the news thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
mrj

Re: the news thread

Post by mrj »

what if I'm just a bad something.

like a bad cook? or a bad speler? can i shoot people then?
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

C.I.A. wrote:it could very easily mutate into something approaching 12 monkeys-style future, complete with mad stencil art.
RAD,
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

What if you're just plain old bad at ass?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Here's what i want to know.

Since when did we have an organised, co-ordinated international response to these things, complete with nurses at airports, nurses who seem to know exactly what to look for... The US did not even have a response to a major natural disaster, yet somehow the whole world knows exactly what to do when a flu starts killing people.

The whole thing is like a bad movie.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ are you happy or unhappy with the response the "world" has taken?
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

DBoy wrote:Here's what i want to know.

Since when did we have an organised, co-ordinated international response to these things, complete with nurses at airports, nurses who seem to know exactly what to look for... The US did not even have a response to a major natural disaster, yet somehow the whole world knows exactly what to do when a flu starts killing people.

The current Pandemic Response was developed after the SARS scare. The World Health Organisation realised that global response to potentially deadly pandemics was woefully inadequate and developed an Epidemic and Pandemic Alert and Response (EPR). Given that pandemics are inevitable, the framework was developed with the following aims:

1.Support Member States for the implementation of national capacities for epidemic preparedness and response in the context of the IHR(2005), including laboratory capacities and early warning alert and response systems;

2.Support national and international training programmes for epidemic preparedness and response;
Coordinate and support Member States for pandemic and seasonal influenza preparedness and response;

3.Develop standardized approaches for readiness and response to major epidemic-prone diseases (e.g. meningitis, yellow fever, plague);

4.Strengthen biosafety, biosecurity and readiness for outbreaks of dangerous and emerging pathogens outbreaks (e.g. SARS, viral haemorrhagic fevers); and

5. Maintain and further develop a global operational platform to support outbreak response and support regional offices in implementation at regional level.

See http://www.who.int/csr/disease/influenz ... index.html for the pandemic preparedness document. Is an interesting read.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

youthful_implants wrote:
C.I.A. wrote:it could very easily mutate into something approaching 12 monkeys-style future, complete with mad stencil art.
RAD,

lol i was picturing something out of Outbreak with that monkey that almost killed a whole town styles.

*waits for Dustin Hoffman to save the world*
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
youthful_implants

C.I.A. wrote:

The current Pandemic Response was developed after the SARS scare. The World Health Organisation realised that global response to potentially deadly pandemics was woefully inadequate and developed an Epidemic and Pandemic Alert and Response (EPR). Given that pandemics are inevitable, the framework was developed with the following aims:

1.Support Member States for the implementation of national capacities for epidemic preparedness and response in the context of the IHR(2005), including laboratory capacities and early warning alert and response systems;

2.Support national and international training programmes for epidemic preparedness and response;
Coordinate and support Member States for pandemic and seasonal influenza preparedness and response;

3.Develop standardized approaches for readiness and response to major epidemic-prone diseases (e.g. meningitis, yellow fever, plague);

4.Strengthen biosafety, biosecurity and readiness for outbreaks of dangerous and emerging pathogens outbreaks (e.g. SARS, viral haemorrhagic fevers); and

5. Maintain and further develop a global operational platform to support outbreak response and support regional offices in implementation at regional level.

See http://www.who.int/csr/disease/influenz ... index.html for the pandemic preparedness document. Is an interesting read.
I love it when you use long words. :smt007
Strontium Music

C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

youthful_implants wrote:
C.I.A. wrote:

Alas, Alex, my gastric capacity knows no satitety :P
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
youthful_implants

C.I.A. wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:
Alas, Alex, my gastric capacity knows no satitety :P
fo shizzle ma fizzle.
Strontium Music

DBoy

Post by DBoy »

and the abundance of nurses who are trained in this particular area of expertise? including the knowledge and practical application of thermal scanning for flue symptoms? I'm impressed with our readiness. Go WHO, way to display your organisations effectiveness. Please send your tactical response unit my regards
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

so should i be wearing my bio suit on the plane when i board in 3 weeks?
is borneo/malaysia under any threat?

jeebus, maybe i will end up with pig aids.
mrj

Post by mrj »

ghetto kitty wrote:so should i be wearing my bio suit on the plane when i board in 3 weeks?
Definitley. At the very least you can ditch the helmet and shoot a video remake of Heavy D's "Now that we found love". Sounds sick innit.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

In other news former Heavy D $ the Boyz band member, G-Wizz, was recently arrested on forgery charges. In a statement made by Captain Noaha Waay of Ohio's infamous Forgery Unit, G-Wizz was accused of making claims to being some kind of exclamation when it appears that evidence gathered by the Forgery Unit and members of the Cultural Authority of America make G-Wizz out to be merely a blip on the map.

When contact for comment G-Wizz could only be heard to mumble something about a loose connection to a Michael Jackson record and then noises which appeared to sound like a pig. A neighbour of G-Wizz, who now lives in Mexico, has claimed that on numerous occasions G-Wizz has been seen hanging about the local deli, sniffing nurses and priests who frequent the area.

A close friend who wishes not to be named said “Things have just not been the same for G since they names that episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force the same name, Gee-Whiz, he seemed to think it effected his notoriety”.

The case against G-Wizz continues tomorrow.
youthful_implants

wtf.

I used to love heavy d and the boyz. :(
Strontium Music

C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

DBoy wrote:and the abundance of nurses who are trained in this particular area of expertise? including the knowledge and practical application of thermal scanning for flue symptoms? I'm impressed with our readiness. Go WHO, way to display your organisations effectiveness. Please send your tactical response unit my regards
The chimney response team sends you its love.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

youthful_implants wrote:wtf.

I used to love heavy d and the boyz. :(
Blue Funk FTW
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

blip.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Was meant to travel domestically to Sydders today but stupid JetStar put me on a stupid internatty flight stopping off at Sydders. Do you suppose they clean down every surface with antibacterial wipes on internatty planes before every flight?
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
calstro

Post by calstro »

WHO - Phase 5.

Woot.

I always thought it would be the birds that killed us all.

:teef:
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

mixtress wrote:Was meant to travel domestically to Sydders today but stupid JetStar put me on a stupid internatty flight stopping off at Sydders. Do you suppose they clean down every surface with antibacterial wipes on internatty planes before every flight?
i doubt any airline does that on any flight. planes = filth !!!

They all look so old and disguisting!!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
deviant

Post by deviant »

C.I.A. wrote:Not looking fantastic at the moment, but may not be a big deal. If it ramps up to 5, start buying water and baked beans.
elevated to phase 5 today

http://www.theage.com.au/world/who-rais ... tml?page=1
youthful_implants

Looks like we found the cause of the problem too...

Strontium Music

C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Not very concerned at the moment. Avoiding it is easy... don't go OS.

Also, syptoms are pretty mild. Will be interesting to see if it mutates into zombie-brain-eating rage-disease.

Wouldn't mind a holiday or for society to collapse. Bit of both would be best. I've still got my eye on the Aston Martin dealership... when the city has descended into lawless chaos I'm hotfooting it to the dealership (avoiding the zombies who are scared of daylight) with my "complete idiot's guide to hotwiring an Aston Martin".

It'll be just like GTAIV only driving on the other side of the road :D :D :D
youthful_implants

C.I.A. wrote:Not very concerned at the moment. Avoiding it is easy... don't go OS.

Also, syptoms are pretty mild. Will be interesting to see if it mutates into zombie-brain-eating rage-disease.

Wouldn't mind a holiday or for society to collapse. Bit of both would be best. I've still got my eye on the Aston Martin dealership... when the city has descended into lawless chaos I'm hotfooting it to the dealership (avoiding the zombies who are scared of daylight) with my "complete idiot's guide to hotwiring an Aston Martin".

It'll be just like GTAIV only driving on the other side of the road :D :D :D
:lol:

Bang!
Strontium Music

retzie

Post by retzie »

Now to the real news...

Stillwater's Testicle Spectacle
the sorry excuse for a student newspaper wrote:Bull testicles, beer, a few thousand friends and a four-night festival of some of the biggest names in country music.

New Orleans has Mardi Gras, New York City brings a crowd for New Year’s Eve and in Stillwater, Calf Fry 2009 begins tonight.

The event is known as the “Testicle Festival” because of the fried calf testicles sold at the festival.
And I shall try my best to make myself available to this young man:
“Well, most of my buddies have gotten arrested out there before,” Collins said. “I’m just going to try not to.

“It’s gonna be a good time. I’m gonna have some fun, do a little drinking and hit on some ladies.”
:smt007
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

:D

Morning swine, boars and piglets

Have been issued virus-proof respirators by work. Work just fine, but leave an unsightly mark around my face when I remove, and elastic head-strap = bad hair day. All the guys have been told to get rid of facial hair, cos it ruins the seal and virus can get through via beard-mediated spaces. Wish that 'ironic moustaches' were virus traps. God I hate hipster moustaches. Good times. Good times.

Recommended reading: 'The Plague' by Camus, 'Journal of a Plague Year' by Defoe, 'Animal Farm' by Orwell and 'Charlotte's Web' by fuck knows. Ideas for wasting time... come up with various gruesome endings for the pig in Charlotte's Web or the pig in the movie 'babe'. Perhaps have unsuspecting people eat main character.
deviant

Post by deviant »

so, Cia, what's your opinion on seasonal flu shots? I never get them... some people think I'm stupid, but I dunno I just never get the flu. I also don't really like the thought of injecting flu virus (dead or otherwise) into me...
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

deviant wrote:so, Cia, what's your opinion on seasonal flu shots? I never get them... some people think I'm stupid, but I dunno I just never get the flu. I also don't really like the thought of injecting flu virus (dead or otherwise) into me...
The shots that were developed to counter the 1970's Swine 'flu were more dangerous than the flu itself and killed quite a few people. I have also been on the receiving end of a dodgy vaccination... when I was four I was vaccinated with a measles vaccine that hadn't been treated and I got given full-blown measles. Way to go, guys!

The flu shot is going to be given to people on the front line, and even then it won't grant immunity because it was developed for a different flu strain. Even if they nail this flu and get a good vaccine going in about 6 months time, I'm still going to hang back and see what it does to a cross-section of the community before lining up to get mine. There are so many unknowns, and with the standard 'flu if you have a decent immune system you should be ok. It is only when the virus mutates and causes immune systems to go into unstoppable positive feedback loops that you get cytokine storms... if people start haemmoraging and bleeding to death (BLUD! BLUD!) than I'll consider the vaccine.
deviant

Post by deviant »

yeah, but what about SEASONAL flu shots?

DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Are we not just promoting these virus' to become stronger by using the vaccines?
If we fight it naturally surely the pace at which they evolve will stay in line with the rate at which are immune systems battle them, by jumping steps are we not promoting them to evolve faster too... It seems like a dangerous battle (/cycle) that we are unlikely to win. After all nature designed us, surely it will out design us in a duel.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Needs more panic and hysteria and looting

WHERE DO WE GET THESE PLACEBOS!?! MAYBE THERE'S SOME IN THIS TRUCK!!!!
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

DBoy wrote:Are we not just promoting these virus' to become stronger by using the vaccines?
If we fight it naturally surely the pace at which they evolve will stay in line with the rate at which are immune systems battle them, by jumping steps are we not promoting them to evolve faster too... It seems like a dangerous battle (/cycle) that we are unlikely to win. After all nature designed us, surely it will out design us in a duel.
What do you mean by 'stronger'?

some diseases have been eradicated by immunisation. Polio hasn't evolved to become more dangerous. You seem to be thinking of the evolutionary arms race... you have to keep running faster to stay in the same place... diseases play by the same rules and tend to become less dangerous over time because the disease that doesn't kill as quickly passes on to more people... ebola is dangerous but burns out quickly cos it kills it's host... hiv is much slower and much more successful cos it lies 'dormant' for so many years.

And no, Dan, never had a 'seasonal' flu shot. Had the flu three times in my life. If I worked in healthcare I'd have it... we get offered it at work, but can't be assed.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Hardy wrote:Needs more panic and hysteria and looting

LOL !!! exactly!!

I'm down for looting and pillage!!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

ADD_Boy wrote:
Hardy wrote:Needs more panic and hysteria and looting

LOL !!! exactly!!

I'm down for looting and pillage!!
Hardy I pissed my pants :lol:
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

There's a 2 and a half year old girl in Britain who is now the youngest member of MENSA, with an IQ of 156.

Bitch :roll:
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I read the headline this morning "Dont panic, but stock up" and half expected to find the streets full of looters!

I'm ready!

CIA - I thought the flu and it's various strains that continue to appear were an 'evolution' that persists. Unlike other diseases which are identified, like Polio, of which there is only one type, the flu has indeed proved that it is capable of re-emerging time and time again with slightly different characteristics meaning that immunisation is constantly in need up updating.

Tell me im wrong, i have just made all this up in my head anyways.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

mixxy .. My Ego Needs Some Attention.

did u see that law and order episode last night .. ?
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

mixtress wrote:There's a 2 and a half year old girl in Britain who is now the youngest member of MENSA, with an IQ of 156.

Bitch :roll:

There are so many facets to intelligence, and to think that they can all be assessed with "how many triangles in this picture" type lateral thinking tests is one of the most retarded things humans as a species have come up with.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

IQ doesn't mean shit.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Hardy wrote:IQ doesn't mean shit.
:lol:

What he said.
deviant

Post by deviant »

According to those IQ tests I am some sort of high-genius... I'm not saying this isn't true.. just that it is unlikely.

ah fuck it... I AM a fucking genius and youse cunts better rocognise!

mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Normally I'd agree with you all (IQ of 124 right here, barely employable, stunted conversations abound), but she knows how to spell and count in something like four languages.

Nope ADD, no Law and Order for me. I'm opposed to entertainment based around rape and such.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

DBoy wrote:I read the headline this morning "Dont panic, but stock up" and half expected to find the streets full of looters!

I'm ready!

CIA - I thought the flu and it's various strains that continue to appear were an 'evolution' that persists. Unlike other diseases which are identified, like Polio, of which there is only one type, the flu has indeed proved that it is capable of re-emerging time and time again with slightly different characteristics meaning that immunisation is constantly in need up updating.

Tell me im wrong, i have just made all this up in my head anyways.
No, you are correct, but unlike antibiotics which provide an evolutionary selection pressure for bacteria to develop 'resistance', immunisation does not provide selection pressure for viruses. Those that tend to reassemble at regular intervals do so because they belong to a type of virus 'family' rather than because the ones that have survived have overcome, say, a type of 'vaccination'.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Is all a moot point anyway lolz. A/H1N1 is less nasty than standard influenza and has killed almost no one.

There go my dreams of a mad Aston Martin hotwiring mission :(
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

It did manage to prove that the rhetoric of fear that has been the last decade has worked for the powers that be, and with in a week they are able to employ laws which can stop gatherings of more than 3, probably halt international travel and get people to spend money on goods (to stock up) - all through the most basic of media leaks and a little bit of spin...
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Had a read of a conspiracy theory the other day. It said that the governments of the world fucked up by stocking up so madly on Tamiflu during the Avian scare 3 years ago and b/c the Tamiflu only has a shelf life of 3 years, the governments had to make their money back fast or risk having to throw them all away. Thus, Swine Flu scare. Stock depleted within a week.

It was an interesting thought.
nic

Post by nic »

its a pissweak flu imo
its like a runny nose for pigs
overblown by 10 x bazillion

some people just need to get on with it.
aroes

Post by aroes »

yeh i had it most of last week
not all that bad really

here's me before swine flu.................

and after.........
nic

Post by nic »

daaamnnnn ill take the second option.
less luturgical dance