ATG press ALI B [uk] SKOOL OF THOUGHT [uk] +more fri June 11

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
ravejet

ATG press ALI B [uk] SKOOL OF THOUGHT [uk] +more fri June 11

Post by ravejet »

Brown Alley presents: Queens Birthday Extravaganza 2

Brown Alley is proud to present an evening of diverse music on Friday June 11th featuring:

Ali B [AIR Recordings](UK)
Skool Of Thought[Against The Grain](UK)
Chris Fortier [Fade] (USA)
Dubfunk [Audio Therapy, GU](SWZ)

FEATURING ROOMS FROM :

AGAINST THE GRAIN
DARKBEAT
MIXED MESSAGES

This promises to be an innovative evening showcasing the world’s greatest exponents of quality techno, breakbeat, tech-house, progressive, minimal, electro, disco, and ambient.

Each room will cater for their specific genre over the full Brown Alley Complex, in a nut shell this will be THE night for any discerning listener of modern electronica.

FULL LINEUP:

AGAINST THE GRAIN ROOM – Presented by Rock Like This

Ali B (UK)

First Projects: "We did a Monday night at The Deco Bar in Richmond and ripped off the Mo’ Wax label artwork. We called it ‘No Tax’ ‘cos it was free. I never wanted to be a DJ as a youngster, I never even thought about it. I was an avid music collector and it was probably when I got to 16 that I thought ‘right, I’m going to be a DJ.’ I bought a deck from a car boot sale at Kingston Hospital for £4.55. This wicked, steel-based Pioneer belt-drive deck with a +3/-3 pitch control. I got this real shit ‘Made To Fade’ mixer and I’d mix to the radio because I only had one turntable. When everyone was into the rave scene I was more into acid jazz. I got my first gig at 17 at a bar in Richmond. Once you’re into that scene everyone wants you to come and DJ. I put on parties throughout my college years, boat parties and the like. We did Flavors at Ballooga’s on Finchley Road. As a student you have this mad following of 80/90 people.

One mate of ours would run the coachers up from Richmond it was a right result. He’d put on two seventy-seater coaches, hammer it down to get there for 10 and get back to Richmond at 3. We were on a right fucking winner. We did that for eight month’s. I was doing Friday’s at The Blue Note at the age of 19. I’d just finished college and heard that Acid Jazz were doing a club and I basically banged down the doors of the Blue Note when they were building it. I’d done loads of bar work and I was like ‘let me work here, give me some work.’

Labels and Production: "I’ve been doing this twisted electro shit, messing around with records like daft punk. At the moment I’m more interested in giving people something different, a new take on a track they know, than producing original material."

DJing: I used to do PR for Norman Jay. I rate him and I like to keep his open-mindedness in my thoughts when I’m DJing. He taught me a lot I suppose, probably unwittingly. I also love out of town gigs. There’s probably less choice in areas once you get out of London. And no-one wants to pay to get into a London club!" I really enjoy it. Canada is wicked, really exciting."

Fabric: "I remember being shown round by [Fabric Live Promoter] Steve Blonde when it was a building site. It was proper, we had the old hard hats on, up and down ladders, it was fucking amazing. I played the opening Thursday press night and I was asked to be a resident then. I’ve not missed many since - I love it. I’m lucky in that I get to play in all the rooms and change my sets accordingly. I’ve had 7 hour sets in that backroom which are just fucking amazing. I’ve got the utmost respect for fabric: that a club of that size and stature can consistently book such strong DJs. The club is bigger than the DJs that play there which gives you a license to do whatever the fuck you want. If you have a venue and bring in promoters every night you lose that continuity. It has real attention to detail and you get looked after brilliantly."

The Future: "I’ve had a good grounding but by no means have I arrived. There is still more to learn."

Skool Of Thought (UK)

Living between the UK and Australia, Skool Of Thought is the owner and label manager behind the award winning Against The Grain & SuperCharged Music record labels - home to the likes of the Freestylers, Krafty Kuts, Splitloop, Ed Solo and of course Skool Of Thought. He is the guy responsible for the enormous Groove Armada 'Superstylin' and Freestylers v Pendulum 'Painkiller' breaks remixes. He has appeared on the front cover of 3D magazine in Australia, described by IDJ magazine as 'an underrated genius' and recognized by DJ magazine as helping form the 'nu skool breaks' scene. He has produced countless breakbeat monsters over the years including Heavyweight Breaks Volumes 1 & 3, Breakspoll 3, numerous 12" singles and is currently celebrating the success of his debut artist album with Ed Solo entitled 'Random Acts Of Kindness'. To top it all off he has just launched a third label called 'Cool & Deadly' with Tayo. Phew! Time to take a lesson from Skool...

DARKBEAT ROOM

Chris Fortier (USA)

While many people may claim to know Chris’ sound, with their focus on continually labeling him one thing or another, Chris is equally as focused on his efforts to push back the musical boundaries. It is testament to the man that he continues to develop his sound and musical direction, after all, as the man says himself “I just like to play good underground music, I don’t limit myself.”

It is artists such as Chris Fortier who are inextricably linked to the underground dance music scene that are the genuinely pushing the sound forward. Chris’ determination to continue to push the envelope can be seen in all aspects of his career. Proof of this can be found on his recent triple CD compilation Balance and his recent solo production under the 40oz moniker and his stellar debut artist album As Long As The Moment Exits.

The Balance CD genuinely offers something exciting and underground to the current stale compilation market. Boasting tracks from across the musical spectrum like David Gilmore Girls, Global Communication and Floppy Sounds through to Slam, Matthew Jonson, Rabbit in the Moon and Bent. It is little wonder the CD was name checked for compilation of the year by numerous international press publications.

Under his 40oz production guise Chris has released the several EPs that musically could fit comfortably on labels such as Cocoon, Kompakt or Get Physical. Further remixes of Alexi Delano, Joshua Collins, Lee Burridge, Freaky Chakra and John Selway show Chris’ genre defying sound at it’s underground best. Taking this a step further in 2007, his debut artist album was released to countless plaudits and impeccable praise. Not satisfied with status quo, look for the boundaries to continue to be pressed and pushed with each coming musical excursion.

With a DJ career spanning 15 plus years, he has continually been a crowd favourite, confirmed by his very first residency at the legendary “Aahz” in Orlando through to more recent residencies at The Cross in London and at Twilo in New York. Since a debut European tour in 1997, Chris has gone on to consistently tour the globe behind numerous singles, remixes and no less than 9 mix albums. You can catch him as easily in Tokyo as in Buenos Aires and all points in between on any given weekend.

To those that know Fortier’s history, they know to expect plenty more to come, for those that are just getting initiated, Welcome!

Dubfunk (SWZ)

Dubfunk is a growing DJ / producer taking further solid steps in his musical experiment. His developing artistic maturity is bringing a groove blending different genres known for their simplicity and tweaked structures: techy minimal beats with an underlying progressive theme.

Dubfunk has always been a fellow follower of music. As a teen he had already reached a revelation for music thanks to many great artists such as Led Zeppelin, The Doors or Nina Simone only to mention a few. As he took on a music engineer career, he spent eight years developing music’s technical side. During this time he discovered Electronic Dance Music, finding a true passionate calling whilst listening to Northern Exposure and Global Underground compiles. This forged his interest in learning the techniques of djing and producing, seemingly the best way to create a fusion of many different musical cultures.
2002 kicked in with his first professional experiences as a DJ; he started playing in his co-owned venue in Cairo to later become a resident of Sharm El Sheikh’s Pacha where he caught attention from big named artists. Thanks to this recognition, in 2005 he decided to move to Switzerland and set up his proper studio. He concentrated on starting a new self experiment in producing his own musical elements.

The following two years gratified this personal investment by gigs in Europe, South America and Egypt; giving him the reputation of a solid dj. Both South American tours in 2006 and 2007 were a genuine experience for him, as it provided a great source of influence and inspiration for his music – aiming him to deliver his own sounds rathar then exterior releases.

This led to the beginning of a producing frenzy; Dubfunk started his own label “Dyami and got his third track “Cruel” released on Mashtronics Records. As his productions hit charts and received support from major artists such as…. Hernan Cattaneo, Laurant Granier, John Aquaviva among others, it is no coincidence that he is now a prominent figure of Global Underground. GU has trusted him with the elaboration of 4 compiled Cd’s and has effectively given him a strong turning point in his career as his original productions and remixes reached n°1 charts.

If asked about his experience so far, he comments; “The releases I produce are never planned or written down, everything depends on my mood, feelings and own experiences. I just truly enjoy sitting in my studio and flowing with music for hours and as a result producing intimate tracks to appeal my constant obsession over music.”

Support:

PQM (Hip Hop Set), Phil K, Rollin Connection, Ozzie La, Dave Juric, Lister, Alam, Jon Beta, Harley Augustine, Freya vs Mish, MJ, Professor Darkness, Nick Thayer, Citizen.com, Deviant Shifty Sly, JD, Flip, Protien Shake DJ’s, Abstar, Miss Max, Yenks, Dstract, Llupa, Snowie, , Nikki Sig.

Tickets:

$15 + BF EARLY BIRDS online available here
http://brownalley.qjump.com.au/event/62 ... avaganza-2

(Limited to 100 Tickets Only)

Brown Alley
Cnr King & Lonsdale St, City
armydawg1292 listen MR. I Play halo and i know what a good explosion looks like and that was expert!
Lil MiSbreaks

Re: ATG press ALI B [uk] SKOOL OF THOUGHT [uk] +more fri Jun

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Funny, I was just thinking last night that Ali B was about the only person I dug from a while ago that I hadnt seen as yet. And there here this is.

Wicked 8)
Last edited by Lil MiSbreaks on Fri May 21, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ravejet

Post by ravejet »

We spent a while working out which artists we hadn't seen in a while and he happened to be one of them!!
One of many!! Look out!!

Edit: (Friday was a LONG day :S )

I poorly forgot to mention that MJ (100%phat) has been working for god knows how long to make this happen and it's all finally come together!
armydawg1292 listen MR. I Play halo and i know what a good explosion looks like and that was expert!
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

this should be a great multi-genre party
its great to hear people are working to get less regular touring artists out here
and so cheap.

had a listen to the latest dubfunk promo mix the other day and its a very nice blissed out mnml selection. <3 me some spektre
http://soundcloud.com/dubfunk/dubfunk-j ... x/download
deviant

Post by deviant »

I haven't seen Ali-B since 2006 (I think)... with Lee Coombs at Honky Tonks.. (I'm pretty sure that's the night I was physically dragged out of the venue because I wouldn't "skull" my beer after they closed :roll: )
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Was it Honkys?? I thought he hadnt been here for ages but then remembered the Air t-shirt that I was given, hahaha that wasnt from my nana thats for sure. Thought it might have been Revolver...... Heard any of his mixes lately? Be keen to see what he was doing now :D
deviant

Post by deviant »

apparently he has a pretty successful pod-cast
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Cool, have to check it out
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

YEah Ali B and AIR recordings have been doing some great stuff lately.. HAve you checked out DIVWERTEDS new album.. Pretty amaizing new breaks!! And thats kinda the general vibe of where AIR is going..

Nice crisp new production.

Check out some of this sets for FEB this year (2010)

http://crispybeats.com/ali-b-oh-shit-pa ... -download/

Cannot wait for this one!!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Sat 8 - Lounge Boat Party
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

+ Rock Like This BOAT PARTY/ Strawberry fields / TRIBE NYD

CITIZEN.COM FREE music:-
http://soundcloud.com/citizen-com/
MJ

Post by MJ »

deviant wrote:I haven't seen Ali-B since 2006 (I think)... with Lee Coombs at Honky Tonks.. (I'm pretty sure that's the night I was physically dragged out of the venue because I wouldn't "skull" my beer after they closed :roll: )
Haha.. I remember that night...

Ali's podcast and new mixes are mostly nufunk shizzle, but he can still throw down some tasty breaks sets (and funk sets, jazz sets, etc etc)... The man is versatile to say the least...

Cant wait for this night anyway... And someone was dumb enough to put me on the lineup! FIrst 45 mins the venue is open for the win!
FliP

Post by FliP »

Ali B is the man.. weather you like this nufunk bizzo or not (im not the biggest fan of all of it, good kickback music though) he's the air label manager and he knows how to work a floor.
seen him do so a few times ..!

check some of his recent free mix cd giveaways :D

This one's from Feb 2010

download<

1. Walk On The Wild Side – Lou Reed
2. Don Dada Vs Can I Kick It? – Super Cat
3. The Joker (DJ Czech Edit) – Steve Miller Band
4. Get Rhythm (Breaks Mix) – Johnny Cash
5. Mustang Sally (Greg J Edit) – Wilson Pickett
6. Damn Girl – Justin Timberlake
7. Whoah! – Featurecast
8. Jungle Boogie (Nick Thayer Edit) Kool & The Gang
9. For Once In My LIfe (Breaks Mix) – Stevie Wonder
10. Why Did You Do It (Different Strokes Edit) – Stretch
11. Papa Was A Rolling Stone (Cosmo Baker Edit) – The Temptations
12. Hang On Sloopy (Mat The Alien Edit) – The McCoys
13. Tequila Flavoured Lip Gloss (Smalltown DJs Edit) – Lil’ Mama Vs The Champs
14. Crazy In Kingston – Beat Conductor
15. All Good (Aldo Vanucci Edit) – De La Soul Ft Chaka Khan
16. Shimmy Shimmy Ya – Prince Fatty
17. A Message To You Rudy (Fort Knox Five Edit) – The Specials
18. Toxic (Paul Nice Remix) – Mark Ronson
19. Start Your Feet Like Dis – Basement Freaks
20. I Just Wanna Whole Lotta Love (DiscoTech Edit) – Jay Z Vs Led Zepplin
21. Jack And Diane (DJ Danny Diggz Edit) – John Cougar Mellancamp
22. Blues Banger – Audited Beats
23. I Got A Woman (Bad Boy Crew Edit) – Jamie Foxx
24. What I Got (DJ Danny Diggz Edit) – Sublime
25. Iko Iko (U-Tern Edit) – The Dixie Cups
26. I Want You Back (DJ Spinna Edit) – Jackson 5
27. Lovely Day (DJ Eleven Edit) - Bill Withers
28. Wide Awake In A Dream – Vicki Anderson
29. Somewhere Over The Rainbow – Israel Kamakawiwo’ole

this one's from dec 09

download<

1. House Party – Fred Wesley
2. I Don’t Know If I Can Make It – Dawson Smith
3. Air Drums – Boca 45
4. One Bad Apple (U-Tern’s Bucket Mix) – The Osmonds
5. Just – Mark Ronson
6. Nieve – Aldo Vanucci
7. Mr Sandman (Squeak E Clean Edit) – The Chordettes
8. Respect (Russ Cuban Edit) – KW Griff
9. Bootleggin’ (Fuzzbox Edit) – Simtec & Wylie
10. I Believe In Miracles (Fort Knox Five Edit) – Jackson Sisters
11. Glad I Knew Better (Fort Knox Five Edit) – Howard Tate
12. Positivity (Mark Ronson’s ’68 Mix) – Stevie Wonder
13. Shake Ya Ass – Street Punx
14. Prominxs Girl – Victor Menegaux
15. Crab Cats (Disoriental Mix) – The Cure Vs K-OS
16. Moving On – Unknown Artist
17. I Got It Like That (Fort Knox Five Edit) – Pharrell Williams
18. ABC (A-Skillz Edit) – Jackson 5
19. For What It’s Worth (Fort Knox Five Edit) – Buffalo Springfield
20. Ring Of Fire (Team Canada Edit) – Johnny Cash
21. My Doorbell (Alex Rage Edit) – White Stripes
22. U2 – Bloody Sunday
23. Beats In The Wall – John Farruggio
24. Lady Don’t Tek No – Latryx
25. Doo Wop [That Thing] (Fort Knox Five Edit) – Lauryn Hill
26. Juicy Fruit – MTUME
27. My Girl (DJ Solarz Edit) – The Temptations
28. One Step Ahead (Featurecast Edit) – Aretha Franklin
29. Piece Of My Heart (Greg J Edit) – Etta James
30. California Soul (Diplo Edit) – Marlena Shaw
31. Summer Madness – Kool & The Gang

:D
FliP

Post by FliP »

btw.. when earlybirds run out, hit up djs/promoters for cheap tickets..

$25ea or 2 for $40..

PM me if your keen.. city pickup :)
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

^^ Excellent, thanks Sir Flips a Lot, fucking loving this so far. :smt007
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

2 tickets fo $40 is pretty crazy!! And if this is anything like th last Queens Birthday extravagansa at Brown Alley then fucking bargin!!!

Hit up your local DJs for the deal!!!!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

FliP

Post by FliP »

more funky beats from ali B.. he has his own weekly podcast or 'airpod'

check them all out here

here's the lastest one..

01. Start Your Feet Like Dis – Basement Freeks
02. Whole Lotta Of Love (Discotech Edit) – Led Zeplin Vs Jay Z
03. Faith (Unknown Edit) – George Michael
04. Beats In The Wall – John Farruggio
05. Lady Don’t Tek No – Latryx
06. Doo Wop [That Thang] (Fort Knox 5 Edit) – Lauryn Hill
07. My Girl (DJ Solarj Edit) – The Temptations
08. When The Man Comes Around (DJ Eleven Edit) – Johnny Cash
09. Get It On The Floor – Featurecast
10. Let Me Tell You Something – Audited Beats
11. Take You Back – Breakbeat Junkie & DJ P
12. Like It Or Not – Juke
13. The Fk Strutt (QDUP Foundation Remix) – Fort Knox Five
14. Gemini (Palooski Edit) – Del Shannon

:D
FliP

Post by FliP »

deviant

Post by deviant »

wow, less than 2 weeks away... I feel drunk already :mrgreen:
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

NEW sampler mix from SKOOL OF THOUGHT!!

Get into it.. Massive sampler off the new NATURAL SELECTION album.

http://www.againstthegrainrecords.com/n ... ction.html
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

FliP

Post by FliP »

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

funky desert disco shit :)
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

^^^ LOVE IT!!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

missmax

Post by missmax »

Man this month has flown!! This Friday already WHOOOOT!! Looking forward to the mixed crew of peeps and music and kicking off the long weekend in style :joy:
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

yep! ill be celebrating the end of uni for the semester. last time that happened at myagi/leecoombs i got extreeeemely smashed...
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

You....Never...
Its gotta be the way this weekend. Its the Queens Birthday after all.
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Wow.
deviant

Post by deviant »

just to say I did yanno

*****THE QUEEN******

:joy:
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

I think she'd be thrilled you did all this in honour of her. Lovely old lady.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Rollin

Post by Rollin »

Bligths Bar:
10:00 - 11:30: Harley Augustine
11:30 - 2:30: Dubfunk (EGY)
2:30 - 6:00: Chris Fortier (USA)
6:00 - 7:00: Freya vs Mish
7:00 - Close: Rollin Connection

Garden Bar
10:00 - 11:00: Shifty Sly vs JD
11:00 - 12:00: Flip
12:00 - 2:00: Skool Of Thought (UK)
2:00 - 3:00: Citizen.com
3:00 - 5:00: Ali B (UK)
5:00 - 6:00: Abstar vs Miss Max
6:00 - 7:00: Deviant

Foyer
10:00 - 11:00: Protien Shake
11:00 - 12:00: Yenks vs Dstract
12:00 - 1:00: Llupa vs Snowie
1:00 - 2:00: Dave Juric vs Phil Moore
2:00 - Close: Lister vs Jon Beta
Rock Like This in-conjunction with Darkbeat's 9th Birthday presents:

FREESTYLERS (UK)

GOOD FRIDAY 6th APRIL - BOAT PARTY!!

Check it http://www.billboardthevenue.com.au/GigView.aspx?id=417
Shifty-Sly

Post by Shifty-Sly »

Finished by 11 and loose as fuck by 12 me thinks lol
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

Shifty-Sly wrote:Finished by 11 and loose as fuck by 12 me thinks lol
same here mate.
gonna be messy
Ben123

Post by Ben123 »

Garden Bar for Ali B, does this mean we'll freeze? Haven't been to BA for years!!!!!!

Also, coat check at BA??
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

deviant wrote:just to say I did yanno

*****THE QUEEN******

:joy:

Only you Deviant..

(Id do it for the street cred too).

:3some:
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

FliP

Post by FliP »

Ben123 wrote:Garden Bar for Ali B, does this mean we'll freeze? Haven't been to BA for years!!!!!!

Also, coat check at BA??
i think there'll be enough people dancing and smoke in there to keep you warm.. :3some:
the cloaks normally in that room too..

mega pumped up.. got some new gems for the night :)
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

Indeed.. Its ganna be one hel of a FUNKY night tonight in the Garden bar.. Even Skool of Thought is bringing the PARTY tunes!!!
(not that he dont smash it anyways!!!)
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

partypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartyparty
partypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartyparty
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Have fun y'all!
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

Was one tidy night in the Garden Bar..
SKOOL of tHought ROCKED it!!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

ravejet

Post by ravejet »

Honesty isnt always the best policy is it? :p