DARKBEAT is going LIVE - Sat July 2 @ Brown Alley

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Rollin

DARKBEAT is going LIVE - Sat July 2 @ Brown Alley

Post by Rollin »

LETS FUCK SHIT UP AND BRING ON THE MADNESS.....

Darkbeat returns on Saturday July 2 @ Brown Alley

This time around - all tastes from deep house, to progressive through to break beat have been taken into consideration - we have secured the most diverse and distinctive lineup to date! All within the comfortable surrounds of Brown Alley powered by the BEST sound system in Melbourne….

For the first time at Darkbeat we are incorporating not one but two LIVE acts, along with 8 DJ's !! All fired up to dish you the finest in intelligent electronic music.

Darkbeat featuring:

Jono Fernandez (LIVE)

Jono Fernandez has achieved more as a producer and DJ in the last few years than many do in an entire career. At 15 Jono discovered club life and dance music in Canberra and he soon began Djing. Not long after supported by his classical training in piano, violin, flute and guitar he launched his successful career writing and producing electronic dance music. With his music earning him global accolades from peers and enthusiasts alike, Jono has since released tracks that are played and charted worldwide and have found their way into the record bags of many Australian and international artists including John Digweed, Sasha, Dave Seaman, Anthony Pappa, James Zabiela, Plump DJs, Blim, Hybrid, Hernan Cattaneo, Gerry Bonham, Kasey Taylor, Ivan Gough, Phil K, Gab Oliver, Luke Chable, Moshic and Gordon Kaye.

In addition to his production accomplishments, Jono has also had an impressive DJ career. Jono was instrumental in establishing the progressive club scene in Canberra and now forms an integral part of the Melbourne scene. Since 1995 the Fernandez following has been rapidly multiplying with huge numbers turning out to see him play with consistent appearances and residencies at various Australian events, club nights and venues in Melbourne, Canberra, Cairns, Brisbane, Perth and Sydney. Amongst his guest spots and residencies, Jono has played alongside Dave Seaman, Nick Warren, Anthony Pappa, Kasey Taylor, James Zabiela, BT, Andy Jarrod, Danny Howells, Craig Richards, Barry Gilbey, The Orb, Lexicon Avenue, Mara, Plump DJ's and Krafty Kuts.

Not content with his current gig schedule and workload Jono has also developed a production course to share his knowledge with upcoming producers and DJ's while at the same time increasing his own portfolio of trademark individualistic sounds and adapting his considerable production skills to do more remix work. Jono is recognised as a well-respected pioneering talent who works tirelessly and brings maturity and experience to the studio. His musical expertise crosses a broad set of modern genres including, deep house, progressive, breaks, tech-house and ambient.

Red Bee (LIVE) - [SaraBee & Andi Red]

Their work with australian dance music website tranzfusion.net, passion for music and the melbourne scene brought vocalist and songwriter Sara Brooke and DJ/Producer Andi Maccoll (aka Sara Bee and Andi Red) together for the first time in 2004.

Since then the two dynamos have decided to join their talented forces to create an innovative live act "Red Bee". Red Bee fuzes a combination of live performance, dj-ing, vocals and effects whilst pushing the traditional boundaries of your standard electronic set.

In a Red Bee set expect to hear a mix of old and new, covers and originals... they will try and capture your attention by making you shake your ass on the dance floor, while tugging on your emotions. Playing music ranging from ambient to progressive, breaks to house, with a bit of electro and tech thrown in for good measure.

This is Red Bee's deput performance in Melbourne!

Rollin Connection:

Rollin Connection are the duo of Darius Bassiray and Daniel Banko who are leading the pack of new young DJ's with their unique blend of deep 4/4 and progressive breaks. Anyone who has caught sight of a Rollin Connection set can attest one underlying factor which always remains evident - its for the dancefloor.

Rollin Connection recently completed a tour of Thailand with Gary Dubbs (UK - Coldtap Recordings), where they played major clubs Bangkok showing the Asian underground how their Melbourne influenced sound - namely how deep progressive edged house mixed with breakbeat can elevate a room, where packed crowds night in, night out witnessed Rollin Connection lift the roof of on many occasions.

Within Melbourne, Rollin Connection have played at almost every single major Melbourne progressive/breaks night including Private Function, Future Breaks, Earthcore Presents, Volume, Fathom, Envy, Pixelfree, Terminal 9, Phreakin, Sideways, Ascend, Remission, Bamboo, and Darkbeat.

Collectively, Rollin Connection have supported Australia's best DJ's within Melbourne as well as supported some of the worlds best DJ's including Jonathan Lisle, James Holden, James Zabiela, Phil K, Habersham & Numinous, Gary Dubbs, Soul Of Man, Klaus “Heavyweight” Hill, Aquasky, and John Delegelis, as well as playing with almost every major respected progressive/breaks DJ within Melbourne.

Rollin Connection have delved into production with their tracks getting attention from around the world including having their tracks signed to EDM, support from Jonathan Lisle, Moshic, Mike Miller, Habersham, Gary Dubbs, Powerplant, Chris Micali, KVK, Steve McMahon, Pat Foosheen & Naveen G, Smight, Jondi (Momu), Bart Van Wissen, Hisham Samawi, Fine Cut Bodies, and Blake Jarrell.

Darkbeat featuring:

Jono Fernandez (LIVE), Red Bee (LIVE), Rollin Connection, ferris & grey (NZ), Matt Hofman, Luke Simpson, Myke Ireland, and Mod-R.

Saturday July 2 - Brown Alley (Cnr Londsdale & King St, City)

Enterance via King St!!

10 am - 7 am

:smt032
Last edited by Rollin on Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rock Like This in-conjunction with Darkbeat's 9th Birthday presents:

FREESTYLERS (UK)

GOOD FRIDAY 6th APRIL - BOAT PARTY!!

Check it http://www.billboardthevenue.com.au/GigView.aspx?id=417
Amick

Post by Amick »

(sorry Fents I know you've already done this but its too funny)

Matt Hoffman on the decks with his BMX? Alright!

obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I might be completely screwed in the head department, it's usually the case, but isn't this the same night as Gimme A Break? Are you guys doing downstairs? Or the Garden Room? I might be mistaken though, but good job gettin Jono back out to the public, haven't seen him for ages.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Ooops!!! Just read that entry is via King St. So you guys will be downstairs on the night. SWEEEET!!! Place will be going off. I'll shut-up now. :roll:
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Need to make something clear.

GIMME A BREAK! is at BROWN ALLEY on the 2nd!

Darkbeat is at the Colonial Hotel on the 2nd.
Last edited by Guyno on Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Is it really wise to have a progressive breaks night on at the same time as a hard breaks night in the same venue?

Do we really want to force punters to choose one over the other when both nights can be equally successful on their own accord?

In a city spoilt for musical options on any given night do you want to splinter the breaks community when we should be working together?

I'm all for what you guys are trying to achieve and give you kudos for putting together such a diverse line-up, but I am really concerned that two ends of the breakbeat spectrum are going to be in direct competition, thereby forcing me to go to one party when I would've gone to both!!
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
Fents

Post by Fents »

why cant promoters just come to an agreement, like if a punter pays to get into one party they should get into the other free and vice versa. best of both worlds.
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

:D
Last edited by Guyno on Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
breaksRbest

Re: DARKBEAT is going LIVE - Sat July 2 @ Brown Alley

Post by breaksRbest »

[edit: can't be farked starting arguments]
Last edited by breaksRbest on Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Enough negativity crew!... Far out, if you have an issue to raise - PM the person involved or start another forum... Sorry, but this is someone's promo thread IMO...
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

quote="Direktor"]Enough negativity crew!... Far out, if you have an issue to raise - PM the person involved or start another forum... Sorry, but this is someone's promo thread IMO...[/quote]

Yeah cool mate, can understand your concern.
But if people wish to air their views, and feel they have been hard done by, I see no harm in that, as long as it stays civil, and the debate is kept at an acceptable level.
This is the place to do it.

If someone throws a party in the same club, same night, same genre as one of Melb's biggest breaks nights, without any consulting beforehand - surely they must expect repercussions?
I have spoken to Banko (Rolin connection) about it, and we have come to a 'grin & bare it' conclusion.
Myself and Guyno are far from happy about it, but we've had worse challenges, and risen above, got bigger, got better. Never looked back, etc.
All the same, and I don't want to have a grudge match, but there has been a serious lack of communication b/w crews for the 2nd of July, and none of it on our part.
The Darkbeat guys have had some issues with their old venue, and apparently this party at Brown Alley is a once off thing. I can't really hold that against them, and wish them all the best at another club, another date, at events in the future.
They really should have considered the date a bit better for this party tho? And had a good talk with us beforehand.
Banko has taken the opportunity to ring me twice tho, in the last two days, and things are sorted.

No hard feelings this time, but I sincerely hope it doesn't happen again.

People need to think seriously, and consult civily with other crews to avoid this type of situation. People would get along better, and a nicer time would be had by promoters/DJ's and punters alike if they did. Also, as a result the scene would do nothing but flourish.
Thoughts?
Last edited by Little Evil on Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Miss Bee

Post by Miss Bee »

Guys...

Whatever is on there is ALWAYS going to be a clash. with SOMETHING.

I don't think there is that much harm with both these nights being on the same night. Gimme is a breaks night, and I think you will find that esp at this Darkbeat it is more of a prog party. I agree clashes suck, but they happen.

I am playing at Darkbeat (as part of Red Bee) would really love to see the MB crew there for it (Glenn, Lucas you two esp - you have been hearing me talk about doing this for long enough) I am really excitied about it, and Andi and I hope we have prepared something pretty spech for you guys.
Rollin

Post by Rollin »

Hi Guys

Not that we are in this to start a fight/ nor do we want or need
enemies… a few things need to be said.

Darkbeat IS NOT A BREAKS PARTY / NOR HAS IT EVER BEEN..

Darkbeat since day one has predominately been a 4/4 party except for
the odd special event where we may have had a few more breaks than usual..(this is where you guys may have attended.. :

Nor are we a progressive breaks party. Darkbeat has always been about
the mashup and on this particular night, as per normal we will have far
more 4/4 than breaks anyway!

We do realise that Gimme A Break is on the same night - however this
has and always will be targeted at completely different crowds. The fact that we may have a broken beat hear and there should not be suffice for your criticisms, and if you have any issues - please act like professionals
and take it up with us personally - don't air your laundry in public.
Despite what you may think, anybody who goes to Darkbeat regularly will tell you its far more 4/4 orienated than breaks (usually) - we feel we in no way should even have to respond to this!!!! but we are mates with many of you so we will :)

We have respect for all those on this board - please show the same.

FREESTYLERS (UK)

Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Fair nuff. Don't want to start a shitfest. Best of luck and have fun guys.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

kinda works well for me 'cos I get to check out both parties without having to cross town :)
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Past parties have sure read as breaks to me.
But as stated, no hard feelings this time.
We can talk about things, and sort shit out in future. That way the need for public debate will not arise at all.
Good luck with it all.
Last edited by Little Evil on Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rollin

Post by Rollin »

The past darkbeats (like when we had Drew) were breaks orientated but 8/10 parties we are 4/4 driven!!

Really you guys are judging us from our special events and not from the norm month in month out party formula we go by!

Glad this is clear - Best of luck to the Gimme guys!

FREESTYLERS (UK)

breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Miss Bee wrote:I am playing at Darkbeat (as part of Red Bee) would really love to see the MB crew there for it (Glenn, Lucas you two esp - you have been hearing me talk about doing this for long enough)
Yes indeed, the long awaited debut performance. 8)

I guess I can manage to decend the flight of stairs to come and see you guys play.

:smt023
Miss Bee

Post by Miss Bee »

YAY Glenn :D My mum will be happy your coming down he he he

new flyer...

breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Miss Bee wrote:YAY Glenn :D My mum will be happy your coming down he he he
I could post a million comments on this, but I'll leave it well alone :wink: :lol:
Scotrod

Post by Scotrod »

Darkbeat crew - you don't have to defend the style of music you play.
Beats Working has had plenty of nights at Brown Alley with similar parties in other rooms, including Darkbeat, and it's never really hurt anyone.
In fact, if I remember rightly, one of them was Fathom with a guest DJ named "Lil Evil"........ 8)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

...actually, this is looking like a perfect night to bust out all of my vocal house records in the garden room. I've been keeping my Madison Avenue records in mint condition for such an occasion.
Room 1: Darkbeat.
Room 2: Gimme A Break.
Room 3: OB's House of Shit Music.

I honestly think it'll be good for all parties involved. I questioned at first only because I thought Darkbeat was doing it at Brown Alley and I knew that Gimme was on that night. But being that DB will be downstairs and Gimme will be upstairs, it's a win/win situation for the punters. Especially if DB doesn't cost too much to get into, like Gimme.
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

All good guys, hope you have a cracking night!!

As I said previously I have much respect for what you're trying to achieve and I will certainly drop in if I have the chance.

Peace

8)
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
deviant

Post by deviant »

How much is it going to cost?
MrBuff

Post by MrBuff »

deviant wrote:How much is it going to cost?
$10 mate...

Fents...how you goin??? Full of good ideas as usual! :wink:

Cheers for the comments Scotrod...
I is buff...

Watch the keywords.
Fents

Post by Fents »

MrBuff wrote:
deviant wrote:How much is it going to cost?
$10 mate...

Fents...how you goin??? Full of good ideas as usual! :wink:

Cheers for the comments Scotrod...
Yea im good bro. Always full of good ideas mate ;) But alas this is a Breaks (4/4) thing and not DnB so i should of kept my ideas to myself.

Hope all is well with you and the crew....will def try and make it to this to see you play. BOH. 8)
DC

Post by DC »

Scotrod wrote:Darkbeat crew - you don't have to defend the style of music you play.
Fuckin' aye! Words of wisdom.
Dedicated Breakbeat Shananigans
MrBuff

Post by MrBuff »

DC wrote:
Scotrod wrote:Darkbeat crew - you don't have to defend the style of music you play.
Fuckin' aye! Words of wisdom.
Scotrod for PM! :lol: :lol:
I is buff...

Watch the keywords.
mrj

Post by mrj »

obliveus wrote:...actually, this is looking like a perfect night to bust out all of my vocal house records in the garden room. I've been keeping my Madison Avenue records in mint condition for such an occasion.
Room 1: Darkbeat.
Room 2: Gimme A Break.

I honestly think it'll be good for all parties involved. I questioned at first only because I thought Darkbeat was doing it at Brown Alley and I knew that Gimme was on that night. But being that DB will be downstairs and Gimme will be upstairs, it's a win/win situation for the punters. Especially if DB doesn't cost too much to get into, like Gimme.
I agree, its win win. I wanted to go to both and now I realise I can with amazing ease.

I think the setup is good.

Perhaps the two could join forces (Gimme me a DarkBreakBeat?) and open the bit in between ala some sunny parites.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Dean Millson

Post by Dean Millson »

i dont see the problem at all. i doubt the crowds would even have much crossover.

looking forward to a bit of Red Bee action. It's been a long time in the making.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Word Sara! I can't make it but no doubt I'll hear nothing but good things :)
MrBuff

Post by MrBuff »

It's not conventional...but it could work! ;)
I is buff...

Watch the keywords.
Rollin

Post by Rollin »

things are shaping up nicely now.. :twisted:

cant wait.

FREESTYLERS (UK)

deviant

Post by deviant »

Looking foward to this weekend... It my B'day on the Sunday (3rd) and I'm planning on going pretty hard.. Gimme and a 4/4 party with taste. I can't wait, I'm going to both.

Grey: I'll try and make it to your set even though it is at 10PM (a little early for my liking).....
Miss Bee

Post by Miss Bee »

lynt wrote:Word Sara! I can't make it but no doubt I'll hear nothing but good things :)
Thanks matey I hope so :D

Props to everyone for the support, its been wicked!
MrBuff

Post by MrBuff »

Miss Bee wrote:Props to everyone for the support, its been wicked!
Was that pun intended??? ;)
I is buff...

Watch the keywords.
Miss Bee

Post by Miss Bee »

MrBuff wrote:
Miss Bee wrote:Props to everyone for the support, its been wicked!
Was that pun intended??? ;)
No :P
MrBuff

Post by MrBuff »

^^^Didn't think so...;)
I is buff...

Watch the keywords.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Miss Bee, what time are you playing so I know when to run (or fall) down the stairs and check it out?
Rollin

Post by Rollin »

set times will be up soon... :wink:

FREESTYLERS (UK)

Rollin

Post by Rollin »

Hey, did anyone check out beat mag today??

really cool artical on RED BEE..

make sure to check it out..

page 21 of 100% i think...

FREESTYLERS (UK)

Dean Millson

Post by Dean Millson »

would that be 21% into 100%?

Glen lets catch up for a keg or something :)
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Dean Millson wrote:Glen lets catch up for a keg or something :)
MrBuff

Post by MrBuff »

Dean Millson wrote:would that be 21% into 100%?
Only if 100% was exactly 100 pages long... :roll: :wink:
I is buff...

Watch the keywords.
Miss Bee

Post by Miss Bee »

spit those set times out rollin :P
Miss Bee

Post by Miss Bee »

get on it :twisted:

10:30 - 11:30 ferris vs grey (NZ)

11:30 - 12:30 Mod-r

12:30 - 1:30 Myke Ireland

1:30 - 2:30 Red Bee (LIVE)

2:30 - 4:00 Jono Fernandez (LIVE)

4:00 - 5:00 Rollin Connection

5:00 - Close Luke Simpson VS Matt Hofman
Rollin

Post by Rollin »

big it..

so glad the weekend is here..

time now to party..

8)

FREESTYLERS (UK)

MrBuff

Post by MrBuff »

Awesome stuff Sara...Breathe and your closing track were fukin fantastic. Andi Red held his end together nicely too.

Dan, Darius, Matt...you guys were on fire...

Thanks also to Mike and our debutant Mod-R - tight mixing and good tunes...well done mate!

Also, thanks to all the punters who came down...having a sea of smiling faces still rocking at 6 AM is madness...Cheers.
I is buff...

Watch the keywords.
Miss Bee

Post by Miss Bee »

Last track was the king unique remix of redenka - waves mashed up with one of my own tracks, glad you liked it cause I wasn't sure how it would go down :D :D

Thank you so much to Dan, Darius and the DB crew for putting us on for our debut performance. And MASSIVE thankyou to everyone that came down to check out our set, dancefloor and support we had to perform to was wicked and I am so seriously stoked at how well it all went, and very happy everyone enjoyed it!!

I had a ball, music for the entire night was excellent, with Jono and the Rollin boys in particular putting in fine performances.

Our set will be available to download on the net over the next couple of weeks - will post the link when its up :)
Miss Bee

Post by Miss Bee »

PS. I just remebered kemicalsista was lovely to meet you.

PPS. Glenn, thank you so much for making the trek down the stairs to come see us play, was very happy to see you come flying onto the dancefloor.