Soundsystem Culture. Can it flourish in Australia?

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Dub Club Melbourne

Soundsystem Culture. Can it flourish in Australia?

Post by Dub Club Melbourne »

Often when I mention the term 'soundsystem' not sound system, I often feel its misunderstood as it hasn't really took off here as it has in say UK, Europe and many countries. so below is a blurb I wrote to promote and teach people about the cultural aspect of soundsystems. I would like to hear peoples views on this, so please feel free to comment. :)

‘Soundsystem’ is the traditional medium through which reggae, dub and dancehall etc is presented. The term refers to not only the machine itself with its speaker stacks and equipment, but also to the crew where each member plays a role. Often the sound system is custom built, giving each individual ‘sound’ its own unique character. The concept dates back to the late 1950’s in the ghettos of Kingston, Jamaica, from where it was brought to the UK and other countries by Caribbean migrants. Communities developed around their local soundsystems and each had its own loyal following rather like a football club. The dances were crucial in lifting the spirits of the Caribbean exiles, helping them to forget their hardships - something that reggae and soundsystem culture now does worldwide, regardless of nationality. As music constantly evolves, the soundsystem is the foundation that resonates through many sub genres of modern progressive music we know today.

Can this flourish in Australia? Can soundsystem play a major role within the Aussie music scene?
Last edited by Dub Club Melbourne on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FliP

Re: Soundsystem Culture. Can it flourish in Australia?

Post by FliP »

My housemate goes on about this all the time.. so much so that he's trying to build a sound system at the moment because he got drunk and challenged Barron Von Rotten to a sound-off with his system in the coming summer in some inner city park...

Apparently you also get kudos for blowing systems.. :D
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

I'm curious.. don't know much about this so forgive obvious questions.

What is the advantage of having a soundsystem? Is it just better quality sound? I'm presuming that these soundsystems in Jamaica were used in replace of established clubs? I'm just not sure what sort of purpose they would serve here in Aus where we have established clubs.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

a major role? i doubt it. but i'd still love to see you clash earthshaker. :)
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
tee193

Post by tee193 »

kudos for playing musical weapons piew piew piew.
kava

Post by kava »

the one reason often ommited is the finacial constraints the jamaicans had, they couldn't just go and hire a sound system, no one had money. DIY and once you have it you get instant creative monopoly on what gets played on it. its good in some ways but often turns into a 'you can't play with my toys' type thing...
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

The soundsystem was also about the unique records (dubs, acetates, etc) being played by each individual crew (Prince Buster, Reid, etc)...not just the system itself, wasn't it?

Obviously, the system was important though and you wouldn't have the tunes to the masses if not for it.

I hope it flourishes in Australia as I want more sound clashes. Makes me think of comic book clashes. More DJ's wearing capes, boots, masks and spandex, too. :wink:

Didn't Heartical Sound, or at least the main dude, come out from England or something like that? That's a fricken rig and a half. They're doing it, so it does and can work for you, too. Go for it mang.

Reading a great book on this right now (thanks Spies)...

:D
Dub Club Melbourne

autumnleaves wrote:I'm curious.. don't know much about this so forgive obvious questions.

What is the advantage of having a soundsystem? Is it just better quality sound? I'm presuming that these soundsystems in Jamaica were used in replace of established clubs? I'm just not sure what sort of purpose they would serve here in Aus where we have established clubs.
The main advantage of having your own sound is that you have full control of it and can play your music how you want it to be heard. Most systems in clubs are made for commercial music and playing on a system that is custom built to the specs of the music you wish to play is a blessing.

In JA most dance events are out doors on lawns etc. So the promoters or crew who run the session need to own or have access to a suitable system.

I think that in the UK soundsystem culture took off because the clubs only promoted popular music to bring in revenue, so the soundsystem was important in forwarding reggae in community halls and blues dances as a alternative to benefit the community. Its a similar scenario here in Aus where the clubs that have adequate sound systems are not interested in the development of smaller underground music scenes like dub reggae or dubstep etc. The problem is lack of venue space where you can bring in a sound and play to your liking.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Also i'm pretty sure (correct me if i'm wrong) that the system we see at parties in Melbourne is Heartical Outernational, and that there is another system living in the UK........when i youtubed Heartical i found lots of snippets of dubstep parties over that side of the world

Obviously Heartical is the #1 system doing the rounds in our fine town, but do people know of any others that are operational and/or being built??

Would def be cool to see something of a similar ilk, if not for competition, just for diversity's sake
Dub Club Melbourne

obliveus wrote:The soundsystem was also about the unique records (dubs, acetates, etc) being played by each individual crew (Prince Buster, Reid, etc)...not just the system itself, wasn't it?

Obviously, the system was important though and you wouldn't have the tunes to the masses if not for it.

I hope it flourishes in Australia as I want more sound clashes. Makes me think of comic book clashes. More DJ's wearing capes, boots, masks and spandex, too. :wink:

Didn't Heartical Sound, or at least the main dude, come out from England or something like that? That's a fricken rig and a half. They're doing it, so it does and can work for you, too. Go for it mang.

Reading a great book on this right now (thanks Spies)...

:D
That true. A big part of soundsystem is being unique and exclusive in selection, dubs and approach to playing the music, as well as the crew themselves and their loyal followers. No two 'sounds' play or sound the same and this is what makes it interesting, especially when it comes to soundclash competitions.

I love it :D
Dub Club Melbourne

-aroes- wrote:Also i'm pretty sure (correct me if i'm wrong) that the system we see at parties in Melbourne is Heartical Outernational, and that there is another system living in the UK........when i youtubed Heartical i found lots of snippets of dubstep parties over that side of the world

Obviously Heartical is the #1 system doing the rounds in our fine town, but do people know of any others that are operational and/or being built??

Would def be cool to see something of a similar ilk, if not for competition, just for diversity's sake
There is another crew in France called Heartical. not sure if they run their own sound though, but they have nuff dubplate specials and a record label.

Try youtubeing Heartical hifi to see the Aus one. :D

There are other systems in Melbourne all playing different styles. some are more kind of PA's rather than cultural soundsystems.
Last edited by Dub Club Melbourne on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dub Club Melbourne

Also in Adelaide, Jah Trinity is about to launch his new 'Earthshaker' set on 1st May.
aroes

Post by aroes »

oh right, i thought the two systems must have been in cahoots with eachother
Dub Club Melbourne

-aroes- wrote:oh right, i thought the two systems must have been in cahoots with eachother

Na. completely different.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

probably only if the outdoor festival scene evolves and grows. Especially in this 'scene'. Heartical is pretty big now and she is rarely used at full capacity apart from basement cos of her size and space avail. She gets to street festivals and the reggae fest.
Sub bass take theirs to their parties. . . So its a matter of growing the outdoor scene and then we may see more systems appear. A wall of sound and soundclash would be spectacular. Adl has lots more festivals so their system will probably get more use. . . And the transport side of things is a big one. . . . Got the funds for a semi if heartical grows anymore ;)
heartical wouldnt be without you and your crew behind her. . . . And those that love everything about heartical hi fi - the guys, the gigs, the radio and the physical system.
Raider

Post by Raider »

THREE CHEERS FOR HEARTICAL HI FI!

HA BIP!
Why did the elephant get lost in the jungle?
CAUSE THE JUNGLE IS MASSIVE!

http://facebook.com/RaiderDNB
Dub Club Melbourne

Many thanks for the kind words some of you have wrote about Heartical HiFi. Nuff rispek.

So the general feeling on this topic is that soundsystem culture could flourish if only there was venue space and event organisers to support it.

With regards to a soundclash, Heartical HiFi and Earthshaker have vowed that one day the two sounds will meet. When this happens it will be a landmark for soundsystem culture in Australia.

Also look out for Champion Sound in Brisbane also doing good works.

....and dont forget the complete Heartical HiFi in session Fri 17 April at Night owl. Full crew, full sound and in full effect.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

obliveus wrote:The soundsystem was also about the unique records (dubs, acetates, etc) being played by each individual crew (Prince Buster, Reid, etc)...not just the system itself, wasn't it?
but then would mean u could call urselff a sound if u just had dubplates which ny one can do if they got the cash...

imo if ur gonna be called a sound u need a sounds system.. nuff said.

i dont think it will take off in aus, cuz i dont recon enough peeps care about it or are passionate about it (unfortunatley)

we lucky that we have the heartical tho.
Dub Club Melbourne

same o wrote:
but then would mean u could call urselff a sound if u just had dubplates which ny one can do if they got the cash...

i dont think it will take off in aus, cuz i dont recon enough peeps care about it or are passionate about it (unfortunatley)

Some good points here.

Prince buster and Duke Reid etc all ran their own sounds.

There are many crews about who label themselves as a soundsystem or sound for short who don't even do sound or have the machine, they just turn up and play on house PA. Fair enough. but then the whole meaning and purpose of 'soundsystem' is lost here IMO. How can they be a credited sound when no one sees them string one up. Ive argued this point over and over and quite frankly it has made me un-popular with some :?

The dubplate thing is something else that has lost its meaning and there is a whole debate regarding this.

I don't see why soundsystem culture couldn't take off here. People as you say aren't passionate or care about it but that's because they haven't fully been exposed to it so don't understand the concept properly, many don't know the difference between soundsystem and a PA. In JA, UK and Europe etc its as big as Sunday league football, a thriving culture that is a little late in reaching Oz where other countries have had it for many years now.

Sounds such as Heartical HiFi, Earthshaker and Champion Sound are all striving and determined to see it happen here.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

dont get me wrong man.. i hope it happens...

but i dont think it will.. i also think that the vast distances btwn major cities doesn’t help either.

it is relatively easy in uk, Europe and Jamaica to move ur systems around.

here ur likely to drive hours just to get to the next major city.. and while ur driving there u will prolly

meet some peter falconio type and get murdered :teef:

imo thats why it wont get big here... but like i said, i really hope it does.
Dub Club Melbourne

Seen.:)

Cho! Falconio Hi Powa. Heartical HiFi murder dat. Step aside. lol
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

rofl

get ya skeng out and all..
aroes

Post by aroes »

joanne lees cant fix ya send fi di hearse
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

rofl again
Jesse I

Post by Jesse I »

Dub Club Melbourne wrote:
same o wrote:

Some good points here.

Prince buster and Duke Reid etc all ran their own sounds.

There are many crews about who label themselves as a soundsystem or sound for short who don't even do sound or have the machine, they just turn up and play on house PA. Fair enough. but then the whole meaning and purpose of 'soundsystem' is lost here IMO. How can they be a credited sound when no one sees them string one up. Ive argued this point over and over and quite frankly it has made me un-popular with some :?
everything you say is true Derek. when you say the whole meaning of "soundsystem" has been lost, you're right. unfortunately for people like yourself, who are championing the original concept of soundsystem (speaker boxes, amps, etc) the term has evolved and come to have different meanings in different places. when you talk about having a sound in the UK, people will probably expect you to have a rig, but when you talk about having a reggae sound in Paris, Berlin, Tokyo, New York, San Fransisco, or Miami, people won't necessarily be expecting a rig, but rather a particular mode of delivery and content - custom dubplates, and tunes presented in a certain way, with lots of mic speech, etc. as well as geographical variance, the term "sound" also appears to carry different connotations depending on the music - dub scenes everywhere still generally expect a physical system, while dancehall scenes don't seem to.

it's a shame that this has happened, as it does make it harder for a "true" soundsystem like Heartical to really stand out. unfortunately, misinformation is one of the biggest problems that reggae/dub/dancehall sufferers from. over the years, I've met so many people who will say "yeah I love dub", but they don't actually know what they're talking about (they may actually be referring to 70s roots reggae, early 80s foundation, or even modern dancehall!).

when Chant Down started back in 2000, we called ourselves Chant Down Sound or Chant Down Soundsystem, as we were following the lead of the modern Jamaican sounds, who don't necessarily have a system, but play the music "soundsystem style" complete with dubplates bigging up their sound name. these days in Jamaica, the massive systems still exist, but even if you just have a car stereo, as long as you have tunes and an MC on the mic, you're a sound! the point is, it doesn't matter what you play on, it's how you play that makes you a sound in present-day Jamaica (the indoor club thing is much more prevalent these days also for what it's worth).

that said, I've made an effort in recent years to make sure we're just billed as Chant Down, and not Chant Down Soundsystem (though our logo says Chant Down Fire Sound which is different still!). even though I still consider us a sound in the modern Jamaican sense, I don't want to mislead anyone into expecting a custom-built system when they come to More Fire, and I also don't want to detract from guys like Heartical who are working so hard at building a serious, heavyweight soundsystem.

to be honest, I can't see that kind of soundsystem culture really taking off here, but I'd love to see it happen.
hearing the bass drop of a system like Heartical is definitely something special, and we're really lucky to have a soundsystem like this in Melbourne - respect once again to Derek for making it happen, as well all his supporters behind the scenes.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

the meaning of 'dubplate' has changed a bit too.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Jesse I

Post by Jesse I »

yeah, totally.

Jamaican music constantly evolves, but it seems to hang on to the old terms even when they no longer make sense. for example, the "45 shoot out" or "45 clash" - once that meant only 45's (7" singles) where allowed, but no custom dubplates - now they have 45 clashes where no actual 45's get played at all!
spin

Post by spin »

soundsystem clash, heartical vs subass at a wobble coming soon... shit will be crazy. :donk: :donk: :donk: :donk: :donk: :donk: :donk:
ANYTHING:TEST
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
http://gutterhype.blogspot.com/
Dub Club Melbourne

spin wrote:soundsystem clash, heartical vs subass at a wobble coming soon... shit will be crazy. :donk: :donk: :donk: :donk: :donk: :donk: :donk:
Thats news to me.

If Subass wish to challenge Heartical HiFi in a clash competition they are most welcome, but its up to them to organise such an event and the rules agreed by both contenders. Of course they would have to pay my fee as I don't murder sounds for free and I'm not cheap.

Even though Heartical HiFi is behind and supports Wobble, its not our cause. In fact Heartical HiFi Outernational is a reggae and dub sound crew that doesn't play at Wobble, we simply provide the system at this and help promote the scene. Our night is Basement Sessions.

If Subass want to test Wobble then thats' all good, but it wouldn't be a Subass V Heartical HiFi clash as such, though the wobble crew represent the sound also.
Last edited by Dub Club Melbourne on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
spin

Post by spin »

heard it from cheif wobbler today maybe i have jumped the gun and we need to delete this...
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
spin

Post by spin »

sounds good tho, on whatever terms are organised.
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
quick

Post by quick »

lol Rob... holster your weapon...
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Dub Club Melbourne

spin wrote:sounds good tho, on whatever terms are organised.
Seen. It could be great fun.

I have nuff respect for them subass youth and their efforts in getting their set together, doing things proper. Its early days for them at the mo and I think they do need to establish their sound, style and crew. This will happen in time and once this happens, they will excel.
Last edited by Dub Club Melbourne on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dub Club Melbourne

Not to forget the other sound systems out there who play different music styles.

Virus - Techno
AKA - DnB and Techno
Disrupt The System - Speedcore
The PSY Trance crew who have there rigs and so on.

A massive outdoor event featuring them all rather like a sound convention would be awesome.
spin

Post by spin »

Dub Club Melbourne wrote:Not to forget the other sound systems out there who play different music styles.

Virus - Techno
AKA - DnB and Techno

A massive outdoor event featuring them all rather like a sound convention would be awesome.
make this happen!
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
deviant

Post by deviant »

Subbass system is rad... not as big as heartical... but yannoe
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

Dub Club Melbourne wrote:Not to forget the other sound systems out there who play different music styles.

Virus - Techno
AKA - DnB and Techno

would be a rad party,
its a pity aka and virus have stepped back somewhat in recent years, used to have some sick squat parties.
and disrupt gets mad respect from me
looking forward to subbass getting some more mids and lows, system sounds good until it distorts, some more power and it'll be a tight sound.

definitely miss european sound system culture, unfortunately never experienced it ja style
can't see things gettin too big here. cities are so far away from each other, Melbourne particularly has too solid of a pub rock culture and rave culture (other than trance) seems to have a resistance toward running parties outside of clubs
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

wobble vs subbass would be some friendly clash vibes
Dub Club Melbourne

definitely miss european sound system culture, unfortunately never experienced it ja style
can't see things gettin too big here. cities are so far away from each other, Melbourne particularly has too solid of a pub rock culture and rave culture (other than trance) seems to have a resistance toward running parties outside of clubs[/quote]

We run our sound at our monthly club night, but when we set up Heartical HiFi and play outdoors-that's where its really at for us and definitely most enjoyable.

Garth you should come to Basement Sessions, its the closest you will find to a European soundsystem scene in Melbs.

Many cities worldwide are home to different sounds, so I cant really see why the distance between cities is factor that hinders the development of a scene here. I believe in Aus soundsystem culture is in its early days and I may be optimistic in seeing it develop here. Some people have posted that they can't see it happen though they would like to see so, but then we don't see them regular attending Melbourne's only night dedicated to this, so if people don't come to support it then it won't take off.

So I have to conclude that like I said in my blurb at the begining of the thread 'Communities developed around their local soundsystems and each had its own loyal following rather like a football club.' Well soccer isn't exactly Australia's national sport. :lol:

Big ups to all who show an interest and thanks to all who have commented on this topic so far. Keep em coming :)
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Loved wandering down a street in Rome only to hear some bass shaking the pavement somewhere. We chased it down to find 5000 heads on on a main road with about 5 soundsystems representing on the back on flat trucks and making their way to the Colusuem. Each with their crews on following trucks and their supporters along side and the rest making their way from one to the other.

They stopped outside and played until dark.

some shots from that day, wish i had better ones.

DBoy

Post by DBoy »

can not imagine that in Melbourne these days. I can imagine each state ending up with one dominte rig each and soundclashes taking place between them...
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

madness
Dub Club Melbourne

Nice one.:)

I understand Italy has a thriving scene.

I believe it has a more of a DIY vibe with lots of squat parties and stuff.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

yeah, and most the sounds were on the dancehall tip too, pretty tuff though. DIY for real, these kids were out of the squats and drains for this.

Went to a few parties in Berlin too, much more dub/reggea tip, suspect they were soundsystems too from the set ups.
Dub Club Melbourne

DBoy wrote:can not imagine that in Melbourne these days. I can imagine each state ending up with one dominte rig each and soundclashes taking place between them...
Here's some pics from Aus.

Earthshaker in Adelaide.
Heartical HiFi at High Vibes Northcote 08

The rest from Sydney rd part renegade session 09

Look Mum

see dem jump and twist

Hope you like.
Last edited by Dub Club Melbourne on Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

i have heard that is not all of the earth shaker aswell
Dub Club Melbourne

same o wrote:i have heard that is not all of the earth shaker aswell
He has built more boxes but think I remember him saying that they were for another system for his son to play on.

I can't wait to hear that play on 1st May in Adelaide.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

ahhh right..

i want a dad to build me a system..
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

see you friday.
has been a few months since i came down :)

think i was being a bit cynical yesterday, thinking back to when i first moved to melbourne things have come a long way.
distance isn't a terminal problem it just means things will have to evolve differently, its not possible to drive for two hours to be in another city for a gig, but melbourne is a big city so the numbers are there anyway and nasty tek parties are always vibin in sydney, i played bashment for micky in cairns a couple of years ago and even there the crowd was big enough and were well enthusiastic.
the seperation between DIY/squat parties and dancehall here is a bit odd, can only really think of sofire or bass bin laden playing them, maybe because a lot of djs here push roots and vintage sounds? seen squats explode to a dj jugglin wicked witch.