Tours, promoters and crews

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
bonsai

Tours, promoters and crews

Post by bonsai »

To the crew who care, dont want this to sound like a rant, yet it concerns me..

Recently some people/crews that I work with have been attempting to bring out a tour for a Melbourne leg. The response we got pretty much was 'we dont work with any other crew instead of 'such and such' in Melbourne'.
I know for a fact that this particular show would very well regardless of where you booked it, and many people are very keen to see the particular act/s in mention, yet they have not been booked for a Melbourne show - even after I expressed my interest numerous times to the agent. Why is it that these tours are not open for hosting by anyone who is willing to have a go and bring them in? I'm sure the artist/s is more than keen on playing a Melbourne show..

I think its pretty damn pathetic that these gigs aren't being offered to other crews when another is not keen to put on the show.

Now, when did our scene come to the point where other interstate crews depict who brings in internationals?

Opinions?
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
ghetto kitty

Re: Tours, promoters and crews

Post by ghetto kitty »

perhaps because they want their acts to be guaranteed a good show, in a good venue, with the right promo and lineup to compliment, and you can't guarantee that with an unknown promoter or someone you have never worked with.

its not just about getting the right fee for internationals, its about putting them with the promoter who will do justice to the act that they are etc...

most agents ask around, shop around, and approach those who will not only take on the financial risk of the show, but who have a track record/rep that goes along with that.
DJ Lickweed

Post by DJ Lickweed »

To be honest i'm very much over these "politics" that occurs between some of the crews, in melbourne and interstate, i mean aren't all of us just trying to have a good time putting on these parties & events ?

Last friday at Brown alley i think we showed our crowed that there are a fair few crews around who just want to have a good time and are willing to join foresee in order to do that, if we can do that with bigger gigs as well than we can make sure our scene stays strong and gets bigger and better...

I mean, i'm not just a promoter, i'm a punter most of all and i feel that i'm missing out of good international DJs/producers because this so called "politics".

I know putting on these events can cause some competition between crews but i know for a fact that most of the crews around melbourne are not trying to compete with each other or put on a big night the same night as another crew on purpose, i mean why would u ?

thats my 2 cents.... have a good day ;-)
Latest Mix:

View this on Soundcloud

AMB - 10th October @ My Aeon
DnB Arena - 19th October @ BA
Tribe - 28th Dec @ BA
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

How can you make that assumption when you have never worked with that particular crew?

And, if the crew that you usually work with do not pick up the show in that particular state, shouldnt it be open to those who support that music, and can throw a monster, if not better show...
Upcoming....
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

Contact agents directly.. Usually they will only take notice when you have approached them the right way.. You gtta prove that your the right man for the job to host the gig.. Cos usually (as bo hit the nail on the head) lots of acts have been burned in elbourne by playing for promoters who dont know what they are doing, and lets face it, no publicity is better than bad publicity. If i wqere a producer i woul much rather miss a state than play to 5 people and cop the flack that it was a shit gig.. (which usually punters put down to the act, not the poor promotional skills).

So my advice is do what i did.. Write a proposal for the agents. Detailing what you have done in the past.. The capacity of your gigs. ow you promo and how this will be benificial for the internatonal..

Additionally $$$$ is also another major player and most crews in MElbourne simply cannot afford lots of these internationals so tey simply miss out. Reasons for this.. They can make the money elsewhere, so why lower their fees so much they miss out on more $$$ When they can get a show in Syd, Perth etc for what tey are worth..

I hope this helps a bit mate.. I took me ages to get offers. and even longer to get the agents respect to book the shows.

Is be happy to discuss further if it helps mate..

[email protected]
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Sat 8 - Lounge Boat Party
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

+ Rock Like This BOAT PARTY/ Strawberry fields / TRIBE NYD

CITIZEN.COM FREE music:-
http://soundcloud.com/citizen-com/
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

you dont have to assume that they assume. this is a small country.

you can usually follow crews/promoters online, forums etc and fine out what kind of events they have done etc..or speak to others in their city etc, and we all do!

but im not an agent. im on the other side of the fence, and tbh i find most agents will try to sell their acts to as many promoters as they can really. so not sure why your on some blacklist for that particular act!

edit - yup chris. new promoters gotta prove themselves! same in any industry tbh.

im happy to discuss further, but bonsai had already decided he doesnt want to know me from the nasty pm's i have recieved on here

:lol:
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

ghetto kitty wrote:perhaps because they want their acts to be guaranteed a good show, in a good venue, with the right promo and lineup to compliment, and you can't guarantee that with an unknown promoter or someone you have never worked with.

its not just about getting the right fee for internationals, its about putting them with the promoter who will do justice to the act that they are etc...

most agents ask around, shop around, and approach those who will not only take on the financial risk of the show, but who have a track record/rep that goes along with that.
wow for the first time I think I agree with every thing you have said GK.

I have been lucky with dubstep as I have been around pretty much since the start, I did a show with cammo and then from there I have had contacts.

Benny the best thing imo that you can do, is do lots of local parties and get your "crew's" name out there.

From what I gather, I may be wrong and if I am I apologise, but you have not done an international party before, promoters are going to be wary of this, and tbh it probably a good thing as you will prolly loose heaps of $$, think I have made money twice. lol.

As far as a crew only going through one crew, well at the end of the day it has sweet fuck all to do with the "scene" and the progression of the "sound", it is business and that's it, people have to be professional, and people do work hard to create a good working relationship with other states. This does make it harder to break in, but once you do, you’re in. Just wait you will most likely get a chance, and when you do, impress the pants of the artist so they go back to the agent and say this guy treated me the best in Australia.

People might disagree with what I have said but this is pretty much my experience.
teyastro

Post by teyastro »

I have to agree with contacting the agents directly, its a shame they don't always contact you back, I also have to agree with it takes $$$$$ to make these kind of events happen successfully...as for the politics of it all....I think its insane that a bigger promoter wouldn't offer a smaller promoter a gig just to save a bit of reputation, even if they were under the impression it would still be a great gig. Its a selfish and money driven approach to events, I would like to change this but the truth is its not about the music its about the money in this case.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Thank you all for you excellent responses, especially yours Petey & Chris. I appreciate the information..

the rabbit hole goes deeper in my circumstance though, I shall use the information you guys have provided and see what happens.
Upcoming....
aroes

Post by aroes »

bonsai wrote:Thank you all for your excrement

the rabbit goes deep

:shock:
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

aroes wrote:
bonsai wrote:Thank you all for your excrement

the rabbit goes deep

:shock:
absolutely fucking hilarious.
Upcoming....
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

How deep does the rabbit hole go?........

I have the blue pills.
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

bonsai wrote:Thank you all for you excellent responses, especially yours Petey & Chris. I appreciate the information..

the rabbit hole goes deeper in my circumstance though, I shall use the information you guys have provided and see what happens.
:lol:

whatever. good luck digging yourself out of that hole mate.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

also benny you need to look at it like this.

if i bring x person to australia i am going to want them to have the best experience while they are here, if i put x person with some one i dont know and they fuck it up, then that is my responsibility. dnb dubstep etc is small and artists do talk. then if i go to bring y person out they may say fuck that x person told me that you did rah rah rah.
Last edited by same o on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

My Opinion:

Stop going public with your thoughts and discuss it with the concerned parties in a simple, concise and professional manner. If that does not work, then proceed to put your money where your mouth is and make a proper offer. If that does not work, then move on, but maintain integrity and stay offline. It does not help your cause.
ImageImage
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

^^ pete and jerry are spot on imo.

bear in mind that the agent is basically responsible for the entire tour. if the agent books a shit show, or the artist gets put up in a backpackers' hostel instead of a decent hotel, or the promoter isn't at the airport, or, or, it will reflect badly on the agent. so as much as it sucks for promoters who are trying to do the right thing, i can see the arse-covering from the agent's perspective.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

lol reading my last post you may think i was drunk... spelling fail.

and agree with jerry.
nic

Post by nic »

from an outsiders point of view:

there is waste-crew and there are pro-crew.

generally the more 'broken speakers and silhoutted skylines' there are the more waste is involved.
OperativeNam

Post by OperativeNam »

I agree with Jerry & Petey & GK.
Maintaining your professionalism is very important because at the end of the day when there's money involved, its a business.
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

^^^^

Nail on the head!!!
And something that has not been mentioned also is that Crews can also leave a bad taste in the m outh for our ENTIRE CITY!!!
I have known acts in the past that dont wanna come to Melbs cos they have been burned in the past by unprofessional crews.. And unfortunatly in out buisness people know people and word travels.
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Do people claim gig losses against tax?
Don't hate me for house
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

So I realise that isn't quite how it works: but question remains.
Don't hate me for house
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

it depends how your organisation's set up. if it's a partnership-type arrangement where your business is basically just two certificates and a bank account, then yes, you can use that loss to offset your personal tax liability.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

JAMESSSS wrote:Do people claim gig losses against tax?
if set up as a business there's no reason why not. you can only pay tax on EBITDA so if there's nothing there there can be no tax. If it's a hobby I'm not so sure ... generally most hobbyist agents do things under the table so who knows if you can claim a large gig loss to offset PAYG tax as part of a day job.