US Election - Nov 4, 2008

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
youthful_implants

Re: US Election - Nov 4, 2008

Post by youthful_implants »

EPIC WIN TBH! :teef:

338 - 127
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

youthful_implants wrote:EPIC WIN TBH! :teef:

338 - 127

needs more whoooot
mrj

Post by mrj »

awesome. and the world breathes a sigh of relief.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

you felt that too MRJ. I think that may have actually happened, like a massive energy shift.
gnat

Post by gnat »

great news. biggest grin ever on obama's dial

and every sane yank also
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Zerotonine

Post by Zerotonine »

Happy Happy.
Allons-y!
almax

Post by almax »

http://www.ahoffman.com/humor/images/Redneck.jpg

"Gawd Dang Rosie, see now, Iz told ya'll to vote, now look what you dang went an let that
dang wide nose, breathing up all the white mans air Osama win!"
Stray

Post by Stray »

oh lols.. now where did I put that picture of almax...
almax

Post by almax »

oh ow, im calling your boss to give you some more work
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

good speach tbh
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Just went up the road to do some shopping and the cd changer in the car selected a tune for me:

Chocolate City - Parliament

brought the lolz
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

One wonders who he owes favours to for the some 300 million he got in donations for the election campaign.
elysium

Post by elysium »

DBoy wrote:you felt that too MRJ. I think that may have actually happened, like a massive energy shift.
:scr1pt:
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

DBoy wrote:One wonders who he owes favours to for the some 300 million he got in donations for the election campaign.
It'll come out in the wash. Nature of the beast though isn't it?
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

DBoy wrote:One wonders who he owes favours to for the some 300 million he got in donations for the election campaign.
299 of it prolly came from Oprah
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
almax

Post by almax »

think he raised more like $650 million from what i heard, the election raised over $1 billion i know that much
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Good god I don't normally follow politics, but the office today was just abuzz and all the telly's on our floor were locked onto the elections, it was intense WTF! But good on him, now let's see America change......? Time will tell.....
Stray

Post by Stray »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032553

click on data explorer tab and then fund raising summary
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Wow, so there's a new President of Australia, yeah?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

apophenian wrote:Wow, so there's a new President of Australia, yeah?
for some reason, downer decided to show his idiot face on tv to say that now everyone was fucked because obama wasn't as australia-centric as bush. but he did also say that it sucked because he wasn't as asia-focussed, so clearly it's not to be taken seriously. sigh tbh.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

I wonder if DMX knows who he is yet
nic

Post by nic »

nic

Post by nic »

further to that
gay scandal rocks animated gif i accidentally the whole

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

lol nic.

i hunted on youtube last night and cant find his acceptance speech...

missed it yesterday..

any ideas webmasters?
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I posted the wrong one....

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

it's still images with audio though
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i did glen.

i found a myriad of segments and many speeches but not one from yesterday.

the one you posted is from end of august? i watched that one and others.
Stray

Post by Stray »

Sen. Barack Obama's acceptance speech in Chicago, Ill.

If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.

It's the answer told by lines that stretched around schools and churches in numbers this nation has never seen; by people who waited three hours and four hours, many for the very first time in their lives, because they believed that this time must be different; that their voice could be that difference.

It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Latino, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been a collection of Red States and Blue States: we are, and always will be, the United States of America.

It's the answer that led those who have been told for so long by so many to be cynical, and fearful, and doubtful of what we can achieve to put their hands on the arc of history and bend it once more toward the hope of a better day.

It's been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America.

I just received a very gracious call from Senator McCain. He fought long and hard in this campaign, and he's fought even longer and harder for the country he loves. He has endured sacrifices for America that most of us cannot begin to imagine, and we are better off for the service rendered by this brave and selfless leader. I congratulate him and Governor Palin for all they have achieved, and I look forward to working with them to renew this nation's promise in the months ahead.

I want to thank my partner in this journey, a man who campaigned from his heart and spoke for the men and women he grew up with on the streets of Scranton and rode with on that train home to Delaware, the Vice President-elect of the United States, Joe Biden.

I would not be standing here tonight without the unyielding support of my best friend for the last 16 years, the rock of our family and the love of my life, our nation's next First Lady, Michelle Obama. Sasha and Malia, I love you both so much, and you have earned the new puppy that's coming with us to the White House. And while she's no longer with us, I know my grandmother is watching, along with the family that made me who I am. I miss them tonight, and know that my debt to them is beyond measure.

To my campaign manager David Plouffe, my chief strategist David Axelrod, and the best campaign team ever assembled in the history of politics, you made this happen, and I am forever grateful for what you've sacrificed to get it done.

But above all, I will never forget who this victory truly belongs to, it belongs to you.

I was never the likeliest candidate for this office. We didn't start with much money or many endorsements. Our campaign was not hatched in the halls of Washington, it began in the backyards of Des Moines and the living rooms of Concord and the front porches of Charleston.

It was built by working men and women who dug into what little savings they had to give five dollars and ten dollars and twenty dollars to this cause. It grew strength from the young people who rejected the myth of their generation's apathy; who left their homes and their families for jobs that offered little pay and less sleep; from the not-so-young people who braved the bitter cold and scorching heat to knock on the doors of perfect strangers; from the millions of Americans who volunteered, and organized, and proved that more than two centuries later, a government of the people, by the people and for the people has not perished from this Earth. This is your victory.

I know you didn't do this just to win an election and I know you didn't do it for me. You did it because you understand the enormity of the task that lies ahead. For even as we celebrate tonight, we know the challenges that tomorrow will bring are the greatest of our lifetime, two wars, a planet in peril, the worst financial crisis in a century. Even as we stand here tonight, we know there are brave Americans waking up in the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan to risk their lives for us. There are mothers and fathers who will lie awake after their children fall asleep and wonder how they'll make the mortgage, or pay their doctor's bills, or save enough for college. There is new energy to harness and new jobs to be created; new schools to build and threats to meet and alliances to repair.

The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America, I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you, we as a people will get there.

There will be setbacks and false starts. There are many who won't agree with every decision or policy I make as President, and we know that government can't solve every problem. But I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree. And above all, I will ask you join in the work of remaking this nation the only way it's been done in America for two-hundred and twenty-one years, block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand.

What began twenty-one months ago in the depths of winter must not end on this autumn night. This victory alone is not the change we seek; it is only the chance for us to make that change. And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were. It cannot happen without you.

So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism; of service and responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves, but each other. Let us remember that if this financial crisis taught us anything, it's that we cannot have a thriving Wall Street while Main Street suffers, in this country, we rise or fall as one nation; as one people.

Let us resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long. Let us remember that it was a man from this state who first carried the banner of the Republican Party to the White House, a party founded on the values of self-reliance, individual liberty, and national unity. Those are values we all share, and while the Democratic Party has won a great victory tonight, we do so with a measure of humility and determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress. As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, "We are not enemies, but friends, though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection." And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn; I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too.

And to all those watching tonight from beyond our shores, from parliaments and palaces to those who are huddled around radios in the forgotten corners of our world, our stories are singular, but our destiny is shared, and a new dawn of American leadership is at hand. To those who would tear this world down, we will defeat you. To those who seek peace and security, we support you. And to all those who have wondered if America's beacon still burns as bright, tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from our the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity, and unyielding hope.

For that is the true genius of America, that America can change. Our union can be perfected. And what we have already achieved gives us hope for what we can and must achieve tomorrow.

This election had many firsts and many stories that will be told for generations. But one that's on my mind tonight is about a woman who cast her ballot in Atlanta. She's a lot like the millions of others who stood in line to make their voice heard in this election except for one thing; Ann Nixon Cooper is 106 years old.

She was born just a generation past slavery; a time when there were no cars on the road or planes in the sky; when someone like her couldn't vote for two reasons; because she was a woman and because of the color of her skin.

And tonight, I think about all that she's seen throughout her century in America ¿ the heartache and the hope; the struggle and the progress; the times we were told that we can't, and the people who pressed on with that American creed: Yes we can.

At a time when women's voices were silenced and their hopes dismissed, she lived to see them stand up and speak out and reach for the ballot. Yes we can.

When there was despair in the dust bowl and depression across the land, she saw a nation conquer fear itself with a New Deal, new jobs and a new sense of common purpose. Yes we can.

When the bombs fell on our harbor and tyranny threatened the world, she was there to witness a generation rise to greatness and a democracy was saved. Yes we can.

She was there for the buses in Montgomery, the hoses in Birmingham, a bridge in Selma, and a preacher from Atlanta who told a people that "We Shall Overcome." Yes we can.

A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. And this year, in this election, she touched her finger to a screen, and cast her vote, because after 106 years in America, through the best of times and the darkest of hours, she knows how America can change. Yes we can.

America, we have come so far. We have seen so much. But there is so much more to do. So tonight, let us ask ourselves, if our children should live to see the next century; if my daughters should be so lucky to live as long as Ann Nixon Cooper, what change will they see? What progress will we have made?

This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment. This is our time, to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American Dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth, that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people:

Yes We Can. Thank you, God bless you, and may God Bless the United States of America.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

thanks stray.

great speech.

teary kitty.
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

Don't get me wrong - Obama may yet be the greatest president ever, but already the horrid American rhetoric is spewing from the media - "shows anyone can be the president", "the American Dream is still alive", etc...

Such a huge load of shit and this is what I have the biggest problem with. All it shows is the American vote can be bought if you throw the right amount of money at it. If Obama had the same money issues as McCain, and McCain had Bush's money, it would be a totally different outcome.
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

FunkyJ wrote: Such a huge load of shit and this is what I have the biggest problem with. All it shows is the American vote can be bought if you throw the right amount of money at it.
sorry funky, but thats just the kind of attitude i moved away from SA to get away from.

:roll:
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Shame about Proposition 8. About 16,000 gay marriages in California will now be moot. They lost by only 400,000 votes but I think there are still something like 4 million absentee votes to be counted. Fingers crossed.

It's fucking annoying that gay people can't enjoy the same rights as hetero's. We all argue about money and have bbq's on the weekends...what's the difference if they both have vage's or peen's??
mrj

Post by mrj »

quite a moving speech.
deviant

Post by deviant »

FunkyJ wrote:Don't get me wrong - Obama may yet be the greatest president ever, but already the horrid American rhetoric is spewing from the media - "shows anyone can be the president", "the American Dream is still alive", etc....
I hate that bullshit too.... anyone can be the president!!!!!!!!!!

EVEN A N*GGER!!!

blimey...

I reckon the next president should be a gay, transgender midget who's half african, half afganie and 1/3 spanish tbh

:?:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

deviant wrote:I reckon the next president should be a gay, transgender midget who's half african, half afganie and 1/3 spanish tbh
Obliveus?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

ghetto kitty wrote:
FunkyJ wrote: Such a huge load of shit and this is what I have the biggest problem with. All it shows is the American vote can be bought if you throw the right amount of money at it.
sorry funky, but thats just the kind of attitude i moved away from SA to get away from.

Is that really an opinion that is formed because of where someone is from Kitty? I don't agree with him, but your comment seems a little odd?

What attitude was it that made you move away from America?
deviant

Post by deviant »

GK will soon be moving from melbourne and saying that about us :shock:

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Is it gang up time?
almax

Post by almax »

:smt005 @ direktor
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

deviant wrote:
FunkyJ wrote:Don't get me wrong - Obama may yet be the greatest president ever, but already the horrid American rhetoric is spewing from the media - "shows anyone can be the president", "the American Dream is still alive", etc....

EVEN A N*GGER!!!

blimey...

I reckon the next president should be a gay, transgender midget who's half african, half afganie and 1/3 spanish tbh

I'm sorry, but when was the last time there WAS a black president? Fucking never, that's when. Can you imagine how incredibly uplifted the African American community must feel?? Forty years ago blacks and whites were segregated. Now there's a black man in the White House. To me, that means that anyone can be president. So yes it's a bullshit term but it's a fact now proven.

If there was ever a time for the term "anyone can be president" it's fucking now.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

deviant wrote:GK will soon be moving from melbourne and saying that about us :shock:

no, i wont.
melbourne has my heart, apart from the tiny piece i left in san francisco.

i moved from the US at ten years old, so there is things i dont like about americans since ive lived here and been back. to sum it up in basic terms, americans shit me with their arrogance, and australians shit me with their apathy. both are huge generalisations. both are also true to me as an individual.

south australia is PRIMO territory for grand sweeping statements, for backwater un informed politics and opinions, for complete loss of sight of the big picture (which is what mixxy is talking about in her post above)
i spent ten years there. I moved for mainly that reason, and the fact that smaller places, like Adelaide, and even New Zealand, seem to think they are justified in palming every other place off as bullshit.

funky's post, right after the post of the speech, summed that up to me.
thats all.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

i partly agree with funky

adverstising works - and requires $$. This was a massively expensive campaign and it would be foolish to discount the role that the media had, both paid for and just inclined towards obama / against mccain/palin. a 30 minute ad on all major networks? of course it helped!

the more i read and view a range of views on issues such as politics the more im inclined to think a left wing bias is an inherent part of mainstream journalism (with notable extreme exceptions such as fox) - i just think it goes with the kind of mindset and education that leads to an interest in reporting and commentating.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Wouldn't it be funny if Obama turned out to be the Antichrist. I'd lol.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

well he is an arab
mrj

Post by mrj »

deviant wrote: half african, half afganie and 1/3 spanish tbh
50% + 50% + 33% <> 100%

ARITHMATIC FAIL
deviant

Post by deviant »

mixtress wrote:
deviant wrote:

EVEN A N*GGER!!!

blimey...

I'm sorry, but when was the last time there WAS a black president? Fucking never, that's when. Can you imagine how incredibly uplifted the African American community must feel?? Forty years ago blacks and whites were segregated. Now there's a black man in the White House. To me, that means that anyone can be president. So yes it's a bullshit term but it's a fact now proven.

If there was ever a time for the term "anyone can be president" it's fucking now.
fair point mixxy.... I guess we/they have to start somewhere....

hopefully that sentiment will be a thing of the past for our children's children.... hopefully they'll accept it as a given :? maybe
deviant

Post by deviant »

mrj wrote:
deviant wrote: half african, half afganie and 1/3 spanish tbh
50% + 50% + 33% <> 100%

ARITHMATIC FAIL
thank you mister logic ;)
mrj

Post by mrj »

i think the fact that George Bush was elected is far more proof of the principle that anybody can be elected president, than Obama is.

What we should be saying is you can have a history of cocaine use. you can have a track record of failures in life and in business. you can be close to illiterate and such a poor public presenter that its a wonder you managed to make it through all those debates without setting your own podium on fire. You can be a complete retard backwards moronic son of a bitch. But even YOU can be president. YES YOU CAN.

I think the concept that anybody can be elected president is a terrifying notion. I wouldn't want "anyone". I would want a leader who is so fucking smart, so fucking talented, so fucking passionate, experienced, and hard working that when they speak the blow the bricks off buildings.

The problem with the past eight years is we have had an anybody in the white house. Thank god it looks like we finally might have a somebody instead.
Last edited by mrj on Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.