ATG w/ Stanton Warriors & Skool Of Thought Fri Nov 27

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
andy_hoffman

Re: ATG w/ Stanton Warriors & Skool Of Thought Fri Nov 27

Post by andy_hoffman »

This makes me feel a bit better that i couldn't make it... lol

MOAR PINGAZZ!!! :smt068 :sign3:
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

I'm going to have to agree with you there Andy. Wrong for all the obvious reasons but aside from that, what a fucking try-hard tattoo! Don't worry though, looks like he's got the beginnings of a hunchback coming on there - soon enough he'll be too deformed to leave the house....

a1studmuffin: I don't think I'm looking that old but then I never looked that good so maybe it's less of a jump to where I am now... The old hair is thinning but there's no advice I could give the beautiful people to prevent that. Don't let the beer gut get too out of control might be another good piece of advice though
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Beer guts make u more manly ;) Chicks dig that! haha
...................................................................................................................................................
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

The problem with breaks is that unfortunately it is a completely different genre today compared to what it was 2000 - 2005 in terms of crowd and music. Which means when people go out looking to relive glory days it just doesn't work.
Don't hate me for house
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Sooo not ftw :lol:

Agreed Jamessss... I've tried that waaay too many times! I've been to a few dubstep gigs in the last couple of years that I thought had a similar sort of vibe to the breaks gigs back in the day (of course the music wasn't the same but I mean everything else) though...
yenks

Post by yenks »

Did the stantons actually play some dubstep ? cos i missed it if they did.

I remember reading a quote from them saying they would never play "token dubstep tracks" and were 100% break beat.
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

yenks wrote:Did the stantons actually play some dubstep ? cos i missed it if they did.

I remember reading a quote from them saying they would never play "token dubstep tracks" and were 100% break beat.
when was that quote?

cos i remember they played caspa rmx of wheres my money at goodvibes, and they played the breaks edit of it at BA followed by doorly rmx of bonkers, which is as token as you can get and it lost me :/

those kind of 'breaks edits' of other genre tunes (electro house, dubstep, whatever as long as its a big mainstream track) are hit and miss....the principle of them is annoying, and i can hear rennie pilgrem's voice whining every time i hear one, maligning the demise of true, original and interesting breaks...

i'm sure some dubstep (purist) djs would agree about some of the dubstep rerubs out there (such as doorly's bonkers). but then again if its really well done and it gets you moving...whatever floats your boat

/goes and listens to some IDM
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

bonkers, like that dizzie rascal tune??? that aint dubstep, that produced by armand van helden isnt it?
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

yenks wrote:Did the stantons actually play some dubstep ? cos i missed it if they did.

Yeah, it was about when i went down to the Mez to have a listen for the first time.

and yeah petey, the dizzie track. there must be another remix of it cos whilst i was freaking pretty pissed by that stage, you know me and dubstep, I remembered that one!!! :lol:
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

same o wrote:bonkers, like that dizzie rascal tune??? that aint dubstep, that produced by armand van helden isnt it?
like i said, the Doorly remix, which is party dubstep
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

ahh right never heard.. will make sure i dont either. huhuhu
Xen Ochren

Post by Xen Ochren »

Yep they definitly played that dubstep remix
deviant

Post by deviant »

there's a breaks remix of 'benga & Coki - night' around somewhere, it's pretty good from memory... but it was ages ago I heard it.
FliP

Post by FliP »

Kaiproject wrote: cos i remember they played caspa rmx of wheres my money at goodvibes
That was the jack beats re-edit :P
deviant wrote:there's a breaks remix of 'benga & Coki - night' around somewhere, it's pretty good from memory... but it was ages ago I heard it.

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

JAMESSSS wrote:The problem with breaks is that unfortunately it is a completely different genre today compared to what it was 2000 - 2005 in terms of crowd and music. Which means when people go out looking to relive glory days it just doesn't work.
Agreed. I cant believe how much whinging has come from this gig..
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Whingeing is fun though... I didn't even go and I got in on the action :lol:
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

yeah if no one whinged in this world nothing would ever change and we'd all be fucked :P
deviant

Post by deviant »

nah man... it would mean that everything was perfect the way it is.

in everyone's opinion.

that would be good imo
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

manofunreal wrote:Whingeing is fun though... I didn't even go and I got in on the action :lol:
:lol: same.
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

deviant wrote:nah man... it would mean that everything was perfect the way it is.

in everyone's opinion.

that would be good imo
geez thats an idealist if ever i heard one. pessimism rulz0r

but it would be good if christian lobby groups and tards like tony abbot weren't aloud to whinge
they can fuck right off
deviant

Post by deviant »

nah, they can whinge... it's just up to the rest of us to stop listening/caring

;)
menace

Post by menace »

Garden bar .... WIN
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

Here I am, thinking I attended one of the best breaks nights at least since Stantons & Krafty Kuts back in Adelaide in 2004 (I think... maybe earlier, whatever), certainly one of the best I've been to in Melbourne since moving here, and you're winging like they deliberately ran over your dog and then billed you for damages.

For the record, I'm older than most of you people. On Adelaide Massive if you type :funkyj: you get this icon Image because I'm outspoken and ranty about gigs and have been since forever. And I hate people being on my lawn.

I was caught in the rain. I was pushed around. I was hot. I had a hard time getting a beer.

It doesn't matter - the music was fucking awesome - and that's all that should matter.

Maybe it's because I have whinged for so long, maybe it's because I expect the worst when I go to gigs - I'm still surprised I've not been stabbed at a hiphop gig :teef: - but I've come to a realisation that bitching about about the crowd or security or not being able to get a beer or the weather or whatever is pointless - these things are pretty much the same no matter where you go and who you see. It's the nature of music gigs. I went to a jazz gig the other week and it had loud, pushy and annoying punters.

However, it's the music that makes a gig stand out.

And I think the music was some of the best I've heard Stantons do, at least in the last 4 years.

And here's another thing: At some point in the history of your clubbing/raving lives YOU were the ones someone else was whinging about and people were showing pictures of you to their mates and having a laugh at how ridiculous you were.

You should see some of the pictures of me from back in the day... :lol:
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

There's much more to a gig than the music and to say that the music is all that should matter devalues the hard work that many dedicated people have put into the other elements of all the awesome gigs we've all been to over the years...

Bitching about all that stuff is not pointless - it makes you feel better... Sometimes promoters even listen in and try to improve on things the next time.

Also, these things are not pretty much the same whereever you go. I went to a Heavy Innit party at Laundry before I went o/s (months and months ago) and security was awesome, the crowd was AWESOME, it was reasonably easy to get a beer...

I do agree that people would have been laughing at me back in the day though... There are way too many terrible photos of me online. It's quite scary actually.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

deviant wrote:there's a breaks remix of 'benga & Coki - night' around somewhere, it's pretty good from memory... but it was ages ago I heard it.
it by genious

if we thinking about the same one..

it more funky than breaks tho
Stray

Post by Stray »

Whingers whinge.. it's what makes them happy. I had an awesome night!
The mez level at the back was well air conditioned so watched the stantons from there and was also an awesome view!
I went up to the blights bar to get drinks as there was never a queue.
Garden bar wins though for overall excellence. Didn't leave there until we got kicked out at 9:30am.. or whatever time it was!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

manofunreal wrote:There's much more to a gig than the music and to say that the music is all that should matter devalues the hard work that many dedicated people have put into the other elements of all the awesome gigs we've all been to over the years...

Bitching about all that stuff is not pointless - it makes you feel better... Sometimes promoters even listen in and try to improve on things the next time.
As an avid punter for many years and now a promoter, I wholeheartedly agree. The music may be the basis, but it aint the be all and end all of a successful gig.
And those of us who do run parties, though sometimes the criticism is not delivered in a constructive way at all, we do hear it, and behind the scenes there are many discussions on how to improve things for the next event etc.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

same o wrote:
it by genious

if we thinking about the same one..

it more funky than breaks tho
Pretty sure it's a Slyde remix
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

ghetto kitty wrote:
manofunreal wrote:There's much more to a gig than the music and to say that the music is all that should matter devalues the hard work that many dedicated people have put into the other elements of all the awesome gigs we've all been to over the years...

As an avid punter for many years and now a promoter, I wholeheartedly agree. The music may be the basis, but it aint the be all and end all of a successful gig.
And those of us who do run parties, though sometimes the criticism is not delivered in a constructive way at all, we do hear it, and behind the scenes there are many discussions on how to improve things for the next event etc.
I realise there's more stuff than just the music and a lot of people work hard to make things happen, but to me as a punter music is all that matters.

If I was worried about crowds / weather / drinks / whatever I could stay home and listen to CDs. And a lot of my friends do that now.

But I go out despite those annoyances, and I'm aware they will be annoyances so take care to ignore them.

Of course, if the music is shit, then those things stand out even more, especially if they're worse than normal - see my rants about the Espy for a prime example.

Anyway, I've had this argument a million times on a million different forums, so will just say different strokes for different folks.

I thought it was awesome, my friends thought it was awesome, breaks still rule and will always be better than dubstep and drum and bass.
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
nic

Post by nic »

-------LOL-------
this sounds well gheya

is breaks dead?
vinyl vs. cd vs. laptop?
is everyone too young?
are there any good pingerz?

WUT TIME IS IT?
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

PEOPLE AER GETING WAY 2 YUNG THESE DAYZ!

bans imo
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Agreed
bobby bob bob
Location: Bob Fossil's Funpark, near the black & white Chinese people that eat sticks

Post by bobby bob bob »

FunkyJ wrote: For the record, I'm older than most of you people. On Adelaide Massive if you type :funkyj: you get this icon Image because I'm outspoken and ranty about gigs and have been since forever. And I hate people being on my lawn.:
So how old ARE you, you old bastard, who is old?
wizzle-wazzle

Post by wizzle-wazzle »

And here's another thing: At some point in the history of your clubbing/raving lives YOU were the ones someone else was whinging about and people were showing pictures of you to their mates and having a laugh at how ridiculous you were.
I've never heard a truer word spoken (or read one).
Amick

Post by Amick »

wizzle-wazzle wrote:
I've never heard a truer word spoken (or read one).
full circle tings