues is search engine marketing. hardly any of them do it which is weird. minimal cost, accountable, minimal barrier to entry/exit, contextually relevant etc etc
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i can totally see the benefits of SEM in general now that i have looked further into it...

but i do wonder how many people google
'nightclub in melbourne" or 'pumping club' or 'techno melbourne' or 'not tiesto' or 'what to do tonight' etc

besides that, i STILL dont know if i could sell SEM to carlo.

:lol: :roll:

maybe thats why i didnt get the job hehehe
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

search volumes around things like

melbourne nightclubs
dance music
techno
breakbeat
drum&bass etc
certain djs (ie boogs, kid kenobi, agent 86 etc)

would be solid. not massive but would provide a good pool of qualified consumers.

add to this touring djs (ie if you're putting on an event with hybrid (as an example) why not buy the search term for melb eyeballs to give those who are interested a clear entry point to find out more.

never assume people can find you or your event. google makes it easy as its use is close to universal
FunkyJ

Re: 2am Lockouts

Post by FunkyJ »

Back on the topic of 2am lockouts...

There's a reason I chose to move to Melbourne over staying in Adelaide or going up to Brisbane, and that reason has been taken away...

So, do you think someone could bring a legal case against the government if they were promised a vibrant city nightlife, but got the 2am lockout?
-= www.funkyj.com =-
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

I BEAT THE LOCKOUT ON FRIDAY..

the joys of having records.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

i have established I get more drunk being LOCKED IN and not being able to go for a bit of a stroll for air!
I have found myself to be a wasteoide staggering the streets at 8-9am plus when the early morning shoppers and children roam the city freely.... Can they please lock the children in until we have a chance to get home and freshen up? :smt119 :smt107
Also... not being able to access an ATM has left me to resort to cheap alcohol after the lock out... This is not impressive!
(i will whine til the end) :angry2:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

funky > i have heard the same story from LOADS of brisvegas kids too.
moved here for scene, scene is squashed by brumby. dumb.

BTW > i want to kill brumby when i see him on the news now, doesnt matter what hes saying.
HATE CRIME!!!!

]b]now kids > “Beyond the Lockout” Public Meeting - Solutions for night time CBD safety[/b]

Thursday 10 July, 6:00pm

· 4 speakers
· Q&A session
· Solutions that don’t kill Melbourne’s culture

Welsh Church Hall, 320 La Trobe Street, Melbourne

Speakers representing Licensees (Vernon Chalker, spokesperson from the ALLM, on the need for proper consultation with licensees), consumers (MelbourneLockedOut on Melbourne’s night-time culture), Drug and Alcohol organisations (Peter Wearne, Director of YSAS North West, on best harm minimisation practice) and the role of Local Government (Adam Bandt on Council-driven policy) will all offer their thoughts on the effectiveness of the “2am Lockout” and visions of alternative solutions, followed by an extensive question and answer session.

No need to RSVP, but if you want to show support or volunteer, contact Rohan Leppert - [email protected]

Forum organised by the Melbourne City Greens.

ill be there,
Spicy

Re:

Post by Spicy »

deviant wrote:Rusty Lounge will be the only place to go after 2am
it appears the 2am lockouts might be implemented in all areas as well as the councils they are currently in.

this is fucked!

http://www.theage.com.au/national/locko ... -300m.html
Lockout may reach suburbs

Kate Lahey and Cameron Houston
July 2, 2008

THE bid to lock drinkers out of inner-city venues after 2am may be introduced in Melbourne suburbs, with several councils expected to trial the contentious plan to combat alcohol-fuelled violence.

Councils outside the lockout zones of Melbourne, Stonnington, Yarra and Port Phillip are concerned that drunken hoons will target suburban bars after being turned away from inner-city venues.

Frankston Council is moving to extend the licences of all its venues to 5am in exchange for a "voluntary" 2am lockout. Talks between police and venues on a lockout started before the inner-city trial began, the council said.

Frankston Mayor Alistair Wardle said the local trial had strong council support and was due to go to the planning committee for approval this month.

"Basically, the council's agreeing, the pubs are agreeing, the public seems to be in general agreeance," he said.

Frankston Acting Superintendent Neville Taylor said police had been working to get the support of all venues.

Pint and Pickle owner Martin O'Connor said the lockout would bolster pub security and keep out unwanted drunks.

"It's very seldom we will let someone in after 2am," he said.

"With a 2am lockout, it will just give us a little more. Instead of having to deal with it yourself, it's 'that's the law, so we can't let you in'. It'll make life easier for us."

But the ALH Group, which owns Davey's Bar and the Pier Hotel in Frankston, wants the council to wait for the results of the inner-city trial, due to finish on September 2.

"They're jumping on the bandwagon of a structure that's not proven," ALH chief operating officer Ross Blair-Holt said.

Kittens manager Angelo Dimozantos said his Frankston strip club would challenge any lockout in court.

Boroondara planning director Phil Storer said his council would monitor the trial lock-out.
it's time to skip countries and gtfo.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

Q Room in Thomastown needs a 10pm lock out!!!
The article link Witty posted wrote:after Mr Brumby declared alcohol the biggest social issue facing Victoria.
UM>.. NO........ Brumby is the BIggest Social Issue facing this state! *cough*wanker*cough*
FoundationStepper

as i said before, and the article suggests, i think this is nothing to do with brumbles really , looks like the director of liquor licensing - its a public service head, not ALP or LIB or whatever. (of course the anger gets pushed to the politicaitans, thats how things a go.)
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

there is a forum on today about 2am lockout.

cant remember where it is tho
deviant

Post by deviant »

“Beyond the Lockout” Public Meeting
- Solutions for night time CBD safety

Thursday 10 July, 6:00pm

· 4 speakers
· Q&A session
· Solutions that don’t kill Melbourne’s culture

Welsh Church Hall, 320 La Trobe Street, Melbourne

Speakers representing Licensees (Vernon Chalker, spokesperson from the ALLM, on the need for proper consultation with licensees), consumers (MelbourneLockedOut on Melbourne’s night-time culture), Drug and Alcohol organisations (Peter Wearne, Director of YSAS North West, on best harm minimisation practice) and the role of Local Government (Adam Bandt on Council-driven policy) will all offer their thoughts on the effectiveness of the “2am Lockout” and visions of alternative solutions, followed by an extensive question and answer session.

No need to RSVP, but if you want to show support or volunteer, contact Rohan Leppert - [email protected]

Forum organised by the Melbourne City Greens.
Stray

Post by Stray »

FoundationStepper wrote:as i said before, and the article suggests, i think this is nothing to do with brumbles really , looks like the director of liquor licensing - its a public service head, not ALP or LIB or whatever. (of course the anger gets pushed to the politicaitans, thats how things a go.)
You are responsible for the people below you are you not?
FoundationStepper

its not quite like that.

the public service body and the politicians are in dialogue, but there are actions that come from the public service, which end up with the minister/premier rubber stamp, and vice versa - ideas that politicians drive, and public service responds.

it looks to me like this is not a Labor initiative - i.e. the same could have happened under a liberal watch, and its not like the public service gets voted out with an election

of course, its appropriate that the figure heads are taken to task about things, i just think that the attack on brumbles insnt strictly relevant in this case (not that im commenting on what i think of him either way)
deviant

Post by deviant »

^^^ Yeah, but let's face it, he's a dick either way...... I mean, some of the comments he has made have been :tard:
tactik

Post by tactik »

Should the solution not be to actually hold Bar staff to standards of not serving obscene amounts of alcohol to drunken fucks?

Should there be a BAC limit actually IN bars.... rather than relying on bar-staffs integrity to not actually serve ethanol to said fucks?

I can see the breathaliser at the bar going down really well?

Breathaliser with security after 2am?

That way people who aren't drunken fucks (or are driving their drunken/toasted mates around) can come and go with ease.

??

note* by fucks I mean people who drink too much and become violent, abusive arsehats.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

the answer to all your questions is, simply, no.

there needs to be a REAL deterrant for drunken fucks.
like a $1000 fine and a night in jail for fighting/brawling.

despite what the media says, venues are not just out to make $$ off drunken fucks, they actually care about the safety of the other not fucked patrons too.
deviant

Post by deviant »

Breath test is crap, coz I wanna get smashed sometimes :)

I don't cause fights, I should be allowed to drink. A bar would never get in trouble for my drinking coz I would never give anyone reason to single me out as being too smashed.