the news thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
apophenian

Re: the news thread

Post by apophenian »

Destiny.
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

GO CATS! GO CATS!
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
deviant

Post by deviant »

fucking LOL

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bulle ... utostart=1

I was thinking "surely we would have heard about an assasination attempt on the premier at the time it happened"???

busted :lol:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 5942963659

dunno how i feel about this, but what i do know is no way would i put another child anywhere near this guy. And his new wife has a 12 year old girl
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

GO CATS! GO CATS!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/julius ... 5952326814

not sure how they can say this was not a racist attack when they called it "punji hunting", who are they trying to kid?
click here fo fotos
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Lizkins wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/julius ... 5952326814

not sure how they can say this was not a racist attack when they called it "punji hunting", who are they trying to kid?
They should just gas them and we can get on with our lives. Fucking rodents.
mrj

Post by mrj »

Sociopathic wrote:This one really irked me which I read at work today/another school to put on the list of places i will not fucking send my children
i agree that the school is in the wrong here, but the amount of media attention focussed on this event is silly.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

mrj wrote:
Sociopathic wrote:This one really irked me which I read at work today/another school to put on the list of places i will not fucking send my children
i agree that the school is in the wrong here, but the amount of media attention focussed on this event is silly.
I thought this at first too, but after thinking about, the more attention I think it needs. It's not the actual event itself, but the fact that this sort of crap still exists in 2010.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

agree

after working for a lesbian, who everyone knew was one, but refused to come out because being in law is def still a mans world, and having a wife and 2.5 kids is standard, i found to be totally ridiculous. This sort of attitude is just preventing progress and lets those who are happy to keep it under wraps think its still acceptable to have that opinion that being gay is wrong.
click here fo fotos
mrj

Post by mrj »

yes but we have to keep in mind the context here. the disadvantage being suffered here is that they can't attend a school formal. dissapointing yes, and it reflects poorly on the school, but they'll get over it. it hardly deserves a full page spread in the age (altho the tabloid nature of the age recently means I'm not suprised by this).

same sex couples face much larger challenges in this country that recieve far less media attention, I reckon the situation needs a bit of a reality check.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

i get that, but any attention being drawn to the issue is good. This is something on a lower scale that many individuals could attempt to relate too or at least bother to read. Big scale issues can be too overwhelming for some, and they just don't read the article or look into the issue
click here fo fotos
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

huge
old boy

Post by huge »

awesome
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
deviant

Post by deviant »

mrj wrote:yes but we have to keep in mind the context here. the disadvantage being suffered here is that they can't attend a school formal. dissapointing yes, and it reflects poorly on the school, but they'll get over it. it hardly deserves a full page spread in the age (altho the tabloid nature of the age recently means I'm not suprised by this).

same sex couples face much larger challenges in this country that recieve far less media attention, I reckon the situation needs a bit of a reality check.
yeah, like this
http://www.theage.com.au/national/big-p ... 17sp8.html

I can't believe it's even up for debate still... just legislate it and be done already.

:roll:
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

kronz

Post by kronz »

Very important article people. Get on it!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/phar- ... 17zbc.html
GO CATS! GO CATS!
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
retzie

Post by retzie »

Lol, American :lol:

Sorry for the giant cut/paste - won't be able to see the article online unless you're a member.
NY Times wrote:European Import Has Cars Spinning. Heads, Too.

Traffic is going in circles. Armed with mounting data showing that roundabouts are safer, cheaper to maintain and friendlier to the environment, transportation experts around the country are persuading communities to replace traditional intersections with them.

There’s just one problem: Americans don’t know how to navigate them.

“There’s a lot of what I call irrational opposition,” said Eugene R. Russell Sr., a civil engineering professor at Kansas State University and chairman of a national task force on roundabouts, sounding mildly exasperated in a telephone interview. “People don’t understand. They just don’t understand roundabouts.”

But many are being forced to learn, 25 years after Clark Griswold captured the public’s unease with roundabouts in “European Vacation,” spending a full day circumnavigating London’s famous Lambeth Bridge roundabout — “There’s Big Ben, kids! Parliament!” — unable to escape its inner lane.

The Department of Transportation does not keep statistics on roundabouts, but experts agree that they are proliferating rapidly. They point to Wisconsin, which has built about 100 roundabouts since 2004, and plans to build 52 more in the 2011 construction season alone. Maryland is closing in on 200. Kansas has nearly 100.

All told, there are about 2,000 roundabouts in this country, most built in the last decade, according to Edward Myers, a senior principal at Kittelson & Associates, a transportation engineering and planning firm.

That does not mean they are usually well received.

For instance, residents of Quentin, Pa., near Harrisburg, were distraught to learn last month that a stoplight intersection in town might be turned into a roundabout.

“I just foresee a lot of accidents,” said John Horstick, 61, who owns the Quentin Haus, a nearby restaurant. A petition circulated at the restaurant garnered hundreds of signatures in a matter of days.

Kitty Schaeffer, 81, said she was worried about large trucks navigating the circle. “Let’s just have a light there, and when the light changes, you just go,” she said.

Public opposition could squelch the proposal.

Rodney Gernert, 39, was not persuaded by the success of roundabouts in countries like France, which has more than 30,000.

“Just because something works in one culture, doesn’t mean it’s going to work in another culture,” said Mr. Gernert, who teaches about world cultures at nearby Cedar Crest High School. “In our country, we don’t hang animals in our storefronts like other cultures. Food is different. Transportation, patience, people, their temperaments, are different from country to country.”

Modern roundabouts are ring-shaped intersections through which traffic flows in a counterclockwise pattern. Cars entering a roundabout must yield to those already inside.

They first appeared in the United States in the early 1990s, according to engineers, who emphasize that roundabouts are not the same as traffic circles or rotaries, like Columbus Circle in New York or Dupont Circle in Washington. Traffic circles usually operate at higher speeds, and some have traffic signals within their rings.

The many traffic circles in New Jersey seem to have tainted perceptions of roundabouts for millions of Americans east of the Mississippi River.

“People say, ‘Hey, you ought to drive in some of those terrible monstrosities in New Jersey before you build them here,’ ” said Mr. Russell, of the roundabout task force. “Now, I don’t disagree that they are monstrosities. But they also aren’t roundabouts.”

Roundabouts are deemed safer than traditional intersections because their design precludes most high-risk situations. “You virtually eliminate right-angle crashes and head-on collisions, and the collisions that do occur tend to be much less severe,” said Anne McCartt, a senior vice president for research at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Numerous studies have also found that replacing lights and stop signs with roundabouts can reduce harmful emissions by more than 30 percent because there is less starting and stopping.

Despite these benefits, a circuitous pattern still seems to emerge whenever a community is faced with the specter of a roundabout. Fear and suspicion are manifested in petitions and tense town meetings — and over time they generally mellow into something resembling approval, acceptance or, just as desirable in the world of transportation engineering, apathy.

Three years ago, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety published a study titled “Long-Term Trends in Public Opinion Following Construction of Roundabouts.” After interviewing 1,802 drivers in six communities, the researchers reported that, on average, only 34 percent had supported roundabouts in their communities before construction. But shortly after the roundabouts were in place, the number rose to 57 percent. After a year or more, the number increased to 69 percent.

In September 2009, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation started from the beginning with plans for a roundabout in Mosinee. The agency held a public information meeting to discuss the possibility of installing one near the bridge that serves as the primary artery into the town’s commercial district.

The response from the residents was tepid. Many residents, particularly older ones, were perturbed by the change.

“People gossiped, they speculated, they complained — ‘Why do we need it? This is ridiculous!’ ” said Michelle Ringhoffer, 41, the owner of a nearby bookstore. “But once it was in, they said, ‘Oh, that wasn’t so bad.’ ”
The roundabout opened last month, with only a few hiccups.

“People were constantly stopping, and the people that weren’t supposed to stop were trying to wave you in,” Ms. Ringhoffer said.

Other drivers kept traffic flowing, but not always in the right direction.
“The other day I saw someone going the wrong way in it,” said Steven Grim, 56, a longtime resident. “The wife and I looked at each other like, ‘Oh, that’s interesting.’ ”■
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
almax

Post by almax »

yeah mate, all over it as soon as it happened pretty much, in other related sad news, a 28 yo kitesurfer from Sydney died in hospital on Sat after kiting in St Kilda.
Another kiter found him facedown in the water on Friday still attached to his kite being dragged into shore, he applied CPR and after 30 mins he was revived only to die the next night.
Autopsy said it was from a heart attack though, which is a bit weird for a fit 28 yo, must have done a big boost and shat himself.
RIP
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

hayfever has gone critical

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/condi ... 1888c.html

my mate almost landed in hospital last night, but got through the night and this morning went to the doctors and got an injection and a huge amount of rhinocort and told to go to the hospital immediately if it happens again, crazy!
click here fo fotos
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Lizkins wrote:hayfever has gone critical

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/condi ... 1888c.html

my mate almost landed in hospital last night, but got through the night and this morning went to the doctors and got an injection and a huge amount of rhinocort and told to go to the hospital immediately if it happens again, crazy!
I've been having issues with asthma lately I keep one puffer in my bag and another next to my bed. Thank christ, cause I don't think I would have even been able to get the words "puffer, handbag, get" to Scott last night the way I was when I woke up. Have never had anything like that before. Was quite scared and been left feeling like shit all of today because of it.

Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

yeah its pretty full on. I get it badly but i take rhinocort and that works a treat. The doctor even recommended rhinocort to my mate and made her buy a heap of it. must be good stuff.

a dude in my team had a week off work due to hayfever, its mental!
click here fo fotos
deviant

Post by deviant »

yep, I can say this is the WORST year in about 15 years for me.... almost unbearable. I have prescription rhinocort AQ... which works, but it's weird, I still feel a bit itchy and irritated, just not "full blown" I guess. My eyes have been fucked. Got onto these badboys though...

single use eye drops... great, except you look like a junky carrying them 'round. :lol:
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

Is anyone keeping in the loop about the Korea's?
youthful_implants

Kevin Rudd said today he would offer South Korea support in the event of war breaking out between the two sides.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian- ... 18cco.html

North Korea would inevitably lose if they were foolish enough to ignore UN warnings and offers of diplomatic resolution IMO but you have got to feel for the brainwashed and futureless people living under that regime if that happens.
Strontium Music

youthful_implants

oh and this article from earlier in the year about how conflict between the two sides and their allies could play out is quite interesting.

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/wh ... s/19491485
Strontium Music

retzie

Post by retzie »

deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

Baby Seal

Post by Baby Seal »

Feigan

Post by Feigan »

deviant

Post by deviant »

fucking lol...
mrj

Post by mrj »

youthful_implants

Strontium Music

Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

ok we all know whats going on in QLD but this I thought was interesting

Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

what is it? can't make out the pic. looks like a frog riding a whale lol
click here fo fotos
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

it's shrek riding nessy
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Feigan wrote:http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/bo ... 5976731223

Damn.

Big lass eats two Turkeys!

Fat fuck. What an utter retard.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Shoot her and use her for research on how not to live.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

After polishing off her enormous main course, she still had room for dessert and ate a "salad" made of marshmallow, cream cheese, whipped cream and cookies.
jeebus. agree guys.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

people pay to watch her eat! wtf???? sooo fricken off
click here fo fotos