Promoters / DJs wanted for weekly club night in Melb CBD

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
deejaypcp

Promoters / DJs wanted for weekly club night in Melb CBD

Post by deejaypcp »

Promoters and DJs wanted for established nightclub in Melbourne CBD. Great rates for all with extra incentives for good promoters.
DJs- please get in touch if you can confidently play a current a mix of house, commercial leaning club music, disco, indie dance, techno etc, and are willing to help with promotion.

Please email - [email protected] or send me a pm here for further information.

I thought I'd give you guys an early heads up regardless of whether it's the usual guff talked about here. ie. 4/4.

Thanks in advance.
PCP
kiss & tell

Re: Promoters / DJs wanted for weekly club night in Melb CBD

Post by kiss & tell »

is Terrorcore regarded as commercial leaning club music or has it become uncool again?
cammo

Post by cammo »

great wot melburn needs, more house, commercial leaning club music, disco, indie dance, techno etc
club owners with more money than sence or n idea that is new.
god i wish someone would build a club wit a great sound system n played a variety of great music apart from the above mentioned
with that much money invested you would think you would have a promoter before they open, n not ask the general public to help promote
lame
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

pretty sure this is wednesday nights at Lounge right Pete?

might be good to be upfront about what night and club you are speaking of when you post things like this.

especially as many people on this forum have worked with lounge before!
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

hey cammo... let's open a kick ass club... u know i'm serious... just do it.
L-J

Post by L-J »

Got funky?
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
cammo

Post by cammo »

EvilSnakeWoman wrote:hey cammo... let's open a kick ass club... u know i'm serious... just do it.
if i had millions to invest yes. but sadly i have not won tats yet, n nether have you
sad but true
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

No sweat Camo, I know there's been similar threads in the past, and I expected some back-lash.

However, this isn't some new place, looking for a cheap buck grab. I'm not a capitalist. Doing my job mate. These guys are well known and been open a long time, I'm pretty sure you'd a done some yards there in the past.

Ghetto, yes and no, but I'll be more specific with people who contact me.

Either way, I put it up here, as I know how experienced some of the people are here and because it's a decent legit opportunity.

Peace.
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

$ is minor issue... offers on the table. can be done. just needs scope & skillz
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

deejaypcp wrote: Ghetto, yes and no, but I'll be more specific with people who contact me.

Either way, I put it up here, as I know how experienced some of the people are here and because it's a decent legit opportunity.
Which is why you should be upfront about what you are asking for help with or nobody from here will contact you man.

try ITM for keen kids who dont know any better imho.
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

Many thanks to those who've responded so far.
For anyone else who's keen I'll be offline for about the next 24 hours or so and will respond then.

Peace
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

cammo wrote:great wot melburn needs, more house, commercial leaning club music, disco, indie dance, techno etc
god i wish someone would build a club wit a great sound system n played a variety of great music apart from the above mentioned
with that much money invested you would think you would have a promoter before they open, n not ask the general public to help promote
lame
Couldn't agree more..
However the problem is most of the underground and newer sounds don’t actually have enough people who go out to hear that particular sound. I believe lounge does push different styles of music, however the ability to do this in Melbourne in general in diminishing as unfortunately people don’t wanna hear the new stuff. Well the general populace anyway.. I for one am totally up for pushing new and diverse sounds but at the end of the day a venue has to pay bills and hence the move of most Melbourne venues to play a bit more of a generic sound.

That’s not to say this its all cheese and shit either.. Just means a compromise has been made to keep the public happy while not fully selling out and plying top 40/rnb.
There is less of a younger audience who is educated in the man diverse elements of EDM so they usually want what they know/what is pushed in their face!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Sat 8 - Lounge Boat Party
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

+ Rock Like This BOAT PARTY/ Strawberry fields / TRIBE NYD

CITIZEN.COM FREE music:-
http://soundcloud.com/citizen-com/
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

I'd say there is more demand for new ideas and sounds,after all punters want an experience when they go out...
The direction of this seams to be a little dated. Anyway best of luck hope ya find the right combination to sell ya drinks or whatever result your hoping for
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

:)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Plur...

I feel all fuzzy inside after reading this thread.

Carry on and good luck pcp!!!
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

YAY! Some positivity.

Thanks Obliveus, good to know not everyone here is jaded. :)

I'm still accepting registrations of interest, but will have to cut it off at bed time tonight methinks.

PCP.
dust

Post by dust »

I like the gentle education approach. I've recently played some of the housier dubstep at Revolver and Croft and I have to say it goes down really really well. I try and keep the sets 'general public' friendly, whilst slipping the odd Untold or Joy Orbison tune in there. Slowly but surely i hope to win a few hearts and minds. We'll see.

Totally agree with Gaffa, John you can't expect clubs to push underground sounds if heads won't go out to see it. It's just not commerically viable. Its more on our heads to convert more people to the music we love, then the clubs will support it.
kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

I still think there is still a chance Terrorcore and Splittercore will take off here in Melbourne, local heads unite!
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

dust wrote:Totally agree with Gaffa, John you can't expect clubs to push underground sounds if heads won't go out to see it. It's just not commerically viable. Its more on our heads to convert more people to the music we love, then the clubs will support it.
mmm
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

dust wrote:I like the gentle education approach. I've recently played some of the housier dubstep at Revolver and Croft and I have to say it goes down really really well. I try and keep the sets 'general public' friendly, whilst slipping the odd Untold or Joy Orbison tune in there. Slowly but surely i hope to win a few hearts and minds. We'll see.

Totally agree with Gaffa, John you can't expect clubs to push underground sounds if heads won't go out to see it. It's just not commerically viable. Its more on our heads to convert more people to the music we love, then the clubs will support it.

To be fair when I've seen people play dubstep in the front room at Revolver everyone seems to love it.
Don't hate me for house
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Also what is this "underground sounds" thing everyone seems to be so up on their high horses about of late?

I find it really funny that people love to wave their hands in the air as soon as house is mentioned like it's some sort of boogedy man.
Don't hate me for house
aroes

Post by aroes »

It's prob cause most people equate house with handbag disco vocal diva stuff or 'electro house', which alot of the time is fairly ghey

House is a feeling :teef:
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

horses for courses IMO

kids like rave, they dun like serious.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

JAMESSSS wrote:Also what is this "underground sounds" thing everyone seems to be so up on their high horses about of late?

I find it really funny that people love to wave their hands in the air as soon as house is mentioned like it's some sort of boogedy man.
i hate you for house.
cammo

Post by cammo »

fooishbar wrote:
dust wrote:Totally agree with Gaffa, John you can't expect clubs to push underground sounds if heads won't go out to see it. It's just not commerically viable. Its more on our heads to convert more people to the music we love, then the clubs will support it.
mmm
mmmm. dnb has been n underground sound of sorts, which has been successful since groove therapy days. bba holding it down still in 2010
were are all the hip hop nights? or are they not viable without top 40 rnb. last great night was mondays at laundry
reggae is a underground sound in melb and there a still a few nights around town. big up jesse n ras. wot number they up to
there are no dubstep club nights. but if you go to a too much or heavy innit night. cant say they are not successful
they are the 4 i like but there are other sounds that people would love to hear.
croft push underground flava's. hell you play at a funky night. were else could you do that
miss libs, always play variety of nights
revolver used to push all kinds of crazy music, have not been there in years so cant say now
the lounge was at the forefront back in the day. longest techno night weds, dnb thurs, soul a go go. funk fridays. purveyors on sat. now apart from a thurs break night its all "a current a mix of house, commercial leaning club music, disco, indie dance, techno"
i have nothing against any of those clubs mentioned.
only when people say its not commerically viable. i think bollocks
gaffa101 wrote:However the problem is most of the underground and newer sounds don’t actually have enough people who go out to hear that particular sound. I believe lounge does push different styles of music, however the ability to do this in Melbourne in general in diminishing as unfortunately people don’t wanna hear the new stuff. Well the general populace anyway.. I for one am totally up for pushing new and diverse sounds but at the end of the day a venue has to pay bills and hence the move of most Melbourne venues to play a bit more of a generic sound.
completely disagree. but hey who's right who's wrong. no one
youthful_implants

weekly parties like Eurotrash @ Hangtime are playing maximal/minimal/nu rave stuff

I've been there a couple of times now and its always packed on a thursday night.

Yolanda be cool who is already in the top 10 in the national pop charts had their single launch there last week for We no speak Americano.

is it commercial? hell yes. it it underground? was until it became one of the biggest tunes in the country,

whichever way you look at it, this nu breed of dirty house is absolutely huge all over again.
Strontium Music

dust

Post by dust »

cammo wrote:
fooishbar wrote:
mmm
mmmm. dnb has been n underground sound of sorts, which has been successful since groove therapy days. bba holding it down still in 2010
were are all the hip hop nights? or are they not viable without top 40 rnb. last great night was mondays at laundry
reggae is a underground sound in melb and there a still a few nights around town. big up jesse n ras. wot number they up to
there are no dubstep club nights. but if you go to a too much or heavy innit night. cant say they are not successful
they are the 4 i like but there are other sounds that people would love to hear.
croft push underground flava's. hell you play at a funky night. were else could you do that
miss libs, always play variety of nights
revolver used to push all kinds of crazy music, have not been there in years so cant say now
the lounge was at the forefront back in the day. longest techno night weds, dnb thurs, soul a go go. funk fridays. purveyors on sat. now apart from a thurs break night its all "a current a mix of house, commercial leaning club music, disco, indie dance, techno"
i have nothing against any of those clubs mentioned.
only when people say its not commerically viable. i think bollocks
All i meant was that we can't expect clubs to always support underground sounds at the expense of being profitable.

I have tried to run several different dnb regular nights and honestly, its a hard task and hard to convince clubs to support it.

I have spent years pushing underground music and trying to run nights and its made me realise that sometimes the sounds we all love aren't always supported by masses. I think the onus is on us as DJs and promoters to educate and try and be inclusive so that more people get into it so that it can then be supported by the clubs.
youthful_implants

dust wrote:
I have spent years pushing underground music and trying to run nights and its made me realise that sometimes the sounds we all love aren't always supported by masses. I think the onus is on us as DJs and promoters to educate and try and be inclusive so that more people get into it so that it can then be supported by the clubs.
yeah I totally agree.
Strontium Music

deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

god. you people sound like a bunch of such whining hobby horse djs.

I start a thread looking for some djs and promoters cos this is my job and it turns into a "ruining the scene" shit fight.
I'm sorry I can't book you all to play your glitch hop / other new genre stuff while everyone walks out the door at my club, but I've got a roof to keep over my head and a son to support.

bo - you totally diss my approach, yet we're mates aren't we?
thanks for making me look like a sheister, much appreciated

why don't all you negative high and mighty types let me know what you do for a living. I'd be really happy to come and diss that. I bet there's an element of commerce in all of them.
are any of you real artists? or just involved in some sideline making a living from those more talented?
I have every Sunday - Wednesday off. enjoy your coffees people.
L-J

Post by L-J »

:facepalm:
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

L-J wrote::facepalm:
you'd be perfect son, vocal house!
David Bass

Post by David Bass »

deejaypcp wrote:I'm sorry I can't book you all to play your glitch hop / future beats / wonky / future garage / dub tech / glitch dub / future glitch / minimal step / wobble hop / dubminwobblefuturestep
fixed it for you man, did i miss any? or did i not make up enough? help me L-J
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

David Bass wrote:
deejaypcp wrote:I'm sorry I can't book you all to play your electrobreakstep
fixed it for you man, did i miss any? or did i not make up enough? help me L-J
fixed it for you man
L-J

Post by L-J »

Not 1 mention of Future Garage Dave... I am very disappointed.

And Fo... I only play it to seduce you.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

L-J wrote:Not 1 mention of Future Garage Dave... I am very disappointed.
er, it was #4, right next to wonky :)
cammo

Post by cammo »

deejaypcp wrote:god. you people sound like a bunch of such whining hobby horse djs.

I start a thread looking for some djs and promoters cos this is my job and it turns into a "ruining the scene" shit fight.
I'm sorry I can't book you all to play your glitch hop / other new genre stuff while everyone walks out the door at my club, but I've got a roof to keep over my head and a son to support.

why don't all you negative high and mighty types let me know what you do for a living. I'd be really happy to come and diss that. I bet there's an element of commerce in all of them.
are any of you real artists? or just involved in some sideline making a living from those more talented?
sorry for going off topic. not dissing anyone or any club.
just passionate bout music. not a ego ting, id never say i run a scene
love your work pcp n top bloke to boot. hope you find the dj's n promoters you need
no more rants from me
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

deejaypcp wrote:god. you people sound like a bunch of such whining hobby horse djs.

oh dear pete. missing the point entirely.

ive got no beef- less of a 'diss' and more of one promoter to another giving advice, to possibly avoid the need for a post like yours above ^^
Last edited by ghetto kitty on Mon May 10, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrj

Post by mrj »

This thread should have been really simple. It was someone offering gigs/opportunities to people.

I think its a bloody disgrace how everyone has jumped up and down over what should have been a positive thing, and i think that peoples comments have not been in the spirit of what mb is, or at least was, about.

deejaypcp I hope this doesn't put you off posting up opportunities in the future.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Perhaps this thread should have been posted on ITM too then, couldnt see it there and there is
a) more Djs that play these genres
b) a bigger demographic of people to reach.

I dont see the problem with discussing promo methods and or the validity of different genres in clubland, we discuss this shit all the time, in other's event threads, kiddifectious dj comps etc etc
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

AUSSIE JOBS FOR AUSSIE WORKERS!!!!!
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

what are u talking about dan
L-J

Post by L-J »

fooishbar wrote:
L-J wrote:Not 1 mention of Future Garage Dave... I am very disappointed.
er, it was #4, right next to wonky :)
TBH... I can't read.
Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

cammo wrote:great wot melburn needs, more house, commercial leaning club music, disco, indie dance, techno etc
lame
We all know what Melbourne really needs:
a Weekly dubstep night. so that half a dozen, chin stroking, 30somethings can stand around frowning. That'd be a ball!
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

dust wrote:I like the gentle education approach. I've recently played some of the housier dubstep at Revolver and Croft and I have to say it goes down really really well. I try and keep the sets 'general public' friendly, whilst slipping the odd Untold or Joy Orbison tune in there. Slowly but surely i hope to win a few hearts and minds. We'll see.

BOOM!!!!!

Exactly.. I must say MRDust.. there are too few DJs with this mentality.. We do after all have a job to do, and unless SELF Employed in your wn club, you DO have to play wha yo get paid for.. If your clever about it this does not mean a comprimise in sound.. Just as dust said:-
Making sets general public friendly.

And Mr J:-
"This thread should have been really simple. It was someone offering gigs/opportunities to people.

I think its a bloody disgrace how everyone has jumped up and down over what should have been a positive thing, and i think that peoples comments have not been in the spirit of what mb is, or at least was, about.

deejaypcp I hope this doesn't put you off posting up opportunities in the future.
This thread should have been really simple. It was someone offering gigs/opportunities to people.

deejaypcp I hope this doesn't put you off posting up opportunities in the future."

I couldnt agree more.. I was dreadfully suprised to see the comments when all this is is an opportunity awaiting some one. And a bloody good opportunity too. Its a great chance to get involved into somethin that is usually VERY hard to get into. i.e the DJ scene.. Its really is not what you know but who you know.. This forum was suppose to eliminate the WHO o booking a gig, but most comments have only shown me how pretencious we all are when it comes to our own scene!!

And as for the watering don of the sound at Lounge.. I totally disagree.. We play NO TOP 40 what so ever.. And just cos Dubstep and Drum and BAss dont work here anymore dont mean w play shit music.. Reasons for previous DJs not playing here anymore is not a direct reflectionm of anything more but a change in the times and a change in the scene. After a yar or two music DOES get stale and does not work at the same venues. So changes must be made to keep the venue fresh and the clients intrested. You should all understand this, and how can you possibly hold it against the Lounge for this.. It happens everywhere, and all the time.. As DJs WE must evolve wih the scene.. NOT the other way around. Simple supply and demand..
The demand is not as great as it use to be so what we supply MUST vary!! That iof you want to get more gigs etc.. and make good money from it.
I dontsee making a career or making enough money out of doing this as selling out. Its being professional and realistic in a time of major crisis.
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Smile on Impact wrote:We all know what Melbourne really needs:
a Weekly dubstep night. so that half a dozen, chin stroking, 30somethings can stand around frowning. That'd be a ball!
er, aside from cammo, we're pretty much all mid-20s. i do frown a fair bit tho.
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

^^^^^

lols all round!!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

youthful_implants

fooishbar wrote:
Smile on Impact wrote:We all know what Melbourne really needs:
er, aside from cammo, we're pretty much all mid-20s. i do frown a fair bit tho.
its a badman ting.
Strontium Music

flippo

Post by flippo »

same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

AUSSIE JOBS FOR AUSSIE WORKERS!!!!!!!
L-J