TEN YEARS OF NOTHING - not one fucking thing!

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
youthful_implants

Re: THE THREAD ABOUT THREAD!

Post by youthful_implants »

C.I.A. wrote:
apophenian wrote:And now on the news they are saying there was asbestos!
A friend I studied entomology with developed mesothelioma (the 'asbestos' related lung cancer) last year. He was studying butterflies in Costa Rica and spent loads of time catching and releasing adult butterflies during experiments he was running. The scales on the wings of moths and butterflies fracture and fragment the same way asbestos does, and at the moment we are looking at whether nanoparticles have the same effect.

Good times. Good times.

:|
is that because its ultra-fine?
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
almax

Post by almax »

Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

meatwater, anyone......

http://dinnerinabottle.com/
Amick

Post by Amick »

that is serious wrongtown.
mecka

Post by mecka »

Have founded Republic of CBFistan at work, now accepting citizens. Lax customs and border control.
youthful_implants

mecka wrote:Have founded Republic of CBFistan at work, now accepting citizens. Lax customs and border control.
eets nice I'd like to join, you can touch my sister if you want in exchange.
Strontium Music

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

harro gang...

rainy rainy lush lush....
Amick

Post by Amick »

mecka wrote:Have founded Republic of CBFistan at work, now accepting citizens. Lax customs and border control.
CBF...

Mmmm rain ftw!
almax

Post by almax »

2 more weeks of work, suns out, i feel summer coming on

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Obama pingaz

Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Amick

Post by Amick »

apophenian

Post by apophenian »

system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
gnat

Post by gnat »

lol

surf's pumping in hawaii

mrj will need to be towed in
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

house to myself tonight. w00t!
think a bottle of red, a fillum and solid couch session are in order.
yessssssssssssssssssssssss.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Sounds good witty. Been getting plenty of that action myself recently. Think I need to venture out into the social today though.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

In housing, it's a very public secret that in the USA perhaps as many as 10 million properties are empty but not included in official numbers because they are not put up for sale. Also, the Fed will move away from mortgage backed securities in early 2010. No way but down there.

As for the banks that try to look healthy by repaying TARP, they still have trillions of dollars worth of toxic assets and bad and deteriorating loans on their books and sheets, as do all their peers that did not receive free money. There is a backlog of hundreds of banks that should have been closed, but were not, and their number rises, a process dead sure to accelerate.

The last few weeks of this year will be a good test of how much more foreign governments and central banks, as well as other large investors are willing to swallow. And how much they can swallow, not to forget: China's bubble problems are by no means over or forgotten: they’re just starting.

President Obama may have a majority of his voters believing what he says, but that's not anywhere near a proper way to measure the state of the nation. For that, you will have to look at what big money does. And if that moves into the safe haven territory only the US dollar can provide, stocks will plunge, as will gold.

The thin layer of lying veneer will peel off, the one that understates unemployment, commercial and residential real estate losses and inventories, as well as losses and writedowns in the financials’ pipelines. And then the US depression can start for real.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

that written recently CIA? reference?

I have been sceptical about the floating nature of the bubble since it 'burst'. I can't say I understand the technicalities of how economists shored up the sinking ship. My feeling has been that the patches they used must have a life span; even Selleys No More Gaps lets the water in eventually, especially if you used it to try to keep an ocean liner afloat... So, will my analogies save us? I would think that Gold will actually be safe though, and as for the safety of the US dollar – that sounds like this piece may have been written to try to entice some saving grace…

What about Australian property market – I find it hard to believe it will continue on it’s merry way – or is that just wishful thinking from a dreamer who thought it would be possible to get into the market when it crashes, only to realise that the surf was only going to get bigger, after all, the balloon of fate that has landed in the ocean of time is sending us along our merry way, on this river that is a life like beast from suburbia. Take it or leave it, ive got two in my hand, best a tick that tocks’ from a hogs breath. Remember this
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Check out http://theautomaticearth.blogspot.com/

A good summary of major news sites and an overarching analysis of the health of the UK and USA financial sector.

From Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... krRPMONDW8

About foreclosures: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... id=topnews

Detroit has about 50% unemployment. People are burning abandoned houses in the CBD to stop them turning into crack dens... http://detnews.com/article/99999999/BIZ ... RECLOSURES

And from business week:

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnf ... 306801.htm

Temptation to Walk Away
The study is based on the data of some 45 million properties that carry a mortgage, which accounts for more than 85% of all U.S. mortgages. The data was filtered to include only properties valued between $70,000 and $1.25 million.
The most severe "underwater mortgages"—mortgage loans that are 125% or higher than the value of the property—are in five states: California (723,000), Florida (432,000), Nevada (170,000), Michigan (128,000), and Arizona (122,000). Underwater homes are of serious concern because for some homeowners there is little incentive not to walk away and allow the home to fall into foreclosure. Foreclosed homes drag down the prices of neighboring properties, possibly dragging more homes underwater.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Not sure how this will affect us, but suffice to say that the US is screwed and 2010 will be when the spray-paint peels off the rusting 'green shoots'.

There is talk that China cannot sustain 10% growth indefinitely and that if it tries to maintain this, it'll be following Dubai. Not sure about this, have been following US and UK markets. Our current housing price spike in the 'elite' housing market is a result of all the ex-pats coming home from London and NYC cos conditions are worsening over there.

We have been buffered by China to a certain extent, but China makes things for people to consume. If no-one has any money to spend on new fridges or flat-screen tvs, demand will drop and the ripple effect will eventually hit us because we are a source of natural resources for the Asia-Pacific region.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

spider web theory vs. house made of twigs.

1. you break one thread and the rest can stay in tact
2. you break one thread and the whole gig is kapoot.

Just came up with that then - quite happy with myself.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

:lol:

Whatever you do, just don't build your house on sand. Even if it is 1km tall, it will still fail. Dubai, I'm looking at you.

D, people like yourself will be the first to notice effects. Is there an increased demand for services? More homelessness? More hunger? More people being turned away from shelters? Housing prices won't be affected much in the short-medium term.

Keep us in the loop, look after yourself, your loved ones and your community :)
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

^^ Sounds like a conversation over a beer rather than a TTAN chat on the Monday - read - cant be bother giving full respnose right now.

>> Morning All.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

C.I.A. wrote::lol:

Whatever you do, just don't build your house on sand. Even if it is 1km tall, it will still fail. Dubai, I'm looking at you.

D, people like yourself will be the first to notice effects. Is there an increased demand for services? More homelessness? More hunger? More people being turned away from shelters? Housing prices won't be affected much in the short-medium term.

Keep us in the loop, look after yourself, your loved ones and your community :)

Beer for lunch?
Don't hate me for house
almax

Post by almax »

DBoy wrote:that written recently CIA? reference?

I have been sceptical about the floating nature of the bubble since it 'burst'. I can't say I understand the technicalities of how economists shored up the sinking ship. My feeling has been that the patches they used must have a life span; even Selleys No More Gaps lets the water in eventually, especially if you used it to try to keep an ocean liner afloat... So, will my analogies save us? I would think that Gold will actually be safe though, and as for the safety of the US dollar – that sounds like this piece may have been written to try to entice some saving grace…

What about Australian property market – I find it hard to believe it will continue on it’s merry way – or is that just wishful thinking from a dreamer who thought it would be possible to get into the market when it crashes, only to realise that the surf was only going to get bigger, after all, the balloon of fate that has landed in the ocean of time is sending us along our merry way, on this river that is a life like beast from suburbia. Take it or leave it, ive got two in my hand, best a tick that tocks’ from a hogs breath. Remember this
Dboy... putting th anal back in analogy
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

i think we need to catch up Al. Very inspired at the moment.

and then there was this..
Dear Aspiring Artist:

Here is my advice. Think of it as a five-year plan:

Take whatever courses you find the most interesting.

Study closely the work of the Old Masters.

Stop making art that originates only from your own imagination.

Stay with one technique until you perfect it.

On any given day, always be in the middle of reading a book. When you finish one, start the next. Fiction, nonfiction, biographies, autobiographies, history, science, psychology, or how to build a kite. Anything but go easy on the comic books.

Buy and read the first 6 pages of newspaper every day and also the editorial commentaries. Skip the entertainment section. Su Doku is fine. Do the crossword puzzle.

Fill up a sketchbook every month with pen or pencil drawings of the world around you, not from your imagination.

Buy a book on figure drawing. It's the only art book you will ever need.

Until you can draw an accurate portrait of someone, you don’t know how to draw.

Stay away from the airbrush. You'll never master it, hardly anyone ever has.

Visit every museum in your city. Often, until you have seen everything in it. Every kind of museum. Not only the art museums but, of course, those as well.

Forget about contemporary art by living artists, at least for the next few years.

Stay away from most art galleries. Go to art auctions. That's where the real action is.

Learn to play chess.

Take a business course.

Talk to you mother or father at least once a week.

Stop going to the movies until you have rented and seen every film on this list. http://www.time.com/time/2005/100movies ... _list.html

Do not watch television unless it’s the news or documentaries.

Do not use an Ipod.

No video games, either.

Learn a foreign language.

Learn to cook.

Spend 8 hours in a hospital emergency room.

Save up money so you can travel to a foreign country within the next five years.

Do not litter.

Avoid politically correct people.

Vote in every election or never dare to utter a political opinion. You are not entitled to one.

Buy a digital camera and take photos every day.
If you see nothing interesting to photograph, you will never be a good artist. Keep only one photo of every ten you take. Delete the rest. It will force you to learn how to edit the garbage from your life, to make choices, to recognize what has real value and what is superficial.

Visit an old age home.

Listen to classical music and jazz. If you are unable to appreciate it at least as much as contemporary music, you lack the sensitivity to develop into an artist of any real depth.

Go to the ballet. Classical or Modern, it doesn't matter. It will teach you to appreciate physical grace and the relationship between sound and movement.

Wake up every morning no later than 8 AM, regardless of what time you went to sleep.

Learn to play a musical instrument.

Learn to swim.

Keep your word.

Never explain your art. People who ask you to do so are idiots.

Never explain yourself. Better yet, never do anything that will, later, require you to explain yourself or to say you're sorry.

Always use spell check.

Stop aspiring and start doing.

This will keep you very busy but it can't be helped.
In my opinion, this is how you might, possibly, have a shot at becoming a good artist.

Hope this helps,

Les Barany
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I like that list.
youthful_implants

ghetto kitty wrote:I like that list.
I like some of that list. :smt005
Strontium Music

C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Dboy, here's the latest on the UK admitting that the sh1t is yet to truly hit the fan:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009 ... debt-fears

Won't go on about it anymore... is a Monday, the weather is lovely and holidays are almost here for the 9-5ers :)

ASHINGTON—In what is being touted by the Labor Department as extremely positive news, the nation's available labor rate has reached double digits for the first time in 26 years, bringing the total number of potentially employable Americans to an impressive 15.7 million.

"This is such an exciting time to be an employer in America," said Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, adding that every single day 6,500 more citizens join America's growing possible workforce. "There's such a massive and diverse pool of job-ready Americans to choose from. And each month the number only gets higher."

"While our current available labor rate of 10.2 percent isn't quite as robust as it was in 1982 or 1933, we're happy to say that reaching that benchmark is no longer out of the realm of possibility," Solis continued.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

"Do not use an iPod" seems a bit weird?
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

youthful_implants wrote:
okay yes, some of.

heheheh ill give it 55% accuracy on the kitty scale.
youthful_implants

ghetto kitty wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:
okay yes, some of.

heheheh ill give it 55% accuracy on the kitty scale.
haha
Strontium Music

C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Beer for lunch?
Ahhh, missed this one. Was hanging out at a toxic waste landfill, so couldn't have joined you anyway :(
Amick

Post by Amick »

Mornin' you lot!
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Don't worry jamesssss I understood. Maybe it was crack for lunch.
witty_pseudonym

:wave:

man, trying to choose music for this presentation is haaaaaaaaaaaaaard.

thinking Calibre - Got a Thing at the moment.
any other suggestions?
pref not too lyrical, rolling, short intro, 5-6mins.
something that 180 accountants can digest. :lol:

edit: so many perfect tunes on the progression sessions mixes - except for farking conrad. :(
Amick

Post by Amick »

witty_pseudonym

i was thinking of journey. :lol:

kemuri - not bad, perhaps a bit too "hip hop" and a bit dark.
mad track though.

edit: nightmares on wax looking like a good option.
Amick

Post by Amick »

witty_pseudonym

i can't access youtube at work. :(
Amick

Post by Amick »

so how are you going to play music in the meeting? hook up the iPod?
witty_pseudonym

trawling through my iriver and ipod - will then attach the track to the powerpoint pres...magically. (ok someone else is doing that part.)
Amick

Post by Amick »

oh well you've got no hope then!

:abandons sinking ship:

:teef:

Nightmares On Wax is the safe + logical option.

Good luck.
witty_pseudonym

ooh ooh ooh! maybe something from underwater dancehall!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

harro guys...

swam a kilometre today. so nice, carving through the blue water with birds calling and sunlight shimmering off the water...

:D
witty_pseudonym

i really wouldn't mind spending the afternoon outside tbh.

so restless.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

asshats