is melbournebeats.com dead?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.

is melbournebeats dead?

yes
42%
no
16%
rugs option
42%

Total votes: 31

ghetto kitty

Re: is melbournebeats.com dead?

Post by ghetto kitty »

thats a good idea...

id be happy to promote the site, i kind of already do...which is why i hear the comments i posted above from people who would post more, but dont...

but ppl prob dont want loudmouth kitteh 'repping' for the majority...

:lol:
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

I'm not sure getting an influx of new, young posters will acheive much, tbh: it's quality not quantity that is the problem.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

quiet roar wrote:I'm not sure getting an influx of new, young posters will acheive much, tbh: it's quality not quantity that is the problem.
I'm not sure that rule applies to the internetz
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
mecka

Post by mecka »

quiet roar wrote:I'm not sure getting an influx of new, young posters will acheive much, tbh: it's quality not quantity that is the problem.
It might not be the best solution but it's the easiest thing to do especially when the forum is being taken over by jadedness/apathy.
nic

Post by nic »

c00l thread TBH
Breaks is dead

:teef:
mrj

Post by mrj »

i thought that nic started this thread as a pisstake yes. given that everything that comes from nic is essentially a pisstake. even the serious stuff. especially the serious stuff.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Gliding High wrote:But my main suggestion for you - and I mean this in no means personally, but completely for the good of the forum - would be to sack yourself. Take one for the team. Commit virtual Hari Kari. Step from this dismal digital life to the next with honour.
Look, that's just how I see it. To me, you are the engineer of much of of the disfunction in here. Your playing of god has caused a great many to leave.
the last time i edited, deleted or moved any post other than my own or spam (or to fix up broken links, delete duplicate posts, etc) was the 25th november -- putting a note under the link to the guy who dives head-first into concrete to say that it's ridiculously graphic. before that, i cut out some nsfw material in july 2009, and locked a topic entitled 'You are an ugly CUNT !!!' in may 2009. i banned one of the regulars here for a day around the same time as i banned NakedAge for good -- about a year ago -- and other than that i can't remember having banned anyone else.

so if doing about five things in the space of a year or probably more qualifies as being heavy-handed, then i'd hate to see what it'd be like if we were actually genuine fascists.

i guess if you were moderating a site, then you'd be switzerland? never express any opinion on any topic ever, and certainly never be friends with anyone? seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't: say anything and omg the mods are oppressing me; say nothing and you're a nameless faceless jackboot mod how dare he speak up he isn't even part of the 'scene'.

anyway, this is all fair fucking pointless really. if you want to be a part of the scene, then put your money where your mouth is and get no sleep because you go out and support the music you love each and every weekend. that's worth a hell of a lot more than shitcanning people on an internet forum for the sake of it.

cheers for the support!
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

mecka wrote:100% agree with the new blood needed thoughts. More promotion of the forum is needed as a whole whether or not its a sig on a post or a mention on other forums. I think the lack of this comes down to the fact that mb.c doesnt really have a public "face" like it did when lucas & karl were running it. Mods - whilst it is by no means part of their job description - should be taking greater steps to ensure an influx of new posters. Im aware that this is difficult for everybody but without it we will see the final death of this forum sooner rather than later.
nod, fair cop ... the newbies thread is a really good idea, so here it is. :)

i agree that it's a problem that everyone on here seems to be jaded as hell. god knows i'm not helping, haha.

the melbournebeats parties didn't seem to end well (though i wasn't involved, and pretty sure i was overseas for all of them): the people involved in the last ones pretty much said 'never again'. spreading the word is definitely a good idea tho, i'll try to pimp it out a little bit from too much and i guess even little things like 'tracklistings will be on melbournebeats.com after the show' on radio shows help.

but then again ... who really goes on forums these days aside from jaded ex-ravers? facebook is king now, really.
Gliding High
Location: Little Evil's evil cave, 666 Nasty St, Horribleville

Post by Gliding High »

fooishbar wrote:
Gliding High wrote:But my main suggestion for you - and I mean this in no means personally, but completely for the good of the forum - would be to sack yourself. Take one for the team. Commit virtual Hari Kari. Step from this dismal digital life to the next with honour.
Look, that's just how I see it. To me, you are the engineer of much of of the disfunction in here. Your playing of god has caused a great many to leave.
the last time i edited, deleted or moved any post other than my own or spam (or to fix up broken links, delete duplicate posts, etc) was the 25th november -- putting a note under the link to the guy who dives head-first into concrete to say that it's ridiculously graphic. before that, i cut out some nsfw material in july 2009, and locked a topic entitled 'You are an ugly CUNT !!!' in may 2009. i banned one of the regulars here for a day around the same time as i banned NakedAge for good -- about a year ago -- and other than that i can't remember having banned anyone else.

so if doing about five things in the space of a year or probably more qualifies as being heavy-handed, then i'd hate to see what it'd be like if we were actually genuine fascists.

i guess if you were moderating a site, then you'd be switzerland? never express any opinion on any topic ever, and certainly never be friends with anyone? seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't: say anything and omg the mods are oppressing me; say nothing and you're a nameless faceless jackboot mod how dare he speak up he isn't even part of the 'scene'.

anyway, this is all fair fucking pointless really. if you want to be a part of the scene, then put your money where your mouth is and get no sleep because you go out and support the music you love each and every weekend. that's worth a hell of a lot more than shitcanning people on an internet forum for the sake of it.

cheers for the support!
I've done my time in the scene - run parties, benfits, multi-floor bonanza's - the works. Putting my money where my mouth is comes off a a bit of a ridiculous line to draw in the sand mate. :lol:
Admittedly, I'm not really part of it now, I attend the odd gig here and there - but I still would like to see it flourish. As would anyone that knew and loved it when it was banging.
(Probably will be playing gigs again mid year - so this is all irrelevant).

So basically, what your saying is, that you involvement in this forum has had absolutely no influence on the overall massive decline of numbers and general quality? You are an innocent bystander, who selflessly moderates, and does the odd bit of snide headkicking, for the good of the people?
Rigggggghhhhht. :roll:

I still think you should sack yourself, so the place can move forward, or at least die with some grace. Sorry. :smt004
aroes

Post by aroes »

oh dude, ffs

dry your eyes and move on
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

Gliding High wrote: (Probably will be playing gigs again mid year - so this is all irrelevant).
errr...

breaks is dead tho.
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

Will even drop some Marine Parade for you my man - even if it clears the floor. lol
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

ooop - looks like a successful trip mate, caught a big one. :lol:

same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

Gliding High wrote:Will even drop some Marine Parade for you my man - even if it clears the floor. lol
i left breaks along time ago, dark days the were, check the myspace www.myspace.com/sameodubstep
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

Dubstep is fading a bit tho yeah? I mean, it's ok, but you just can't dance to it ;)
Breaks is ruling again though it seems? :)
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

^ you're a shit stirrer Drew.

Ha!

Hope you're well mate.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

Gliding High wrote:Dubstep is fading a bit tho yeah? I mean, it's ok, but you just can't dance to it ;)
Breaks is ruling again though it seems? :)
you can dance to it, but you cant shuffle to it as you can with the breaks..
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

Can you dance like this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0hM5bm-Pg

:smt005
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

wouldnt know, i am unable to view youtube at work...

i assume that you could tho.
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

Feigs :smt006

All good man. Fit and healthy. Life is rocking.
Hope you are doing well too man 8)
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

same o wrote:wouldnt know, i am unable to view youtube at work...

i assume that you could tho.

Man, I couldn't even to begin to know how to dance like that.

Shuffle, shuffle, double fist, shuffle back, punch to the side.

That's some technical shit right there. :D
almax

Post by almax »

fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Gliding High wrote:So basically, what your saying is, that you involvement in this forum has had absolutely no influence on the overall massive decline of numbers and general quality? You are an innocent bystander, who selflessly moderates, and does the odd bit of snide headkicking, for the good of the people?
Rigggggghhhhht. :roll:
what do you want me to say?
Gliding High wrote:I still think you should sack yourself, so the place can move forward, or at least die with some grace. Sorry. :smt004
you're entitled to your opinion, and i mine. we disagree. life goes on.
nic

Post by nic »

no saemofunky still?
:cry:

seckle seckle bruk triplets off beat kicks and treble
meckle
neckle

:smt007
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Nuc, lurn the lenguage, k, bro?
"Bruk treplets", bro. "Treplets". End kecks. FFS, lurn the lengo.
Last edited by C.I.A. on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
retzie

Post by retzie »

MB dead? You wanna see dead, go to Bijou *crosses self*

I think the main enemy here is regular MBers having so-called 'real lives'. I mean FUCK - people get a job they like, or mebbe a gf they like and BANG, they're gone. No fucken loyalty, imo. More needs to be done to combat this. We should be standing in the way of functional relationships (although, dysfunctional ones usually bring posts, so.... :idea: ) and getting people fired/demoted down to shit they can do easily whilst posting. This whole 'going overseas' gaff has also got to go. FFS, we need actual criminal convictions if we want to get those visas rejected.

PS. As for being welcoming to new peeps, this is a small forum, so it has (and always has had) an element of people only replying if they know you (or you post something really offensive :teef: ). Changes by about a billion once you've met people for reals, though. This is where it is actually useful to differentiate between people who get out and about and those who don't: if you want new people, you're going to have to *gasp* talk to them (likely at gigs). Also, er... intro threads work better, if, yanno, we all have to introduce ourselves too :hiding:

PPS. I'm pretty sure it was the move from Image to :shock: that killed MB (and breaks [and Elvis]).
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
nic

Post by nic »

:lol: x :roll: = :smt024
lengs out seen

+1 The Original Shock emotioncon

...wait...
CIA IN OFFENSIVE SHOCK EDIT TO PROTECT MY FEELINGSS!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
his thread has got lots of people unlurked tbf. goog times for all
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Nec, whet the feck yu on abot bro>?

Treplets or shet the feck ep.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Gliding High wrote:Breaks is ruling again though it seems? :)
Breaks or faux-electro cheese?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

maybe the newbs are scared off by the constant genre bashing between people on a site that promotes itself to only be for those genres anyways...

?
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

^^ ha ha ha. Actually, that bit has always amused me.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yah i know, but if you are an outsider you may not instantly understand the implied TEEF with every comment

:lol:
nic

Post by nic »

:teef: :scr1pt:
spin

Post by spin »

make the forum a new color and start mb.com radio station, fixed.
ANYTHING:TEST
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
http://gutterhype.blogspot.com/
nic

Post by nic »

puprle / brown
almax

Post by almax »

spin wrote:make the forum a new color and start mb.com radio station, fixed.
now theres an idea!
mb.com radio available on itunes radio and through the website.
How hard is it to do this these days? Could advertising cover costs? you could record like 4 hours, then repeat it all day like other radio stations do.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

nic wrote:no saemofunky still?
:cry:

meckle
neckle

:smt007

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

almax wrote:
now theres an idea!
How hard is it to do this these days? Could advertising cover costs? you could record like 4 hours, then repeat it all day like other radio stations do.
yeah, it's not overly hard to do, you've just got to come up with enough content. i know it sounds really easy in theory, but, er, we couldn't even manage to get one mix a month. :)
almax

Post by almax »

fooishbar wrote:
almax wrote:
now theres an idea!
yeah, it's not overly hard to do, you've just got to come up with enough content. i know it sounds really easy in theory, but, er, we couldn't even manage to get one mix a month. :)
outsource it, hell im sure there is plenty of DJs and wanna be DJs on here that would love to do a couple of hours a week. Lets say you get 14 DJs to do a 2 hours set a week (maybe 1.75 hours, .25 hours of advertisements etc).
Thats 4 hours of Melbourne content every day.
And if you are really stuck i guess you could even re-host a RBMA radio podcast every now and then.
It could be done, perhaps you or Sacha dont have the time, but im sure someone has the passion and time to do this.
almax

Post by almax »

i nominate Dboy to do a set btw
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

almax wrote:
fooishbar wrote:
almax wrote:now theres an idea!
outsource it, hell im sure there is plenty of DJs and wanna be DJs on here that would love to do a couple of hours a week. Lets say you get 14 DJs to do a 2 hours set a week (maybe 1.75 hours, .25 hours of advertisements etc).
Thats 4 hours of Melbourne content every day.
And if you are really stuck i guess you could even re-host a RBMA radio podcast every now and then.
It could be done, perhaps you or Sacha dont have the time, but im sure someone has the passion and time to do this.
happy to do the hosting - the issue has more to do with getting content, like fooishbar said.

that said, perhaps just a player and a slightly restricted upload method is all that is required for this. will have a look at the itunes radio specs.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

a new design is a great idea, ditto the radio station.

flagging now the likelihood of advertisements depending on the bandwidth used for radio though.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
almax

Post by almax »

system wrote:
a new design is a great idea, ditto the radio station.

flagging now the likelihood of advertisements depending on the bandwidth used for radio though.
i think its to be expected that there will be advertisements, perhaps if you could keep them industry specific though (which i guess would be the norm anyway).
So who wants to provide content? could include interviews with local and touring DJs/producers etc too.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

:lol: i copuld bring back "Electrobe" did it for 4 years from 1998 - 2002 on 95.7FM.
Loved it - better than mixes adding some content.

Just not sure on logistics - who manages uploads etc.
All i could do is content.

Would lil'E do a show?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I like the straightup.com.au model as well - if you are worried about people not providing the content especially.
Shows update when they can...
nic

Post by nic »

i will do a boring weekly show
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

lessons in the unknown language of Nic?
nic

Post by nic »

yes
b2b w/ multi-rave music
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

I would title Nick's show

Nic - Explained
nic

Post by nic »

i like the idea of radio shows with no mixing tbh, just smash tunes on. old new whatever. bit of chatter, guest spot lols etc. not just music, maybe a rant and a theme.

much better than listening to beatport top 10 'bangerz' rearranged for teh 6th time