Serato, CDJS, Vinyl, Ableton: DON'T MISS OUT ON YOUR 2C!

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
nic

Re: Does anyone still play vinyl anymore in Melbourne?

Post by nic »

does anyone think wavs sound better than vinyl in a club situation?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

haha i'm gonna slap you on sat nic
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

huhuhuh
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Cubist wrote:Poor Cubist is at home goin crazy with the Flu...But the fact is that CD's will sound better in most Clubs because some clubs use shit needles, shit 1200's and shit mixers. Therefore, a signal from a CD will be pure and clean and simple. But, Vinyl sounds better than CD.
What kind of DJ uses club needles?

Also what kind of club has a CD signal that doesn't go through the (shit) mixer?

So pretty much shit 1200s vs. shit CDJs issue yeah?

I suppose the CDJs are prob newer.
Don't hate me for house
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

nic wrote:does anyone think wavs sound better than vinyl in a club situation?
It depends on the level of seriousness.

Vinyl always sounds better for serious music genres ie: Minimal techno, dubstep, drum and bass.

I find CDs sound better the more "rave" is involved.
Don't hate me for house
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

As long as there's no major quality issues, apart from the 5% (maybe) of punters who are audiophiles or producers/djs, who can even tell the difference between 320/wav/vinyl? And even among those, I bet 50% just think they can (when straight). I can't claim to be able to. And its been said many times before - the music we love is all produced digitally anyway unless you use tape.

And at a party its about the punters on the dfloor isn't it? Who are mostly there for dancing/fun (and usually a tad out of it on something, at least booz) and not chinstroking over the subtletys of dynamic-range/frequencies... (Having said all that I have been thinking about getting an aural exciter but what a pain to carry/set up)

MelbourneBEATS!
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

jbs wrote:
nic wrote:does anyone think wavs sound better than vinyl in a club situation?
It depends on the level of seriousness.

Vinyl always sounds better for serious music genres ie: Minimal techno, dubstep, drum and bass.

I find CDs sound better the more "rave" is involved.
:smt005 :smt005
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

youthful_implants wrote:Not in dance music, where vinyl sales are lower than ever across the board and vinyl labels of 20 years+ are giving up the medium or drastically reducing the numbers pressed.
Pfft, dance music. Like that matters ;)
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I've said it before, shall say it again...

If you're at the back of the club trainspotting wether the track that's currently rocking the room is being played on vinyl, CD or high-quality MP3 - you sir, are a wanker.

I'm all about good quality audio. But seriously, if the DJ is rocking the set, and the music is good - you should be head down, feeling the vibe IMO. The difference between a properly produced and mastered bit of vinyl, CD or high-quality MP3 in a club environment is sweet fuck all.
dust

Post by dust »

I was at a gig where all the DJs were playing CDs apart from one, who played vinyl and the sound of the DJ playing vinyl was SO much nicer. Much warmer and rich and full.

Now i'm not saying all the other sets were ruined for me because of that, or that I would never play CDs because I do, just making a point.

I don't think i'm a wanker (at least i hope not) but for me and the people i was with, the difference was really audible.

That is all.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

Direkt wrote:If you're at the back of the club trainspotting wether the track that's currently rocking the room is being played on vinyl, CD or high-quality MP3 - you sir, are a wanker.
the voice of reason has spoken. :teef:
Last edited by youthful_implants on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

If it's a decent system and not tuned purely for vinyl (with less bottom end and more highs) - CD's to vinyl shouldn't make a hell of a lot of difference.

Sure, vinyl/analogue has more of a warm sound to it. More of a rounded bottom end.

CD's/digital don't have that. But, they do have an enhanced and detailed top end. Good for techy sounds.
deviant

Post by deviant »

dust wrote:I was at a gig where all the DJs were playing CDs apart from one, who played vinyl and the sound of the DJ playing vinyl was SO much nicer. Much warmer and rich and full.

Now i'm not saying all the other sets were ruined for me because of that, or that I would never play CDs because I do, just making a point.

I don't think i'm a wanker (at least i hope not) but for me and the people i was with, the difference was really audible.

That is all.
see, I've experienced the opposite before too.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

How serious was the music when you experienced this Dan?
Don't hate me for house
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

youthful_implants wrote:
Direkt wrote:If you're at the back of the club trainspotting wether the track that's currently rocking the room is being played on vinyl, CD or high-quality MP3 - you sir, are a wanker.
Damn... from love eyes to teef..... :(
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

jbs wrote:
Cubist wrote:Poor Cubist is at home goin crazy with the Flu...But the fact is that CD's will sound better in most Clubs because some clubs use shit needles, shit 1200's and shit mixers. Therefore, a signal from a CD will be pure and clean and simple. But, Vinyl sounds better than CD.
What kind of DJ uses club needles?

Also what kind of club has a CD signal that doesn't go through the (shit) mixer?

So pretty much shit 1200s vs. shit CDJs issue yeah?

I suppose the CDJs are prob newer.
I'm saying certain pre-amp's sound better than others. So when you play CD you by-pass the pre amp. I been playing vinyl in some clubs. They sound horrible. Then play CD and BOOM!. Prob also cause system is tuned to CD's. Also, those connectors in the tone arm may have been farked.

Each to their own I guess. Whatever works for ya. Personally, I prefer vinyl. And with DnB there's a lot of funky stuff that doesn't get released digitally. And if I was using Serato...I'd hate to record my music thru a DJ mixer pre-amp then soundcard onto my computer to play out.

Guess if ur playing out on Nexo Soundsystems you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyways...;-)
deviant

Post by deviant »

jbs wrote:How serious was the music when you experienced this Dan?
deadly
youthful_implants

Direkt wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:
Damn... from love eyes to teef..... :(
LOL didn't wanna lead you on. :smt007
Strontium Music

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

serato is more environmentally sustainable
Check out my soundcloud page at:
http://soundcloud.com/nativedog
Mixes and productions by Native Dog
Gliding High
Location: Little Evil's evil cave, 666 Nasty St, Horribleville

Post by Gliding High »

I'm a vinyl only DJ, always have been - hate the feel of CD's.
Just been swung on Traktor though, had a couple of plays on it now - and it is as close as I've been able to get for emulating slapping down a piece of vinyl on the platter and manipulating it like I would a piece of wax.
I will be purchasing it in the next couple of weeks.
(Not to start another argument, but I like it better than Serato too)

Lets face it, certain companies (one in particular) in Aus have dictated the price and availability of vinyl for a long time now - and I say fuck them. Cut them out of the equation and buy your tracks directly from the label, or from a a site that is charging less than a quarter of the price of vinyl.
I personally can't afford (being a uni student) to spend the amount of money I used to - both keeping up to date, and having a fresh box of tunes most weeks.
$12 to $16 plus delivery for vinyl compared to $3 something for a wav file is a no brainer.

Only problem really is setup - I think someone should come up with a universal box that accomodates both Traktor and Serato, and it should be a standard addition in a club. That's the dream.

Digital DJ'ings pros outweigh the cons. Most of the worry of performing this way is attributed to pc failure and setup, but if you make a good investment equipment-wise at the start you should cut the risk of that down considerably. There's also less lugging around of heavy plastic discs, and hopefully a far lesser risk of faulty or scratched medium - all while the the mostly 'non-clued in on tech issues' public still get to dance uninterupted to the same thing/sound at the end of the day. They couldn't give a fuck if your playing on CD's, serato, torque - whatever. It's all the same to them.
(Though, the guys in the crowd who've been around a while will still know if your shit or not after your first mix, and only practice can help a 'DJ' with that - whatever medium you may choose to play on. Would be good to see a bit more of that too - practice that is. Just so those cunts from Jet don't write another song about how shit they think we all are) :)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

youthful_implants wrote:LOL didn't wanna lead you on. :smt007
Safe as houses.
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

I might be wrong. Cause I don't know heaps about pressing vinyl. But in the analog world the mastering is done for vinyl when the tune is cut. And when they push for more volume analog distortion is created. In the digital world a lot of producers push for more volume and in the process a small amount of digital distortion is added. I know a lot of tunes I buy online have digital distortion. And I know some labels don't master their tunes for digital sale. They usually use the mix straight outta the producers computer. So I reacon the majority of tunes people play off mp3 or wave have a small amount of digital distortion. Whereas a tune pressed to vinyl is usually mastered and the mix used should have headroom therefore no digital distortion.

Anyone read that thing recently where Marky and Andy C were playing b2b and peeps commented on the difference in sound quality/volume. Saying cause Andy C was playing vinyl his tunes sounded way better...
spin

Post by spin »

i love records!

new serato is 24bit, you can only tell when playing wavs but it does even things up a little.

neuro sounds good on cd, jungle sounds good on vinyl(everything sounds better on vinyl, sshh)

it would be good to hear that andy & marky session, any chance of a recording?
ANYTHING:TEST
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
http://gutterhype.blogspot.com/
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

spin wrote:jungle sounds good on vinyl(everything sounds better on vinyl, sshh)
contemporary jungle (i.e. mashup) tends to be really badly pressed. the mp3s of the same tune odd on will sound far better. its a bit of a diy scene these days though
DEGENERATI0N

Post by DEGENERATI0N »

If I could get the tunes I want to play on record and when I want them that would be great (besides carrying the shit around) but I would say 80% of what I am now playing either is from some obscure corner of the electronic underground and doesn't come out on vinyl or wont be out for ages because nobody can be arsed pressing dubz anymore.

But I do occasionally get a teary eye about how I used to lug 2 crates of dusty beer and cigarette stained atmosphere around with me everywhere I went.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Cubist wrote:I might be wrong. Cause I don't know heaps about pressing vinyl. But in the analog world the mastering is done for vinyl when the tune is cut. And when they push for more volume analog distortion is created. In the digital world a lot of producers push for more volume and in the process a small amount of digital distortion is added. I know a lot of tunes I buy online have digital distortion. And I know some labels don't master their tunes for digital sale. They usually use the mix straight outta the producers computer. So I reacon the majority of tunes people play off mp3 or wave have a small amount of digital distortion. Whereas a tune pressed to vinyl is usually mastered and the mix used should have headroom therefore no digital distortion.

Anyone read that thing recently where Marky and Andy C were playing b2b and peeps commented on the difference in sound quality/volume. Saying cause Andy C was playing vinyl his tunes sounded way better...
Now I acknowledge that you would most likely know more than me on this issue.... but, digital distortion would be produced from clipping yeah? And clipping in the digital realm is a massive no-no... isn't compression and limiting used for the added volume?

Bear in mind that a lot of pro digital and analogue recordings have probably been written in the digital realm, and then mastered in the analogue realm.

Realm.
youthful_implants

Direkt wrote:
Cubist wrote:I might be wrong. Cause I don't know heaps about pressing vinyl. But in the analog world the mastering is done for vinyl when the tune is cut. And when they push for more volume analog distortion is created. In the digital world a lot of producers push for more volume and in the process a small amount of digital distortion is added. I know a lot of tunes I buy online have digital distortion. And I know some labels don't master their tunes for digital sale. They usually use the mix straight outta the producers computer. So I reacon the majority of tunes people play off mp3 or wave have a small amount of digital distortion. Whereas a tune pressed to vinyl is usually mastered and the mix used should have headroom therefore no digital distortion.

Now I acknowledge that you would most likely know more than me on this issue.... but, digital distortion would be produced from clipping yeah? And clipping in the digital realm is a massive no-no... isn't compression and limiting used for the added volume?

Bear in mind that a lot of pro digital and analogue recordings have probably been written in the digital realm, and then mastered in the analogue realm.

Realm.
the only difference is that mastering to vinyl removes frequencies and sibilance (usually top end 6 - 12khz) because the stylus cannot track grooves containing these frequencies properly that will still most likely be present in digital masters. This is why people think that vinyl sounds warmer.

The argument, or fact, that some digital labels are shoddily mastered/not at all is a completely different issue. I have bought vinyl before that was badly mastered, the same goes for digital.
Strontium Music

Hear Now

Post by Hear Now »

when u buy a piece of vinyl your actually purchasing something physical, when u buy an mp3 or wav you're buying 1's & 0's no where near as exciting and it only exists on your computer until u burn it onto that really pretty looking cd-r.

i'd much prefer a lounge room full of vinyl than a terabyte hard drive,

but then again i like clutter
Hear Now
2 Somerset Place Melbourne
03 9642 5744
www.hearnow.net.au
SDF1

Post by SDF1 »

I believe it all boils down to the genre of music you play, how transient your tastes are and what you're driven by.
I play almost exclusively vinyl still for a number of reasons.

1. The cherry picking tracks argument doesn't always hold true, many times i've revisited eps/lps that i've thought had a bollocks b-side to be blown away as tastes change.
2. Aesthetics, i too like clutter.
3. Half my mates are selling off their collections in the move to digital, meaning I can get the best rarities from them for cheap, shit that won't be re-released digitally. :)
4. I buy mostly disco & chicago acid jack records these days, augmented by digital purchases of the occasional techno, electro, IDM/Fukdupp distraction, most of the time the folks who wrote the disco/chicago acid tracks are too dead or in too much of a post-coke haze to bother re-releasing for digital markets.
5. Having every tune always at your disposal doesn't alway make for an interesting or engaging set (quite the opposite it'd often appear). The drama that unfolds having programmed yourself into a corner and the only way out is to go non-linear isn't as likely if you have vast swathes of easiily mixable stuff at your disposal.

I may be swayed if I heard anyone using traktor or serato in a ground breakingly creative fashion, but lop-sided haircut minimal wankers don't count, cos while they're looping shit, the source material was boring to begin with. That said i've been blown away by a few next level folk using cdjs alone, and a couple guys using minidisc recorders to edit spacey records bought solely from op-shops and flea markets.

New technology doesn't always mean better. More convenient perhaps.
No synthesizer too arpeggiated, no disco too italo.
http://www.messycreations.com
http://soundcloud.com/sdf1
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

If you play a WAV file too many times they corrupt and start sounding shit, so records are better anyway.
Don't hate me for house
youthful_implants

playing vinyl will also get you laid by like-minded middle-aged bald men still living with their parents FTW!
Strontium Music

same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

jbs wrote:If you play a WAV file too many times they corrupt and start sounding shit, so records are better anyway.
:lol:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

This thread so reminds me of all the conversations we (as in I and all the 40+ male virgins who frequented the venue) used to have in the comic book shop I worked at when I was 14 years old...

"Well if Wolverine was thrown into a vat of acid and all of his skin burned off to his adamantium skeleton, but his nervous system was unaffected due to his healing powers, and Rogue made out with him just prior to the acid plunge and managed to give him his powers back by having intercourse, blah, blah, blah..."

We are all the biggest music nerds of the highest order. I used to think DJ's were cool. God have mercy on our offspring...assuming some of you walk away from discussions like this to mate one of these days.

;)

:teef:

I'm just joking...I love you all.

:D
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

it WAS cool... until some people swapped their crates for laptops :smt018
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

^^ It still IS cool. It's just the people who swapped are no longer cool (never really were, maybe?) and now want to down-play the whole issue. :P
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
DD tuxy

Post by DD tuxy »

I still fucking love vinyl. I love the fact that you can physically hold and see the music and i enjoy to mix it way more than cdj's. But its too expensive. If it wasn't i would buy every record on vinyl instead of every 10th record on vinyl...
Jesse I

Post by Jesse I »

as a reggae DJ, I love 7" vinyl - for me it's the definitive format for Jamaican music. I own somewhere around 15,000 singles, and for most of the last decade I've imported and sold Jamaican vinyl locally. I probably have more of a vested interest in vinyl than most, but I have to say, I love serato.

I held out against it as long as I could, but my hand was ultimately forced by the decline in vinyl pressing in Jamaica. the fact is, vinyl has been dead there for at least the last five years (outside the factories that manufacture for the export market). on my first trip there in 2002, soundsystems were still playing vinyl, but a year later in 2003 there was a notable decline, and by 2004 I didn't see a single sound play from vinyl. in the last 12 months, less and less new reggae and dancehall tunes were released on vinyl, which is why I bit the bullet and bought a laptop - as much as I love vinyl, I love music more! I just got tired of having wicked new tunes on my computer that I couldn't play out unless I burned them to CD - and given the choice I'd rather play off serato than CDJs.

I still buy and collect vinyl, and I'm sure I always will - I love it. If I'm playing a small bar gig or low-profile guest spot, I'll still take straight vinyl; but if I'm playing a prime-time set where people are expecting up-to-the-time tunes, serato is a must for me. also, travelling with serato vs travelling with boxes and boxes of tunes and paying for excess luggage? hah.

anyway, respect to the vinyl purists - vinyl really is special, and I hope people never stop playing records - but in some cases digital DJing just makes sense.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Jesse I wrote:as a reggae DJ, I love 7" vinyl - for me it's the definitive format for Jamaican music. I own somewhere around 15,000 singles, and for most of the last decade I've imported and sold Jamaican vinyl locally. I probably have more of a vested interest in vinyl than most, but I have to say, I love serato.

I held out against it as long as I could, but my hand was ultimately forced by the decline in vinyl pressing in Jamaica. the fact is, vinyl has been dead there for at least the last five years (outside the factories that manufacture for the export market). on my first trip there in 2002, soundsystems were still playing vinyl, but a year later in 2003 there was a notable decline, and by 2004 I didn't see a single sound play from vinyl. in the last 12 months, less and less new reggae and dancehall tunes were released on vinyl, which is why I bit the bullet and bought a laptop - as much as I love vinyl, I love music more! I just got tired of having wicked new tunes on my computer that I couldn't play out unless I burned them to CD - and given the choice I'd rather play off serato than CDJs.

I still buy and collect vinyl, and I'm sure I always will - I love it. If I'm playing a small bar gig or low-profile guest spot, I'll still take straight vinyl; but if I'm playing a prime-time set where people are expecting up-to-the-time tunes, serato is a must for me. also, travelling with serato vs travelling with boxes and boxes of tunes and paying for excess luggage? hah.

anyway, respect to the vinyl purists - vinyl really is special, and I hope people never stop playing records - but in some cases digital DJing just makes sense.
:scr1pt:

Man knows...last lines say it all, really.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Digital mastering can be horendous for max limiting and over compression. I haven't come across that with vinyl. But having said that I haven't got the latest Metallica album on vinyl.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Blaxter wrote:Digital mastering can be horendous for max limiting and over compression. I haven't come across that with vinyl. But having said that I haven't got the latest Metallica album on vinyl.
I still treasure my copy of 'Master of Puppets' on vinyl. CLASSIC!!!

8)
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Jesse I wrote:I just got tired of having wicked new tunes on my computer that I couldn't play out unless I burned them to CD - and given the choice I'd rather play off serato than CDJs.
dubplates. :)
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

So I thought of a way to sum up this discussion, maybe come to a conclusion. I thought Id start a list we could all add to. I might be a little bit hard to follow at first but i think you'll get it. I'm also realising that i cant say for certain with a lot of gigs I've been to so add to it and advise of any mistakes.

INTERNATIONAL ARTISTS/PRODUCERS/HEADLINE ACT I'VE RECENTLY SEEN WHO ...

ONLY PLAY VINYL OR DUBPLATES

Benga -strictly dubplates

OR PLAY A MIXTURE OF SERATO/CDS WITH OR WITHOUT RECORDS

Z-Trip
Jazzy Jeff
Craze
Freq Nasty
Phace
El-P
N-Type
Dexter
Dj Vadim
Wajeed
Concord Dawn
Chaka Demus
Katalyst
Upbeats
Mr Scruff
J-Red
DJ MK (Roots Manuva's and Dizzee Rascal's tour DJ)
Shapeshifter DJ's
LTJ Bukem
Meat Katie
Elite Force
Klaus Hill
Nick Thayer
Moneyshot
N-Type
Skream
Last edited by ShiKung on Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

Now I know there are way more on the ONLY PLAY RECORDS side I just cant remember them as definitely ONLY playing records.

But the others have stuck in my mind because up about 4 months ago I've been a Vinyl only dj so have always noticed when an act I've seen has not been Vinyl only.

Especially when its Legends like Jazzy Jeff and Z-Trip
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

VINYL IS THE BEST

NO DIGITAL IS THE BEST FOR IT'S CONVIENIANCE AND U CANTZ TELL THE DIFFERENCE ANY WAYS

YER BUT VINYL SOUNDS WARMER

THATS CUZ THEY ROLL OFF THE HIGHS

AHH RLY WELL MAYBE WE SHOULD TUNE SYSTEMS ANY WAYS BETTER FOR CDS SO THEY SOUNDS LIKE VINYL.

ZOMG UR A GENIOUS.

MAN I GOING TO START PLAY SERATO.

BIG UPS MAN, VINYL SNOBBERY IS NOT FTW!!1!111 IT ALL ABOUT DIGITAL U DUN KNOW.

MAN BUT I LOVE THE FEEL

GET OVER IT DIGITAL CHEAPER..

WHO CARES ALLL ABOUT TEH RAVE ANY WAYS.

synopsis complete
youthful_implants

sums it up really. :teef:
Strontium Music

fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

ShiKung wrote:So I thought of a way to sum up this discussion, maybe come to a conclusion. I thought Id start a list we could all add to. I might be a little bit hard to follow at first but i think you'll get it. I'm also realising that i cant say for certain with a lot of gigs I've been to so add to it and advise of any mistakes.

INTERNATIONAL ARTISTS/PRODUCERS/HEADLINE ACT I'VE RECENTLY SEEN WHO ...

hmm, with n-type at least as well as skream, pretty much everything they play out is on dubplate. if they're on tour then there may be a couple of cds (as well as some on their radio shows) because you can't cut dubs in australia.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

same o wrote:synopsis complete
:lol:

if i ever start playing digital out, i'll shave my beard.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Shikung, that was a dumb list, why put recodsd and CDs/ Serato in the same column? You can't tell which DJ's only played digital?
youthful_implants

I dont understand the necessity for a list at all.
Strontium Music

ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

Blaxter wrote:Shikung, that was a dumb list, why put recodsd and CDs/ Serato in the same column? You can't tell which DJ's only played digital?
well you split them.

The point is that most DJs that play full time these days play digital or CDs and its been that way for a while.