I just wanted to see if I could change the name of this topi

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
NakedAge

I just wanted to see if I could change the name of this topi

Post by NakedAge »

Hi guys.

I'm playing a gig tonite in Thornbury @ Okto bar. 911 High St, Thornbury.

The gig has no name, so I don't know what music I'll be playing but if any of you have ever heard me play in person, I'm the type of guy who tries to please everyone. I don't live far so if you come and want a song, I could probably even dash home and get if its one of the ones I don't bring.

If your up for a good night tonite, just for the fun of it and shit, Okto bar, 911 High St, Thornbury. Entries free, dress nice and make sure you wear dancing shoes because if it turns out I play to a decent sized crowd I'll be taking no prisoners.

See you there :)
Last edited by NakedAge on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robot Rod

Re: Party Tonite In Thornbury. All Welcome

Post by Robot Rod »

Sounds ok, but what does " dress nice " mean ??
NakedAge

Post by NakedAge »

pretty much just no trackies/ thongs etc. Its a bar/club, so dress as if you were going to a bar/club :P

Like I said, the gig doesn't even have a name so I'm not 100% on the venues procedures so I figure if you dress nice then there shouldnt be door dramas.

T shirt and jeans is fine.
cuznmatt

Post by cuznmatt »

seriously it's thornbury. no one gives a fuck what you'd be wearing at a bar in thornbury. i think they'd just be happy to get some punters.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

word matty :lol:
deviant

Post by deviant »

so, how was it>>>?? I wanna full report, gutted I couldn't make it :(
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I always get Thornbury and Sunbury mixed up. I was thinking this gig was in a paddock.

:roll:

:D
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

It was in a paddock. I heard it totally fuckin ruled though the cow shit was cold so ya bare feet were more exposed to the elements than normal.
quick

Post by quick »

deviant wrote:so, how was it>>>?? I wanna full report, gutted I couldn't make it :(
:angel13:
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
NakedAge

Post by NakedAge »

Oh look.. The ITM anti-Age society has to pipe the fuck up again.

Matt, not all of Thornbury is a scum hole. It's not a place where you can walk in with thongs and a singlet. People actually get dressed nicely, not over the top, but nice and come out to this club from all corners of Melbourne. Hey I guess it could be one of Melbourne's little secrets that would just piss you right off if you weren't cool enough to know about it right? But I bet your digging around furiously now for facts and figures, and info about prior reputations and all that jazz to try and post about it here so you can try and solidify my reputation as a big shit talker? Or maybe you'll follow me to face book and give me the shits there again?

Deviant: No matter what I say the ITM Anti-Age society will say "Oh I bet you this is how it really went down."

But, seeming as I'm going to be fending off their bullshit no matter what, the truth is we didn't get the numbers we'd hoped for, of course tho we knew we wouldn't and so we were just happy to enjoy the night for what it was.

The bar wasn't empty, nor was it packed. There was enough people to get small dance floor going and still have some people chilling out and some playing pool and others the dart game etc. It was really cruisy like that.
The music was a mixture I suppose of Progressive/Tribal and general club music. There was some 1990's dance classics thrown in for good measure. Just because, we could get away with it. No one was going to have a cry if we played cheese or not.

I guess being that I played, I 'SHOULD' sit here and try to hype it up as much as I can to convince you to come next time but I won't because that only means if you ever DO come, if it's a bad occasion it will just sour your first impression of the event and as we know, first impressions last (Sorry I used the wrong word.). Instead, I'm going to be perfectly honest and say that it wasn't a fantastic event. It wasn't the best night of my life, but in no way was it a BAD event. In no way did I not have fun, in no way did I not have a good time. The people were great, the music was great, everything was just nicely tuned to itself as far as atmosphere goes. The people there were enjoying themselves. That much I know for certain.
When you have a room thats not too packed but those people are still dancing and having fun you know your doing something right. You know they're not bored.

Come next time and I'll do my best to make you enjoy it as much as I did. Thats all I can say man. Different strokes for different folks.
Gliding High
Location: Little Evil's evil cave, 666 Nasty St, Horribleville

Post by Gliding High »

Nakedage - purely as an outsider, who hasn't posted on ITM for a long, long time - you set yourself up for a fall here my man.
Just a few tips - saying your gig has no name, and that it won't be that great, is the equivalent of a mattress salesman saying to a customer, 'This mattress is really comfy, but we can only get you the one with shit stains down the middle.'

As a suggestion, maybe a bit less on the self depreciation (you seem like a reasonably intelligent dude, if somewhat disgruntled), and more on the over the top tip - 'come to this gig, and we'll do our best to make your ball hair stand on end with rad tunes, wet bitches, and bass driven mayhem galore.'
(See any Ken Bruce adds to really see what I'm talking about)
Hope that helps :)
NakedAge

Post by NakedAge »

It wasn't my gig. My gigs have names, I merely played at it.

See, if I promise something spectacular and don't deliver then everyone leaves saying "lets never go to these parties again"

I just like to be honest about what I'm trying to sell is all. Everyone now days is doing the over hype and I think the general clubbing community are smart enough to see right through it. I'll admit I'm hopeless at selling myself, but, I'm a Dj not a promoter. As cliche as it sounds, my music speaks louder than my words do and it shows at gigs when theres not many people but they're still having a great time. Thats what I offer. I can't bring 40 people on a guest list, but if you do bring 40 people I'll be pretty sure 30 something of them will want to come back.

You gotta understand, what ever I do, WILL get knocked down. There will always be some scum bag who will come to a forum and say "Gee that gig would be great if only it got people" or, "Hey I heard that venue has a shit Dj's", or shit like that. Why? Why do people need to come and state the negative, especially if they haven't been? Because it's competition and every other gig is a threat. I don't care what anyone says or how anyone else looks into it, in every Dj/Promoters subcontious I think that is the deepest darkest truth of the situation.

If someone can come and say "this gig is shit" and STILL get people to come to it and STILL have them leaving saying "what the fucks this dick on about, that was a great gig", then thats a hefty competitor you have on your hands. I'd rather be that competitor than be up against them. In order to be that competitor, all I can do is my best at what I have to offer. All I have to offer is other peoples music (and sometimes my own) played in the most creative/exciting way I know how to play it.

I do completely understand what your saying, but in a situation where your going to get grief no matter how you attempt to sell it, I think it's best to sell what you have and make it a good product so that those who WERE there keep coming back and bring friends etc and make it into something amazing in time that lasts and actually IS good, rather than sell it as something that's not as good as it seems, have people come and leave saying "it's not as good as we thought" and leave and not return.

The people who were there, will be back. They will have friends, the one we did on the weekend was better than the first time we attempted it, the next time will be better still. I've done my part. I sold the music to them. They danced, they smiled whilst they danced, they danced like nobody was watching. They're apart of something now that can only grow. They don't need a flyer or a name to sell it to them now.
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

Dude, I'll be straight up honest with you - I have absolutely no idea what your talking about.
But good luck in whatever you do.
NakedAge

Post by NakedAge »

hehe thanks champ :D
nic

Post by nic »

good on you mate sounds like a great event.
I hope to one day make it down to one of your events.
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

Gliding High wrote:Nakedage - purely as an outsider, who hasn't posted on ITM for a long, long time - you set yourself up for a fall here my man.
Just a few tips - saying your gig has no name, and that it won't be that great, is the equivalent of a mattress salesman saying to a customer, 'This mattress is really comfy, but we can only get you the one with shit stains down the middle.'

As a suggestion, maybe a bit less on the self depreciation (you seem like a reasonably intelligent dude, if somewhat disgruntled), and more on the over the top tip - 'come to this gig, and we'll do our best to make your ball hair stand on end with rad tunes, wet bitches, and bass driven mayhem galore.'
(See any Ken Bruce adds to really see what I'm talking about)
Hope that helps :)
pisser. your simile totally rocks while looking like a shit stain.

Naked age a few words of advice - there is no humility in undermining your own work. Have a little pride and people will respect you far more.
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

Also, I know you can tell if you look at the thread date and shit, but if you are advertising a party/gig whatever put the *DATE* in the subject line. Makes it heaps easier than 'tonite'.

Perhaps also put a donk on it?
"Anybody want some motherfucking Earl Grey?" -Cleveland
spin

Post by spin »

HOPE IT WAS COOL, tough crowd... ofoxo

i also like it in that cockney thug tune by rusko when it says FUCK!
ANYTHING:TEST
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
http://gutterhype.blogspot.com/
NakedAge

Post by NakedAge »

lol @ donk. I DID PUT A DONK ON IT!!! :D

Deejaypcp. I have ALOT of pride. Like I was saying, I'm PROUD that I can be honest about the gigs and say exactly what they are and still have people show up and have a grouse time. :D Its good to be me :D
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

you said grouse.

instant fail till infinity.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yes, thankyou deviant for that visual reference for just how dope and cool and hot and amazing this tiny, shitty little bird is. :lol:

now, can we eat it?
deviant

Post by deviant »

can't test the pride though.... LOOK AT HIS CHEST!
NakedAge

Post by NakedAge »

grouse?
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

i loves the word 'grouse', especially when said like ya from darrrwin!
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

Ok mate, how about some real advice then from someone who may or may not have been professionally involved in the music industry since 1994?
The Dicko treatment:
This is what people have been sidestepping around in a lame attempt to seem clever while dissing you.
Get a new name, Naked Age sucks. Really. What does it mean?
Don't talk your shit down, people will think you suck. In fact you probably do suck.
I went to a gig in Carlton you put on a couple of years ago and it sucked. The sound system was a basic home stereo.
Small and local generally means shit.
Hype yourself to the fuck, without lying. Everyone else does it. It's called the music industry.
People are usually too drunk or high to notice whether said thing was as good as they thought it would be.
Don't get the shits with people who offer you advice and rebut them, it may be the only advice they ever give you.
Don't use old Victorian slang words like grouse or kiwi ones like choice. People are all over that shit.
Don't get on a forum which is obviously for lovers of broken beats and start going on about prog and tribal house. Lots of people here don't listen to that crap.
Sorry bro, you seem to care and want advice etc yet just disagree with everything.
BTW I actually made you a dnb demo last year. First time I'd ever had to use a demo for a gig. You said I was on and that the gig was for charity. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.
What happened? Where was my call? I spent way too much time on that demo for the rough result and no gig I got. Never mind about the gig though mate. I just want my time back.
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

Waits for extremely over-detailed, scattered response, that must take up a minimum of half an encyclopedia, and which only 0.3% of MB readers get to the end of.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Gliding High wrote:Waits for extremely over-detailed, scattered response, that must take up a minimum of half an encyclopedia, and which only 0.3% of MB readers get to the end of.
:lol:

i like you gliding high.

and pete >>
deejaypcp wrote: It's called the music industry.
I just dont think the grouse gets it, do you?
Shifty-Sly

Post by Shifty-Sly »

Yep Im gonna make a cuppa tea and have a teddy bear biscut or two while I enjoy Age's response.....
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

do you bite their heads off first shifty?
Shifty-Sly

Post by Shifty-Sly »

then legs.....
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

who's pete? :p

But no, "grouse" don't feature much in press releases anymore.

For example "The new Gn'r album, Chinese Democracy is "grouse", according to a bunch of low-life scum from Melbourne's far south-east fringe. "But, we don't like Chinese people. They aren't grouse at all." they chanted in unison.

See what I did there? aww. Bad Pete
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

bring back gnarly i say. goes with terrorism.
Shifty-Sly

Post by Shifty-Sly »

He lost them in a gnarly car bombing
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

I prefer 'Kuta' myself :)
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

pisser. are the crumbs his blood?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

'kuta' as a noun?

im confused.

shifty > looks like you rearranged his face a bit too, ala 'giving him a spiro'

?
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

No, there used to a bunch of surfer/bogan types in the 90's that used 'Kuta' like they would 'Grouse.'

I use grouse all the time - it's the one thing I strongly agree with Nakedage about.

When I hear the words 'nakedage' together, I think of nude pensioners - am I alone here?

Sorry Nakedage.
Last edited by Gliding High on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shifty-Sly

Post by Shifty-Sly »

now that could be something to pitch to Arnotts

A Spiro Bear biscut...... off its face expression, iceing spittle all around its mouth with deformed little limbs :tard:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Shifty-Sly wrote:now that could be something to pitch to Arnotts

A Spiro Bear biscut...... off its face expression, iceing spittle all around its mouth with deformed little limbs :tard:
bwahahahah i like it! coated in a nice dusting of ketamine?

i get it re kuta now. but i dont like you anymore if you say grouse :)

and yes, either naked pensioners OR small children come to mind, or the journalists of melbourne sitting at their screens naked trawling MB and ITM for things to plagarise.
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

either way it's a shit name.
i think of poo every time i read it. Don't know why.
Maybe it's all the middle aged swinger porn
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

deejaypcp wrote:Maybe it's all the middle aged swinger porn
Don't just watch it - take part! You won't regret it my man!
:smt003
NakedAge

Post by NakedAge »

deejaypcp wrote:Ok mate, how about some real advice then from someone who may or may not have been professionally involved in the music industry since 1994?
The Dicko treatment:
This is what people have been sidestepping around in a lame attempt to seem clever while dissing you.
Get a new name, Naked Age sucks. Really. What does it mean?
Don't talk your shit down, people will think you suck. In fact you probably do suck.
I went to a gig in Carlton you put on a couple of years ago and it sucked. The sound system was a basic home stereo.
Small and local generally means shit.
Hype yourself to the fuck, without lying. Everyone else does it. It's called the music industry.
People are usually too drunk or high to notice whether said thing was as good as they thought it would be.
Don't get the shits with people who offer you advice and rebut them, it may be the only advice they ever give you.
Don't use old Victorian slang words like grouse or kiwi ones like choice. People are all over that shit.
Don't get on a forum which is obviously for lovers of broken beats and start going on about prog and tribal house. Lots of people here don't listen to that crap.
Sorry bro, you seem to care and want advice etc yet just disagree with everything.
BTW I actually made you a dnb demo last year. First time I'd ever had to use a demo for a gig. You said I was on and that the gig was for charity. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.
What happened? Where was my call? I spent way too much time on that demo for the rough result and no gig I got. Never mind about the gig though mate. I just want my time back.

Well, as someone who may or may have not been in the music industry for a little less time than 1994.
The Dicko Treatment:
Naked Age means nothing. It doesn't need to mean anything because Age is an abbreviation of my actual name, and the first time I was required to submit a name my actual birth name was taken and I was naked during the submission of that name. Thus, NakedAge.
I don't need to hype myself to the fuck because you guys do it for me. Todays Wednesday, the gig was over on Saturday and this forum is STILL going on about it. .. Everything I touch beccomes a talking point. So people are talking. Some are saying good, some are saying bad. I'll admit I'm doing this the hard way, and go against alot of advice given, but I feel I'm doing it the right way because I fear if I don't, I'll just end up another forgotten Dj/Promoter.

The forums called "Melbourne beats.com" and says "// Electronic Beats" so where does it say breaks? Ok fine the majority of you might like breaks, and even tho I don't know alot about it I enjoy it to, but whats the harm in trying to get outside communities to listen to something else? They can like it, they can hate it, but they'll be open to something new and different and theres no shame in saying "Look it's just not for me". Someones likes and dislikes shouldn't keep them seperated as people.

The gig at Carlton, I wont lie, they were shit. We simply weren't allowed to fully utalise the venue, we were in a cunt of an area and we had alot of things against us. But I've also been responsible for some very good gigs. Whether you can accept it or not. I don't even like throwing gigs, just playing them. I'm not a bad Dj. I know the value of my talent, and, I also know the value of my character. I simply refuse to kiss someones ass to get gigs. I should be hired based on talent, not connections or how many people I can bring through a door. For too long I was denied gigs for those 2 reasons, and, I saw alot of BAD Dj's GET gigs because of those reasons. Whats the result? We have alot of shit Dj's thinking they're super stars who, again are just another lost name on the ever growing list of forgotten Dj's. So, I throw my own gigs. Who ever wants to come, can come. Who ever doesn't, doesn't.
I screen ALL the Dj's who play because I don't want their friends saying "ok we'll come to support you" then after 3 gigs they leave because the musics so bad they want to go somewhere else. I'll admit, my turn outs aren't big, but they grow. They grow because the music is good because every Dj I book to play and myself understand the value of talent both in Dj skills and in life skills. The Dj's don't get paid, but they smile alot because they know they're part of that by no means will make them big famous international Dj's, but atleast gives them a chance to play their shit out to someone who might be able to take them down that path.

As for your demo, if it was the first time you ever had to make one then whats that tell me about your method of getting gigs? Should I unzip now?
Maybe your demo didn't stand out enough to me? I get alot of demos. ALOT. And for someone whose doing such a shit job of running events and throwing parties and being a shit Dj, the amount of people who want to play at them makes me wonder about how commited they are. We DID throw a charity gig last year, or the year before sorry, with 10 Dj's.
It was our first Housing Commission event. Now, as you said "why come to a forum and announce prog/trance/house what ever events?" well, why submit a breaks demo for a house gig?

Did it suck to have to submit a demo and then not get the gig? Does it shit you that even right now as I type this, I have no idea who you are or what demo you sent me? As someone who may or may have not been professionally involved in the music industry since 1994, I'd of expected a demo so good I'd remember it still now, and even if I couldn't, I'd of expected you to be so good by now, (Especially since you never had to submit a demo before, assuming people have always hired you via word of mouth for being so good.) then I'd of expected a character to stand out to me that I remember.

All the advice people give me, yes I appreciate it, yes I take it on board, but I also take on board who I'm getting it from.
People give advice to get you to where THEY are. To help you attain the same success as THEM. But what if I want a different kind of success? Whose advice do I take then? The advice from those who have achieved it. .. They don't send me demos.

GlidingHigh: hehehe Wrinkly dicks :D I was watching jack ass 2 last night with the 90 year old naked chick walking around with the boobs like the lady in Something About Mary.

Personally, I like the name.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

It seems to me that PCP is getting regular gigs and making a living out of playing other peoples shit music (maybe badly - depending on your point of view) with out needing to submit demos'
What does that say about word of mouth/ being spotted by talent spotters/ reputation/ dedication and what I reckon is probably a fantastic ethic of playing good music at the right time versus sucking up to promoters/ DJ's that throw parties that require demos but don't have the decency to respond to some one that submits their recorded credentials as a DJ except to diss them online years later.... I was kind of enjoying your approach and kept quiet until you put your foot where your genitals belong.
fooishbar

Re: the thread about nakedage and his parties

Post by fooishbar »

moved.

fwiw, while there's hardly a strict music policy, it is a broken beat forum. i'm pretty sure i said this at the start; pretty much all the people here are into dnb, breaks, dubstep, hip-hop, etc, so i don't know how sky-high the interest for prog house is going to be.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
deviant

Post by deviant »

look, it's just not for me
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

fyi > the rant above is pretty much the start of why he got banned on itm.

quit while your ahead mate!

grouse!
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Wouldn't be great if the community of mb.com was able to educate some one tather than having to resrot to banning them?
L-J

Post by L-J »

The internet is not meant to be so simple.
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat