I'm not Local, i'm just an artist...

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
LowQui

I'm not Local, i'm just an artist...

Post by LowQui »

Hi Everyone,

So there is something I have to get off my chest about the use of the word "Local" to describe artists and in particular myself. Please read all of this and get my meaning before jumping in... No disrespect to Melbournians or Australians is intended.

On a personal tip:

I've been mc'ing since 1992 and learnt my trade originally in the UK but then at global raves and stages. I have never been classed as a "Local" MC in London or the UK, in fact, the term 'local" doesn't even exist there as far as I know, you just have DJ's or MC's (sometimes split into established or up and coming).

When I lived, MC'd and promoted raves in Germany I wasn't classed as German (even though I have german family) as the UK tag does not relate to where I lay my head, it's more about my background, hours spent on the MIC training live, on radio and in the studio. Most importantly (IMO) the UK tag recognises my inbred attitude to and passionate love for drum & bass music.

So now I live in Melbourne (which I love) and some people keep trying to say i'm "local", most of the time with the best intentions - now here's the thing, I'm not and never will be a "Local" as you can't erase 17 years of performing history that has developed into what you see now just because I wake up in the southern hemisphere.

So whats the problem with being called a "Local" anyway?

Obviously the basis of Local is the flip to Internationals who tour here. International is a cool tag, here's why I don't think local is...
I may get shot down in flames, but my perception of the word local is often slightly derogatory, like if your a local you will always be on the 2nd tier, not able to fully compete with true international artists rolling through the raves.

In many cases this is rubbish, there are a stack of DJ's & MC's (who happen to be based in Melbourne) who can easily compete on big stages with the big boys.

As an example; Johnny Hooves B2B Saffire at BBA last saturday - both are signed and released producers on international labels, have played loads of gigs in different places and gave a killer performance on stage that the crowd loved, yet they get called local. In my eyes that wasn't a local set - that was world class.

So why not just call them artists, DJ's or MC's, remove the "local" tag and let them stand or fall by their performance, not their postcode.

Why not get to the club early and stay a bit later to support these artists as they perform alongside the bigger names. Your support will help give them faith to develop, but only support them if they are actually good!

Artists that are born here or move here but are achieving word wide releases, or gigs or recognition deserve a bit of love in this tough music game.

I really want the melbourne scene to keep growing and evolving and will do all i can to make that happen. I hope this post sparks a bit of positive debate about one minor, but IMO important aspect..

What do you lot think?

My names LowQui not Local :)
Motive

Re: I'm not Local, i'm just an artist...

Post by Motive »

a good post, and reminds me of something Brad Baloo from Nextmen was saying years ago. he's spent loads of time out here, ran a series of gigs at First Floor, but couldn't get over the constant billing of UK next to his name, or the country next to anyone's name. i think he was embarrassed that people here felt the need to do it, as he felt many DJs here were as good as the visiting internationals. and in doing that, you automatically keep the talented djs here on the 2nd tier
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I agree too, but tbh I think the main reason this happens is becasue punters understand that if you bring someone out for a gig, the ticket prices will be higher due to airfares and visas etc. From my perspective, its part of transparent marketing of what you are doing. There is no reason why you cant have (NZ) or (UK) next to everyone who hails from elsewhere, but usually i think this is a tool promoters use to explain the dynamic of the act/performance etc. But I could be wrong, only my opinon.

And i guess, if a DJ or MC lives here, then punters know they can probably see them at a variety of gigs around town, such as in your sig Low Qui, and so putting the place next to their name suggests that perhaps it may be the only time they get to see them on a tour.

Dont get me wrong, i totally hear you about the 'tall poppy' syndrome, and Im all about stamping that shit out and giving credit where its due no matter where people are from or where they reside now, I mean lets face it, we have ALL paid good $ to see an 'international' who has been outdone by the 'locals' on the same night, right? Many times, in fact.

so instead, do we write 'TOURING" ? How do we market the difference?
Dub Club Melbourne

Post by Dub Club Melbourne »

Mi laugh out loud for all the right reasons.

Raspek LowQui, tell dem!
LowQui

Post by LowQui »

Having UK /NZ / China or whatever next to someones name is not the problem, its calling everyone else "local" that I perceive to be the problem...

Obviously marketing someone with a UK tag is fine, that can only help not hinder and i'm not suggesting touring artists (or myself) should lose a UK tag. To clarify I'll be using the UK tag till i'm dead...

it's more that artists who don't have a UK / NZ etc moniker just get respected for being artists and don't get lumped as local, as I don't think that reflects their talent.

In london when we helped launch artists (sabre and Alix perez spring to mind), we gave them near to or equal billing (which could be the subject of a whole new post), nothing was detracted from them for being either new or based in London, just promote the raw skills...

Liking the debate so far, any more viewpoints?
Fents

Post by Fents »

The only thing with local after it should be your closest pub.
Joe Seven

Post by Joe Seven »

Well said LowQui - that just sums it up perfectly...

its been common practise as long as ive been here for people to time their arrival at the club to catch the start of the "international" and leave as soon as they play there last record. Completely ignoring the other artists on the line up even when in many cases they play the same music just as well if not better. This is something i have never, ever come across anywhere else.

in regards to the higher ticket price of these events, The artists that come to Australia are doing so on the back of their productions, signings, talent and hard work in the scene and promoters have no problem paying a higher fee accordingly which then is passed on to the punters through ticket prices. There are artists both from Australia and from other parts of the world who live in Melbourne that are signed to the same internationally acclaimed labels, who's productions are being supported and released by the same DJ's, labels and radio stations, who are just as talented and worked just as hard but because the live here they are labeled as "support" or "local"

Why does where you live effect your worth as an artist?

Oh and it should be mentioned that this does not just apply to drum and bass, dubstep, beats whatever.

just doesn't make sense to me.
Last edited by Joe Seven on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Yeah I tend to agree. The tag 'local' does (unintentionally) suggest that they are second tier and nothing to get excited about, which is bullshit. There are balltearers in this city that will hold a candle to anyone else in the world.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Joe Seven wrote:Well said LowQui - that just sums it up perfectly...

its been common practise as long as ive been here for people to time their arrival at the club to catch the start of the "international" and leave as soon as they play there last record. Completely ignoring the other artists on the line up even when in many cases they play the same music just as well if not better. This is something i have never, ever come across anywhere else.

Oh and it should be mentioned that this does not just apply to drum and bass, dubstep, beats whatever.

I think the factor in all this is that we only have internatty's come by every so often, but we have access to see Melbourne DJ's almost every week. I love Goldie, but if he played every week in Melbourne I wouldn't go see him every week.

Yes, There are Melbourne DJ's and producers that are just as good (or better) than internationals, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see internationals as when I get the chance.
LowQui

Post by LowQui »

Hardy wrote:
Joe Seven wrote:Well said LowQui - that just sums it up perfectly...

I think the factor in all this is that we only have internatty's come by every so often, but we have access to see Melbourne DJ's almost every week. Yes, There are Melbourne DJ's and producers that are just as good (or better) than internationals, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see internationals as well.
I'm not suggesting Internationals should stop touring, far from it. What i'm saying is that support should be given to artists on the same line up and they shouldn't just get written off as local.

Also - In London you can see big names on the reg's. that doesn't stop you going to see them week in week out (If they are good), so why not go see good artists here on the regs if you can afford to mentally, physically and financially.

No-one ever gets billed as "support / local" in the UK, even in the provinces, so why does it happen here?

My comments are not about taking anything away from Touring artists, just giving more respect to other artists on the line uo.
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Cubist is...

same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

I have so much love for wobble for that exact reason people going mental to melbourne dj's.

it's what I hope will come from sensi saturdays, but i guess we will have to wait and see.
LowQui

Post by LowQui »

Cubist wrote:Cubist is...

bwahaha... Good work Cubist. despite your t-shirt in my eyes your not "local" either. You run and DJ at a successful regular event and have releases on worldwide labels. Big up for the way you give equal billing to your artists at wobble.

AWOL was built on 5 dj's and one mc, the same line up week in, week out, no one cared where they lived or flew in from.

I hope you can realise from my posts my aim is to help artists and the scene here. it's going to take time but small shifts in attitude could help everyone.

LowQui not Local - flapping buttefly wings in shanghai to cause a tsunami in melbourne
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

i get UK after my name still and i've lived here 3 years...on the flipside i'm playing in Reading, UK week after next with Noisia and they billed me as (AUS) :) leave for three years and thats what happens! i'm gonna come out chatting 'cunt this cunt that' :)
Joe Seven

Post by Joe Seven »

I'm not saying that artists should not tour in Melbourne - far from it...

I'm just curious as to why there has to be a distinction between artists based purely on where they were born or where they live?
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

same o wrote:I have so much love for wobble for that exact reason people going mental to melbourne dj's.

it's what I hope will come from sensi saturdays, but i guess we will have to wait and see.
yeah man, i was just thinking same thing while i was bopping round the city b4 i saw this post...Wobble is rammed month in month out!
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Joe Seven wrote:I'm not saying that artists should not tour in Melbourne - far from it...

I'm just curious as to why there has to be a distinction between artists based purely on where they were born or where they live?
I agree, there shouldn't be. I especially hate the term "support" DJ. It's even more belittling than "local". I think all these tags have been thrown on melbourne flyers since day one, so it has become the norm (this applies to all genres, not just dnb).
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Locals > Internationals
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
deviant

Post by deviant »

FRAKSHA... wrote:Image
lol, I was gunna post that...

"This is a local rave for local DJs, we'll have no trouble here!"
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

But then I won't be able to put "I supported so and so" on my DJ CV.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

Who have you supported Jamessss? WHO!?
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

me......

:teef:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I give maximum support every time I play.
Don't hate me for house
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

'All local Line Up'
'Local supports including'
'Locals'

Not a derogatory term IMO... just allows for people to be proud that the MCs or DJs come from the location.... ie: (syd) (WA) etc... in some ways it is even better to be regarded as a local because there is a greater sense of the want to support your own, it can be more personal, and people around the area and country can look up to these 'locals' and see what they have achieved without thinking its just a pipe dream.

I like the internattys, but there is nothing more amazing sometimes when an internatty has played and the locals.... 'our locals' give the night it's finishing touches. That's when i wish more people would stay back to support local not just leave cos the internatty has finished.

Not 2nd rate by no means...

Love Local & Support Local!!!
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

a timely post.

obviously the denomination of artists on a bill has come from promoters wanting to realise value from the investment in bringing out/paying a component of an international artist. fair play, no reason not to apply the same logic to a local performer; you get the same value, minus the performance cost.

more please.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Joe Seven wrote:its been common practise as long as ive been here for people to time their arrival at the club to catch the start of the "international" and leave as soon as they play there last record. Completely ignoring the other artists on the line up even when in many cases they play the same music just as well if not better. This is something i have never, ever come across anywhere else.
word. maybe ticket prices wouldn't seem so high if it was for a few hours instead of 90 minutes. :noteef:
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Being termed a 'support DJ/MC' is definitely the more derogatory than a 'local DJ/MC' if you really want to see it in that light, but

I think the term 'local' is taken either one of two ways.

1. If you are a well-known or well-toured DJ/MC, who has respect in the scene due to artistic skills and performances, then you would consider being called a 'local' more derogatory than not being called it at all.

2. If you are learning, or an upcoming talent.. I believe being booked as 'support' act or 'local' talent for an international tour in Melbourne is one of the most gratifying things you can experience.

Personally, I dont give a fuck about being called a local, support, or whatever.. if someone is going to be successful in the DNB/dubstep/hip-hop scene, it is about their dedication and technical skill at what they do. If you use the term 'local' to belittle someone, or poke fun at their location of performances.. what the fuck are you doing to help the scene? Politics is for overpaid balding seniors, not for musicians. Sticks and stones aye..

Most international DJs and MCs I have seen come through this city cannot even touch the underground talent we possess here. Perhaps the collective ego in Melbourne is a little less brushed UP than 'back in the UK'.
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
Raider

Post by Raider »

hey lowqui massive respect for this post I couldn't agree more!

I go to see a DJ cause I've either not seen them before or cause I know they are good and want to support them and just see them cause I enjoy it. I don't give two shits where they are from, all that matters to me is if I'm feeling their tunes and their style. Being over here in the uk, there are so many melbourne born or melbourne based djs I think would do as good a job or a better job than 'locals' billed on a lineup over here.

As far as Melbourne gigs go, I've seen some amazing internationals play in melbourne, kenny ken and shock one come to mind. But the fact is, the best parties I've ever been to, ones I've got the most out of have in fact been made up entirely of djs from or based in melbourne. Jungle Run 7 and almost every wobble come to mind. So it don't matter where a DJ comes from, all that matters is what you get from it. I'm no the type to leave cause of a DJ's label when they come on, I stay if I'm feeling it, I go if I'm not, simple as that.

LowQui I don't see you as a local in a musical sense... it's more that you're living here and I guess a lot of people just want to show you we support that and you are welcomed here, as a musician and as a person. I enjoy your style, and love the vibe you bring, it makes no difference if you are from the UK or Aus or Germany or Mars!! Every musician deserves support if they have the talent and the passion no matter where they come from.
Why did the elephant get lost in the jungle?
CAUSE THE JUNGLE IS MASSIVE!

http://facebook.com/RaiderDNB
LowQui

Post by LowQui »

Some good points in here that I had not considered, it seems my perception of the word local tallies with some views but differs from others. I love the English language for its ambiguity.
bonsai wrote:Perhaps the collective ego in Melbourne is a little less brushed UP than 'back in the UK'.
What does brushed up mean?
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

just a euphemism for value surely.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

LowQui wrote:Some good points in here that I had not considered, it seems my perception of the word local tallies with some views but differs from others. I love the English language for its ambiguity.
bonsai wrote:Perhaps the collective ego in Melbourne is a little less brushed UP than 'back in the UK'.
What does brushed up mean?
brushed up in this context would mean = enlarged, expanded, excessively large or oversized.
Upcoming....
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

I think what LowQuie is sayin is that there are peeps here on par with dudes in the UK. And when they billed on flyers etc with local next to em it sorta degrades their status. I always sayin' we just don't have such a history of rave culture here compared to the UK. And DnB was born in the UK. The fact also that really all the record labels live in the UK has something to do with it I reacon. The more peeps can create a culture here the better. By dudes writing good tunes, putting on proper parties and communicating the better. And yeah, better to have Hooves on a flier as HOOVES (BSE) as apposed to HOOVES - Local etc. ;-)
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Interesting point you got there cubist and makes me think about the history of it.

The country of origin of DJ's has been listed on fliers in Melbourne as long as i can remember and I am sure this came from the fact that when the rave scene started it was a big deal to have a guest out from OS.

Now though, you would think that the reputation of the DJ should sell itself, without having to point out that the are 'not local' - cause fact is, local or not, if your rep does not proceed you, then telling me you are from the somewhere that is not here does not make you better in my opinion.

I think with people referring to LowQui as a local just shows we are chuffed to have a lad of his quality as a regular bill, and like Phar Lap, just might try to claim him as our own. :teef: The Kiwi's will sympathise with you mate.
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

wre(Local Bedroom Dj) :smt003

The world is a bigger place than local, unless you live in frankston of course :shock:
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

I can't say I've ever seen a flyer with

INTERNATIONAL (BRAZIL)
MELBDJ (LOCAL)

...anywhere.
Upcoming....
Amick

Post by Amick »

No its like...

KENNY KEN [UK]
SHY FX [UK]

Locals: etc. etc.
(and usually get no caps for dem either) :(
Raider

Post by Raider »

kenny ken and shy fx on the same night in melbourne?

I want in on that party but change the flyer to this:

TROOPER (FUCKIN AUS MAYTE)
KENNY KEN (BRIT)
SHY FX (RAD)

Perfect lineup much?

bobby bob bob
Location: Bob Fossil's Funpark, near the black & white Chinese people that eat sticks

Post by bobby bob bob »

ulyssian wrote:'All local Line Up'
'Local supports including'
'Locals'

Not a derogatory term IMO... just allows for people to be proud that the MCs or DJs come from the location.... ie: (syd) (WA) etc... in some ways it is even better to be regarded as a local because there is a greater sense of the want to support your own, it can be more personal, and people around the area and country can look up to these 'locals' and see what they have achieved without thinking its just a pipe dream.

I like the internattys, but there is nothing more amazing sometimes when an internatty has played and the locals.... 'our locals' give the night it's finishing touches. That's when i wish more people would stay back to support local not just leave cos the internatty has finished.

Not 2nd rate by no means...

Love Local & Support Local!!!

Hear Hear. Exactly what I was going to write.

And I would say that the peeps claiming you as a local, LowQui you should take as a compliment; you are one of us, and that's great.

Much like how New Zealand liked to claim Russell Crowe as one of theirs when he had international success. It is just a sense of pride, m8.

To put maybe a new topic of debate into it -
A good gig is a good gig; doesn't matter to me anyway where the acts are from. Just as happy to see a Dust or a Finna set as long it pops, and maybe is that to do with the fact that the DJs are playing rekkids that are available to overseas djs as well? I know (before djs shoot me down) that DJing is about creating a journey, vibing the room, about mixing and juggling and creating work on the fly. But still from a pre recorded piece of music on the whole..

Then is the difference in the MC, who is performing, forming new, live music with their words and flow over the top of vinyl or CD?? I dig Lowqui not because of where he is from, but because of his spare flow and approachability, and would catch him fronting over a tourer anyday. Give me him over a GQ anyday..

Anyway, if it matters to the artists about what epithet comes after their name then I guess they should take it up with the promoters. Maybe some punters are taken in with the country being put after the name, but I would surmise that the majority of D+B punters out there are discerning, and know what they like regardless of country of origin.

Now if we can just get Kemo or SP:MC to move over..
Amick

Post by Amick »

lpeake wrote:kenny ken and shy fx on the same night in melbourne?

KENNY KEN (BRIT)
SHY FX (RAD)

Perfect lineup much?
I'd be just as happy if it was just Trooper tbh.
deviant

Post by deviant »

I honestly don't see the problem.... suck it up imo

I guess the only thing is that you see locals all the time... I mean, they live here... so they gig here all the time, even the really good DJs/MCs aren't that exciting once you've seen them three times that month.

Adding an international name to the bill adds interest and gets people excited to see someone different..

We've tried "headlining" local acts many times... occasionally this works, but as a general rule people do not get excited about it... unless there is some sort of family vibe or "crew" type attraction, amoung other things... hard to get headz to gigs to see the same DJs they always see, or could see next week if they miss the show.

In ecomonics I believe it's called "scarcity", which internationals have over locals, tagged as such or not.
Amick

Post by Amick »

Good input GK :teef:
eN

Post by eN »

enigneyratorelknaw wrote:wre(Local Bedroom Dj) :smt003

The world is a bigger place than local, unless you live in frankston of course :shock:
Like Carl Cox?
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

I'M NOT A LOCAL, I'M A SICK CUNT!!!!!!!!!
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

same o wrote:I'M NOT A LOCAL, I'M A SICK CUNT!!!!!!!!!
LOL
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

deviant wrote:same as a diseased vag?
one of your best posts Daniel....

well played.

well played indeed.

:smt005
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

eN wrote:
enigneyratorelknaw wrote:wre(Local Bedroom Dj) :smt003

Like Carl Cox?
who?
Raider

Post by Raider »

Amick wrote:
lpeake wrote:kenny ken and shy fx on the same night in melbourne?

KENNY KEN (BRIT)
SHY FX (RAD)

Perfect lineup much?
I'd be just as happy if it was just Trooper tbh.
hmm, I'd be happy with that too. But I'm actually quite liking the look of this lineup. Trooper is just.. Trooper, nuff said really. Kenny Ken has the raw mixing skill and Shy FX brings the dubs. WIN-WIN-WIN

Raider

Post by Raider »

FRAKSHA... wrote:i get UK after my name still and i've lived here 3 years...on the flipside i'm playing in Reading, UK week after next with Noisia and they billed me as (AUS) :) leave for three years and thats what happens! i'm gonna come out chatting 'cunt this cunt that' :)
omg I'm gunna be at that gig! I'm travellin UK at the moment... if I get a chance I'll come say hi maybe? :)