ALL CITY BASS - FEB 5 - BROWN ALLEY

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Extortion

Re: ALL CITY BASS - FEB 5 - BROWN ALLEY

Post by Extortion »

Pretty average all round.

Bought ticket before hand, of course name not down on any of their lists, ended up having to pay twice.

Mez had good dj's but poor sound. I've never enjoyed brown alleys sound really. For being called All City Bass there really needed to be more bass imo (maybe just spoilt by heartical hifi)

Bouncers there are wankers, guess that comes from being on king street.

No glasses of water? What gives there :S

Good things... well, the dnb dj's did a top job. dust/safire/cubist/bonsai - good stuff.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Enjoyed it thoroughly, thankyou to the guys who put in countless hours organising and promoting the night. It was a mammoth task to get everything working seamlessly..

I had no issues with the security, its a bit disappointing to hear that some people had grief with entry and the like, hopefully we can correct those issues at following events to ensure everyone gets in smoothly. Drink prices are absolutely ridiculous and something needs to be done about that asap.

Most of the tunes and DJs I heard were excellent, in every room there was something different for your ears to feast on!

Big ups to Mixed Messages for the effort that went into running this. Looking forward to the next one big time.
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Yeah shame to hear bout a few glitchs- but tis a professional bunch behind it so Im sure it will bounce back better.
No free water is fuct- should be a duty of care or some shit.
Check out my soundcloud page at:
http://soundcloud.com/nativedog
Mixes and productions by Native Dog
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

i just spoke to some one at liquor licensing and found out that no one has to serve free water at the moment, however they are drafting something up at the moment. the fact that a venue can get away with that shit is bs.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Its unfortunate, especially when the drink prices are absolutely fucked....

the venue itself is excellent, just needs a spanner in the works to make it more attractive.
Upcoming....
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

bonsai wrote:Its unfortunate, especially when the drink prices are absolutely fucked....

the venue itself is excellent, just needs a spanner in the works to make it more attractive.
i disagree, but it more of a personal thing for me.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

same o wrote:
bonsai wrote:Its unfortunate, especially when the drink prices are absolutely fucked....

i disagree, but it more of a personal thing for me.
fair enough petey.. :)
Upcoming....
dust

Post by dust »

Thanks to the promoters for booking me at this. I thought they did a great job managing a massive gig and all the different DJs playing. I had a really fun night.

But I too have to say i've got gripes about the venue and sound and i rarely complain on a public forum.

The Mez area where I was playing at sounded attrocious - all tops and mids.

One of the CDJs wasn't working, which was a shame for me because I had 90% CDs. Plus the light next to me kept flicking on and off throughout my set, which was distracting to say the least. I know Safire had a problem with the needles too.

I'm sorry to gripe, i thought overall it was a fun night with a great mix of genres/styles, but if you can't get the sound and equipment stuff sorted, then everything it doesn't matter what the DJs do or play, its always going to sound horrid.
Leelee

Post by Leelee »

Yeah, I hear ya G and Pete, I will never go back there again.
The venue itself is fun, I like the different areas and the concept for the night was fantastic, great array of djs and genres....however the water scenerio is as low as you can get, $10 for two soda waters is fucked, and the attitude of every bar person I dealt with was just as hideous.
Never again.
cammo

Post by cammo »

i had mixed feelings for the night. i liked how the fitted out the place n visuals. kito played a great set. n caught up wit great crew.

but why spend money on making a place look great to only sound like shite. subs in garden bar were plugged in but not working, mez had no needles, n main room sounded woah ful.

they need to kit out the place wit new sound n hire a engineer for the whole night (not cheap), hire a friendly security crew, easier said den dun, not try pay off the place with there drink prices, friendly bar staff needed n for fucks sake id like a glass of water after buying so many drinks.

good venue but far away from being a great venue

cheers for having me n hope i wasnt too harsh
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

A lot of time when the souds goes bad, its due to the DJ doing something wrng.. turning down the booth, forgetting to put up each channel to max etc.. The amount of times I have saved the sound in the garden bar is stupid.. And not due to equipment but DJ faults..

As for prices at Brown Alley.. I do agree and ythink they might get more people spending more $$$ if drinks were cheaper..
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Sat 8 - Lounge Boat Party
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

+ Rock Like This BOAT PARTY/ Strawberry fields / TRIBE NYD

CITIZEN.COM FREE music:-
http://soundcloud.com/citizen-com/
tee193

Post by tee193 »

bouncers to be harsh on the door are necessary, im sure the ladies would love packs of smacked out 40 year old wogzillas with semi's fresh from bar20 testing out there new moves learnt from extensively practising a shuffle tutorial from youtube in your grill while you wait for your pot glass of ice cubes to melt so you can have a refreshing sip of water.

night was fun regardless, still in pain but with a big smile on my face, looking forward to the next one!
cammo

Post by cammo »

tee193 wrote:bouncers to be harsh on the door are necessary, im sure the ladies would love packs of smacked out 40 year old wogzillas with semi's fresh from bar20 testing out there new moves learnt from extensively practising a shuffle tutorial from youtube in your grill while you wait for your pot glass of ice cubes to melt so you can have a refreshing sip of water.
yes you dont let people who have just walked out from strippers in but wot about the poor bloke who bought presale tickets. bogans look different than most beats crew on this forum.
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

Yes but it doesnt mean their attitudes are any better.. I have been goingto Brown Alley for nearly 10 years, and have DJed there for 7..
NEVER have I had any problems with bouncers.. And that goes for ALL of my guests too!!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

maybe that's why you don't have any problem chris...they know you.

I have been treated like scum there on a number of occasions.
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

ghetto kitty wrote:maybe that's why you don't have any problem chris...they know you.

I have been treated like scum there on a number of occasions.
yep same. its potentially a sick venue, but had issues every single time i've been there. i wouldnt ever pay to get in there
Mixed Messages

Post by Mixed Messages »

Hey everyone.

I have read all your comments, thanks for feedback. I am aware of some of the things that everyone is speaking of regarding this and other events. Sound / water / Drink prices / Security.

Its the same every-time so i am aware it must be a problem for some people, however from my experience an opinion is your own . Everyone is entitled to it and everyone's opinion does matter. However people should be aware of how there opinion, an opinion that comes from a source unknown can effect the parties reputation and growth.

I understand that people at the moment need to pick and choose where and when they go out due to the lack of money and economy prices rising in every aspect of everyday life, however its important to understand that this is not anyone's fault its the economy. Bread is $4.50 a loaf these days for God sake. A soft drink from the service station is nearly $5

It is undoubtedly the way modern civilization is moving, Its the Government we need to hate on and the attitude of the corporate monsters privatizing everything causing 3rd world hunger you should divert your opinions too. (does anyone know about these things) Things are expensive because governments want it that way. I don't feel that it is just one venue. I would be very interested to know what venues have cheap liquor prices due to the fact that liquor licensing is now x2 as much as it used to be for every venue Australia wide, forcing venues to raise drink prices. I visited 4 popular club spots over the weekend (do not want to name venues due to relations) But they where not any better. If anything exactly the same if not worse. I paid $12 for an Asahi at one venue and $9.50 for most beverages, it just seems to be the standard prices everywhere. I even did some market research Monday after reading this to make sure this was the case before saying anything. I will also be delving deeper into it and posting a statistics sheet very soon.

Does anyone go to nightspot venues in Melbourne where it is not just a DnB or Dubstep event. I do and its the same everywhere, if there are places that do not do this it could only be for the reason that they are not big venues or have anything regular running at them, low staff and security outlays etc.

All City Bass was a very expensive party in which the venue foot the bill. This kind of outlay for an underground event i can promise you would be something that no other Melbourne venue would go for.
When you keep the door at $15 even $20 it is nearly impossible to break even or even come close to not loosing money on the door. Something the venue is happy to do to ensure that underground music has a home in Melbourne. If any of the crews or myself foot the bill for this event i can tell you now we would not only be broke but not doing any parties for a while.

Instead we are able to loose money and slowly build something over time.

Crews cant afford to run parties on there own at the moment, money is tight for everyone. If it was not for Brown Alley alot of parties just would not happen.

Sound downstairs was great, sound in the Blyth was perfect. The thing that is bugging me is the Mez had a great system in there i just wish someone would have just told me and i would have turned it up. Garden bar we can not have too loud due to it being outside and neighbors

However the thing that is killing me the most is this party has taken over a year to put together. Alot of love passion and time went into this event and every crew is trying so hard to bring the underground community together whilst delivering something new, fresh and fun. Its killing us when people are ragging on the venue.
Say what it is you want to say but do it in a way that does not effect the the music loving hard working promoters.

I apologize if you where really let down or miss treated in anyway. But at the same time how do we know complaints are coming from reliable sources. You just don't know. All i know is i love music and events enough to know what goes behind them. I also appreciate the hard work that goes behind events. Anyone can rock up at a venue and rag on it. Drink prices are a problem to someone who is unemployed and not a problem to a person earning over 40k a year the dynamics are abroad. I went to Rainbow serpent this year, there where things i could complain about but i would never. Why, because It affects the beautiful message and work these people are trying to do, it is pointing out things that are out of the organizers control and bringing the party down. Instead you look past the crap enjoy the music and just have fun. Its really easy to do if you love it and you are not jaded.

I myself and other Melbourne underground crews are going to continue to try and push events at this venue regardless of negative feedback, It is the easiest place for event organizers to work without getting shafted. We will always endeavor to try meet everyone half way with the complaints we are getting but at the end of the day we can only do our best. These events are very very expensive and the support for the djs, crews and people involved is second to none over any other venue.

A venue for example that has a crew come in and run an event where the promoters take the door and the venue takes the bar can afford to charge whatever they want over the bar... The bar is 100% profit after the nights staff and expenses. But when you have a venue paying for Marketing, djs, Retainers for crews involved, promotions, Distribution, Equipment hire, extra sound and lighting and the list goes on, at the end of the day the events seem to loose alot of money. Ask any crew that runs events they all loose money, but they continue to do it for the music. Eventually though the party dies due to the fact that you just cant afford to loose money forever.

Brown Alley allows those crews security and a stress free environment to do whatever or however big of a show that they desire to do. An opportunity that in my 4 years of running events and working with venues have never encountered. In fact what i have encountered is alot of venues ripping off or taking advantage of these types of crews.

For all you who don't know me my name is Michael Muska and i am coming up to my 300th party in July. That is 300 underground events of all styles of underground music that i have run in the city of Melbourne over the last 4 years. I have dj'd for 9 years, listened, raved and know every type of music back to front. As mentioned above i now reside at brown alley because it is the only venue from my experience that has ever supported underground events. And i have worked with alot of venues, i would love to name the ones that fucked me and others like me over but as mentioned above i respect the scene to much to trash talk it. I do promise you though i have been royally fucked up the ass by most places i have run events at..Some of the Events crews out there are pretty bad too, i guess that's why negative feedback on the parties where the organizers are nothing like this can really let the people involved down. Especially when we are working towards a better future for underground music for everyone.

We are all trying to do good things for the Melbourne Electronic music scene. We would like to see collaborations like this work towards a bigger better future for music in Melbourne. We are doing our best and working with what we have got. You cant fix everything over night and you cant make everyone happy but we are doing what we are doing in hope that one day we are a big enough driving force to make the right decisions for the underground community.

Till then everyone we really need the communities support. If you do have any problems with the parties or how things are done approach it properly and send one of the crews or organizers a private email regarding the problem. When its publicly posted its damaging to the crews who work so hard and put so much of there time and passion into music and these events.

I agree some things are a bit expensive etc but for now we are in the building something. I was broke for the majority of my raving life but i managed to still have fun, and we are trying every day to make things better. The next local party i can guarantee drink specials due to the fact that it will be not as big of a budget.

Complaints

1. Sound- Let the organizers know and something will be done immediately. We are all about big sound and every other room that night was fine.
2. Security- They have a tough job and lets all be honest, people can be hard to deal with. We are not exactly all polite little angels. When i want to get into a venue i just smile and shut my mouth, and if i am blind drunk i except not to get in. ( i had a person ask for a refund because him and 5 of his mates where two pist to enter. Common)
3. No free water, i understand your dislike for this but you know what i just get my glass of ice, sometimes i ask for a pint and i go fill it up in the bathroom. Who cares, a taps a tap, water is all the same, i do it you can do it. At least its cold. Or buy a bottle and use the same bottle all night.
4. Cant afford to drink. Scab one or... .. Well I am not gonna incriminate myself and tell you what to do here.

Good points

1- Great Music
2- Great Crowd
3- Even girl guy ratio
4- Cheap entry
5- Heaps of crews involved
6- A-Grade local lineup, more then you will ever find on one lineup in one place.
7- Heaps of room to dance.
8- Security may have been tough on the door but no one was breathing down anyone's neck in the club.
9- Great vibe.
10- Original Concept
11- Good Branding and support for local artist with advertising and street press. Adds and interviews.
12- Great sound for the dubstep downstairs
13- Great visuals and plasma setup
14- Heaps of decor
15- Great support from all the crews involved.
16- Closest thing i have experienced to a Rave party in a venue.
17- Heaps of room, heaps of cool different styles of music.

I could continue to go on but already these have out weighed the negatives.

At the end of the day everyone we just wanna run cool parties and push underground sound in Melbourne. We all wanna work together for the future of dance music in this city and hopefully one day get to a point where we can have some kind of pull or say over these matters. Until then we just really need support.

I enjoyed the event and had heaps of fun. So did all of my friends, they always do. I hope that the type of feedback we are getting does not damage what we are trying to do.

I am sorry if you where truly unhappy with the event, i hope the complaints are legit and not made from chin stokers, competition, trouble makers or just all round unhappy jadded people. Complaining is easy, putting you entire being into doing what we do is a whole other level. If every person that had a complaint helped us with promotions and supporting events we would already be in the place we need to be at in order to have a greater pull over these problems. So why not help us get there or just don't cut our legs out from under us while we try.

The people that i deal with djs, producers industry figures international touring acts and my promotions not only appreciate all the hard work and events we are doing but really respect the fact that we are not money hungry corporate creeps running these events.
There are not many crews that would go to the lengths that the ones that i work with go to for underground music.. All i know is until i got a call to look at the forums all i was getting was thanks, high fives and lovely comments all weeks. Thank you to everyone who did enjoy themselves, that is why we do it.

In conclusion, I feel i know music, events, people, venues, promotions, the underground community and the ins and outs of event management well enough to say, great event everyone. Congratulations and i look forward to working with you all in the not to distant future.

Big thanks to everyone with the smiles on there faces and there hands in the air raving out and loving it, I am glad you had a good time and hope you are reading this.

Thanks for your time

Muska
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

No... I only know 1 bouncer.. do you know how many times they have changed bouncers!!!!!

And at the start i was just a punter.. for years infact before I ever got my 1st alley residency!!

And no problems for me or anyone I have ever invited to a party that didnt deserve the trouble they got. (eg someone bringing in a bottle of vodka is of course going to get kicked out).

Reagrdless. Im not saying they are perfect but i do not believe they deserve this shit!
They have some of the best acts in the world, it is one of the only remaining venues where you can have such big parties, and I think the venue itself is great, especially after the renovations. Garden bar is great , which might I add is open roof so due to noise contratints cannot have the BASS pumping all night long. And the downtairs section is one hell of a main room for main acts.. Where else could you host such big acts?
Where else has the capacity anymore?
seriously?
And dont say roxanne.. cos imo they are worse than Ba.
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

Extortion

Post by Extortion »

gaffa101 wrote:No... I only know 1 bouncer.. do you know how many times they have changed bouncers!!!!!

And at the start i was just a punter.. for years infact before I ever got my 1st alley residency!!

And no problems for me or anyone I have ever invited to a party that didnt deserve the trouble they got. (eg someone bringing in a bottle of vodka is of course going to get kicked out).

Reagrdless. Im not saying they are perfect but i do not believe they deserve this shit!
They have some of the best acts in the world, it is one of the only remaining venues where you can have such big parties, and I think the venue itself is great, especially after the renovations. Garden bar is great , which might I add is open roof so due to noise contratints cannot have the BASS pumping all night long. And the downtairs section is one hell of a main room for main acts.. Where else could you host such big acts?
seriously?
If people have a shit night they can complain. Bouncers were shit, people complained.

Roxannes is about 1000x better than brown alley, mainly due to the decent sound systems used there.
Mixed Messages

Post by Mixed Messages »

a
Last edited by Mixed Messages on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

I never said people cant complain.. It is the only way to move forward after all mate!!!

And i think these disusions are very important so a venue has a chnce to fix its own shit..

Roxanne is a death trap waiting to happen. Bouncers are just as rude.. The bars are really bad, with an even worse selection! And i have never been impressed with sound there.. Maybe Breakers and Drum and Bassers hear different things.. Stanton Warrior the sound rocked.. Where as Nextmen at Roxxanne was really really poor..
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

gaffa101 wrote:No... I only know 1 bouncer.. do you know how many times they have changed bouncers!!!!!

seriously?
i agree with all you're saying about the actual venue itself, i think its a wicked venue, just always had bouncer issues (same with Roxanne's). Personally i really like Hi Fi for bigger shows. Whats peoples thoughts on The Prince for bigger shows too, i remember when i first came to Oz back in '02 there used to be a few shows happening there, but dont really see anything going on there nowadays
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

Epic post Muska. Good points, I have dealt with BA from a couple of perspectives and hadn't thought about their support for music in this sense.
Last edited by FoundationStepper on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

i actually quite like roxanne as a venue, and am somehow not sick of it yet :)

(btw, epic message from muska just approved, several posts up)
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

respect to you for the post Muska, like i was saying i think its a great venue in itself, good luck with future events
Dstract

Post by Dstract »

Well said muska. Massive respect to the passion and effort you put into parties! I had a wicked night friday, looking forward to the next one!
OperativeNam

Post by OperativeNam »

"A lot of time when the souds goes bad, its due to the DJ doing something wrng.. turning down the booth, forgetting to put up each channel to max etc.. The amount of times I have saved the sound in the garden bar is stupid.. And not due to equipment but DJ faults.."

Dust has been DJ'ing for more than 8 years so i highly doubt it would be because she doesn't know how to use a mixer or know when a CDJ is not working or not....If a DJ is turning down the booth & not realising it or forgetting to put up each channel to the max then imo that DJ shouldn't be booked.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Deall and I used the CDJs for 2 hours without a hiccup. the play button got a bit stuck on first press but was otherwise okay. Could have done with a service for sure. Dust certainly knows what she is doing, the Mez came down to poor tuning for the room, it wasnt the fault of the DJs... I dont think that comment was directed at Dust man, more like a generalisation.. it was an excellent setup, with no sound bleeding from main room... just need some extra low-end and less tops.. and I believe it would be very difficult to tune that room, but alas next time we shall have more space and bigger sound for the dnb crew.

Muska - excellent read man, much respect to your hard work and efforts.

One thing I must disagree with... if you are earning 40K a year, drink prices STILL matter.
Upcoming....
Mysty

Post by Mysty »

Mixed Messages wrote: Drink prices are a problem to someone who is unemployed and not a problem to a person earning over 40k a year the dynamics are abroad.
I think this comment personally affected me, as yes I am a student/part-time worker/part-time dj who has to carefully look at her money situation and what gigs she can afford to go to week to week. You may be surprised in fact to find that in fact a lot of people who were probably at the All City Bass gig earn under $40k per year. Students, part-time employed, djs, producers, mc’s, promoters, full-time employed or unemployed will all fall into this demographic and should not be discriminated against. You complained about the price of bread in your post, does this mean that I can assume that you do not earn over $40k per year?

You may also find that (very generally) people who attend “popular club spots” where beers are up to $12 may be in a slightly different economic demographic to people who attend Drum n Bass, Dupstep, Glitch parties etc (I am being extremely general however). These people may have saved up their money for a particular gig (rather than going out for the hell of it) and again should not be discriminated against. I found the drink prices to be higher than the Hi Fi, Roxanne Parlour, The Mercat, The Night Owl, Miss Libertines. I can understand that Brown Alley possibly may have higher overheads than these bars, but I think there should be give and take.

Now, your probabaly thinking, other people’s money situation is not your problem...

I would like to suggest that, at the very least, when a bar charges that price for a beer you should be able to get a glass of water for free. This encourages both sober driving and responsible consumption of alcohol (not to mention saves $10 on the pocket). I have not been to another bar in Melbourne (as yet) that does not supply free water at either the side of the bar, or give out free water.

Mixed Messages wrote: I am sorry if you where truly unhappy with the event, i hope the complaints are legit and not made from chin stokers, competition, trouble makers or just all round unhappy jadded people.
I guess then my opinion in not valid as I yes I am unhappy and felt jaded by the night.

In fact, im confused…who does makes the criteria then, for a legitimate complaint?

Every complaint should be taken seriously regardless of it's legitamcy, and to assume that every person that has bad experience with you was drunk, is a little bit ignorant. If you would like complaints directly, rather than via a public forum, Brown Alley/Mixed Messages perhaps could look at giving people that option through their website.

end vent :?
Raider

Post by Raider »

^ couldn't agree more Myst. Drink prices are one thing... people want to go out and drink by now they should realise it's gunna cost... but not offering free water is bad form... and in fact I thought they made it illegal after clubs started taking cold taps out in toilets so you HAD to buy water a few years ago??
Why did the elephant get lost in the jungle?
CAUSE THE JUNGLE IS MASSIVE!

http://facebook.com/RaiderDNB
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

Go Muska.. Top notch every time!!!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

Mixed Messages

Post by Mixed Messages »

Guys fucken hell.... I am just gonna stay away from forums. This shits depressing. I love music, parties and people. I need to keep away from this crap.

Thanks everyone, sorry to others. ;-)
Amick

Post by Amick »

Mixed Messages wrote:Guys fucken hell.... I am just gonna stay away from forums. This shits depressing. I love music, parties and people. I need to keep away from this crap.

:donk:
cammo

Post by cammo »

i cant see wot the big problem is. people are making fair complaints. hopefully these will be sorted in the future. people have also given big ups the night cause you have done a great job doing such a large gig
no has slagged the night, artists, crews, crowd n people involved
i can understand this was a first time running such a event, and you learn from mistakes so the next one will be bigger n better
1. Sound- Let the organizers know and something will be done immediately. We are all about big sound and every other room that night was fine.
always a tough one. the blyth sounded great. garden subs wernt working when i had listen. no biggie sort out next time or have to be turned down due to residents. mez was all over the shop. n main room too harsh tops n not enough subs for my liking (belly not rumbling). but thats just my personal opinon
2. Security- They have a tough job and lets all be honest, people can be hard to deal with. We are not exactly all polite little angels. When i want to get into a venue i just smile and shut my mouth, and if i am blind drunk i except not to get in. ( i had a person ask for a refund because him and 5 of his mates where two pist to enter. Common)
we are all old enough to know how to deal wit security, politely, but when you have a ticket i can understand you would be ticked off. sorry your drunk, but im not. it is a tough call but the management have the right to refuse entry. end of story
3. No free water, i understand your dislike for this but you know what i just get my glass of ice, sometimes i ask for a pint and i go fill it up in the bathroom. Who cares, a taps a tap, water is all the same, i do it you can do it. At least its cold. Or buy a bottle and use the same bottle all night.
sorry but i just dont want to have to go to a bathroom n use a tap that is meant to wash your hands after using the toilet, unhealthy n unsafe. this issue can be easy to address. glasses n jug end of the bar with tap water not from a bathroom
4. Cant afford to drink. Scab one or... .. Well I am not gonna incriminate myself and tell you what to do here.
true. club has right to charge what they want. does not mean we have to like it. not much you can do here
Good points

1- Great Music
2- Great Crowd
3- Even girl guy ratio
4- Cheap entry
5- Heaps of crews involved
6- A-Grade local lineup, more then you will ever find on one lineup in one place.
7- Heaps of room to dance.
8- Security may have been tough on the door but no one was breathing down anyone's neck in the club.
9- Great vibe.
10- Original Concept
11- Good Branding and support for local artist with advertising and street press. Adds and interviews.
12- Great sound for the dubstep downstairs
13- Great visuals and plasma setup
14- Heaps of decor
15- Great support from all the crews involved.
16- Closest thing i have experienced to a Rave party in a venue.
17- Heaps of room, heaps of cool different styles of music.
agree with this all, n have not seen anyone complaining about that, apart from point 11. but thats just me
end rant
btw how do you do 300 parties in 4 years?
Leelee

Post by Leelee »

Mixed Messages wrote:Guys fucken hell.... I am just gonna stay away from forums. This shits depressing. I love music, parties and people. I need to keep away from this crap.

People on this forum love music, parties and people....and regularly frequent gigs around Melbourne, and that is why our opinions should be noted.

The people who have come onto this thread to voice their legitimate complaints have had depressing experiences at the venue on more than one occasion, and you 'staying away from this crap', and not seeming to show much interest in amending any of these issues may just mean that they stay away for good. And every person counts. I have plentiful event management experience, and when people are starting to voice negative opinions, maybe it is time to actually have a look at how to deal with some of these? Two of the most common complaints are the attitudes of the bar staff and the lack of free water - surely these are two issues that could be easily sorted?

I do agree that forums can get a little messy, with a tirade of different opinions, so maybe you can direct people to where we may make a formal complaint?
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

I find the comment about drink prices and salary total bullshit tbh. Who are you to say that if I earn over $40K then I should suck it up? $40K really isn't much in this day and age, and I for one struggle to make ends meet and earn more than this.

$10 for a beer is fucking outrageous in anyones book. Hell, that's only a few dollars shy of a 6 pack! This obviously has nothing to do with the crew putting on the gig, so I hope it's not seen as a dig at them, but when are venues going to realise that this is just silly. More money would be made if drinks were a few dollars cheaper. I couldn't justify more than a couple at that sort of price.

/2c
Mixed Messages

Post by Mixed Messages »

Just made comment i want to stay away cause its never ending. It took me ages to write that thing i just dont have anything left.

As mentioned on numerous occasions i have heard the complaints and will do my best to make changes.

The 40k a week thing was just a figure of speech, try relax please. I spent $400 on alcohol in clubs last weekend and i earn less then 40k a year. I blame myself come Monday ;-)

Camo to answer your question i have run events at numerous venues simultaneously . In 08 i was running Revolver Thursday Candy Bar Friday and Roxanne Parlour Saturdays all 52 weeks of the year aswell as a sunday for half of that at Q-bar. For all of you who don't know i was the booker for Roxanne parlor for the first year of it running i was one of the reasons the venue found its feet. I love the venue and its a shame it has come up in some posts, I only moved to BA because they support my events in ways that no other venue has ever before. I have even done things at night owl, Hoot This was my best mate Kodiak Kids party there every friday. I know the venues you speak of.

I guess one of the reasons to as why i am use to the drink prices is due to the fact that i have worked in venues where i am just use to paying that amount.

Guys my last comment was not to be taken the wrong way none of it has been. To be honest this is the first time i have used forums, i just had no idea this is what they are like.

I have to get back to work, i hope everyone is ok with the posts.
Last edited by Mixed Messages on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mixed Messages

Post by Mixed Messages »

Fair call about the toilets too Cammo, i feel a bit gross now.
tee193

Post by tee193 »

Kudos for writing all that Muska, wicked venue, not so much the smaller rooms but the downstairs part and the rooftop always have a huge vibe everytime i have been there.

drinking more before you go will save you money and make you better at life.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

Muska, you come across as pretty hardworking and passionate, and mature in not taking part in forum niggles. Indulging more in forum bickery is only going to erode that, whatever you actually say.

Keep up putting your energy into the right place then aye!

cheers
Antron
Location: [noun] a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Post by Antron »

Mixed Messages wrote: 2. Security- They have a tough job and lets all be honest, people can be hard to deal with. We are not exactly all polite little angels. When i want to get into a venue i just smile and shut my mouth, and if i am blind drunk i except not to get in. ( i had a person ask for a refund because him and 5 of his mates where two pist to enter. Common)
Hi Michael.

Yes, I was denied entry prior to even opening my mouth. I am new to this city and no one in the scene knows me. So I guess leaves me at a disadvantage. However, have been making my way to gigs since 1998, so I know when I have been ripped off.

As I have told you in me email complaint: None of my 5 mates were denied entry.

But, as I was the primary ticket holder via http://brownalley.qjump.com.au/ , everyone was then requested to purchase another ticket to get in. :!: :?

So, I attempted to take down the name of the security staff who denied me and my friends, but he only gave me a mock name "Peter Parker". So I lodged a formal complaint with the Colonial Hotel, who have not responded to 2 emails. I asked for a refund from QJump, and they said I should contact you. But you have stated that I will not be receiving one.

Not really happy about how this has turned out.
Mixed Messages

Post by Mixed Messages »

Thanks Tee and Foundation, means alot to me to get that type of feedback.

Dstract, Citizen and other guys involved big ups for your support has always been really tight and much appreciated.

I can promise everyone that i will push for the free water pretty hard this week.

Hopefully i can get back to you all with something positive soon.

Anton i just sent you an email. It was not explained to me that your other friends could not get in because of the visa purchase, i was only told it was because you where Pist. I will sort this out for you tomorrow, we will find a soloution..... shoot me through your number to my email.

Peace
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

big up! onwards and upwards.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
phonetics

Post by phonetics »

looking forward to the next one...
REST-LESS Friday October 14 MERCAT BASEMENT

View this on Soundcloud

shepherd

Post by shepherd »

It is undoubtedly the way modern civilization is moving, Its the Government we need to hate on and the attitude of the corporate monsters privatizing everything causing 3rd world hunger you should divert your opinions too
heh